Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:05 am 
Anthony wrote:
Sinead O'Connor huh? Never woulda thought you'd like any of her songs or any videos featuring her.

Sometimes great songs makes bad videos and sometimes bad songs make great videos. In this particular case, an above average love song made a tremendous, artful video. Having said that, this song is only better then some of the others that have already been listed. However, this video is better then all of the others that have already been listed.

songs =/= videos

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:51 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
That was nice to see again, I remember it in the day also.....
and funny SNL reminders Anthony.... :clap:

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:43 pm 
14) INXS - Need You Tonight/Mediate - (1987)

Link

I was seven years old when this video first came out and this was one of the very first videos I remember seeing from my childhood as it was around this time when I started watching MTV nonstop. I can vividly recall the very first time I saw the classic MTV's Top 20 Video Countdown that this was the number one clip that particular week. The first half of this video (aka the Need You Tonight segment) is really cool, but the clincher is when it kicks into the Mediate segment and the fitting tribute to Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues, erroneous cue cards and all! This clip also won the Video Of The Year award in 1988. This was the type of video that you just turned on MTV and just waited for it to come on, time and time again. Plus, this is easily the best video ever featuring a Kevin Bacon lookalike on guitar! It just doesn't get much cooler than this.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:00 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Mr Cyril, thanks for posting these, some interesting choices. I am not an INXS fan, yet I did like the cue card segment.

Love the "Radiohead- Just " video, its quite cryptic. I love Depeche Mode, the video is ok, could have been better imho. Man, Fiona
Apple's vocals are great, she could have sang in cabarets, when she first came out, I felt her magic.

Keep the cool vids coming good sir.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:50 am 
Mr.Z wrote:

Well, I promise that there will be at least 13 more to come in this thread! :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:14 pm 
13) Fatboy Slim - Weapon Of Choice - (2000)

Surprisingly, this is the first entry on my list from the brilliant mind of director Spike Jonze. This video and the people responsible for it are not only winners just for getting Christopher Walken to do this video, but also for letting him choreograph some of his own dance moves and letting him do most of his own stunts. Apparently, Walken only had a stunt double do two of his stunts in this video. I never got into much music like this before, but based on how awesome this video was I dug a little bit deeper and have since become a mild fan of Fatboy Slim's music. This whole video wins in so many ways. Even just the concept of it is genius, let alone the way they pulled it all off. Walken rules, but Jonze is the real star of this video. More on him later.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:15 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
Mr.Z wrote:

Well, I promise that there will be at least 13 more to come in this thread! :)

I know you are a great man of your word. Much Thanks

MrZ

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:12 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
13) Fatboy Slim - Weapon Of Choice - (2000): Who knew Walken could dance? This was a fun video simply for his Fred Astaire work-out.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:07 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:
Who knew Walken could dance?

That's what I thought too, but apparently he is a classically trained dancer.

Per Wikipedia:

Walken studied at Hofstra University on Long Island, but did not graduate. Walken initially trained as a dancer in musical theatre before moving on to dramatic roles in theatre and then film.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:23 pm 
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
yes, we are waiting patiently Cyril nothing yet today, must be watching the convention... :clap:

I just noticed this comment, even though it was posted weeks ago. I have not missed a single day since I started this so what did you mean?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:00 pm 
12) Robert Palmer - Addicted To Love - (1985)

This video was directed by the late Terence Donovan who committed suicide back in the 90's by hanging himself after an adverse reaction to steroids. The fact is, he was probably just bummed out that he came up with an idea as cool as this one and got ripped off by other people countless times. What a drag! Seriously though, this video was so goddamn cool at the time of it's release that every guy I knew wanted to be just like Robert Palmer. What a life that would be. Singing hit songs with an all female band dressed to the nines and made up like models backing you up, come on! This concept would later be used more famously in Palmer's clip for Simply Irresistible but this original is where my money is. I just like the fact that the girls are actually handling the instruments and not just posing in this one much better.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:14 pm 

Definitely one of my all time favorite videos. This is so signature 80's it transcends the ages.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:00 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Dr M, I concur, great vid, love the lovely ladies in black. They look like quadruplets from the future.
80s music was/is great.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:51 pm 
Mr.Z wrote:
They look like quadruplets from the future.

Don't you mean quintuplets? ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:17 pm 
11) Pearl Jam - Jeremy - (1992)

We return to Bayonne High School again (the same school where Nada Surf's Popular was shot) to meet up with acclaimed director Mark Pellington and Pearl Jam for their take on the 1991 suicide of Texas high school student Jeremy Wade Delle. Yes, this video was based on a true story alright, which is why it caught so much heat back in the early 90's. The version I have posted above is the one we all know and love, but for a short time when this was first released there was a version where we actually see the gun in his mouth just before he pulls the trigger. That version was banned shortly after this video was released and all versions of the video were banned after the Columbine High School massacre of 1999. This won four awards at the 1993 MTV VMAs including Video Of The Year. The unedited version is listed below:

Link

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
12 and 11, I love those songs and videos too, Nice!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:46 am 
So, are you f@%kers ready for the top 10 or what? It's hard to believe it has been 40 days since I started this thing and I have yet to miss a day. Do I rule or what? ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:48 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Cyril The Thrill wrote:
So, are you f@%kers ready for the top 10 or what? It's hard to believe it has been 40 days since I started this thing and I have yet to miss a day. Do I rule or what? ;)

Well I don't know about whether you rule or not.

But I am ready for the top 10 bro. :clap:

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:51 am 

Jeremy - I can still only understand about a 1/3 of what the hell Eddie Vedder is saying in this song. Great groove on this song and entire album - hell of a debut. This was probably there best video off this or any of their follow-ups.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:40 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:
This was probably there best video off this or any of their follow-ups.

I'd say it most assuredly was. Both Alive and Even Flow were pretty much strictly performance style videos and bored the hell out of me, despite the fact that I really like both songs. After they made the Jeremy video, they stopped making them for many years so there isn't much competition.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:46 pm 
10) Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - (1991)

Link

It is hard to believe that this was the very first video that Samuel Bayer (director of Blind Melon's No Rain video) ever directed, but it most certainly was. This clip was pretty much responsible for the death of hair metal and for the birth of grunge rock and modern alternative music. This thing got so much damn airplay when it was new that it was unbelievable. Even though I saw this video literally over a hundred times as an adolescent I just couldn't get enough of it. I have seen this clip as the number one of all time on some similar lists but I just can't justify it. In fact, this beat out Jeremy by a single point (94-93) on my scale to even crack the top ten. While this was such a groundbreaking video, it was barely even Nirvana's best. Anton Corbijn's video for Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box video scored a 92 on my scale. It's crazy to think this, but this video almost didn't make it at all!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:34 pm 

Understandable. I think the song made the video. This song became the anthem of Generation "X" and that punk had evolved. Radio and Video was in desperate need of an enema -

Now, in direct contrast to entry #12 - which surmised the 80's - this was a 90's Angry Youth Rebellion. This simple yet primal high school gym will never be the same. Instead of a group filled with Peace, Love and Understanding it was Anger, Frustration, and poignant Discontent.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:39 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:
I think the song made the video.

I can agree with that assessment to an extent. What I find ironic and kind of bandwagonish is the fact that this video didn't even win the Video Of The Year award in 1992, yet every time since Cobain's death in 1994 (just two years later) until several years ago this was their number one video of all time every time they did their own countdown.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:04 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Cyril The Thrill wrote:

You rule sir, you rule!!! :D :) :D

Rock on!!!

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:52 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Excited about the top 10. Can't believe 40 days passed already -- time is flying!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:18 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Excited about the top 10. Can't believe 40 days passed already -- time is flying!

Cosign

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:58 pm 
9) Weezer - Buddy Holly - (1994)

Spike Jonze returns with another awesome video here. This video portrays Weezer performing at the original Arnold's Drive-In diner from the popular '70s television show, Happy Days. The video combined contemporary footage of the band with clips from the show. Happy Days cast member Al Molinaro made a cameo appearance in the video. Al plugs his hometown, Kenosha, Wisconsin, in the introduction. In the memorable climax, clever editing (and a stunt double) allowed Fonzie to dance to the band's performance. The video was met with great popularity and heavy rotation on MTV and scored four awards at the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards, including prizes for Breakthrough Video and Best Alternative Video. This is certainly one of the "coolest" videos ever created.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:52 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Its a cool Weezer video, just wish the lead singer had alot more BASS in his voice. I wish he had a deeper voice.

Great work Mr Cyril

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:52 pm 
8) Guns N' Roses - November Rain - (1992)

Link

I remember watching MTV's World Premiere of this video back in 1992 very well. It had been hyped like crazy in the weeks preceding it's release and everyone was talking about it. Hell, even my mother and my step-father at the time watched the premiere of the video with me and they didn't care for Guns N' Roses one bit. At least it seemed that way from them telling me to turn down my music quite frequently and back in those days I was jamming to a hell of a lot of G'N'R. While the true nature of the story in the video isn't entirely clear, it's simply so cool that it doesn't even matter. The shots of Slash playing outside of that old school church are some of my favorite performance shots of all time. G'N'R had many great videos, but this one takes the cake. Or should I have said, this one takes the wedding cake?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:58 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Weezer and Nirvana...

Outstanding Cyril!!! "Buddy Holly" is probably my favorite video ever.

I can honestly say that I caught Nirvana before they got huge. "Smelles Like Teen Spirit" was a game-changer like almost no other song I can think of.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:34 pm 
Thanks for the reply, although I think a lot of folks are going to disagree with my next selection. Not with the artist, mind you, but with the video I chose for that particular artist.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:13 pm 
7) Madonna - Frozen - (1998)

Link

I know a lot of you are going to disagree with this choice, but that's a true shame because this truly is the finest video Madonna has ever released. She certainly did have her fair share of very good videos over the years, but to me this one stands out because it is just so different compared to any of her other efforts thanks in part to Chris Cunningham's fantastic directing vision. The fact that this is my favorite song by her probably has a lot to do with me liking the video so much as well. I'm not a big fan of hers at all, but both this song and especially the video I can never grow tired of. Kudos to Madonna for seeking out such an experimental director and having the guts to let Cunningham do his thing with no interference from the record label. This has to be the greatest video by a female solo artist of all time. At least in my own humble opinion.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:05 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Sir Cyrillll!!!!!! Great work!!!!

I really like the Madonna video, what detracts from it, imho, is Madonna's vocals, and the song is a bit long and slow paced.
Sounds like I am dissing it, not quite, I like the darkness of the vid, plus she looks like a walking Rorshach ink blot ( I am sure our resident Mr. R would
be delighted to see this one). I like how she transforms alot, the Indian henna on the hands are a nice touch, love the dark gown, and the night sky
is appealing.
I am a fan of the video, not a huge fan of the song, sorry. I think Madonna was great in her Material Girl days. Like a Prayer, Like A Virgin, Holiday, Lucky Star, were all great imho.

I never cared much for her vocals from "Spanish Lulaby" to beyond, with exceptions. Her voice changed imho.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 pm 
6) Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight - (1996)

Link

Directed by the acclaimed husband and wife duo Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, this is the Smashing Pumpkins finest video and one of the greatest clips ever made. Normally it is pretty tough to choose just one video per artist when they have so many great ones like the Smashing Pumpkins do (both 1979 and Today are excellent), but in this case it was a no brainer. The video itself was mainly based on the 1902 French film A Trip To The Moon because the album cover reminded the directors so much of the old turn of the century silent films and the moon on the album cover was pretty similar to the one in that particular film. This video also has the largest margin of victory ever for an MTV Video Of The Year award, apparently it received 87% of the votes. This video was so cool and so special that any list that doesn't include it is just absurd.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Cyril The Thrill wrote:

I know a lot of you are going to disagree with this choice, but that's a true shame because this truly is the finest video Madonna has ever released.

I have to agree with you on this one, Frozen is Madonna's best video by far. An excellent choice if I do say so myself.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:07 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Major wrote:
Cyril The Thrill wrote:

I know a lot of you are going to disagree with this choice, but that's a true shame because this truly is the finest video Madonna has ever released.

I have to agree with you on this one, Frozen is Madonna's best video by far. An excellent choice if I do say so myself.

I think " Material Girl " is her second best video, after this.

Great vid selections, Sir Cy.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:11 pm 

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
6) Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight - (1996)

Great video - the band, eh - but the video, excellent.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:25 pm 
I could make a whole thread later with my top ten Madonna videos, she has so many that are great.

In any event, we're down to the top five! It's hard to believe I have been doing this for 45+ days now!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:27 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:
the band, eh

I couldn't disagree more! The Smashing Pumpkins are probably one of my 10-15 favorite recording artists of all time. How much of them have you heard other than the hits?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:57 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

The SP video looks like it took alot of $ and time to make, I personally do not like the look of
it. Billy C. looks like Leo Dicaprio in that hat, btw. I wish he too had a much DEEPER voice, altough, the instrumentation
is superb.

Great job, Sir Cy.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:21 am 

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
DrMoreau wrote:
the band, eh

I couldn't disagree more! The Smashing Pumpkins are probably one of my 10-15 favorite recording artists of all time. How much of them have you heard other than the hits?

Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness I've probably heard more then any other Albums. The Aeroplane Flies High comes in close third. The music is tight and the lyrics are often interesting - But Billy Corgan voice grates on me. Much like Dylan and Neil Young do as well. Probably the main reason I don't enjoy the was pure over saturation by every wannabe 90's hippie who pretentiously preached that they found a new sound - wrong. They revitalized late 60's early 70's rock - but I digress.

I first saw them open up for another band, Guns and Roses if memory serves me correctly, and they were very lack luster. Corgan can write a good song but is not my idea of a "front man" for a band. Then again, hard to compete with the likes of GnR. It was very much like Prince opening for the Stones - it just didn't work. Side note: A band called GUN also played on the tour and SP was sandwiched between 2 hard rock bands, not the place you'd want to be for their music. GUN made me a fan, SP failed to impress, and GnR kicked ass. 1st impressions as they say.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:32 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:
Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness I've probably heard more then any other Albums.

You should really check out their first album called Gish. It is pretty much the blueprint for all space rock and dream pop style modern rock bands.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I totally forgot about that track from Madonna! I'm glad you put that in there bro -- it's definitely a good song and the video is pretty tight.

As for The Smashing Pumpkins, they're my favorite alternative rock band of the 90s, AND Tonight, Tonight is my favorite song and video from them. Excellent choice!!

Top 5....(drum roll)

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:15 pm 
5) a-ha - Take On Me - (1985)

Video no longer exists on YouTube due to copyright claim by WMG

As average at best as this actual song is to me, you cannot discount this highly innovative video from the mind of classic music video director Steve Barron. This clip is almost singlehandedly responsible for bringing the amazing technique known as rotoscoping into the mainstream, or it least in the eyes of pop culture. At the time this was released nobody had ever seen anything like it. Not you. Not me. Nobody. In fact, if it weren't for the low quality of the song, this may even be bumped up a spot or two. However, this song is quite dated and more cheesy now then ever before. Perhaps I was too young at the time it was popular, but I don't know how anyone would want to ever hear this song without it's remarkable accompanying video. That just goes to show how awesome this clip is for me to rate it so high despite not liking this song one bit. I wonder what ever happened to Bunty Bailey.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

This [ A-Ha's ] is a fine video, way ahead of its time, it looks like cartoon fragments sliced together, and yes the song is not the best out there, could be a much harder beat. Cool vid.

According to IMDb ( I like the initials: IMD alot better): Bunty Bailey is in a 2008 movie called :Defunct. Its directed by Paul Rawson.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:07 pm 

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
5) a-ha - Take On Me - (1985)

This clip is almost singlehandedly responsible for bringing the amazing technique known as rotoscoping into the mainstream, or it least in the eyes of pop culture. At the time this was released nobody had ever seen anything like it. Not you. Not me. Nobody
I disagree but that would be for another thread. :P

Rotoscoping perfectly suited this video though. As you stated, Cyril, why would you ever listen to the song without the video? If you actually listen to the words, it's sad and depressing. Very much in contrast to this light, bright, and happy video. Guaranteed certainty that Video made this song a hit.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 pm 
4) Van Halen - Right Now - (1992)

This was my favorite video of all time up until several years ago. While this is not Van Halen's best song by any means, it is still a pretty damn good one to say the least. There was nothing totally original nor was there any revolutionary new concept about this video, it just fit the song to absolute perfection. The timing of it's release was also a bonus with the way America was on the border of the Bush and Clinton administrations. Other than this clip and the infamous video for Hot For Teacher I was never very big on Van Halen's videos despite being a big fan of theirs, but this one stands out far too much and is just very special. This is yet another Video Of The Year winner at the MTV Video Music Awards as well. And plus, how can the video for the anthem to the short lived Crystal Pepsi possibly not make the top five?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:51 am 
3) Beastie Boys - Sabotage - (1994)

While this falls in at number three on my countdown of "greatest" videos, this happens to be my personal favorite music video of all time. This is the third and final appearance from director Spike Jonze on this list as well. The story behind this video is pretty cool actually. Jonze was hired to photograph the Beastie Boys (whom he had already worked with in the past) for a Rolling Stone article and he chose to dress them in these 1970's cop outfits and they all had a blast. Then when Jonze was hired to direct this video for them a short while later he suggested they use the same theme and the rest is history. This video is so cool that my two best friends and I actually dressed up as the threesome of detectives in this video for Halloween last year. Our costumes were pretty dead on too and everywhere we went we stole the show! I am hoping we can reprise our roles again this year.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:54 pm 
I just want to add that the final two videos to come are the only two to receive perfect scores of 100 (the next highest was of course Sabotage which got a 98) on my scoresheet. I had a hell of a time trying to pick which should be number one and which should be number two, but I finally have it all set.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:30 pm 

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
3) Beastie Boys - Sabotage - (1994)

Ah yes - it's Saboh-taaaage! Great video in its tongue and cheek homage to 70's cop/crime shows. The funk track is right-on! Nice choice, Cyril.

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
4) Van Halen - Right Now - (1992)

I could have sworn I commented on this - but it appears not. RIGHT NOW SOMEONE IS WALKING ON A NUDE BEACH FOR THE FIRST TIME! Half the fun of this video was watching the pop up blurbs about what was happening in the time it took to play the song. There is a whole world happening out there - get out and experience it. Whatta ya waitin' for?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next