Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:41 pm 
30) Genesis - Land Of Confusion - (1986)

Link

The first video cracking my top 30 is definitely one of the weirdest ones here. This video used to give me nightmares when I was a kid and it almost still does. The puppetry in this video is incredible and the concept was certainly original at the time. This video won a Grammy for the Best Concept Video Of The Year and was also nominated at the MTV Video Music Awards for the coveted Video Of The Year award but lost in an ironic twist of fate (more on that later) to another artist. If you thought the real Phil Collins was an ugly son of a bitch, wait until you see the puppet version of him. It is absolutely hideous to say the least. I was always a fan of Ronald Reagan, but I can get off on the type of humor they are going for here. The Superman costume seals the deal for me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:25 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Fun Video - and yes Phil is an Ugly SOB as a puppet.

Note: Toni Basil - Hey Mickey - not an earth shattering video then or now. I appreciate not seeing it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:11 pm 
29) The Replacements - Bastards Of Young - (1986)

Video no longer exists on YouTube. Removed by YouTube client

When this video was released, it was made in an effort to protest against MTV and all music videos in general. However, once MTV began to air it, the video became an instant classic. I have seen this video crack the top ten on a lot of similar lists, but for as cool and controversial as it was there is certainly a lack of substance compared to just about any other video you put it up against. I am also not a huge fan of The Replacements at all, so that may also explain why I have this one rated so low. To be quite honest, it was pretty difficult to include this video at all considering some of the honorable mentions that didn't make it which I will list at the end of the countdown. But this video does belong on this list somewhere and 29 is where it ended up.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:31 pm 
28) Aphex Twin - Windowlicker - (1999)

Video no longer exists on YouTube due to terms of use violation

To say that director Chris Cunningham is a genius would be an understatement. This video is absolutely brilliant in every aspect. From the profanity laden intro to the disturbing imagery during the music and even the closing credit listings, this is just simply an awesome clip. The video is mainly a parody of all the narcissistic hip-hop and rap videos that were all over the airwaves in the late 90's. Cunningham basically makes all of those idiot rappers look like the untalented morons they are by using their own tricks to his advantage. What we are left with is a hilariously over-the-top video that you will never forget seeing after just one viewing. The only reason this clip isn't rated higher is because I'm not a big fan of this genre of music. More on Cunningham later.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:36 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
So is that Replacements video the cheapest one ever made? It's gotta be that one or the George Michael one "Praying For Time" which just has white text on a black background.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:56 am 
Anthony wrote:
So is that Replacements video the cheapest one ever made?

It's highly likely that it's a contender. I'm sure there are a lot of very cheap videos, just not as high of a profile as that one.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:52 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
I had never seen Windowlicker before! Where on earth would that have played with that kind of language--they must have beeped the hell out of it!! Pretty funny...
also long ago memories brought back with Land Of Confusion, those were the days.......remember them well....thanks Cyril!

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:36 pm 
Frequent Mailer
Frequent Mailer

Interesting list!

I'm a fan of music (not music video in particular) & while I was in college at the time MTV started, it was pretty fun seeing your favorite bands as opposed to just listening to them. It was also an opportunity to see more power pop and new wave bands than you could hear on commercial radio. It's presence spawned a vast array of substantive and frivolous acts in the '80's. But the music video (thankfully) fell out of favor as a necessary promotional tool by the late-'80's. When MTV started inventing game shows and re-running Monty Python's Flying Circus, the writing was on the wall.

It's great that we can go to YouTube & look at them again. I think the reason most of us enjoy them now is for laughs or memories, or both. It was a time when hairstyle and makeup (as much male as female) mattered as much, if not more than, musical ability. Bands are still making music videos, but their significance in popular culture is essentially non-existent. Who even remembers a video from 1994? Or 2001? Who cared then? Who cares now? The music is what matters. The Replacements were right. "Seen your video... we don't wanna know..."

With that said, I'm enjoying the posts, and looking forward to more. This is fun because Cyril is looking at this through varied criteria and a different generational perspective. I would have ranked the Talking Heads & Replacements higher due to their importance in the history of music video, such as it was. But it's not my list.

Anyway, thanks for the memories!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:11 pm 
27) Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf - (1983)

Link

Director Russell Mulcahy (the Highlander films and many classic music videos) took the band's suggestion of a jungle and exotic women and molded this video into a parody/tribute to the film Raiders Of The Lost Ark. The entire clip was shot in Sri Lanka on a shoestring budget and the results were fabulous. Les Garland, senior executive vice president at MTV, said “I remember our director of talent and artist relations came running in and said, ‘You have got to see this video that’s come in.’ Duran Duran were getting zero radio airplay at the time, and MTV wanted to try to break new music. ‘Hungry Like the Wolf’ was the greatest video I’d ever seen.” "Hungry Like the Wolf" was #11 on the century-end MTV "100 Greatest Videos Ever Made".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:42 am 

Fun video. I had 2 girlfriends during the Duran Duran craze that would stop on a dime for a DD song - especially this one. I always preferred "The Chauffeur," video myself, but hey - that's just me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:14 am 
The General
The General

You continue to bring back da memories Cyril.....had not heard this one in years! Thanks... :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:23 am 
26) Bjork - Human Behaviour - (1993)

Video no longer exists on YouTube due to copyright claim by WMG

Another masterpiece from director Michel Gondry. This was Bjork's debut single as a solo artist after her departure from The Sugarcubes and her very first video and to me and most folks, her best. The Chris Cunningham directed All Is Full Of Love is an extremely close second and the Spike Jonze directed It's Oh So Quiet is a not so distant third in the catalog of Bjork videos. In actuality, all of her videos are really great but this one stands out to me the most. It was nominated for six MTV VMAs, but didn't win any of them. I was 13 or 14 when I first saw this and I loved it from the get go. I still do but for much different reasons, as I am able to interpret subliminal messages better now. And if you thought you had your fill of Gondry, you haven't seen anything yet.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:24 am 
We're now officially halfway home, folks! :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:09 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
We're now officially halfway home, folks! :)

Not too bad a video, but I can't stand Bjork or BAJORK, as O&A call her.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:05 pm 
25) Lisa Loeb - Stay (I Missed You) - (1994)

Link

This video proves that bigger is not always better. This entire clip is just one shot with no editing whatsoever, although it is hard to notice the first few times you watch. This girl was an overnight sensation after this song appeared on the Reality Bites soundtrack and it's accompanying video was put into heavy rotation on MTV airwaves. Lisa Loeb became the only unsigned artist in American history to top the singles chart with this catchy little tune. Directed by her good friend Ethan Hawke (yes THAT Ethan Hawke) it was shot in Loeb's own New York City apartment. She never even came close to duplicating the fame she got when this song topped the charts, but we'll always have this great video of the adorable girl in her cat's eye glasses that doesn't have the heart to leave her man to remind us of the good old days.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:34 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Not a big Lisa Loeb fan, but she's pretty damn talented IMO. She's still around too, which is cool, I see her on late night talk shows performing sometimes. She was even in an episode of the great yet short lived Cupid series on ABC, which I hear is returning with a different cast.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:09 am 
Anthony wrote:
Not too bad a video, but I can't stand Bjork...

That's too bad because I think she's great! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:10 pm 

You're loseing me with these last two, Cyril. Bjork - greatly talented but her voice annoys me. Lisa Loeb live is better than any of her videos.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:20 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:
You're loseing me with these last two, Cyril. Bjork - greatly talented but her voice annoys me. Lisa Loeb live is better than any of her videos.

Stick around, it gets better. Plus, it's about the videos and not (too much) about the songs themselves on this list. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:46 pm 

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
Plus, it's about the videos and not (too much) about the songs themselves on this list. :)
Point taken. ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:55 pm 
meatbag wrote:
I would have ranked the Talking Heads & Replacements higher due to their importance in the history of music video, such as it was.

I can understand where you are coming from, but in the big picture I think those two videos lack the substance of a lot of others, especially those yet to come. Especially The Replacements' video. It's just a single shot of a speaker. Sure it was a great statement at the time, but 20+ years later it is not nearly as relevant as it once was.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:55 pm 
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
I had never seen Windowlicker before! Where on earth would that have played with that kind of language--they must have beeped the hell out of it!! Pretty funny...

Well, it was shown on MTV late at night with the entire intro removed as well as some of the racier scenes and they also excluded the closing credits. Without all of that, it's not even worth watching, but with it this video is one of the greatest of all time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:00 pm 
24) Foo Fighters - Everlong - (1997)

This is the third entry from the brilliant mind of Michel Gondry and the best example of a great music video thus far. In the "How I Convinced Dave Grohl to Make That Video" chapter of the book that accompanied the DVD of his music videos, Gondry explains the difficulties he had. These included not being able to show a woman in bed with Grohl due to his then-girlfriend's jealousy (which is why drummer Taylor Hawkins plays that role), as well as guitarist Pat Smear worrying about the negative impact his character could have on his image. Gondry also states that the video represents different fantasies - for men, the use of violence to save a woman, and for women, the act of being rescued. More on both Grohl and Gondry again later. Stay tuned!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:45 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Excellent! Great song, great video, great album.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:26 am 

Co-Sign. Love the foo. Love the concept behind this video and segues in and out of dream state.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:42 pm 
The General
The General

co-sign part III---what fun we are having with your video choices, Cyril!! :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:22 pm 
23) Chris Isaak - Wicked Game - (1991)

This has got to be the sexiest music video of all time. Helena Christensen was so hot back then that she nearly melts the screen. The chemistry between her and Chris Isaak is very good and the black and white cinematography really pays off in a big way. Photographer extraordinaire, the late Herb Ritts, directed this clip and based on the popularity of this video went on to direct for many artists much more famous then Isaak. He was also the favorite photographer of supermodels and celebrities the world over, including being Cindy Crawford's go to guy back in her heyday. The video won the MTV Video Music Awards for Best Male Video, Best Cinematography and Best Video From A Film. A previous version of the video was commissioned for the Wild At Heart soundtrack, and was directed by David Lynch.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:27 am 

Love both the video and the song - glad to see it came in at the respectable 23 place setting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:17 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:
Love both the video and the song - glad to see it came in at the respectable 23 place setting.

I was never a very big fan of the song itself (I prefer the instrumental version from the movie) but this video is amazing to say the least. Isaak really fell out of the spotlight after this one though. I cannot name even one more song of his off the top of my head!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:01 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Cyril The Thrill wrote:

The first video cracking my top 30 is definitely one of the weirdest ones here. This video used to give me nightmares when I was a kid and it almost still does. The puppetry in this video is incredible and the concept was certainly original at the time. This video won a Grammy for the Best Concept Video Of The Year and was also nominated at the MTV Video Music Awards for the coveted Video Of The Year award but lost in an ironic twist of fate (more on that later) to another artist. If you thought the real Phil Collins was an ugly son of a bitch, wait until you see the puppet version of him. It is absolutely hideous to say the least. I was always a fan of Ronald Reagan, but I can get off on the type of humor they are going for here. The Superman costume seals the deal for me.

I was 22 years old when the "Land of Confusion" video came out and I thought it was freaky even at that age...actually I still do. Great choice!

Big Ronnie Reagan fan here, too (just don't tell Ramennoodle). :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:35 pm 
22) Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing - (1990)

Back to some good old 90's alternative rock here. This video was so cool and got so much airplay when it first came out that if you watched MTV at all in late 1990 or early to mid 1991 that you'll clearly remember this one. While this is not Jane's Addiction's best song by any means, this video was very fun, highly original and best of all it fit the context of the song with sheer perfection. This clip just makes you want to go to the supermarket and rip off a bar of soap or something. Perry Farrell's performance shots with the stocking over his head are also a very nice touch. I had almost completely forgotten about this clip before I researched some similar lists before making my own. I'm sure glad I did my homework because leaving this video out would have been as bad as shoplifting. Get it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:36 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Cool video, decent song. I think this is the only Jane's Addiction song I like of the ones I've heard anyway.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:04 am 
Anthony wrote:
Cool video, decent song. I think this is the only Jane's Addiction song I like of the ones I've heard anyway.

Their entire first album, Nothing's Shocking, is very good. This song is from their second album, which was not as good, but had several highlights including what I think is their best song: Three Days.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:39 pm 

The thing I remember most about this song - it was played in almost every strippers set I knew from 1990 to about 96.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:36 pm 
21) Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity - (1996)

First thing's first, if I were a millionaire I would totally have a room like the one in this video in my house. How awesome would that be? Director Jonathan Glazer (more on him later) came up with the concept for this brilliant clip. The video earned recognition from critics for its special effects: the floor appears to move while the rest of the room stays still, allowing for vocalist Jay Kay to perform moves not normally seen in music videos. In reality, the walls were moving and the floor was stationary. At the 1997 MTV Video Music Awards, it earned ten nominations, winning four awards, including the coveted Video Of The Year award. I mean, who in their right mind wouldn't want to kick back and relax on a bleeding couch or easy chair? I know I'm game!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:18 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Another great choice! Both the video and the song are extremely cool. I especially like the part where he tiptoes between the couch and the wall. But you know, I have this CD and I can't listen to it other than this song and "Cosmic Girl".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:58 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
Another great choice! Both the video and the song are extremely cool. I especially like the part where he tiptoes between the couch and the wall.

Co-sign.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:59 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
At the 1997 MTV Video Music Awards, it earned ten nominations, winning four awards, including the coveted Video Of The Year award.

I don't know how coveted this award is anymore -- Britney Spears took it home this year for a piece of garbage vid.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 pm 
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Cyril The Thrill wrote:
At the 1997 MTV Video Music Awards, it earned ten nominations, winning four awards, including the coveted Video Of The Year award.

I don't know how coveted this award is anymore -- Britney Spears took it home this year for a piece of garbage vid.

Even though Piece Of Me is just an above average video in my book, it was far better then the other nominees. Meanwhile, Jamiroquai beat out two very good other artists and two very good videos that almost made the cut on this list. The fact of the matter is that videos just aren't nearly as good as they used to be.

Having said that, it's time to break into my top 20!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:11 pm 
20) The White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl - (2002)

Link

Michel Gondry returns yet again with another brilliant clip. This was the coolest thing ever when it came out, as it really opened a lot of doors for The White Stripes. It was shot frame by frame with each frame having the Lego bricks rebuilt, sometimes in a complex manner to seem as if it were an actual shot, and then formed together to give the illusion of motion. The video mostly consists of red, white, and black color. However, one section, lasting only a few seconds, used computer animation to simulate the Lego bricks. The video won three MTV Video Music Awards in 2002: Breakthrough Video, Best Special Effects, and Best Editing. It also received a nomination for Video Of The Year, but lost out to Eminem's Without Me, which will absolutely not be appearing on this countdown. This is Gondry's fourth entry thus far.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Cyril The Thrill wrote:

Even though Piece Of Me is just an above average video in my book, it was far better then the other nominees. Meanwhile, Jamiroquai beat out two very good other artists and two very good videos that almost made the cut on this list. The fact of the matter is that videos just aren't nearly as good as they used to be.

Having said that, it's time to break into my top 20!

Pretty cool. I think this is the first time I've seen that Jamiroquai video all the way through, as I stopped watching MTV around 1996, when Beavis and Butthead ended, tuned in occasionally to catch a Daria episode, but that was about it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:02 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Wow, another cool video with The White Stripes. Kinda trippy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:43 pm 
19) R.E.M. - Losing My Religion - (1991)

This video was directed by master Indian director Tarsem Singh. As opposed to previous R.E.M. videos, Michael Stipe agreed to lip sync the lyrics. The video originated as a combination of ideas envisioned by Stipe and Singh. Stipe wanted the promo to be a straightforward performance video. Singh wanted to create a video in the style of a certain type of Indian film making, where everything would be "melodramatic and wry dreamlike", according to Stipe. The music video was nominated in nine categories at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards. The video won six awards, including Video Of The Year, Best Group Video, Breakthrough Video, Best Art Direction, Best Direction, and Best Editing. Sheer beauty.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:45 pm 
STOP! Gondry time!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:01 pm 
18) Daft Punk - Around The World - (1997)

Link

The fifth entry from the genius mind of Michel Gondry is the only video I have ever seen that features all of the following: robots, tall athletes with tracksuits wearing small prosthetic heads, sexy female synchronized swimmers, skeletons and mummies. This is meant to be a visual representation of the song; each element in the video represents a different instrument. According to Gondry's notes, the robots represent the singing robot voice; the physicality and small-minded rapidity of the athletes symbolizes the ascending/descending bass guitar; the femininity of the synchronized swimmers represents the high-pitched keyboard; the "itchy" skeletons serve for the guitars; the mummies represent the drum machine. With all of that, how can you possibly go wrong?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:13 pm 
17) Metallica - One - (1988)

This was Metallica's first and greatest video. The video is almost entirely in black & white, and features the band performing the song in a warehouse. It features dialogue and several scenes from the 1971 film adaptation of Johnny Got His Gun. Metallica bought the rights to Johnny Got His Gun so they would be able to use it exclusively for this video. Unlike many other heavy metal videos of the era, which focused on the costumes or settings, One is done rather simply. The video features the band members in a typical early Metallica fashion - playing (as if in rehearsal) in some sort of warehouse, in tight formation around Lars Ulrich's drum kit, and dressed in casual street clothes and with long untamed hair. If this isn't cool, then I don't know what is.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:01 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Hell F*#$%n yeah, Metallica, great video for a great song.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:21 pm 
16) Unkle (featuring Thom Yorke) - Rabbit In Your Headlights - (1998)

Link

Another gem from Jonathan Glazer here. Many fans of this video have had their own interpretations of what it is trying to portray. Some say the video is a euphemism for suicide. Others believe the tunnel represents life and man's journey through it. Still others believe the man's parka represents his conscience, weighing him down, and when he sheds the parka, he sheds his burden. The video has also been described as a reference to Jesus Christ. Some also say it is a reference to the movie Jacob's Ladder as the song contains a dialogue sample from it. The critically acclaimed video won the MVPA's Best International Video of the Year Award in 1999 and in 2006, Stylus Magazine ranked it number one on their list of the Top 100 Music Videos of All Time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:24 am 
15) Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U - (1990)

This clip consists almost solely of a closeup on O'Connor's face as she sings the song's lyrics. Toward the end of the video, two tears roll down her face, one per cheek. O'Connor stated on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the 90's that it was caused by the lyric "All the flowers that you planted, Mama in the back yard/All died when you went away", because she had a very complex relationship with her late mother. The clip won the Video Of The Year Award at the 1990 MTV Video Music Awards – the first ever video by a female artist to win in this category. I hadn't seen this video in ten years when I went to review it for possible inclusion on this list and I forgot about the teardrops near the latter portion of the song and my heart just sank. I guess I was just too young to appreciate the beauty of that when this was new. I also didn't dig Prince back then and he wrote this song so perhaps that's the reason.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:50 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Sinead O'Connor huh? Never woulda thought you'd like any of her songs or any videos featuring her. Personally :yack:

Remember that classic SNL sketch where Phil Hartman played Frank Sinatra and Jan Hooks played Sinead O'Connor and Hartman called her Sine-Aid O'Connor? Ah, classic, funniest SNL sketch I've ever seen.

"The bald chick, Sine-Aid O'Connor, what's with her head? Let's start with the chick. I mean, I'm lookin' at you and I'n thinkin' 14 in the side pocket." :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next