Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Unread postPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:37 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean

Movie: Hellboy

Director: Guillermo Del Toro

Year: 2004

My Rating: 9 - Excellent

An action movie with a touch of Lovecraftian Horror. Ron Perlman is unbelievably good in the lead role. His performance is physical, funny, soft and even sensitive when it needs to be. The Abe Sapien character played by Doug Jones is cool and I'm glad to see the character get a larger role in the "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" sequel.

The creatures are plentiful and the practical effects are a standout. Having Nazis and Rasputin as bad guys certainly provides a significant challenge to the team of super-powered good guys, as well.

As with all Del Toro creations, this is a great looking movie. It's one of my favorites of the "superhero" genre.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:19 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Movie: Stand by Me

Director: Rob Reiner

Year:1986 ( based on Stephen King's novella The Body (1982))

My Rating: 10/10- Great

Actors:Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, and Jerry O'Connell.

Spoilers>>>>>

This is a film about 4 boys who grow up fast,by looking for a dead body.
Simple concept, yet executed with sophistication and style. I really like the journey of these kids, and their comradery, one issue I have thoughwith their brotherhood is that Jerry's character does not get much sympathy, due to his girth. This is a minor issue, because I believe they do grow closer at the end. I feel all the characters acted well, yet River Phoenix gets most of the attention, yes he was fantastic, yet I feel the other actors held their own.

The 4 main actors are relatable, imperfect yet all seem virtuous. Their journey thru the back woods of Oregon
is a great feast for the eyes, especially traveling on the train tracks, the cinematography is amazing, and ahead of its time.

Their Antagonists ( the bullies) acted great too, they really made the audience hate them. The scene where Gordie ( one of our protagonists) draws a gun on Ace ( who is wielding a switch blade) is quite tense. It leads to the 4 friends finding the body and putting a blanket over it, I wish we saw more of the blanket, yet I digress.
I love how they feel the moral thing to do is call the authorities where the body was, and not take credit.
That is humbleness and humility.

Spoiler>>>
The ending is very sad in regards to Gordie telling us that Chris ( the leader of the boys) was fatally stabbed, I wish he was not killed, yet stories do not always do what the audience wants, sadly.

Overall, this is a visually and mentally stimulating escapade of a movie, a dark coming of age movie. Still holds up,
I feel this movie is very relatable , in regards of growing up in America, finding friends, dealing with bullies, and family issues, and wanting to find adventure. A must watch.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:50 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Movie: Reservoir Dogs

Director:
Quentin Tarantino

Year:1992

My Rating: 10/10

Actors: Harvey Keitel ,Tim Roth. Chris Penn,Steve Buscemi,Lawrence Tierney,Michael Madsen

This is an intense violent stylistic film.

Spolier>>

Essentially, this is a diamond heist movie gone crazy. A group of men are hired for this job.

They are assigned names like:Mr. Blonde, Mr. Blue, Mr. Brown, Mr. Orange, Mr. Pink, and Mr. White. To keep their anonymity.
Mr. Pink ( Buscemi) complains that he dislikes his name ( Mr.Pink), the mob boss said he could not use Mr. Black,because his past group of heisters all fought for that name. I feel this could have easily been remedied.
Give out other names that mobster types might like, how about Mr. Grey, Mr. Silver, Mr. Gold, Mr. Red. Mr. Dark, etc... A minor point, yet a simple solution.

Heist flicks are generally not my bag, yet this one is set apart from those, for these reasons, imho, first,
it is shot from the anagonists' POV, the audience can feel for them, can almost root for them to get away.
Yet, in the end we know they are thieves, and killers, which this movie makes it clear.
Second, these thugs actually have brains, and opinions, like Buschemi's character complaining about paying waitresses tips, and his fellow henchmen disagreeing, these thugs actually are not one dimensional .

I also love this film for its camera work and style, almost every scene can be framed, amazing imagery of men in black suits carrying guns, wearing shades, smoking, running into warehouses, etc...

This movie becomes a mystery, every character is doubting the other, the movie becomes a huge bloody gun fight,
with a bizarre ending.

Another Must see, that is, if you are into stylistic violent pulp fiction type movies.

( Side note: I love Pulp Fiction, yet Res. Dogs edges it out imho, sorry).

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:08 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Movie: Pulp Fiction

Director:
Quentin Tarantino

Year:1994

My Rating: 10 /10

Actors: John Travolta, , Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman

Spoiler>>

This is mainly a violent story about 2 mob hit men who go about their daily lives ( assigned jobs),
and get caught up into a boxer, a gangster wife and bandits lives.

This movie is a bit slicker looking and brighter in look and in humor than Reservoir Dogs, yet
still share the same type of ambience, men in dark suits doing bad things, the 2 movies also share
philosophizing and both have great banter/ dialogue, with so many memorable lines.
Yes, their is a lot of swearing, and some use of racial slurs, if one prefers, watch a censored version if you can find it, I believeit will be more or less as good, with the same breadth of understanding the context of the story. That is how good this film is, imho.

This movie has great acion, and a riveting story.
(One thing that I feel could have improved this movie was if
they could have edited out some of the side stories. Otherwise, an amazing movie.)

Travolta and Jackson are top notch actors, that keep you glued to the screen. Another Must watch, a true classic.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:10 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:26 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Movie: Twilight Zone The Movie

Director: John Landis (prologue & "Time Out")
Steven Spielberg ("Kick the Can")
Joe Dante ("It's a Good Life")
George Miller("Nightmare at 20,000 Feet")

Year:1983

My Rating: 6/10

I so wanted to rate this higher. It is the Zone afterall, yet I could not, sorry.

Spoilers>>>>>

I really loved the Prologue ( Something Scary),I liked "Time Out ", it is still sad about the tragedy related to this film. I found "Kick the Can" a little weak, I feel it would be better on TV, rather than for a movie." Its a Good Life"
had its moments, yet was bland and lame otherwise, sorry. "Nightmare at 20,000 feet" was very good, John Lithgow is a master actor imho. NA 20,000 ft was my favoritie cut of the movie.
I prefer this airplane wing monster better than the original monster.

My problem with this movie was , I feel they could have used more bolder episodes like To Serve Man, and
Would The Real Martian Please Stand Up, and the Lonely. More importantly, I wish they used Rod Serling's
( RIP) Visage/ face in the opening and closing scenes. The movie did not feel Twilight Zone-y enough.
I so hope for a new TZ movie soon, with more powerful episodes.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:48 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Movie :Creep Show 2

Director: GeMichael Gornick

Year:1987

My Rating: 7 /10

Stars: George Kennedy, Lois Chiles, Domenick John

I sadly have not seen Creep Show ( the first), yet.
SPOILERS>>>
Creep Show 2 is an anthology movie of 3 separate clips plus some interspersed animation. The 1st clip is " Old Chief Wood'nhead", about a cigar store wooden indian that comes to life, its a decent tale. The second tale is called The Raft, I liked this one the best, its about some teens going to a lake and being stuck on a raft ,where a monster is threatening them, a bit horrific plus there is some frontal nudity. The 3rd segment called The Hitchhiker is a decent idea of a dead hitch hiker haunting his attacker, a bit scary, yet too long and repetitive.
The animation that I mentioned deals with a small boy named Billy, and how he handles bullies, nice part of the film as well.

PtE is #1Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34