Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:56 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Happy
This is the rarest sci-fi movie every made -- if you happen to be a devoted fan of it from your 1950s childhood and yearn to see it again. It has only been shown in its entirety on TV twice since it's release over 50 years ago.

I had to wait 28 years to see it a second time in 1986 when the USA channel showed it, and I was delighted to learn that it was even better than I had remembered.

Yeah, yeah, I know --- a few years back, good old Mystery Science Theater showed an abbreviated version of this 69 minute lost classic from famed director Jack Arnold, ruining it for millions of folks who might have taken it seriously if they been allowed to see it without having to endure wisecracking silhouettes in front the screen.

There has never been a VHS or DVD release of this movie. The best bootleg source I've ever found on the web had a copy that was inferior to my own version from 1986 -- so I sent him my tape and allowed him to improve his bootleg copy for the folks who wanted it.

If you have fond memories of this movie -- either from a 1958 theatrical viewing or a 1986 TV viewing -- please let me know.

Bud

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:28 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Welcome to the board, Bud Brewster :D

Rare indeed! I've heard about this movie and have even viewed some stills and clips regarding it - but alas, I have never viewed it. For those members interested in what this rare gem may contain, here is the movie poster from 1958:

Nice 1st post by the way, Bud. ;)

DrM

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:43 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Thanks, Doc. I appreciate the kind words in response to my soapbox promotion for this much-loved movie. I've sent DVD-Rs to numerous folks over the years who, like yourself, were sincerely curious about it.

I'd love to send you one too, but frankly the old recording doesn't look so good these days with the expansion in popularity of big screen LCDs and plasma -- not to mention the way we're all getting jaded by HD channels and Blue Ray discs.

If you still want to see it a year from now and it hasn't been released on DVD, let me know and I'll gladly send you a copy (my treat).

It just breaks my heart that poor Jack Arnold's less-than-flawless Monster on Campus is available on DVD, but the film which is rumored to be his personal favorite, The Space Children, is still lost in obscurity.

Ah, well. Now that I've been allowed to vent my frustration on this fine message board (and enjoy a sympathetic pat on the back from one of it's members), I promise to move on to other subjects.

After all, the name of this board is Pushing the Envelope -- not Beating the Dead Horse, right?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:21 am 

Thanks for the offer, Bud. Since you did present such a fine presentation of the movie and it has apparently motivated you and left a definite impression on you, hence the name, I did do a little web research and have found a copy of it. ;) Granted, it's the 69 minute version but it's not MST3K version. I'll let you know after Thanksgiving when I'll have some free time to watch and review it. But don't let that prevent you from posting in the rest of the forum in the mean while.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:49 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Just out of curiosity, who are you getting your copy from?

The nice gentleman I supplied my 1986 VHS tape to so he could upgrade his DVD-R copy operated a site called spookytom.com. He worked hard to acquire rare movies that weren't available from official sites, and then he offered high-quality, technically enhanced copies of them to desperate and appreciative fans like us.

He provided me with an enhanced DVD copy of my own VHS tape in exchange for letting him use the tape to upgrade his master copy. He was also nice enough to send the tape back to me.

Unfortunately he was victimized for years by people who purchased his expertly enhanced DVDs of various movies and then sold copies of them to unsuspecting buyers through eBay and other sources. I think maybe he eventually gave up his efforts to sell DVDs because of this. His current site doesn't seem to have a section that lists DVDs for sale.

Anyway, DrMoreau, I hope you get a good DVD of this movie. It's a unique film.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:33 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I think it's a great one. And as usual, the fact that I'm also crazy about the MST version is no contradiction.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:59 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Wow, I can't believe I've gone so long without contributing to this great board!

Please forgive me.

I'll correct this grave error by sharing the news that the feature which was co-billed with The Space Children back in 1958, The Colossus of New York, is finally available on a fabulous DVD! Not only is the picture quality wonderful, but the aspect ratio is "wide screen" instead of the narrow "full screen" picture shown on television for decades.

Hopefully a DVD of The Space Children will also be offered in the near future.

My own board -- All Sci-Fi -- has been pretty inactive lately, so I think I'll send an email to all it's members urging them to check what's going on here at Pushing the Envelope. And I look forward to catching up on the active threads here as well.

Bud (site admin of All Sci-Fi -- http://www.allsci-fi.us)

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:39 pm 

Welcome back, Bud :D

No worries, we never close ;) I understand completely how time gets away from ya. Last time I looked it was still may then Halloween rolled around and now Thanksgiving and PtE's 4th Anniversary. I too have been remiss at my posting over at All Sci-Fi, so I hold no ill feelings. Love the rocket girl entry port by the way.

I was just thinking about Space Children today - eerie coincidence. This is one movie definitely deserving a remastered and dvd release. Not that it isn't good news about the "Colossus of New York" wide screen release - but, if I had my druthers ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:48 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

The release of the DVD of The Colossus of New York is actually good for three reasons.

1. It's a wonderful film which has been just as neglected as The Space Children.

2. The new DVD is so good that watching it is like seeing it for the first time -- even for someone like me who's been watching the old TV version for over 20 years.

3. These two movies were co-billed when first released, so the new DVD of Colossus is kinda like "phase I" in the long-awaited return of the last two "lost" sci-fi classics from the 1950s.

I'm hoping what we'll eventually get a double-feature DVD which contains both movies -- similar to the one that contained World Without End and Satellite in the Sky a few years ago.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:49 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Update -- One year later!

Several months ago The Space Children was finally released -- on Blu-ray! It looks wonderful, and it was accompanied by a Blu-ray of The Colossus of New York.

And so, after more than 50 years, these two neglected classics are now available for the first time to millions of science fiction fans who have never seen them -- and to those who have never seen them looking as good as this.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:16 pm 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

My Mood: Esoteric
Hey Bud,

Several films are unavailable uncut on YouTube, including.

"Fiend Without a Face"
"The Night the World Exploded"
"The Monolith Monsters"
"Kronos"
"War of the Satellites" (terrible print and sync but still watchable)
Voyage to the End of the Universe (original Czech version with English subtitles)