Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:22 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7509
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
#1) Peter Cushing

Image

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas (1957)
Horror of Dracula (1958)
The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)
The Mummy (1959)
The Brides of Dracula (1960)
Captain Clegg (1962)
The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
The Gorgon (1964)
Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed! (1969)
The Vampire Lovers (1970)
Twins of Evil (1972)
Fear in the Night (1972)
Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1973)
The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1974)
Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)
Shatter (1974)



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:31 am 
Offline
District Post Master
District Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:44 am
Posts: 1801
Location: Swansea, UK
My Mood: Happy
Legend! :D

_________________
Image
* Thanks to DrMoreau for creating and hosting this!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:37 am 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
Indeed


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:06 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7509
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
#2) Christopher Lee

Image

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
Horror of Dracula (1958)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)
The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959)
The Mummy (1959)
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960)
The Terror of the Tongs (1961)
Scream of Fear (1961)
The Gorgon (1964)
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
Rasputin: The Mad Monk (1966)
The Devil Rides Out (1968)
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968)
Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)
Scars of Dracula (1970)
Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1974)
To the Devil a Daughter (1976)
The Resident (2011)



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 am 
Offline
District Post Master
District Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:44 am
Posts: 1801
Location: Swansea, UK
My Mood: Happy
A legend too - and still going strong!

_________________
Image
* Thanks to DrMoreau for creating and hosting this!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 am 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
Yeah I can't pick who I prefer over Lee And Cushing, both brilliant and two of my fav actors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:16 am 
Offline
District Post Master
District Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:44 am
Posts: 1801
Location: Swansea, UK
My Mood: Happy
Agreed. Both very strong performers and carry the films they are in brilliantly.

_________________
Image
* Thanks to DrMoreau for creating and hosting this!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:41 pm 
Offline
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm
Posts: 449
Location: the 23rd Century
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I have a slight preference for Peter Cushing, in that he seemed to try harder and seemed more versatile. He could be heroic, kindly, creepy and sinister. Lee at times seemed to coast on just being a lean, towering figure with a glower. This would work well for him - he would have that cold stare and/or that cold, ominous line reading, but there didn't seem to be much effort there in some films and he came across as a bit stiff. Maybe that's just the way he was cast and it wasn't his fault, and Cushing got the more varied roles. One of my personal favorite Lee roles was in the non-Hammer horror/sf film Horror Express, where-in he was more relaxed.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:02 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7509
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
#3) Oliver Reed

Image

The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960)
The Curse of the Werewolf (1961)
Captain Clegg (1962)
Paranoiac (1963)

Non Horror Hammer

The Pirates of Blood River (1962)
The Scarlet Blade (1963)
The Damned (1963)
The Brigand of Kandahar (1965)



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:27 am 
Offline
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 2855
Location: Land of 10,000 Dipsh*ts
My Mood: Mean
This is cool, DrM. I have been listening to a podcast where they talk about Hammer films quite a bit. It's a pretty laid back one at bmoviecast.com. A couple of guys from S. Carolina put it together. I've heard more professional podcasts, but they are entertaining to listen to because it's so informal.

_________________
Twitter | Letterboxd | Podcast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:27 pm 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
Kaptain Kirk wrote:
I have a slight preference for Peter Cushing, in that he seemed to try harder and seemed more versatile. He could be heroic, kindly, creepy and sinister. Lee at times seemed to coast on just being a lean, towering figure with a glower. This would work well for him - he would have that cold stare and/or that cold, ominous line reading, but there didn't seem to be much effort there in some films and he came across as a bit stiff. Maybe that's just the way he was cast and it wasn't his fault, and Cushing got the more varied roles. One of my personal favorite Lee roles was in the non-Hammer horror/sf film Horror Express, where-in he was more relaxed.


I agree that Horror Express is one of his best films.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:40 pm 
Offline
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm
Posts: 449
Location: the 23rd Century
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
The Damned (also known as These Are the Damned) was one of Oliver Reed's earliest film roles, as it was actually filmed in 1961 and only released a couple of years later. He played a gang leader in that one, the Teddy-boys. It was an early indication of Reed's talents, though he was usually playing a bully of some sort in those early years. My favorite Reed role was, again, in a non-Hammer film, The Assassination Bureau (1969), an enjoyable steampunk adventure comedy where-in Reed excelled at some great comic timing with Diana Rigg and others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 pm 
Offline
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 am
Posts: 3132
Location: Deepstar Six
My Mood: So-So
So I finally.....FINALLY....watched a Christopher Lee Hammer Horror Film. I also think it was the last one he ever did playing the role of Dracula. It was entitled "Count Dracula and His Vampire Brides."

But I think the current title is
"The Satanic Rights of Dracula"
or is this the Italian name? I wasnt aware they all had different titles for both Italy and US.

I thought it was decent but I am assuming this is probably one of the worst if Lee never came back.
So my problem is I would like to watch these in the order they were released...The Dracula films....so is there anybody who can give me a list here of how I should watch them? Like if there is any sort of continuity or storyline. If not then just in the order Christopher Lee made them. Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:11 pm 
Offline
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm
Posts: 449
Location: the 23rd Century
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Lee's first stab at the vampire count was Hammer's Horror of Dracula in 1958. This was a fairly close adaptation of the original Bram Stoker Dracula story, with Peter Cushing as Van Helsing.

After this first one, Lee did not want to repeat the role, so Hammer's next was without him, but was the still fine Brides of Dracula (1960), again with Peter Cushing as Van Helsing and David Peel as a blonde vampire (not Dracula).

Next was Hammer's Kiss of the Vampire (1962), without Lee or Cushing - and a lesser effort.

Lee finally returned in Hammer's Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1965).

Then he was in Hammer's Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1968), Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969) and The Scars of Dracula (1970).

The next one moved his Dracula character to the modern era - Dracula AD 1972 (1972). And finally, there was The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)[aka Count Dracula and his Vampire Bride-the USA title].

To make things a bit more confusing, Lee also starred in the non-Hammer Spanish Count Dracula in 1970, another version of the Bram Stoker story. He looks different in this one, with a large mustache.

Oh, and, Peter Cushing would return as Van Helsing in the strange The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) which did not have Lee or Dracula.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:46 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7509
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
StillValleyBard wrote:
... So my problem is I would like to watch these in the order they were released...The Dracula films....so is there anybody who can give me a list here of how I should watch them? Like if there is any sort of continuity or storyline. If not then just in the order Christopher Lee made them. Thanks


About 6 posts up next to his portrait has the chronological list. Look for the word "Dracula" in the name :P

Find the related topic by Clicking Here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:07 pm 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
Kaptain Kirk wrote:
Lee's first stab at the vampire count was Hammer's Horror of Dracula in 1958. This was a fairly close adaptation of the original Bram Stoker Dracula story, with Peter Cushing as Van Helsing.

After this first one, Lee did not want to repeat the role, so Hammer's next was without him, but was the still fine Brides of Dracula (1960), again with Peter Cushing as Van Helsing and David Peel as a blonde vampire (not Dracula).

Next was Hammer's Kiss of the Vampire (1962), without Lee or Cushing - and a lesser effort.

Lee finally returned in Hammer's Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1965).

Then he was in Hammer's Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1968), Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969) and The Scars of Dracula (1970).

The next one moved his Dracula character to the modern era - Dracula AD 1972 (1972). And finally, there was The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)[aka Count Dracula and his Vampire Bride-the USA title].

To make things a bit more confusing, Lee also starred in the non-Hammer Spanish Count Dracula in 1970, another version of the Bram Stoker story. He looks different in this one, with a large mustache.

Oh, and, Peter Cushing would return as Van Helsing in the strange The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) which did not have Lee or Dracula.


Actually Dracula is in The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, but played by John Forbes-Robertson instead of Christopher Lee, it's the only time someone else played Dracula in a Hammer film besides Christopher Lee, but he's pretty poor and has a lot of make up on which makes him too campy to be taken seriously.

Another point, the Spanish Count Dracula wasn't the only non Hammer Dracula Christopher Lee made besides the films you mentioned he also did Dracula and Son in 1976, a French comedy and that was the last time he played Dracula on screen.

Sorry if I've come across critical, that was still a decent summary of the movies you did :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
StillValleyBard wrote:
So I finally.....FINALLY....watched a Christopher Lee Hammer Horror Film. I also think it was the last one he ever did playing the role of Dracula. It was entitled "Count Dracula and His Vampire Brides."

But I think the current title is
"The Satanic Rights of Dracula"
or is this the Italian name? I wasnt aware they all had different titles for both Italy and US.

I thought it was decent but I am assuming this is probably one of the worst if Lee never came back.
So my problem is I would like to watch these in the order they were released...The Dracula films....so is there anybody who can give me a list here of how I should watch them? Like if there is any sort of continuity or storyline. If not then just in the order Christopher Lee made them. Thanks



Yeah I think the Satanic Rites is probably the worst of the Hammer series of Dracula films even though it's still enjoyable, Dracula in 70's London is hard to take seriously, all the Dracula films up untill Scars of Dracula, the last one in the Victorian/Edwardian period, are much better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:40 am 
Offline
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 am
Posts: 3132
Location: Deepstar Six
My Mood: So-So
Thanks for the help everybody. Sounds good to me. What is everybodys favorite film? The original is the best I'm assuming?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 pm 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
Most people would say the original, but personally for me it's got be Dracula Prince of Darkness, it's one of my favourite movies, Dracula doesn't even speak in it, he just hisses but it makes him seem more inhuman and scarey and I love the way they bring him back to life in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 pm 
Offline
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm
Posts: 449
Location: the 23rd Century
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Yes-s-s.. John Forbes-Robertson as Dracula in The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires.. I guess it was so forgettable that I.. forgot about it. Or maybe I always regarded him as a fake Dracula, not the real Dracula... :~}

About the whole thing with Lee not speaking in Dracula, Prince of Darkness... that always annoyed me. Even in repeat viewings, I would wait for him to say something the whole film (not babble, but just a word or two) and when the film ends with him still not saying anything, I think.. WTF? Was Lee charging Hammer per word in those days and they just cut out all his dialog as a result..? :wtf:

Anyway, it's been several years since I've seen any of the films and I plan to have a Hammer Dracula marathon soon to figure out which is my personal favorite. It's not something to approach lightly... I will be so Hammered by the end of that marathon... arrrr... :wasted: :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:25 pm 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
Kaptain Kirk wrote:
About the whole thing with Lee not speaking in Dracula, Prince of Darkness... that always annoyed me. Even in repeat viewings, I would wait for him to say something the whole film (not babble, but just a word or two) and when the film ends with him still not saying anything, I think.. WTF? Was Lee charging Hammer per word in those days and they just cut out all his dialog as a result..? :wtf:


Lee has always claimed that his dialogue was that bad in the original script that he refused to speak a word of it, but Jimmy Sangster the screenwriter who wrote the script under a pseudonym maintains he never wrote any dialogue for Dracula, simply because in the first film once he was revealed to be a vampire he had no more dialogue, and because in Prince of Darkness it's clear he's a vampire from the start he decided no dialogue was needed. I'm not sure which of the two stories to believe however.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:55 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7509
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
StillValleyBard wrote:
Thanks for the help everybody. Sounds good to me. What is everybodys favorite film? The original is the best I'm assuming?


The 1st 5 films are Victorian Age Dracula and play the best. Like Ror, the Dracula AD 72 and Satanic Rites are just too cheezy and have serious drawbacks - mainly - it's the 70's and everyone is still acting like it's the swinging 60's.

Thanks to Kaptain and Ror for the insights and follow-up. Been busy otherwise I would have been quicker on the draw.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:50 am 
Offline
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm
Posts: 449
Location: the 23rd Century
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Well, I followed through with my plan to have a Hammer Dracula movie marathon. I couldn't fit it in to just one night, but spread it over three nights. I watched, in order, Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, Scars of Dracula and Dracula A.D. 1972.

Why those? Those are the ones I had in still-sealed DVDs which I was saving for the proper time (which had arrived evidently). I'm still planning to watch an old DVD of Horror of Dracula again to see how it compares; and Brides of Dracula; and, then I have to dig out a Laserdisc of Dracula Prince of Darkness. Then I'll know which is my favorite. I'll comment on the individual films later in their own threads.

I did note that Dracula A.D. 1972 was better than I expected (I'd seen it once before and didn't remember it well). I understand what was said above in a couple of posts - when scenes begin in the modern era, there is one long, almost interminable sequence of a party with these young hipsters and it really bodes ill for the rest of the film. This early sequence dragged on for twice as long as it should have (there's a band, singing badly) and is very lame. But, the rest of the film isn't too bad. It's kind of a kick to see Dracula dragged into the 20th century after seeing him in the previous 3 films. But, he spends most of his time in an old church anyway. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:36 am 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
Kaptain Kirk wrote:
Well, I followed through with my plan to have a Hammer Dracula movie marathon. I couldn't fit it in to just one night, but spread it over three nights. I watched, in order, Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, Scars of Dracula and Dracula A.D. 1972.

Why those? Those are the ones I had in still-sealed DVDs which I was saving for the proper time (which had arrived evidently). I'm still planning to watch an old DVD of Horror of Dracula again to see how it compares; and Brides of Dracula; and, then I have to dig out a Laserdisc of Dracula Prince of Darkness. Then I'll know which is my favorite. I'll comment on the individual films later in their own threads.

I did note that Dracula A.D. 1972 was better than I expected (I'd seen it once before and didn't remember it well). I understand what was said above in a couple of posts - when scenes begin in the modern era, there is one long, almost interminable sequence of a party with these young hipsters and it really bodes ill for the rest of the film. This early sequence dragged on for twice as long as it should have (there's a band, singing badly) and is very lame. But, the rest of the film isn't too bad. It's kind of a kick to see Dracula dragged into the 20th century after seeing him in the previous 3 films. But, he spends most of his time in an old church anyway. :?


Yeah I do think Dracula A.D. 1972 is quite a lot of fun, even though it does mark a decline in the quality of the Dracula series. The party sequence in fact with the cheesey band called 'The Stone Ground' was part of the fun in watching it for me in fact because it's so bad. They were an actual band in the 70's but I don't think the film did their careers any favours lol.

I also think that the aim of the film to be more hip and contemporary is quite laughable, especially when you they have actors in their late twenties to early thirties playing teenagers and acting more like hippies from the 60's. The Johnny Alucard character I find incredibly rediculous and the Satanic orgy that resurrects the Count is a pale shadow to a similar scene in Taste the Blood of Dracula, but it's all still good fun nevertheless.

You also point out the single greatest flaw of the film, why resurrect Dracula in the 70's if you're going to keep him confined to that positively ancient desanctified church? The Satanic Rites of Dracula, is much better in this respect, with Dracula playing with the idea of germ warfare, but of the two films, I prefer Dracula AD 1972, probably because of it's cheesey charm.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:50 am 
Offline
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm
Posts: 449
Location: the 23rd Century
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Rorschach wrote:
I also think that the aim of the film to be more hip and contemporary is quite laughable, especially when you they have actors in their late twenties to early thirties playing teenagers and acting more like hippies from the 60's. The Johnny Alucard character I find incredibly rediculous and the Satanic orgy that resurrects the Count is a pale shadow to a similar scene in Taste the Blood of Dracula, but it's all still good fun nevertheless.

LOL - they were supposed to be teens? I just figured they were all young spoiled Brits in their early twenties. I thought Neame as Alucard was pretty good; I was trying to remember where I saw the actor before and it might have been in the film No Blade of Grass (1970). And, the plot twist of the name "Alucard" - I know this was done elsewhere but I can't recall when/where - the George Hamilton Dracula comedy? I dunno. (though, maybe one of the Lugosi films or the Abbott & Costello comedies played with this). But, what I liked about the modern young group was the inclusion of both Stephanie Beachum and Caroline Munro - wow! (one can only appreciate this if aware that Munro ended up as one of the key cult fantasy/sf stars of the seventies; as for Beachum - The Nightcomers of course :evil: ).

Rorschach wrote:
You also point out the single greatest flaw of the film, why resurrect Dracula in the 70's if you're going to keep him confined to that positively ancient desanctified church? The Satanic Rites of Dracula, is much better in this respect, with Dracula playing with the idea of germ warfare, but of the two films, I prefer Dracula AD 1972, probably because of it's cheesey charm.


Yes, this brings me to a near-revelation after watching Horror of Dracula again last night. That first film kind of followed the Bram Stoker original story and thus Dracula was actually going places to do his evil, victimizing the various characters; Dracula left his castle in the plot. This is where almost all the Hammer Dracula sequels fell short - it was always someone (s) going to Dracula's castle - they were going to him (following the early part of Stoker's story) and that's where it stayed. In these sequels, all Dracula had to do was wait around for some clueless fools to show up and it almost came across like Dracula was this vermin afraid to leave the safety of his sacred castle. Taste the Blood of Dracula had the potential to be more than that but had other flaws (associated with Lee almost not being in it - I'm sure you're aware of the details).

I last watched The Satanic Rites of Dracula a decade ago, on an LD, and that one did finally have Dracula making moves outside his usual limited domain, but (going by memory) it was, as you say, badly done otherwise. I think he showed up rather late and briefly, and the film was quite dull. That's why, right now, Horror of Dracula still seems the best to me, though maybe I'll prefer Brides of Dracula after watching it again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hammer Horror Icons
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:30 am 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
The first film to use the name Alucard, was Universal's Son of Dracula starring Lon Chaney jr, it's not used in Hamilton's Love at First Bite, but it does turn up in Monster Squad and prob a few other films, though can't think of any others at the moment.

I really like the Brides of Dracula too, even though Dracula isn't in it, I think David Peel's Baron Meinster is my favourite vampire character next to the Count himself.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:02 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7509
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
#4) Yvonne Furneaux

Image

The Mummy (1959)



Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:05 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7509
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
#5) Yvonne Monlaur

Image

The Brides of Dracula (1960)
The Terror of the Tongs (1961)



Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB 3.0.11 © 2002 ~ 2014 phpBB Group
subTrails recreated by DrMoreau for PtE Forums.