It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Thing - Prequel
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
MrRSerling wrote:
It's very interesting to note how close to the original story the John Carpenter version really is.

Spoiler

Yeah Carpenter's Version does follow the story very closely, but I find it interesting that while the Howard Hawks version deviates in many ways, the start of the film is very similar to Who Goes there, with the scientific researchers discovering the recently crashed saucer in the ice, and accidentally destroying it with the thermite bombs, then coming across the frozen body of the creature, also the relatively straightforward ending of the film is similar to what we get in the story. It's ironic that the few elements where Carpenter's The Thing deviated from both the plot of the story and original Thing is what makes it more interesting, ie the subtle arrival of the creature in the camp, the fact it was a different team of Norwegian researcher's that discovered it originally, seeing the aftermath of the destruction it wreaked on their camp, and the fact the creature had been frozen for a hundred thousands years, and last but not least, the far more ambiguous ending really makes it stand apart and better than both the short story and The Thing From Another World. Saying that both the original film and the short story especially are pretty good.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:05 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Rorschach wrote:
MrRSerling wrote:
It's very interesting to note how close to the original story the John Carpenter version really is.

Spoiler

Yeah Carpenter's Version does follow the story very closely, but I find it interesting that while the Howard Hawks version deviates in many ways, the start of the film is very similar to Who Goes there, with the scientific researchers discovering the recently crashed saucer in the ice, and accidentally destroying it with the thermite bombs, then coming across the frozen body of the creature, also the relatively straightforward ending of the film is similar to what we get in the story. It's ironic that the few elements where Carpenter's The Thing deviated from both the plot of the story and original Thing is what makes it more interesting, ie the subtle arrival of the creature in the camp, the fact it was a different team of Norwegian researcher's that discovered it originally, seeing the aftermath of the destruction it wreaked on their camp, and the fact the creature had been frozen for a hundred thousands years, and last but not least, the far more ambiguous ending really makes it stand apart and better than both the short story and The Thing From Another World. Saying that both the original film and the short story especially are pretty good.

I totally agree

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:03 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

In a way, this new Thing prequel, is more a remake of the Howard Hawks version than the Carpenter version was, because they both deal with the initial discovery of the Thing, I wonder if this is the first case of remake and prequel in one?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:00 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I have a slight hope for this based on the unrated trailer I saw. I may just sneak out to see it this weekend.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:44 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

whitsbrain wrote:
I have a slight hope for this based on the unrated trailer I saw. I may just sneak out to see it this weekend.

If so, will look forward to your review of the film :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:10 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
DrMoreau wrote:
Anthony wrote:
So original film was 1951, Carpenter remake 1981 and prequel 2011? So that means 30 years in between the original and remake and another 30 years later the prequel to the remake is released? And wasn't the actress in the new Thing here in the last Die Hard movie?

Actually - the Carpenter version is 1982 - but whose counting.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead - I believe she was in "Live Free or Die Hard" - good eye. I remember her from Final Destination 2 or 3 - don't remember which - and Bullet Proof.

Yeah and don't forget Sky High, which I actually liked. Don't know what you guys think of that one though, but I liked it, it was fun.

She was kind of a potential love interest for the main character, which is kind of weird, once you see the ending to the movie.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:57 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I changed my mind. I didn't go see this. I watched Carpenter's "The Thing" again instead.

Man, I love that movie.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:08 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Got to wait for the release here first :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:15 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Today it's finally out in England, I'm going to watch the first showing soon at my local cinema, it's had some very mediocre reviews but hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:31 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Well I’ve just come back from seeing it and I thought it was pretty good! Not a masterpiece and the Carpenter film is obviously superior but a decent film nonetheless. I'd have to watch it again to form a definitive opinion, but my thoughts after a first viewing are 7/8 out of 10. The actors were good in their roles, especially the two leads, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton , the thing creature effects were similar to the original albeit with some CGI and although the score by Marco Beltrami was good, the thing I missed most was Ennio Morricone's score, it's so atmospheric and really would have elevated the atmosphere, but thankfully the main theme is used during the opening scene and end credits. Without giving any spoilers in this little review, I must say the end credits scene is great and nicely sets up the Carpenter version.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:20 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Rorschach wrote:
Well I’ve just come back from seeing it and I thought it was pretty good! Not a masterpiece and the Carpenter film is obviously superior but a decent film nonetheless. I'd have to watch it again to form a definitive opinion, but my thoughts after a first viewing are 7/8 out of 10. The actors were good in their roles, especially the two leads, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton , the thing creature effects were similar to the original albeit with some CGI and although the score by Marco Beltrami was good, the thing I missed most was Ennio Morricone's score, it's so atmospheric and really would have elevated the atmosphere, but thankfully the main theme is used during the opening scene and end credits. Without giving any spoilers in this little review, I must say the end credits scene is great and nicely sets up the Carpenter version.

Oooh, I'd better get going to the cinema then :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:47 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
So Ror, after viewing the film is it clearly a prequel? Nothing jumps out that makes it look like a remake or etc?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:15 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

StillValleyBard wrote:
So Ror, after viewing the film is it clearly a prequel? Nothing jumps out that makes it look like a remake or etc?

In my mind no, I think the way many people have dubbed it as a "pre-make" is unfair, of course there are a couple of scenes which are quite similar to ones in the Carpenter film, but the very nature of the material will do that. Both films have a team of people in the middle of nowhere, Antartica, dealing with the same creature and discovering it for the first time, so there's bound to be similarities, but storywise it had just as much in common with the Howard Hawks film, because they both have a team of scientists discovering the creature for the first time, so if anything you could argue it was more of a remake of that film, but when it comes to the classic 82 version, the plot sets it up quite well, there's a couple of things you could nitpick at, but that's the nature of all prequels/sequels, the continuity in them is rarely completely perfect.

Maybe horror fans are just more picky? Look at Tron for instance, another film originally made in 1982 and it's sequel came out last year, not everyone might have loved it, but you didn't get anyone complaining it was a remake of the first film, yet both films have a guy getting transported into this computer world, fighting in a gladatorial style contest and racing light cycles that directly reference the one's in the original just with modern cgi, I had no problem with that, but that's just my point, if you can accept certain similarities in some films why not in others? Of course there does come a point when you have to draw the line, when a sequel basically rehashes the plot of it's original from start to finish, like Home Alone: Lost in New York...don't get me started on that one lol.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:08 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Link

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:33 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I liked it, didn't love it, but liked it. Look forward to checking out both the original and Carpenter versions as well.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
I liked it, didn't love it, but liked it. Look forward to checking out both the original and Carpenter versions as well.

Yeah that's a fair assesment, probably the way I'd describe it, but I knew beforehand it wouldn't be a flawless masterpiece or anything, still pretty good though.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Not bad. Nice to realize at the end that it's a prequel even though it's odd that the story can be seen in parallel to Carpenter's film.

What I'd like, though, is something similar to the PC game.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:35 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

anton wrote:
Not bad. Nice to realize at the end that it's a prequel even though it's odd that the story can be seen in parallel to Carpenter's film.

What I'd like, though, is something similar to the PC game.

Agreed. The PC game (circa 2002?) was quite atmospheric and well thought out.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Agreed. Still one of my favorites to blow the dust off and play. It and Manhunt are still just fun as hell.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Didn't they also have a The Thing video game for X Box?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:18 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Anthony wrote:

Yep, same as the PC version pretty much,

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:05 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah, I remember X Box also doing a game version of The Great Escape. So I guess The Thing and Great Escape games were pretty good? I remember mentioning in a video games thread here how games based on new movies usually really suck because they rush the production and release to coincide with a new movie, but if it's based on an older movie (The Warriors, The Godfather, Scarface), it at least seems to be pretty good, even great sometimes, because the developers have time to work out the bugs and put together a decent story, where you play a new character in that world or the main character, in the case of Scarface. It got redundant playing as Tony Montana though. The Thing sounds like it would be fun though.

They did 3 great Evil Dead games for Playstation and Playstation 2, I believe X Box as well.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:04 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

That is a fair point. They need to make more games based on old movies :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:34 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I finally got to view the film about a month ago, and it was pretty good. Probably one of the few good horror films Ive seen lately, and at least they paid respect to the films that proceeded it. It didnt feel so commercial and it felt like they didnt hold back on throwing the scares right in your face. Of course at the same time it still didnt really bring anything new to the genre.
Just had a quick question for those who saw the film...the theme at the end of the film...was this the same theme from Carpenters film? Also wasnt the final scene the set up for the 1982 film..? I havent seen JC's the Thing in a long time..so wasnt positive. Either way the film was great. Good tension

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:34 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yes. The end of this prequel dovetailed rather nicely into Carpenter's. If I recall, the theme was also the same.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

whitsbrain wrote:
Yes. The end of this prequel dovetailed rather nicely into Carpenter's. If I recall, the theme was also the same.

Yes it is the original Ennio Morricone theme that plays over the end credits, it's one of my favourite scores. If anything they should have used more of his music during the actual film, even though the Marco Beltrami score in it isn't too bad, you can't beat the original Thing music.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:21 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Just realised, I grabbed this on DVD about 6 months ago and still haven't watched it :O

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:40 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

MrRSerling wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Yep, same as the PC version pretty much,

So, one of the few GOOD video games based on a movie? I heard The Great Escape for X Box was pretty good too. Anyone play that?