Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:56 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
So I saw an ad for this movie on TV last night. I'm sure you can find ads or a trailer online. My point is, does this remind anyone else of the TZ episode Steel? Was that episode based on a short story or was that original. Either way, is the original Richard Matheson story being adapted here for this movie or is this movie basically just a modern ripoff version of Steel? Might not be intentional either. My point is, it just looks really similar. Anyone else agree? Kind of like how everyone says Slither is a modern version or an homage to Night of the Creeps, even though the Slither director said he had never seen Creeps.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:00 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Very similar

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:30 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
If you look in TZ section, on the thread for the epiosde Steel, you'll find this that I posted about 2 years ago now.

"Hugh Jackman considering Real Steel
He's negotiating the lead in the robo-boxing drama

Hugh Jackman might be be busy on Broadway right now, but he's still considering film roles - and he's looking to star in DreamWorks Real Steel.

The drama, which just nabbed Shawn Levy as a director after Peter Berg moved on, focuses on a former fighter living in a world where boxing has been outlawed as too violent, except for gladiatorial robots.

Jackman's former fist-slinger becomes a down-on-his-luck promoter whose droids tend to lose because they have sub-standard parts. But then he discovers a machine that never loses, and, as he follows its progress, he also gets a chance to bond with the son he just discovered.

It's based on a Richard Matheson short story, and has cropped up in the past as a Twilight Zone story, though we figure with DreamWorks' resources behind him, Levy's effort will be a little more effects heavy.

The studio wants the film shooting before next summer..."

So yes, it's based on Matheson's story.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:50 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Yes, Anthony - it is very similar as Ror points out. Even though Matheson isn't credited, the story, concept, and even "Max" is referenced.

No video? Get the DivX Web Player for Windows or Mac

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:20 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So does this mean Jackman's character will be getting in the ring pretending to be a robot? I kind of hope not, but what do you guys think will happen? Sounds to me like he uses the robot to get a boxing career going again and bonds with his son. I just hope his character doesn't actually get in the ring. There'll probably be some bigger, seemingly unbeatable robot that Jackman's robot beats in the end in some exciting, climactic showdown, like a robot Rocky.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:16 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
From the trailers - he and his son rebuilds an old sparring robot that has shadow (copying) capabilities. So he fights virtually outside the ring with the robot mimicking his moves.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:27 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Sounds *yawn* interesting...

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:32 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

lol whit. I might check this out on cable.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:26 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I liked this movie a lot when I finally got a chance to see it. And Matheson was credited. I believe at the end of the movie, possibly the beginning too, there is mention of "Based on a short story by Richard Matheson". I like what they did with it, with references to Rocky, Rocky 4, the TZ episode and movies like The Iron Giant and The Champ all rolled into one.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:00 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Happy

I rented this movie from Netflix several months ago and loved it so much I watched it twice in two days. I haven't bought it yet, but I will eventually.

I have the Twilight Zone box sets, so I dug out the episode called Steel and watched it (for the first time). Frankly I wasn't very impressed. The "robot" was an actor with no make-up to indicate he was a machine. He mostly just stood around looking deadpan. Not very convincing. The entire story consisted of Lee Marvin's attempt to win a fight so he could buy new parts for the robot.

It was, in my opinion, a very week story.

Steel, on the other hand, has a wonderfully imaginative story about a former fighter (Jackman) who now manages a robot fighter in a society which bans human boxers. Jackman has a son he hasn't seen in years, and they end up spending several months together taking their robot fighter around to various bouts. During this time, Jackman and his son become close.

I'm happy to say that the robot is never turned into a real character like some misguided Rock 'em Sock 'em Wall-E (which would have been a terrible thing for the movie to do.) The robot never speaks or portrays emotions. It's a machine -- and rightly so.

In conclusion I highly recommend this movie. If you can watch it and NOT love the scenes in which Jackman's son brings out their mechanical fighter at sold-out bouts and dances The Robot in perfect unison with it in the ring, to the delight of screaming fans -- then you have no soul, no heart, and no imagination.

But I'm sure you do, so you'll love this movie.

Bud

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:51 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Agreed. Also, not only the scenes with the son did I like, but thought the emotional scenes with Jackman and Evangeline Lilly were great.