Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:20 am 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
whitsbrain wrote:
Cruise is fine in this. Except when he plays catch with his son. Why can't actors throw?!?

I don't get your animosity toward or disinterest in movies. Especially when you have shown much affection for Anthologies. Movies are short stories not unlike an anthology, where TV series are never-ending, drawn out soaps.

I'm scratching my head here :?



rorschach wrote:
Got to agree here, movies are more appealing because they're self contained, even if they have a few sequels, it's not like sitting through six seasons of a TV Show.




I would like for DrM (or either the recently-rarely seen Phineas) to split these responses off into a different thread if possible.

I will try and examine this a bit more when I get time to address it more in depth the next few days.
I think I had the ability to actually do this at one time, but damn if I can remember. :ROTF:
This is something I am definitely interested in discussing a bit more, as even I* can't figure out all the reasons why I don't get into them any more than I do.

Maybe we can entitle it "The appeal of movies" or something.


TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 pm 
Offline
Post Master General
Post Master General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:41 pm
Posts: 776
My Mood: Ecstatic
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
I would like for DrM (or either the recently-rarely seen Phineas) to split these responses off into a different thread if possible.

TZ DZ Fan


Request Granted :sparkle:


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 am 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Thank you Phineas. :dance:

I will try and write a bit more on this in the next few days.




TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:57 am 
Offline
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 am
Posts: 3152
Location: Deepstar Six
My Mood: So-So
The Appeal? To name a few...Theatres...the experience of going to watch a film on the big screen. I am not aware of any Television show theatres. (nothing against tv, by the way) What else lets see, being able to turn something such as a classic novel or book, historic moment etc into something you can view with your eyes instead of using imagination. (Nothing against books, by the way)
Movies are appeling to me in general because I feel like sometimes they can even influence my own life. Films can be an escape from your own world. You can view other worlds. Listen to other stories. Feel them. They have a profound effect on the human pysche and the overall conscience of the people viewing it. Movies also have a way of being subliminal. art imitates life and life imitates art i guess. A movie can change and influence the way a whole nation thinks.
Films are wide ranging in terms of categories, genres, styles, etc the list goes on. If you cant find one film on this planet that doesnt appeal to you (whether its comedy drama sci fi horror ) you might be a nutcase.
Most films are free to push boundaries.
Those are just a few random examples. Lack of appeal? Sometimes..movies just suck. They can be boring, they can be lonnnnnng...and they can be baddddddddddddddd.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:42 pm 
Offline
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:24 am
Posts: 11298
Location: Suburban Georgia!
My Mood: Neutral

Link

_________________
What we have here is failure to communicate!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 am 
Offline
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 pm
Posts: 2261
My Mood: Neutral
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:
Cruise is fine in this. Except when he plays catch with his son. Why can't actors throw?!?

I don't get your animosity toward or disinterest in movies. Especially when you have shown much affection for Anthologies. Movies are short stories not unlike an anthology, where TV series are never-ending, drawn out soaps.

I'm scratching my head here :?



rorschach wrote:
Got to agree here, movies are more appealing because they're self contained, even if they have a few sequels, it's not like sitting through six seasons of a TV Show.




I would like for DrM (or either the recently-rarely seen Phineas) to split these responses off into a different thread if possible.

I will try and examine this a bit more when I get time to address it more in depth the next few days.
I think I had the ability to actually do this at one time, but damn if I can remember. :ROTF:
This is something I am definitely interested in discussing a bit more, as even I* can't figure out all the reasons why I don't get into them any more than I do.

Maybe we can entitle it "The appeal of movies" or something.


TZ DZ Fan


That's what I like about a TV series, actually. That we get to follow the same characters over the course of several years and see how they grow and change over those years. And if you grow to really love it, it almost feels like you, the viewer get to know these people. We laugh, we sometimes cry and root for them to do well and overcome all obstacles. Sure, the same thing happens with movies, but there's more of an attachment to certain TV characters for me than there is for movie characters because we get to spend more time learning about them and getting to know them.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:50 am 
Offline
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 pm
Posts: 2261
My Mood: Neutral
StillValleyBard wrote:
The Appeal? To name a few...Theatres...the experience of going to watch a film on the big screen. I am not aware of any Television show theatres. (nothing against tv, by the way) What else lets see, being able to turn something such as a classic novel or book, historic moment etc into something you can view with your eyes instead of using imagination. (Nothing against books, by the way)
Movies are appeling to me in general because I feel like sometimes they can even influence my own life. Films can be an escape from your own world. You can view other worlds. Listen to other stories. Feel them. They have a profound effect on the human pysche and the overall conscience of the people viewing it. Movies also have a way of being subliminal. art imitates life and life imitates art i guess. A movie can change and influence the way a whole nation thinks.
Films are wide ranging in terms of categories, genres, styles, etc the list goes on. If you cant find one film on this planet that doesnt appeal to you (whether its comedy drama sci fi horror ) you might be a nutcase.
Most films are free to push boundaries.
Those are just a few random examples. Lack of appeal? Sometimes..movies just suck. They can be boring, they can be lonnnnnng...and they can be baddddddddddddddd.


And sometimes, those bad movies can even be enjoyable, because they don't take themselves too seriously or they do and we can laugh at how horribly the filmmakers have failed at the story they're trying to tell, like they used to do on Mystery Science Theater 3000. You can even tell by the titles which movies would fall under that "so bad it's good" category sometimes like The Toxic Avenger, Class of Nuke 'Em High or Sorority Babes at the Slimeball Bowlerama, Chopping Mall and one of my favorites, Killer Klowns From Outer Space.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB 3.0.11 © 2002 ~ 2014 phpBB Group
subTrails recreated by DrMoreau for PtE Forums.