Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:49 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Once again, here are the predictions from Pajiba.com - this time it's the top 20 films of this year as predicted. As before, the writing below is from the site and is written as if the movies already came out and already performed at the box office. http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_ ... f-2013.php (I'm posting this a lot earlier than I managed to in 2012).

20. The Great Gatsby ($127 million) — The decision by Warner Brothers to push The Great Gatsby from a crowded marketplace on Christmas 2012 to a crowded marketplace in May 2013 was a wise one, as it provided a nice adult alternative in a summer crowded with action blockbusters. (this one stars Leonardo DiCaprio - KK)

19. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs II ($129 million) — The sequel to the well-received $124 million movie based on the children’s book essentially duplicated its box office, dominating the children’s market from late September until November.

18. Anchorman: The Legend Continues ($135 million) — The reason it took so long to greenlight a sequel to Anchorman was that, despite the modest box-office success of the original, it made next to nothing internationally, and these days, worldwide box-office is a huge factor. The sequel didn’t fare much better overseas, but thanks to the growing audience for the original and the improving box-office clout of the original’s stars, the sequel more than recouped its budget domestically. (stars Will Ferrell? - KK)

17. Elysium ($138 million) — Neill Blomkamp’s follow-up to District 9 camped out on the same August weekend as his first film, and like District 9 it stole the August box-office, as audiences weary with empty blockbusters welcomed a more substantive action sci-fi pic. It also gave Matt Damon his first big hit since True Grit.

16. A Good Day to Die Hard ($143 million) — There was enough left in the Die Hard franchise to spawn another hit, which roughly equalled the box-office of 2007’s Live Free or Die Hard, plus inflation. Next up: A Hard Man Is Good to Find. (lame humor - this stars Bruce Willis, I'm pretty sure - KK)

15. Jack Ryan ($146 million) — People love a reboot, and Chris Pine — hot off the success of another Star Trek film — helped propel this franchise back into relevancy. It was one of three films that resurrected the once dim star of Kevin Costner, as well.

14. 300: Rise of an Empire ($162 million) — Xerxes spin-off wasn’t quite the hit of the original 300 ($210 million) without Zack Snyder behind the camera or Gerard Butler in front of it, but folks loves to see greasy, sweaty men point sharp things at each other and grunt. Eva Green sure didn’t hurt.

13. Oz: The Great and Powerful ($187 milion) — Sam Raimi brought the The Wizard of Oz back to life, and like Alice in Wonderland, the film was far prettier than it was substantive. The difference between Alice’s $330 million and Oz’s ($187 million) box-office is basically the difference between Johnny Depp and James Franco.

12. Fast and Furious 6 ($193 million) — Slightly down from the $210 million of Fast 5, this franchise just keeps chugging along, adding Gina Carano, along with another shot of Dwayne Johnson, and all but ensuring this franchise has another two or three films left in it.

11. Thor: The Dark World ($211 million) — Thanks to the massive success of The Avengers and the growing star power of Chris Hemsworth, the Thor sequel was able to actually improve upon the original ($180 million) even though it was as generically entertaining as the first one.

10. Hangover 3 ($219 million) — I didn’t get it. Basically, Todd Phillips modified The Hangover and turned it into The Road Trip with adults, but it was essentially the same formula, and it’s continued success only proves that people love the familiar.

9. Ender’s Game ($223 million) — People said it couldn’t be filmed, but after years and years of trying, Ender’s Game finally arrived, and while it didn’t quite match the novel, it was a fairly great movie, all the same, ensuring that it would follow The Hunger Games as the next big book series turned film franchise.

8. The Wolverine ($227 million) — Wow! Another reborquel. At least it was better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and it’s success ensures a Wolverine II, and I’m sure that another X-Men character will get his own franchise soon. Probably not Deadspin, though.

7. Despicable Me 2 ($245 million) — The same crowd that made this a $250 million hit in 2010 came again, and this time they brought their little siblings.

6. Monsters University ($287 million) — Wazowski and Sulley were back for the prequel to Monsters Inc. 2, and manages to give Pixar its biggest hit since Toy Story 3.

5. Star Trek: Into Darkness ($290 million) — J.J. Abrams was back with a sequel to his $250 million original, and this one fared even better, thanks in part to great reviews and Benedict Cumberbatch.

4. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug ($293 million) — The same people that turned out for the original turned out for this one, and will no doubt turn out for the third one. Nobody is crazy about the series, but we all watch it, dont’ we?

3. Man of Steel ($303 million) — Thanks to outstanding visuals, a strong, dark storyline, and Henry Cavill’s exemplary Superman, the franchise rebounded after the failure of Superman Returns, filling the vacuum left by the absence of The Dark Knight.

2. Iron Man 3 ($330 million) — Like the Thor sequel, Iron Man 3 — already the most successful stand-alone Avengers character — improved upon Iron Man 2’s box office, and with Shane Black behind the camera, the movie itself was much improved over the sequel, as well.

1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($387 million) — It didn’t quite reach the $400 million of Hunger Games, but then again, Catching Fire was kind of a repeat of the first movie. Fans were not as satisfied with the result, but they sure turned out to see it, as they will for the third and fourth movies, too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts: hm, I wonder why less sequels (sarcasm). Will Pajiba be more accurate this time? (hard not to be). Also, not one film over $400 million (there were 3 that went over that last year).

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:10 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Churn em out Hollywood....as long as the masses keep giving you money. What a sad state.
This list gives me an idea. I'll go watch the lowest grossing films expected in 2013, and thats where all the good movies should be.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Can we expect the whole marvel thing to die down in the coming years or what? Or only get bigger? At this point I think its to late to ever expect it to go away, Im sure it will just be reinvented a decade from now.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

StillValleyBard wrote:
Churn em out Hollywood....as long as the masses keep giving you money. What a sad state.
This list gives me an idea. I'll go watch the lowest grossing films expected in 2013, and thats where all the good movies should be.

Don't bet on it. Here's Pajiba's predictions for the 10 Biggest Flops of 2013: (http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_ ... f-2013.php)

After Earth ($61 million) — The writing was on the wall when they combined the waning box-office clout of Will Smith with the poisonous M. Night Shyamalan, and the reviews didn’t help. It felt like a big-budget excuse for Will Smith to hang out with his kid, Jaden, and moviegoers were disappointed by another predictably dumb “twist” ending.

Scary Movie 5 ($34 million) — The four Scary Movie movies have averaged over $100 million apiece at the box office, including the $90 million tally of the last sequel, in 2006. But, as A Haunted House ($33 million) demonstrated, moviegoers don’t care about horror-movie parodies anymore. Horror movies have become a parody of themselves, and when the Evil Dead remake opened on the same weekend, filmgoers decided to see the real, bloody goddamn thing. (this has the can't miss combo of Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan - KK)

Oblivion — ($53 million) Is it too early to say that Joseph Kosinski’s Oblivion was the death knell to Tom Cruise’s career? After the middling box-office returns from Jack Reacher, Cruise is once again on the decline, as his personal life has alienated too many moviegoers, not to mention the fact that it was difficult to see Cruise in a sci-fi action movie. It wasn’t a total loss (Oblivion did decent numbers overseas), but the world is ready to cast Cruise aside for a younger generation of leading men.

Epic ($87 million) — Kudos to Fox for attempting to put an original property into the animated marketplace, but this is what happens, especially when you substitute recognizable voice talent (Beyonce, Jason Sudeikis, Steven Tyler, Amanda Seyfried) for an actual script, even if the animation was beautifully rendered. Although the movie made nearly $100 million, it was still considered a failure for a film that cost more than twice that to make.

This Is The End ($26 million) — What happens when you piece together a HUGE ensemble of comedic talent that includes Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel, Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd, Kevin Hart, Jay Baruchel, Mindy Kaling, and more — all playing themselves — for an end-of-the-world comedy directed by Rogen and Evan Goldberg? People flock to see Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, which opened on the same weekend, of course. The whole exercise, which was mildly amusing, felt indulgent and full of itself.

Grown Ups 2 ($52 million) — After the massive (and inexcusable) success of the first Grown Ups ($162 million), Adam Sandler finally figured out what would happen if he attempted to make his first sequel: People who saw the first would opt against the second one BECAUSE THEY’D SEEN THE FIRST ONE. Moviegoers may be dumb, but they’re not that dumb. Along with That’s My Boy, that is two box-office duds in a row for the once invincible Adam Sandler, who has to be thinking about a Wedding Singer sequel now.

Pacific Rim ($72 million) — Guillermo Del Toro’s BIG ROBOT ALIENS VS. THE WORLD ended up becoming this year’s Battleship: An oversized dumb mash-up of stupidity. We wondered why it took five years since Hellboy 2 for del Toro to finally release another film, and it turns out, he’s not that good when dealing with big budget movies. He’s more at home with smaller, darker movies in his own language.

Planes — ($122 million) — Yes, $122 million sounds like a lot, but this was a Pixar movie, and no Pixar movie has fared this badly since their first one, Bug’s Life ($162 million). Planes, a spin-off to Cars, was supposed to go straight-to-DVD, but Disney decided to push their luck with the Pixar brand by releasing it into 4,000 theaters. Sadly, they ended up damaging it even more.

Lone Ranger ($77 million) — Oh, thank God far fewer people than expected decided to indulge Johnny Depp in his now revealed experiment to see how far he could push his star power before moviegoers would balk. It cost Disney $200 million in profit, but we finally know there is a line at which most moviegoers will not stoop, and that line is Johnny Depp as a Native American in a franchise that no one wanted to see resurrected. Disney should’ve left this movie on the scrap heap where it belonged.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty ($63 million) — When a remake of a classic goes through as much trouble as The Secret Life of Walter Mitty did, including numerous director and lead changes (Jim Carrey and Steve Carell passed before it landed on Ben Stiller, who also directed), a studio that should probably take the hint. Too many millions of people will pay to see Ben Stiller abuse himself, but no one wants to see him in a remake of one of the best movies of all time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are less sequels in this list... but I can't seem to get too excited anyway... :|

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:27 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
OMG Gina Carano is in Fast and Furious 6? When does that come out? I MUST see it. Pretty good actress and total babe. And they're actually making another Hangover movie? I might go see this on bootleg or is somebody else is paying, otherwise I'll catch it on cable. It'll probably be funny but more of the same really. And I didn't know Shane Black even directed. For years, I always knew him as a writer and actor. I hope he'll direct more if Iron Man 3 is a hit, but some more creative stuff maybe. He should hook up his old buddy Fred Dekker, who hasn't had any major Hollywood credits for years. I'll probably check out Scary Movie 5 also.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:59 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

StillValleyBard wrote:
Can we expect the whole marvel thing to die down in the coming years or what? Or only get bigger?
The short answer, probably, is -- get bigger. I think the main reason has to do with The Avengers film last year. Like most people, I expected it to be a big hit, but I figured that it would gross a bit over $300 million. I was astounded when it ended up with twice that, the biggest film by far of last year. And that's only its domestic gross; its international sales were even bigger (worldwide total reached $1.5 billion). This paves the way not only for an Avengers sequel, but further films revolving about the each team member (Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, maybe even a Hulk film, though I doubt that). All this says is that Marvel stuff at the movies will be the biggest thing through 2015, at the least I would guess.

StillValleyBard wrote:
At this point I think its to late to ever expect it to go away, Im sure it will just be reinvented a decade from now.
That's the other thing. Even modest successes like the Fantastic Four films will probably be 're-imagined' as new versions within a few years. They already tried with Hulk; the 1st Hulk film in 2003 was not a great success and they still tried for a 2nd version in 2008. Hell, they even tried a 2nd Punisher film when the first one was a flop. With a property like Spider-Man, it is an endless prospect. The last Spider-Man 're-imagining' last year didn't do as well as the older Spider-Man films, but it still made over $750 million worldwide; that's about the minimum to expect from such a hot property, so the Spider-Man franchise will continue forever. I haven't even mentioned the X-Men properties... so ...I won't. ;)

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:17 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

We're able to already see how one film did in comparison to the prediction:

Quote:
16. A Good Day to Die Hard ($143 million) — There was enough left in the Die Hard franchise to spawn another hit

No, there wasn't. The latest (and probably last) Die Hard will end up with under $70 million (it'll be at about $63 million as this weekend ends). That's less than half of what was predicted. It will probably do better overseas. But, Pajiba is 0 for 1 big time - not even close on this one.

Next up is OZ, which opened yesterday. Pajiba will probably be closer with this one, based on first day estimates, but in this case OZ is probably underestimated; OZ is the first blockbuster of the year and might do over $200 million by the end of its run.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:47 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yes in North America, but has done over 200 million worldwide. Are these predictions just for the US box office?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:17 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Yes, Pajiba's predictions are for the U.S. only. I mentioned that it probably would do better overseas (I didn't have the figures in front of me at the time so was just guessing) and it is doing a lot better in the rest of the world compared to the U.S. In fact, it is doing so well in other countries (collectively) that there may very well be another sequel, though I think Willis is getting too old for this role.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:29 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I read that this is probably the last one, but Willis has said he would be willing to do one more Die Hard movie if offered and then retire the character for good. I really like these movies, so I wouldn't mind it. This one was fun, had a lot of nods to the original, in terms of action sequences and shots, which was a lot of fun to spot.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:15 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

This is the only one that I really care about...

Link

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:47 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Shatners Grim Reaper wrote:
This is the only one that I really care about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ec_rPApKCA

Yes!!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:58 pm 
Director of the National Post

SGR, I edited your above post to embed the video instead of only a link.

Merely hit the "youtube" button above the posting window, and then copy/paste or type the address to the clip between the [youtube] and [/youtube] that appear when you hit the button.

Hope this helps :dance:

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Yes...I am technically challenged. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm 

Shatners Grim Reaper wrote:
Yes...I am technically challenged. :D

No biggie.

You should be able to "edit" your future posts, until you get it right.
There are many things I still don't know how to do exactly, but thats easy once you tinker with it a few times.

For more difficult matters, DrM may be the one to ask. :twisted:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Here's the only one that matters! Giant monsters FTW!

Link

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Good one WB... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:53 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

OK, looks like Pajiba has actually nailed a prediction, one of the predicted flops - Scary Movie 5. Pajiba predicted $34 million and the way it looks now, the stupid movie will flop with about $32 million by the end of its run in a couple of weeks. Pajiba didn't do so well with another predicted flop, the Tom Cruise sf pic Oblivion; Pajiba said it would flop with $53 million total and end Cruise's career (sort of). But, rumors of Cruise's artistic demise are a bit premature; while not a big hit, Oblivion should end up with at least $85 million by the time it ends its run.

And this brings us to the big box office news of this past weekend, the $174 million that Iron Man 3 did on its first weekend (all grosses are domestic only; I.M.3 is doing even better overseas). This is the 2nd biggest 1st weekend of all time, right behind The Avengers of last year. Usually, it's difficult to say where a film will end up based on just its first weekend, but in this case it's safe to say that Pajiba has seriously underestimated Marvel power at the box office (discussed at length in this thread), even with its prediction of $330 million total. If Iron Man 3 follows the pattern of The Avengers in the next few weeks, it will end at over $500 million. Even if it doesn't, all we have to do is compare it to The Dark Knight Rises, which grossed a bit less in its 1st weekend ($160m) and ended at just under $450 million. So, Iron Man 3 is assured of at least that much (it all depends on word of mouth and repeat business).

Yes, as remarked upon earlier in this thread, Marvel is not losing any steam at the box office - and Iron Man 3 benefited in part from the good will of The Avengers film, though Robert Downey, Jr. continues to be a favorite among moviegoers. It will be interesting to see how the 2nd Thor and Wolverine films do, though it's a safe bet they won't reach Iron Man levels (again, Downey, Jr. rules in the hearts of most movie fans). Iron Man 3 may actually end up the biggest film of the year (just like Avengers was last year). Ba-dum - ba-boom! Pajiba is now 1 for 5.

Next up is The Great Gatsby and then the hotly anticipated Star Trek Into Darkness. I just read some strange rumors that the Gatsby film might be popular among the school crowd, college and so on. So, maybe it will surprise. As for ST into Darkness - it will certainly be big, but it's up in the air as to how much. I was really intrigued by it a couple of weeks ago, but then I heard some things, that it's a simple Kirk vs Terrorist plot (it's already opened in places like Australia), so I've cooled on it. But, it's still an unknown quantity/quality for the most part.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:26 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Now KK...don't cool on the STID movie...it's rock 'em sock 'em action and the reviews have been simply outstanding. I go to one movie a year and this year it's definitely STID...besides...you know there's more to it than Kirk vs Khan...especially the rave reviews Uhura and Spock are getting for the film. Buckle your seat belt and go see it opening weekend.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:20 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Star Trek into Darkness was one of the big surprises in the box office arena this year -- it didn't do the numbers that almost everyone was expecting. It wasn't really bad, just underwhelming. Almost everyone figured it would make $100 million in its first 5 days (it opened on a Wed.); but, it just wasn't able to - it fell short of that by about $15 million. It seems like the Star Trek fan base has these definite limitations - there's a certain ceiling to Trek grosses, to attendance. So, Pajiba predicted that this 2nd Abrams reboot would do a bit better than the first with $290m total; instead, it will do a bit less, topping out at about $225m probably. That's not terrible; it's only a little less than the $257m of the 2009 reboot, just nothing to get impressed by.

Summarizing a few others: Iron Man 3 (predicted $330m) - this one didn't have much repeat business and dropped faster than I thought it would, unable to get to the $450m I thought was a given. It will end under $410m, still a lot more than Pajiba's prediction.

The Great Gatsby (predicted $127m) - did better than expected; all those school kids did turn out for it; it will end with about $143m.

OZ (predicted $187m) - did much better and will end with about $235m.

Fast and Furious 6 (predicted $193m) - now this one did better than its predecessor; Pajiba thought it would do a bit less, but it improved on F&F5 ($210m) and will end with about $240m. So, Pajiba got it backwards with its predictions for Star Trek and F&F. The Trek sequel will do a bit worse than its progenitor, while the F&F franchise picks up steam.

Hangover 3 (predicted $219m) - in reality, how about only half of that? This was a bad finish to the trilogy; Pajiba thought all the diehard fans would stick with it even if it was bad, but they didn't (good). This might be their worst prediction.

Man of Steel (predicted $303m) - now with this one Pajiba might actually end up in the ballpark. The new Superman pic started out well with a $116m first weekend and looks to me like it will end at close to $300 million, maybe $290m depending on the next couple of weeks.

One film missing from Pajiba's predictions is World War Z for some reason; it was a fairly big hit and will probably end up in the $200m region.

As for the predicted flops -- Pajiba does a lot better with these. After Earth was predicted for $61m and it will indeed end up close to that, maybe even a bit less. It's one of Will Smith's worst performers. But, Epic (predicted $87m) did better than expected, passing $100m a little while ago, and will top out at around $105m. And, Pajiba really blew it with its prediction for This is the End ($26m predicted); it did that by the end of its first weekend and is still going strong after $65m of grosses.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Pacific Rim opens on Friday and I have my tickets for the IMAX 3D showing. Yeah...I'm a kaiju nerd. So what?

Link

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:59 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

What about Only God Forgives and Europa Report? :|

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:43 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Whit...enjoy the Rim. Hope it has thawed up there. :) Are you a Vikings Fan? It's almost that time.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:48 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Kaptain Kirk wrote:
Star Trek into Darkness was one of the big surprises in the box office arena this year -- it didn't do the numbers that almost everyone was expecting. It wasn't really bad, just underwhelming. Almost everyone figured it would make $100 million in its first 5 days (it opened on a Wed.); but, it just wasn't able to - it fell short of that by about $15 million. It seems like the Star Trek fan base has these definite limitations - there's a certain ceiling to Trek grosses, to attendance. So, Pajiba predicted that this 2nd Abrams reboot would do a bit better than the first with $290m total; instead, it will do a bit less, topping out at about $225m probably. That's not terrible; it's only a little less than the $257m of the 2009 reboot, just nothing to get impressed by.

My wife who is by no means a Trek fan....LOVED it. She likes the new cast....was impressed with Cumberpatch and loved JJ's direction.

I'm waiting for the Blu-Ray...will post my opinion in September provided I don't get lost in the NFL/NCAA Football action. Love the Skins and the SEC.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:26 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Time for the bi-monthly report on how all those big films are doing at the box office:

Elysium (predicted $138 million): this sci-fi pic with Matt Damon will end up with only about $90 to $95 million in the USA; it currently just passed $80m. As with many such big films, it is doing better in the rest of the world.

The Wolverine (predicted $227 million): way off on this one - the latest X-Men spin-off shows that this brand (and Hugh Jackman) is not as popular as it once was and will end with only about $130 million.

Despicable Me 2 (predicted $245 million): they underestimated the popularity of the minions; the animated sequel is currently the 2nd biggest film of the year and will end with about $360 million.

Monsters University (predicted $287 million): on the other hand, they predicted well for the other big animated summer pic, just slightly overestimating it. The Monsters will end up at around $267 million or just $20 million off.

btw, I forgot to mention last time that 300: Rise of an Empire (predicted $162 million) has been moved to some other date next year.

Now, as for the predicted flops:

This Is The End (predicted $26 million): way, way off on this one; it had staying power and will end at a little over $100 million (they just expanded to nationwide again for its last couple of weeks so it could pass that milestone).

Grown Ups 2 (predicted $52 million): also way, way off -- Adam Sandler confounds again; the silly sequel did almost as well as the 1st one, ending up with a bit under $135 million probably, or nearly triple what was predicted.

Pacific Rim (predicted $72 million): though not a big hit in the USA (it's doing great in the rest of the world), it still just managed to top $100 million here, so was not as bad a clunker as they thought it would be.

Planes — (predicted $122 million): the funny thing with this one is that even though they thought it would sort of flop for a Pixar pic, it will still end up with less than they thought it would - it will struggle to reach $100 mil total, maybe $95 million.

Lone Ranger (predicted $77 million): pretty close on this one; Depp managed to push it to about $90 million. The magic of the Pirates was not there for this one.

So far, the one Pajiba really was dead on with was After Earth - predicted $61 million / currently expected to finish with $60.55 million...

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:40 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I just ran across this news article and think it fits well in this thread at this point - this is the theory on why Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't as big a hit as it was expected to be - according to J.J. Abrams, the director (the 2009 reboot grossed about $257 million domestic; this latest one didn't quite make it to $230 million - many thought it would do better than the first one) > http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/j-j-abr ... ent-to-me/

Fanboy gamers often complain that studio meddling somehow ruined a video game tied to a major movie release. It’s less common to hear an A-list filmmaker blame developers for messing with his movie. Star Trek Into Darkness is the seventh-highest-grossing film of 2013, but its director seems to think it could have done better — if it hadn’t been for that pesky video game. J.J. Abrams said in an interview with GamerHub this week that Star Trek: The Game — which generated terrible reviews and crummy sales — “was obviously a big disappointment to me. We were actually involved from the very beginning, and then we sort of realized that it was not going in a place where we were going to get what we wanted. So we dropped out, and they continued to do it despite … y’know.” Yahoo Games says developer Digital Extremes has pointed fingers at Paramount, claiming the studio’s heavy involvement was a burden, but Abrams the developer — and even thinks the glitchy game might have hurt Star Trek Into Darkness at the box office. “For me, emotionally, it hurt because we were working our asses off making the movie and then this game came out and it got — this isn’t even my opinion — it got universally panned,” he said. “And I think that it was something without question that didn’t help the movie and arguably hurt it.” Agree with Abrams or not, he certainly wouldn’t be able to blame any Star Wars shortcomings on a video game.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:28 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Time to wrap up the year with perhaps the final commentary on the box office of 2013:

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs II (predicted:$129 million) - ended up with $117 million, so not bad of a prediction.

Anchorman: The Legend Continues (predicted:$135 million) - this one started low with about $26 million on its first weekend (suggesting a final tally of about $80m), but continued strong during these holidays, so it may well end up close to the prediction - maybe $120m or $130m - so the prediction will be very good.

Thor: The Dark World (predicted:$211 million) - another close one; the 2nd Thor film just passed $200 million and will end at around $205m.

Ender’s Game (predicted:$223 million) - way, way off on this one. The irony here is that Ender's Game will end up with virtually the same gross as the predicted failure After Earth, which Pajiba nailed. Ender's Game will end with about $62 million only.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (predicted:$293 million) - The 2nd Hobbit movie has been running 15% behind the 1st Hobbit since it opened a few weeks ago, so that points to a final box office gross of about $255-$260 million.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (predicted:$387 million) - The 2nd Hunger Games film did huge business in its 1st 2 weeks but dropped harder after that than the 1st film, lending doubts to it reaching the coveted $400 million mark total. But, it had a minor upsurge during this X-Mas holiday season, bringing a $400m total within reach. It's currently the 2nd biggest film of the year - the question now is will it catch Iron Man Three's total of $409 million? Hard to say at this point... it's gonna be close, but the 2nd Hunger Games should claim the top spot for 2013, looks like.

The Predicted Losers - there is only one left at this point:

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (predicted:$63 million) - this just opened during the X-Mas season and was not very impressive; it seems like it will struggle to reach a $50m total. If it does do more, then the prediction was very close.

That's about it. As mentioned at the start, Pajiba didn't want to predict a gross of over $400 million for any films, for some reason; but, 2 films will have reached that mark. Also, the new Jack Ryan film was moved to early next year. And, 2 blockbusters that Pajiba didn't predict for are Gravity (about $255 million total) and Frozen, another animated feature which had surprising staying power and just had one of the biggest 5th weekends of all time; it will reach $300 million at this rate and quite beyond.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:04 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Did they have a prediction for The Wolf of Wall Street? Just saw it recently and thought it was great.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:17 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

No, they never got to that one. They limited it to only 20 films - what they thought would be the biggest ones of 2013 - and then another short list of what they thought would be bad clunkers. Wolf of Wall Street is about to reach $100 million and won't get much past that. It has a few Oscar nominations, such as best actor for DiCaprio.

btw, Hunger Games Catching Fire did indeed pass Iron Man 3's gross easily, just passing $420 million the other day, to make it the biggest film of the 2013 year. At this point, the big three of last year are:

Hunger Games Catching Fire: $420+ million
    Iron Man 3: $409 million
    Despicable Me 2: $368 million

However, Frozen (not even predicted) was such a big hit, it's still accruing money and may catch Despicable Me 2 next month sometime.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

That title threw me for a while because there's also a horror movie called Frozen. I believe it's about people stuck on a chair lift at a ski resort when the place closes for a weekend or the season. I think it's more about the characters surviving then being stalked by any kind of killer though.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:50 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Oh, yeah, that's right - there was that other Frozen film that came out a few years ago. I happened to catch about half of it on TV about a month ago. There's 2 or 3 young people stuck on a ski lift. Then one of them decides to jump down and breaks both his legs - pretty gross scene. On top of that, the wolves come around soon and put him out of his misery. Quite grim - probably nothing like the new animated film. Also nothing really to do with this thread - but it's lame that I forgot all about that other Frozen film until you brought it up. My memory is really going... :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:19 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Does anyone survive until the end?

I somehow thought the last Die Hard would make more, but I guess the public gets tired of the same stuff eventually.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Does anyone survive? Not sure - I can't help you there because I watched only half of it - the middle half. I was channel surfing and happened to come across it, but had to switch off about 20 minutes before the end for some reason.

The new animated Frozen film will probably pass Despicable Me 2 in box office gross next week; it's been the only 'go to' animated film for the past couple of months and this helped it in reaching remarkable numbers. It will only start to lose significant audience numbers on this weekend because the new LEGO movie will finally offer an alternative to kids and families.

As for that last Die Hard film, I finally caught it on one of the cable channels a couple of weeks ago. A relative of mine thought it was one of the worst films she'd ever seen, but I thought it was about average. I think it's become tough for audiences to see McClain yet again avoiding all manner of dangers and coming out almost scratch-free, especially at his advancing years. It sort of becomes a bad joke at some point and repetitive.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:32 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yes agreed, but still fun, for me to watch anyway. They even make reference to his advanced age in the last couple of movies. I've heard this was the last Die Hard anyway unless Willis were offered a sequel, then he said he would play the role one more time. I kind of hope it's over, seemed like a good way to go out, after helping his daughter in the last film, reconnecting with his son in this one plus there were some nods to the original with some of the shots, so seems like it was planned as the last one.

I'm glad the second theatrical Anchorman did well, as it's a pretty funny series IMO.