Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:46 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
"Christopher McQuarrie to Write, Direct Remake of 'Ice Station Zebra' (Exclusive)"

"Warner Bros. is remaking the Cold War thriller Ice Station Zebra and has tapped Christopher McQuarrie to write and direct it."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ion-451705

Unread postPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:29 pm 
Director of the National Post

Great idea for a thread Anton.

I know we touch on this all over this section, but having a dedicated thread is the way to go.
Should have been done a while back to be honest.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:59 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I like Christopher McQuarrie's stuff so it should be pretty solid. Will have to look into this.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:57 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

"HBO Orders WESTWORLD Remake Pilot from J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan"

http://collider.com/westworld-remake-hb ... han-nolan/

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:38 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
anton wrote:
"HBO Orders WESTWORLD Remake Pilot from J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan"

http://collider.com/westworld-remake-hb ... han-nolan/

Interesting. I like who is at the helm here and though I've never seen the original, the concept sounds right up my alley. I would definitely check this one out.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:14 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I heard there's a Robocop remake coming out as well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:39 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Anthony wrote:
I heard there's a Robocop remake coming out as well.

The trailer is everywhere now. It just got released.
The answer is no by the way.... I would not buy this film for a dollar

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:27 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

A lot of these remakes, reboots, sequels aren't very good. I used to often think studios shouldn't bother because of that, but then something occurred to me. They redo plays and musicals on stage with a new cast every few years or decades all the time, some good, some not so good. So why is that considered okay but not with movie making? Is it because the source material is altered a lot more often or is it because the newer interpretations just aren't as effective usually as the original ones?

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:07 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ <-------- THE ONLY REASON. IF YOU MAKE IT ....THEY WILL COME

Typical answer from a "fan"

"I'm not happy but I'll watch this new remake, but only to see the changes and what they do different."

This sentence gives studios and producers all the more incentive to churn out the same story but in a more updated version, usually completely disregarding the very same elements that made the original so good. Not only that but the scumbags end up making MORE money then the classics ever did.

Frankly they dont give a damn what we want to see remade....they know most of us are going to see it regardless.
How easy it is to feel manipulated by the whole thing. Unfortunately Im part of the problem as well....

"Id rather have a remake then nothing at all."

The 90s were pretty lame in terms of horror and the 2000s certainly saw a resurgence of great horror themed icons but it wouldnt have came about without certain reboots inspiring it.

OH the hypocrisy.... :(

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:06 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

If you're talking horror, I haven't seen a decent horror film since the first 2 Scream movies. I don't know what it is, but they don't seem to know how to write good, scary or even fun horror movies anymore, just remakes of ones that were good.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Some great news for a terrible film....Guess who is set to make a cameo in the ROBOCOP Remake.....

Ill give you a hint...he was in the original....

MIGUEL FKN FERRER!!!!

A shining ray of light in all this dark remake shite. Its just a cameo and not the same character but Hey...Total Recall remake didnt have Michael Ironside...so theres hope.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Of course "remake" is a tricky word. The "Psycho" remake was literally shot-by-shot. "Sequels" nowadays mean slight changes in plot, keep all the set-pieces in, change the dialog a little, make sure the end is the same. More like a remake, to me. There are few reasons to remake a movie; and the remakes often ignore those. Huge budgets make studios shy of new ideas. Yet they, each and every year, keep optioning excellent science fiction stories and novels, such as "The Stars My Destination" (often called the greatest SF novel of all time), "Stranger in a Strange Land" (even David Bowie's interest following his success in "The Man Who Fell to Earth" could not convince the Suits to make it) and many others just to "lock up" the Work in case some rival Studio Suit decided to option it out from under them and actually make the thing. Talk about hostage taking! At least the writer (or her Estate) keeps getting a fairly nice check every two or three years. But I've met no writer who wouldn't want the thing made--if it were made with respect. Wait. That's another issue!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:47 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Im going to have to reexamine the Psycho remake. People seem to hate it because its "shot for shot". looks like they set it up in that way to fail. NotLD was a remake that looks better..but changes JUST enough to stick out.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:39 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

"Ty Simpkins Lands Lead In ‘Jurassic World’"

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/ty-simp ... sic-world/

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:44 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Related:

"Stanley Kubrick reportedly considered a 'Dr. Strangelove' sequel directed by Terry Gilliam"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/12/4831 ... ry-gilliam

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

"The Island Of Dr. Moreau Is Getting Revisited By Warner Bros."

Quote:
This version of The Island of Dr. Moreau will be a contemporary re-interpretation of Wells’ original material, and while it’s keeping the sci-fi theme, they’re also going for something with a “topical ecological message.”

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Island-D ... 39313.html

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:40 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

You know, I love ecology and try to be reasonably Green. From where I sit writing this, I can see my 1st edition of Rachel Carlson's "Silent Spring" in hardback (I have her other Work in paperback elsewhere). That said, I'm kind of fed up that every kid's movie seems to be eco-propaganda. "The Jetsons" movie was the forerunner and I can name so many more. There ARE many other WORTHY plots and MESSAGES to include in animated films, right? Of course kids, who will inherit the mess made by their elders for greed, should be informed via fiction of this, but they're not, really. The political and other reasons for being pro or anti Green are never explained, as they could be, even to kids. How about being a bully? A 12 year old girl jumped off an industrial silo after Facebook bullying from 12 and 14 year old girls, both now arrested. How about why a robust space program started now, while you are 8 or 10 or 13 years old will mean unlimited wealth for you when you are 30 or 40? The Studio Suits think kids can only digest one or two simple things, like school textbook writers and editors who think a long, intensive study of animals until age 9 and then American Indians and Pilgrims are the BEST topics to spoon feed into youth.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:39 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I read today that a new movie about the biblical Noah is being made. It features an environmental message. :yack:

This all reminds me of a story...My kids came home one day and told me that we needed to observe "Earth Day" or some such tree-hugging activity. Their teachers said that they should turn off all the lights in the house for an hour to observe the event. I told them that we should actually leave the lights off all evening because it would help the earth even more.

Then they started using their iPhones and I asked them what they thought made them work. So they shut them off, too. We were saving the earth, after all.

Then they started watching TV and I told them to shut it off because it used that malevolent force know as electricity. I told them to read a book or something because we are after all, saving the planet (I pointed out that it takes cutting down trees to make books, too).

Needless to say, we've heard no more talk of saving the Earth in our home since that day and they actually think things through when they get force fed eco-propaganda. They also know that the earth will be here long after they and all of their offspring are long gone. Lessons are easy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:57 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
I read today that a new movie about the biblical Noah is being made. It features an environmental message. :yack:

This all reminds me of a story...My kids came home one day and told me that we needed to observe "Earth Day" or some such tree-hugging activity. Their teachers said that they should turn off all the lights in the house for an hour to observe the event. I told them that we should actually leave the lights off all evening because it would help the earth even more.

Then they started using their iPhones and I asked them what they thought made them work. So they shut them off, too. We were saving the earth, after all.

Then they started watching TV and I told them to shut it off because it used that malevolent force know as electricity. I told them to read a book or something because we are after all, saving the planet (I pointed out that it takes cutting down trees to make books, too).

Needless to say, we've heard no more talk of saving the Earth in our home since that day and they actually think things through when they get force fed eco-propaganda. They also know that the earth will be here long after they and all of their offspring are long gone. Lessons are easy.

Hereby nominated for post of the year. (or top 10 anyway)

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:59 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
How many trees were fell to make the Ark? God told Noah to build it - maybe he knows more than us?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:51 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Genesis 6:14

"Make thee an ark of gopher wood Toyota Prius..."

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:19 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

whitsbrain wrote:
Genesis 6:14

"Make thee an ark of gopher wood Toyota Prius..."

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:31 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

"Space: 2099 Reboot Series Still In The Works Says Executive Producer"

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/ ... ducer.html

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:41 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'll probably check out Robocop, looks like some decent action. I doubt it'll be the same statement about corporate America the original was though.

As for horror movies, I had Trick or Treat and the Ginger Snaps movie recommended to me, so there might be some hope for good horror after all.