Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Indestructible Man
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:09 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
Lon Chaney Jr. plays the title role, a criminal, known as "The Butcher" electrocuted and brought back to life. Now mute, bullet proof, and super strong, he kills the scientist who gave him new life and sets out for revenge on his fellow criminals who sent him to the Death House, including the woman he loved who betrayed him. There's even a bag of loot as a McGuffin.

Some say Chaney had problems with delivering lines due to drinking which was the reason for the Indestructible character to be mute. Whatever the reason, it works well, especially in the scene wherein he confronts his old lover and demonstrates his indestructible qualities by stabbing himself in the open palm with a large pair of scissors from her vanity in her strip club dressing room. No blood or injury happens to his "new" skin. She's convinced in a hurry.

Another notable scene happens earlier, when he man handles a stalled car by the roadside outside the prison, as well as the young lovers hoping for a little help with their vehicle.

Like a lot of Lon Chaney Jr.'s later Work ("Cyclops" and "Spider Baby" jump to mind) this one is a compact SF thriller worth seeing.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:57 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Does someone finally kill him again in the end? This reminds me of the later movies The Horror Show and Shocker. This one came before, so probably the first, or one of the first, of its kind. Sounds even better.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:22 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I finally watched this one about a year ago, even though I owned a sealed VHS tape edition of this film for several years. I ended up watching a DVD version (a double feature with The Amazing Transparent Man). It was more entertaining than I expected. Very low budget, but it plays up the superhuman concept as well as was possible for such a small picture. Nowadays, there are superhumans in almost every other film, thanks to all the Marvel Comics characters that made it big in movies, but back then this was a rare cinematic look at a super-villain outside the usual comic books.

Chaney being mute for most of the film threw me off a little, though it figures into the plot - he does speak at the start, making threats, but the experiment which alters him also fries his vocal cords. There are so many rumors about Chaney at this stage in his life involving his drinking and illness that it's tough to figure out what was what. I didn't like the narration which dominates much of the film, but it's a minor quibble. It lends a quasi-documentary style feel to it which doesn't really fit. Oh, yeah - this film also reminded me of the later Point Blank, with Lee Marvin in the Chaney role (revenge! revenge!). I don't want to go into too much detail as to how it ends, except that Chaney had a doomed quality about him as in many of his films. There did seem to be a limit to his supposed indestructibility and law-enforcement throws just about everything they could against him in a sort of spectacular finale.