Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1658 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:07 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Ok I create this thread for whitsbrain, DrM, SVB and the rest of the members that watch alot of movies.
Note- I don't watch very many, I don't want to look back at 2+ hours of my life and say to myself "this really sucks".
I would rather post here, or do something else thats essentially useless, than watch some bag of shite.

All that aside, I will start this off with one, that is older, but I really enjoyed.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:25 am 

Capricorn One - 1978

Director- Peter Hyams
Stars- Elliot Gould,James Brolin, Brenda Vaccaro, Sam Waterston, OJ Simpson, Hal Holbrook, Telly Savalas.

Classic conspiracy tale about the first manned mission to Mars. All appears to be going well until the astronauts are pulled off the ship just before launch by shadowy government types and whisked off to a film studio in the desert. It transpires that the space vehicle has a major defect which NASA just dare not admit. At the studio, over a course of months, the astronauts are forced to act out the journey and the landing to trick the world into believing they have made the trip. Meanwhile, a journalist (played by Gould) is getting suspicious and every clue he uncovers seems to result in an attempt on his life! The astronauts are just about to splashdown when a further twist to the tale occurs, leaving them with no choice but to try and escape...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this jewel is one that truly captured me when I was a young buck. I have always been a sucker for "conspiracy" stories, and also "space/sci-fi" is a real kicker for me, so this may just have been the one that started it all for TZDZ.
I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 years old when I first saw this, and it got me right out of the gate.
I went out and bought the DVD about 1-2 years ago, and I was surprised at how good it still is.

Overall, some of the special effects scenes were a little weak (such as when Gould has his car "rigged" and it goes to incredible speeds, in an attempt on his life)
But man oh man, this was a good one.
Believe it or not, OJ Simpson actually played a good role here. In todays society, he certainly isn't known for his acting, but he was good here IMO.
The scenes/filming and camera work was surprisingly good in this one, and some of the opening scenes were GREAT!
I really enjoyed the scenes of the "astronauts" in the desert. Pure genius.
Telly Savalas is great here too IMO.

This one hasn't aged particularly well, but its well worth a watch, if you like this type of conspiracy flick.
I'm going to give this one an "8", only for two reasons.
First, the ending wasn't nearly as strong as it could have been.
Second, the special effects aren't up to par in todays world, and some "doubters" may have a hard time believing this could happen as it was filmed and portrayed.

My god do I love this one though, its a classic in my book. (I truly am a sucker for this type of story)

Somehow I tend to think I won't get as much support on this one, but wow! do I have fond memories of watching it as a child, and that undoubtedly helps a ton.

BY THE WAY - - This one absolutely screams "remake", and I think it could be a real winner in todays market.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:33 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

i am torn on this movie. it was mix of ideologies and visuals of like STAR WARS, war of the worlds, 007, king kong, and 1940's war movies all complete with a nazi like invasion of new york city by giant robots......
way too much computer animation. and though angelina jolie had a short time in this movie, it was enough for me as i just don't care for her. gwyneth paltrow was great in her " weak feminine" heroine role. jude law wasn't bad at all.
i just don't know....

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:13 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
bobbyryates wrote:
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

i am torn on this movie. it was mix of ideologies and visuals of like STAR WARS, war of the worlds, 007, king kong, and 1940's war movies all complete with a nazi like invasion of new york city by giant robots......
way too much computer animation. and though angelina jolie had a short time in this movie, it was enough for me as i just don't care for her. gwyneth paltrow was great in her " weak feminine" heroine role. jude law wasn't bad at all.
i just don't know....

I thought this movie was very creative even though it borrowed a lot from other flicks. I thought the opening scene was very good, it featured the giant robots invading NYC. It really geeked me out! In fact, anytime the robots appeared on-screen, I was locked on.

I thought overall it was a fun watch but it was uneven and slow at times. I could have used more of Angelina Jolie, though. Those lips...

My rating: 7/10 -Very Good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:17 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: Hitman

Director: Xavier Gens

Year: 2007

My Rating: 6/10 - Good

A "Bourne Identity" style flick starring a genetically altered assassin who is double-crossed by his own organization. This movie is based on a video game but actually stands well on its own as a movie, believe it or not. It's not unwatchable as most video game based movies are.

The "hitman" himself was different. He was not a hulking, super-human but more graceful and quick. The hitman's ineffectiveness with the lead female in the film was also not the norm. There was some good action but a couple of fight scenes that had so many quick cuts/edits that it was difficult to tell what was happening.

Overall though, this movie was a nice surprise.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:44 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: Videodrome

Director: David Cronenberg

Year: 1983

My Rating: 6/10 - Good

A strange, demented film, but I would expect nothing less from Cronenberg. Some of the imagery here is shocking with objects like video tapes and televisions coming to life. James Woods turns in a strong performance and his poor character goes through some awful transformations. TV will surely ruin your mind.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:31 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Movie: Death Proof

Director: Quentin Tarantino

My Rating: 8/10 - Very Good

Done in the style of a 1970's low budget psycho-drama, I gotta say I love the feel of this film. Kurt Russell as Stunt Man Mike is just perfect casting. Sure, the dialog between the girls gets monotonous, but when the movie start to move, it is fun as hell. Some minor things in this film keep it from being a better movie - too much homage to bad cinema, color to black and white and then back, etc. A very Tarantino film however from start to finish.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:52 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

Movie: No Country For Old Men

Director(s): Joel & Ethan Coen

My Rating: 8/10

The ending is a bit abrupt and did have a kinda WTF? effect on the audience (myself included) at the screening I attended on opening night, but still a fantastic picture from the Coens. Great acting all around, and a very dark picture. And the bad guy is just ruthless. There are some bits of humor throughout, but certainly not as much as in Fargo, my favorite Coen flick.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:44 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

TITLE: PLANET TERROR

DIRECTOR: ROBERT RODRIGUEZ

YOR: 2007

RATING: 8.5/10

After the hugely disappointing Deathproof, this offering from The Grindhouse by the phenomenal director Robert Rodriguez was just what the doctor ordered. Man, what a f*in bloodfest. If you're the type that's into nonsensical, bloody, old-school zombie flicks (ie Dead Alive), then this one will not disappoint!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:55 am 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

Not a full-fledged review here, but I will agree with NYR94 to a degree... Planet Terror was my favorite of the two. I thought that Death Proof was too slow for too long, although the last half hour was pretty damn fun. I'd probably give Planet Terror a 7.5/10 and Death Proof a 6/10, although I have not seen either since seeing them in the theater. I wonder what I would feel about them upon a repeat viewing...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:25 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Freaks-1932

My Rating-8/10

I caught this on Turner Classic Movies last night around 3am........I was really tired but managed to catch most of it.....I didn't even think they would be playing this on TV but I instantly recognized it from other shows....well I give it 8 based on the fact that those freaks are so damn entertaining.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:00 pm 

SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
Freaks-1932

My Rating-8/10

I caught this on Turner Classic Movies last night around 3am........I was really tired but managed to catch most of it.....I didn't even think they would be playing this on TV but I instantly recognized it from other shows....well I give it 8 based on the fact that those freaks are so damn entertaining.

WOW!, I read somewhere long ago that "Freaks", was one of those weird disturbing movies.
Like the kind that you would never see on TV. Perhaps due to its age, they play it now, as maybe its easier to digest now, than it was years ago.

Sounds interesting, even though its not my type of movie.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:03 pm 

Freaks - 1932 - Will be the next entry in DrMoreau's Public Domian Movie Madness this Friday ;) Gotta love the PinHeads

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:10 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Mr. Brooks 2007

Kevin Costner, William Hurt, Demi Moore

From IMDB: The story follows a man with a murderous alter ego. Tracy Atwood is a tough detective whose devotion to her craft catches the attention and respect of the serial killer she is hunting, which leads to a symbiotic relationship.

Just rented and watched this one since it advertised a "different" kind of role for Costner and I generally like the rest of the cast. This is just one strange flick. It is interesting up to point and then spirals out of control with a horrendous ending that I saw coming (BTW....).
I read where this is suppose to be a trilogy, although I don't know why.
Anyone else seen this one?
I think I will go watch Field of Dreams instead! The Upside of Anger is another possibility though. That is a very good underrated film with Costner and the wonderful Joan Allen.....I didn't just see those two films though.....

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:54 pm 
The General
The General

I wanna know what you think! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:00 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
NYR94 wrote:
TITLE: PLANET TERROR

DIRECTOR: ROBERT RODRIGUEZ

YOR: 2007

RATING: 8.5/10

After the hugely disappointing Deathproof, this offering from The Grindhouse by the phenomenal director Robert Rodriguez was just what the doctor ordered. Man, what a f*in bloodfest. If you're the type that's into nonsensical, bloody, old-school zombie flicks (ie Dead Alive), then this one will not disappoint!

:clap: Absolutely. Death Proof was ok. I didn't like the ending and the whole setup took forever. Maybe a 5 for me - Sorry Doc. Planet Terror was non stop fun, and damn, Rose McGowan 1/2 nude, how can you not love that. The "Machette" preview also looked really fun, I hope RR does a couple mini movie serials outta that.

Planet Terror 7.5 - would have gotten an 8 but that damn missing reel dropped it a 1/2 point :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:37 am 

Oh, I concede that Planet Terror was the better movie. I particularly liked the casting better in Planet Terror as well.

Phineas J. Whoopee - 29 Nov 2007, 06:00 PM wrote:
Planet Terror 7.5 - would have gotten an 8 but that damn missing reel dropped it a 1/2 point :P

I don't know about that. It kinda added to the whole late 70s matinee or late night feel.

9!

PS: Damn Straight! Machete is da man!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:50 am 
The General
The General

That's what I thought too Sal. I liked it up until the ending, even though I did see it coming you know?
It also helped to have the still very hot in her 40's Demi Moore in top form too!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:23 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: 12 Monkeys

Director: Terry Gilliam

Year: 1995

My Rating: 7 - Very Good

Strange time travel/apocalyptic plot with a number of twists and turns. The story was challenging and while it moved slowly it does sustain the viewer's interest. This is largely because the relationship between Madeline Stowe and Bruce Willis and their performances are really the best thing about this film.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:43 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: Ratatouille

Director: Brad Bird

My Rating: 6 - Good

Technically, this movie had some amazing animation sequences. The realism of the rats when they were shown in packs was incredibly detailed. The story moves slowly and is probably going to be tough for busy body children to sit through. "Ratatouille" has a nice moral of overcoming the odds and never giving up on your dreams. I did find it to be disappointingly average though, given Brad Bird's past truly special animated films, namely "The Iron Giant" and "The Incredibles".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:44 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Movie: Snow Cake

Director: Marc Evans

Year: 2006

My Rating: 9

This movie really surprised me. Snow Cake stars Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, and Carrie-Anne Moss-for SF fans that is kind of neat in itself. Weaver portrays a high functioning autistic woman whose daughter is killed in a car accident while hitching a ride with Rickman's character.

Lots of strong acting here, plus the movie is surprisingly funny, which strangely enough makes it even more poignant. I enjoyed this movie-it is not your everyday feature. Check it out.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:49 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Movie: Alpha Dog

Director: Nick Cassavetes

My Rating: 7/10

Based on true events, the life and times of a teenage drug dealer and his friends, and the lead-up to being wanted by the FBI.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:29 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

lazyboyx51 wrote:

Based on true events, the life and times of a teenage drug dealer and his friends, and the lead-up to being wanted by the FBI.

Fucl *f@%k* *f@%k* yo' ratin' *f@%k* *f@%k* *f@%k*
thats how this movie ratees you you *f@%k* *f@%k*
alpha dog *f@%k* style

:lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:26 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

alpha dog *f@%k* style

:o Whaaaaat?!?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:26 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I thought Alpha Dog sucked.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:43 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

lazyboyx51 wrote:
SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

alpha dog *f@%k* style

they cuss alot in the movie...like right behind goodfellas all time...so like....ya

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:03 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

alpha dog *f@%k* style

they cuss alot in the movie...like right behind goodfellas all time...so like....ya

Oh ok. Did you like the movie? I thought it was a good adaptation of true events with some interesting performances - lots of recognized actors/actresses in that one.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:33 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

Movie: The Omega Man

Director: Boris Sagal

Year: 1971

My Rating: 5/10

This flick is mentioned a few times in the public domain movie madness thread here (with The Last Man on Earth being the first one highlighted). I've heard it mentioned many times among a couple of my movie friends, so many in fact that I thought I was missing out on a classic. Having seen it now, I wonder if it wasn't being mentioned because my friends just found it funny. I know that I did (at times), and I'm not sure that I was supposed to. Not there there aren't good moments, too, but the whole thing is just a bit too dated. The mutants (?) are silly and not at all scary. Heston is decent enough, but I think the next time I want to watch him, I'll rewatch the original Planet of the Apes.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:27 am 

bkirby wrote:
Movie: The Omega Man
Director: Boris Sagal
Year: 1971
My Rating: 5/10

Yep, that's about what I would rank this film ... Maybe even lower. However, hopefully having seen both "The Last Man on Earth" and "Omega Man," when you go and see I AM LEGEND, it will bring a bigger impact to you. Having seen it predecessors often gives me a greater insight on the movie as a whole. Now, having seen both it's previous incarnations I am expecting a riveting review of I am Legend, bkirby.

PS: Sorry if you took my mentioning of Omega Man in my DrMPDMM as a recommendation to see it. It was there as an overall history of where the movie came from and its previous incarnations. If Omega was in PD, it would be in my P-O-CT thread.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:29 am 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

No need to apologize, DrM. Like I said, I've been hearing about TOM for years, just had never gotten around to seeing it. I really wish I had taken the time to read the book before seeing the new version of the movie, but I didn't.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:53 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: Brazil

Director: Terry Gilliam

Year: 1985

My Rating: 3/10 - Fair

The fact that this movie has some stunning visuals and quirky characters can't disguise the fact that it's boring. Some consider it Terry Gilliam's masterpiece but "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" and "12 Monkeys" are much more entertaining films. I didn't care about the lead characters in "Brazil", either. I thought they were thin and dull with only Robert DeNiro's appearance worthy of note.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:54 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: Identity

Director: James Mangold

Year: 2003

This is an exciting horror flick with many tense, even shocking moments. Jon Cusack's character is an everyday hero, so cool and calm under pressure that you know something is not quite as it appears. There really were a lot of twists and turns here. Many fans of shows like the Twilight Zone may really enjoy this. The ending was a letdown when compared to the rest of the film.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:55 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Director: Robert Wise

Year: 1979

This movie is quite a departure from the original TV series. Of course, the personalities we've come to enjoy are all here but the visuals are stunning, even 2001-ish in their look. I was amazed at how long the director allowed us to tour the freshly redesigned Enterprise along with Kirk and Scotty. You're also allowed to marvel at the wonders of the alien spacecraft. Robert Wise really respects the viewer's capacity for an attention span. The way the crew was reassembled was thoughtful, too. There's even a surprising conclusion.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:56 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: Space Truckers

Director: Stuart Gordon

Year: 1996

My Rating: 1/10 - Poor

What a steaming pile of space junk this is. It's done tongue-in-cheek, but doesn't that require it to be clever (which it isn't)? The effects are second rate, which was likely done intentionally as well. The dialogue is slight, the heroes are unlikable and the villains are morons.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:57 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: Monty Python and The Holy Grail

Director: Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones

Year: 1975

My Rating: 9/10 - Excellent

One of the all time classic movie comedies. "The Holy Grail" is funny, grotesque and totally original. Each of the Monty Python cast is at their most entertaining and hilarious throughout. It's even more fun to try and spot all of the different roles each of them play. John Cleese scores highest here with his portrayal of the violent "Sir Lancelot the Brave" and "Tim the Enchanter".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:48 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Movie: Aliens

Director: James Cameron

Year: 1986

My Rating: 10/10 - Excellent

Without a doubt, one of my ten favorite movies. "Aliens" is a total non-stop thrill ride of a film. Its loaded with action, scares, sci-fi and great effects. A sequel that surpasses the original is rare, but "Aliens" is superior to "Alien". Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn are not you're typical action movie heroes. Their characters manage to relay a depth seldom seen in the movies, even though they have to literally shoot their way out of the aliens' lair. The creatures themselves are fantastic creations, especially the "queen" alien. This is a smart, exciting movie.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:33 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Mr. Brooks 2007

Kevin Costner, William Hurt, Demi Moore

From IMDB: The story follows a man with a murderous alter ego. Tracy Atwood is a tough detective whose devotion to her craft catches the attention and respect of the serial killer she is hunting, which leads to a symbiotic relationship.

Just rented and watched this one since it advertised a "different" kind of role for Costner and I generally like the rest of the cast. This is just one strange flick. It is interesting up to point and then spirals out of control with a horrendous ending that I saw coming (BTW....).
I read where this is suppose to be a trilogy, although I don't know why.
Anyone else seen this one?
I think I will go watch Field of Dreams instead! The Upside of Anger is another possibility though. That is a very good underrated film with Costner and the wonderful Joan Allen.....I didn't just see those two films though.....

3000 Miles To Graceland I liked a lot, with Costner in the psycho bad guy role and it also has Kurt Russell.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:18 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
I watched "Little Children" yesterday, not usually my type of film but it's pretty good and unusual, I'd give it 7/10. My main reason for wanting see it is for Jackie Earle Haley's oscar nominated performance, as he's playing Rorschach in the Watchmen movie adaptation that's being filmed at the moment :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:05 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Alright SVB...

Movie: Dawn of the Dead

Director: Zack Snyder

Year: 2004

Zombies galore. Yeah it's a remake, but it was pretty damn freaky. I'd like to see Romero's version, but I was satisfied with this one.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:28 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

To be honest.....and I think even Romero said this....that the remake of Dawn of the Dead is more of an action movie then anything. Yes rent the original if you have to....it is by far the best horror zombie movie ever made......zombies were nothing until the original Dawn......its so deep also.....little things you notice that relate to real life or the life back then...its great.....I still like the remake though.....it is pretty crazy...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:54 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
To be honest.....and I think even Romero said this....that the remake of Dawn of the Dead is more of an action movie then anything. Yes rent the original if you have to....it is by far the best horror zombie movie ever made......zombies were nothing until the original Dawn......its so deep also.....little things you notice that relate to real life or the life back then...its great.....I still like the remake though.....it is pretty crazy...

I completely agree...I liked it simply for the visuals, action and gore. I also figured that Romero's would be more cerebral (in terms of meaningful storyline etc. etc.). The only original I've seen is Night Of The Living Dead (1968) and that gets an easy '10' from me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:29 am 

Spider-Man IV - Night of the Living Spider-Zombie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:25 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Dead Silence

Year released 2007

My rating-eh....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:04 pm 

SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
Dead Silence

Year released 2007

My rating-eh....

OK - so I'm taking it: eh = 7 & meh = 4? Sounds about right to me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:15 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

Movie: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Director: Tim Burton

Rating: 9/10

What can I say? I loved it. Being familiar with the stage version since I was in high school, I had high expectations going in (and was greatly worried that it would come nowhere near them), but I can't believe how well it turned out. Now, I am a Burton fan, and think some of the Burton/Depp collaborations are among the best films of both of them, so I'm sure that helped. I'm also a horror fan, and the movie doesn't pull any punches with the blood/darkness - so that was a plus for me as well. It certainly wasn't perfect, but I personally can't wait to see it again - and own it on DVD.

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of the Romero zombie flicks, but I thought the Dawn of the Dead remake was quite enjoyable. At least a 7/10 for me, too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:11 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

DrMoreau wrote:
SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
Dead Silence

Year released 2007

My rating-eh....

Bingo. But in this case Dead Silence gets a -2 for me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:53 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
DrMoreau wrote:
SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
Dead Silence

Year released 2007

My rating-eh....

Co-sign.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:56 pm 

Ron Burgundy wrote:
SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
DrMoreau wrote:
SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
Dead Silence

Year released 2007

My rating-eh....

Co-sign.

Aw, come on, boys - Dead Silence was a fun movie. Not great, but cleaver and enjoyable. That P-O-C remake of Halloween blew 8x as many chunks as Dead Silence, but that's another review.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:57 pm 

bkirby wrote:
Movie: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Director: Tim Burton

Rating: 9/10

What can I say? I loved it. Being familiar with the stage version since I was in high school, I had high expectations going in (and was greatly worried that it would come nowhere near them), but I can't believe how well it turned out. Now, I am a Burton fan, and think some of the Burton/Depp collaborations are among the best films of both of them, so I'm sure that helped. I'm also a horror fan, and the movie doesn't pull any punches with the blood/darkness - so that was a plus for me as well. It certainly wasn't perfect, but I personally can't wait to see it again - and own it on DVD.

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of the Romero zombie flicks, but I thought the Dawn of the Dead remake was quite enjoyable. At least a 7/10 for me, too.

:clap: Sounds like it's a hit to me. :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:07 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

DrMoreau wrote:
:clap: Sounds like it's a hit to me. :clap:

Certainly is in my opinion... We'll see what the numbers look like over the next few weeks, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1658 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next