Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Chael and Mir are done as contenders, now its up to them to decide what they want to do. Chael has a fallback plan at least with the commentary and pre show stuff, and Mir could always be a trainer in Greg Jacksons camp. As far as them fighting, you know they only want top ranked fights so expect the end fairly soon or just fights that have no relevance.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:12 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
I agree. I'm a Mir fan, but don't like Sonnen. The guy didn't deserve his last two title shots. I just want Sonnen to go away as a fighter and Mir to retire because he's looked bad in his last 2 fights now. He hit his peak when he beat Tim Sylvia for the title and then another brief one when he beat Hardonk, Lesnar and then Nogueira, but was done as a major contender after the the Lesnar loss at UFC 100 4 years ago. There are talks of a Jones-Silva superfight if Silva can get past his defense with Weidman. That would be epic. Women's MMA is becoming bigger now, with it finally being featured in the UFC. The Rousey-Carmouche fight was great IMO, Tate-Zingano was pretty good, the McMann-Gaff fight I haven't seen yet, but heard was good. Rousey-Zingano should be another great one, two submission fighters facing off, a judo and BJJ black belt fighting.

I'm really hoping both Silva and GSP retire still with the titles.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:19 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Dont get me wrong about Frank Mir I think hes going to be a Hall of Famer but of all the fights Ive seen of his in the past couple years almost all of his victories where by guys past their prime or not at their best...Kongo, Cro Cop, Nog (twice) all impressive though.
Hopefully we can see a few more fights but against lesser opponents. How many other HWs are around his age anyway.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:54 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Exactly, just retire already. Once he does, I'll watch his career set at least one more time from start to finish. His 3rd career fight to the present can all be found online, since that's how long he's been with the UFC. Two time heavyweight champion and 9 first round submission wins still isn't too shabby. I believe only Royce Gracie has more submission wins in the UFC.

You watch any boxing, SVB? Mayweather fights Guerrero tonight and Gamboa fights on HBO at the end of this month.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Now there are talks of a Sonnen-Wanderlei fight, probably at light heavy. Probably another TKO loss for Sonnen if true.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:46 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Josh Barnett now says he wants to come back to the UFC and fight Mir. I guess it would be battle of the old UFC former UFC heavyweight champions. Man, these old guys are hanging on and even fighting each other. Maybe MMA needs, as Dan Severn once put it a "seniors circuit" lol. There are also talks of a Ken Shamrock-Ian Freeman fight.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:09 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I was always cool with no age limit. If people want to fight each other, and people want to pay...sign the waivers and get it on. These guys will be legends of the sport for future generations...these current or retiring fighters literally created the sport. Imagine saying you watched Babe Ruth, or saw a game live. You could make the same comparisons.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:16 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

UFC on Fuel was great, 10 out ot 12 fights finished, which is what MMA calls it when a fight finishes inside the distance. 8 submissions and 2 knockouts. That's my kind of fight card. Fabrico Werdum, the guy that ended the longest winning streak in MMA, the one by Fedor, wins again, putting him in title contention. There is talk of a possible number one contender fight for him now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:59 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well luckily Shamrock-Freeman was cancelled. I'm kind of looking forward to Mir-Barnett. And also, Anderson Silva LOSES for the first time...in the UFC, that is. It was his 5th overall loss. And he got beat for the title by Chris Weidman, a local guy from here in Long Island, Baldwin I believe. A rematch is set for December 28. I'm already looking forward to that card, as it will also have the Tate-Rousey rematch. I used to like Tate, but I'm more of a Rousey fan now, as she comes off as more fun and genuine, so I've been rooting for her in every fight since she won the title. The Carmouche defense was a good one IMO. I'm rooting for Silva to win back the belt in the rematch. I'm thinking maybe second round TKO. I still say Fedor is the GOAT though (Greatest Of All Time). To have a near 10 year winning streak as a heavyweight, mostly in Pride and to beat both Crocop and Big Nog at their own games is still the best thing on anyone's resume I've seen in this sport. To be able to outstrike Crocop and stay in Noguiera, a BJJ blackbelt's guard and win a decision is really impressive.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:18 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Barnett KOs Mir with a knee to the face, now the first time he has had 2 and now 3 losses in a row. I say Frank Mir is done. I hope he considers retirement when his contract is up. If he doesn't, he'll just be filler for any upcoming UFC shows against lower ranked contenders now. Not sure how far Barnett will go at his age, but it'll be interesting to find out now. And Pettis armbars Henderson in the first round to win the lightweight title.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:59 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

New season of The Ultimate Fighter started. Man, I hope Shayna Baszler gets a UFC contract somehow, great jiu jitsu on her.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well Shayna lost to Julianna Pena. Damn, I was really pulling for her. I still like Roxanne Modafferi though. As for the guys, hard to tell.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:07 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Ronda Rousey is coming off more and more bitter, angry and insecure on The Ultimate Fighter. Seems like she really needs some therapy.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:19 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Khabib Nurmagomedov wins again. Yeah KHABIB.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:15 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

All UFC is on Fox Sports 1 now and SpikeTV and FX stopped showing it. Unfortunately I dongt have it... so I try to follow online. What do you think about Bellators progress Anthony? Im looking forward to Tito vs Rampage ppv.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:43 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Aah, I'm not liking them as much as One FC, who I hope becomes big competition for the UFC. I prefer their MMA Global Rules to the Unified Rules that UFC and Bellator uses. It takes the old Pride rules and improves upon them. Ronda looks like a psycho on this show and more fans are starting to root for Miesha now. Ronda and her trainer are coming off as very petty and immature.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:19 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Recap show this week and then 2 fights next week, one male and one female to end the prelim round of the tournament on The Ultimate Fighter.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:11 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Ultimate Fighter Finale this weekend. I'm thinking the men's winner will come from Team Tate and the women's from Team Rousey this year.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:47 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Holy crap, Anderson Silva has gotta be done after that. That calf just cracked like a crab leg. Word has it he wants to come back, I guess because he has about 8 fights left on his contract. I just hope he doesn't hurt his legacy by doing so, as he's already considered the Sugar Ray Robinson of MMA, as in the all-time best pound for pound in the sport. I guess that would make Fedor the Joe Louis of MMA, humble and dominant over a long period.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:33 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Damnit, I was really pulling for Faber. Funny how his only losses lately are in title fights. With him losing two title shots, I'm guessing he'll move up or down a weight class.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:23 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

And not surprisingly, Roy Nelson knocks out Big Nog. Fans are really hoping he retires now, as well as Chael Sonnen after fighting Wandy, Hendo and Shogun.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:26 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Fabricio Werdum dominates Travis Browne to an easy unanimous decision and almost submits him to get a title shot with Cain Velasquez in the heavyweight division. Should be a good title fight. Not many people saw this one coming.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:19 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So, Rousey gets her first loss, leaves for a while and now mentions coming back possibly by the end of the year. And New York becomes the final state to legalize MMA, only needing enough days to go by or a signature from Governor Cuomo to make it official. A UFC event is already scheduled for Madison Square Garden in November.

Also, one of the old Pride owners starts a new promotion over in Japan called Rizin Fighting Federation, where Fedor fought a comeback fight last new Year's Eve. It'll be nice to see if they can compete with the UFC, like they did back in the day when Pride was around. One Fighting Championship has the best set of rules though IMO. They also allow kicks and knees to an opponents head when he's down, just not stomps to the head, but also allow elbows on the feet or ground. I like this because it seems to prevent a lot of the boring lay and pray that wrestlers use sometimes to win decisions and gives more offensive options, making for more exciting fights.

Bellator and Invicta are the other good promotions. Invicta is an all female promotion that had become a stepping stone for women to make it to the UFC, but has more weight classes for them and Bellator is competitive for making good fights and some crazy freak show ones, like the recent Kimbo Slice vs. Dada 5000 fight, where Kimbo won after Dada pretty much fell over after taking a good left hook in the 3rd and last round, leading him to later go into cardiac arrest in the hospital, keeping him there for a couple of weeks. That same night Ken Shamrock got his rematch with Royce Gracie. Still nothing settled. I don't see how anything could be though, since both guys are way past prime. I guess maybe since they're pretty close in age. Too bad it was controversial, with Gracie winning with hammer fists thrown after landing a knee accidentally to the groin of Shamrock. I guess this means they'll fight again at some point. I hope Ken just retires after that though, the guy's 52 now. Royce only came out of retirement for this fight and is currently working for Bellator after last fighting in 2007, so no worries with him.

I pretty much mostly watch Rousey, Tate, JJ, the women's strawweight champion, Jon Jones, Dematrius Johnson and Khabib, maybe Dominick Cruz, when he's not injured. I used to watch almost every fight. Now I just catch replays later on DVD, to skip past the boring parts.