Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any boxing fans here?
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:37 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Any boxing fans here, besides me? I was a bigger fan of the sport when I was younger, then lost interest and mostly watched MMA, but have since become a fan again, after checking out some of the current boxers like Miguel Cotto, Andre Ward and Yuriorkis Gamboa.

I'm mostly watching career sets I get online of different boxers, I have some MMA ones I have to go through too. Right now I'm finishing up watching a Bernard Hopkins set. This guy was even better than I remembered, being middleweight champion for 10 years and 20 title defenses, after the 20th changed his nickname from The Executioner to The EXXecutioner, XX Roman Numeral 20 and all. He's older now and his more recent fights have been kind of lackluster 12 round decisions, but his fights against Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad and William Joppy are worth checking out. When I finish going through the rest of my sets, I'll be trying to catch up on more recent fights.

My all-time favorite boxer is Rocky Marciano. My other favorites include Joe Louis, Lennox Lewis, Muhammad Ali and Evander Holyfield. Others I enjoy watching footage of are Mike Tyson, Roy Jones Jr. Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Sugar Ray Robinson, Oscar De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. Some others I like I have yet to watch more of are guys like Ray Mancini, Nigel Benn, David Tua, Sonny Liston, George Foreman, Marco Antonio Barrera and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.

So who are everyone else's favorites here? It's kind of sad how boxing used to be huge in the U.S. but even the big fights aren't talked about much today in the mainstream media. I remember when even the local sports news would talk about a big main event or a title fight, but those days are gone. I think it has to do with no more boxing on the major networks anymore and there being too many major title belts so even big fans of the sport get confused. Maybe if boxing went back to one belt in each weight class and showed fights on CBS or NBC again, or sometimes even ABC. Even when Tyson was heavyweight champion, he had to win 3 belts to be undisputed, now there's 5 belts in every weight class. Usually now a guy will win 2 or 3 of the title belts and eventually the Ring Magazine Title, which means he's the lineal champion and has beaten the top guys in his weight class or dominates for a long enough time. I know Joe Calzaghe used to have the Ring Light Heavyweight title and Wladimir Klitschko has the Ring Heavyweight Title.

So it can get confusing, unless one guy dominates and clears out his weight class. The important thing is it's still a great sport IMO with some very talented competitors. They just have to win more belts to be considered the real champion in their weight classes and politics and disagreements over money and other conditions can sometimes get in the way of some good fights. That's one thing MMA has over boxing these days, the best always seem to fight each other in MMA and almost every month, whereas the bigger names in boxing can often avoid tougher or more dangerous opponents for bigger paydays and to hold onto their titles or to pad their win loss/records.

Thoughts, opinions? What kind of boxer do you like? I gravitate towards big punchers and guys that go to war every time out. Holyfield, Tyson, Marciano, Benn, Chavez, Cotto, Barrera, Liston, Foreman, Aaron Pryor, guys like that. What about you guys?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:41 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So nobody else besides me watches boxing or used to watch boxing?

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:30 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Oh come on, all the sports fans we have here and nobody is a fan of boxing, or used to be? Okay, I'll just keep posting and entertaining myself. :clap:

Yuriorkis Gamboa, one of the few bright spots in modern boxing stayed undefeated with a unainimous decison with over Orlando Salido. He's currently 19-0 with 15 KOs.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:35 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Haven't paid attention to boxing in 30 years. Sorry Anthony.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:21 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Who did you like when you DID watch the sport?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:47 am 

Ali, Frasier, Foreman

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:06 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I love those 3 as well. So you never got into Tyson, Holyfield or the big 4 in the '70s and '80s below heavyweight, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:15 pm 

Fond memories. Boxing - and in some respect sports in general - seriously took a nose dive without Howard Cosell behind the mic.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:23 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Nose dive good one lol, in regards to Cosell and his schnoz. I never really liked his voice, liked his interviews though. Looks like Paul Williams/Sergio Martinez 2 is considered the boxing fight of the year for 2010. Hell of a knockout.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:27 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well, Wladimir Klitschko won an easy 12 round unanimous decision in a mostly uneventful fight against British boxer David Haye. After all the build up and trash talking by Haye, he didn't do crap in there. Nice to know there's one definitive heavyweight champion again, at least. I heard this was the first heavyweight unification fight in 8 years, since Lennox Lewis won a TKO over Vitali Klitschko on a cut stoppage. Lewis then promptly retired and now finally there's one heavyweight champion again with all the major belts. I say they just combine them into one belt already. Enough of this 4 or 5 major title belts crap, it's become a joke. The only good thing about boxing today is that there's still a few guys out there willing to fight the best and not just go for the biggest payday everytime out like Miguel Cotto, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Williams, Martinez. I just heard Floyd Mayweather is fighting Victor Ortiz in September, who just had an impressive decision win over Andre Berto, to give him his first career loss. I still say Floyd will get a dominant unanimous decision win, how about you guys? Pacquiao is looking ro fight again in November, should be a good one, no matter who the opponent is, I'm hearing Timothy Bradley, Zab Judah or a third Juan Manuel Marquez fight. Should be a good battle if one of those guys.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:04 am 
Director of the National Post

My buddy said that this fight was pretty good, but in his words "it still sucked".

He and I agree that what boxing needs now is 2 or 3 exciting new heavyweights to garner interest again.

I don't know how popular it is anymore, but from everyone I talk to, its just not as popular as it once was.
Like DrM, I haven't followed it in years. (though not quite that long)

When Tyson came about and got popular quickly, it seems to me that "that era" was the last big sizzle for boxing.
Someone is destined to come along again though................

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:56 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Believe it or not, Evander Holyfield still fights from time to time. Last night's fights were pretty good. Erislandy Lara looked really good on HBO, then the judges robbed him and gave the decision to Paul Williams, who I like but he didn't win that fight. The fight before that was really good though, nice KO on a left hook in the 7th for Rico Ramos over Japanese Afikume Shimoda, you should check out Boxing Ater Dark and Championship Boxing on HBO. Amir Khan is fighting soon against Zab Judah, that should be a battle, Maidana/Guerrero should be good as well. I can't believe Floyd Mayweather is fighting again, this time against Victor Ortiz, who gave Andre Berto his first loss. Mayweather will probably win a unanimous decision. He should just fight Pacquiao or retire already. And Pacquiao should just agree to the drug testing this way Mayweather can't make anymore excuses or, as I read online in a recent article, he'll have no more cards left to play. There's still good fighters today, they're just not household names anymore, except for a few guys like Hopkins, Pacquiao or Mayweather.

I'd say the guys to watch are guys like Miguel Cotto and Yuriorkis Gamboa. Gamboa is quick, kind of flashy and hits hard, was a gold medalist in 2004 and is the best at 125. Cotto is a total warrior who will take on anyone, like a fighter should be IMO. I heard he's supposed to have a rematch with Antonio Margharito, which I hope Cotto wins this time. I hope he gives Margacheato a good beat down.

So what makes it not as popular is really 3 things. One, no major network coverage anymore. On any given weekend, you used to be able to tune into ABC, NBC or CBS and see a big boxing match on TV, you didn't need premium cable channels or have to order it on pay per view. Two, there's too many damn belts. Even up until the '60s to '80s, guys that had different belts in different weight classes seemed more willing to fight other champions to unify so that there would be one best fighter in each weight class. Of course, before that there was just one title belt in every weight class. The third thing is the best fighters seemed to be more willing to face off against each other. These days, you too often hear disagreements over money or venues, drug testing or whatever. In the past, just about everyone seemed more willing just to face the best fighters, so they themselves would be considered the best if they won. I mean, I've heard stories of some fighters of the past avoiding certain opponents, but not as often as today. I guess because some see it as too much of a risk, opting for more appealing, possibly bigger money fights, but ones that might be easier for them and less exciting. As long as there's still a few guys left with some toughness and balls, I'll still be checking out the sport.

Oh yeah and the heavyweight divison is considered pretty weak still, outside of the Kiltschkos and it'll probably stay that way for a few more years until they retire. At least David Haye finally grew a sack and stepped in there with Wladimir. It was the first heavwyeight unification in 8 years though, which is just ridiculous.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:02 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
My buddy said that this fight was pretty good, but in his words "it still sucked".

He and I agree that what boxing needs now is 2 or 3 exciting new heavyweights to garner interest again.

I don't know how popular it is anymore, but from everyone I talk to, its just not as popular as it once was.

When Tyson came about and got popular quickly, it seems to me that "that era" was the last big sizzle for boxing.

TZ DZ fan

In the heavyweight division, yeah probably. Give it a few years, until either the Klitschkos retire or until someone dethrones them. Wladimir has all the major belts now. If you're talking about any weight class that has someone with sizzle, check out Miguel Cotto. The guy's like the modern day Julio Cesar Chavez, a total badass in the ring.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

TZ DZ fan

Why just heavyweights though? Don't you guys watch the other weight classes? I know the heavyweights have always been the most popular though, but definitely check out those lower weight classes, some fast and flashy guys and hard punchers too.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:13 pm 

I know some of the smaller classes have many excellent, more dynamic boxers.
Years ago I used to catch some of the other classes, on the weekends, even during the late afternoons and evenings.

As you pointed out above, its hard to find any fights at all on tv nowadays. (at least not nearly as much as it used to be it seems)
It just comes down to time now, and the few nights you can actually catch it on tv, normally I am not at home.

Hell I wish I had more time to be watching some of the old classics here again too , but I just don't right have it right now.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:07 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

OOh, I just discovered ESPN's Friday Night Fights. After the one I just saw this past Friday, I'd have to say I highly recommend it. If you can find it online, check out their last main event, Delvin Rodriguez vs. Pawel Wolak. After it was over, I pumped my fist and said "Now THAT's a fight and that is what boxing is all about." Just two guys going toe to toe for the full 10 rounds. I guess they don't show 12 rounders on this show. Teddy Atlas was saying to both guys afterwards that if they were heavyweights, they'd be major contenders for all the heavyweight belts. The Fertitas need to take notice as well and change some rules to stop all the laying and praying in the UFC.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:37 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well, more recently Yuriorkis Gamboa won again, this time a technical decision over Daniel Ponce De Leon. Gamboa is now 21-0 with 16 KOs. This guy is the best in the featherweight division right now, so check him out if you get a chance. His fights these days are usually shown on HBO.

This weekend Floyd Mayweather beat Victor Ortiz by KO in the 4th round. I'll probably watch this one by next weekend. There's 3 more good fights coming up before the end of the year. First Bernard Hopkins takes on Chad Dawson, there's Pacquiao/Marquez 3 and Cotto/Margharito 2. I'm hoping for wins by Hopkins, Pacquiao and Cotto in those, they should all be pretty exciting. Hopkins fights October 15, Pacquiao November 12 and Cotto December 3.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:19 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Watching Mayweather replay tonight. Anyone else here watch this one?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:00 pm 

I heard about the bizarre ending.

I still haven't seen it anywhere online yet.
I am sure its posted on youtube or something but I just haven't taken the time to dig it up and watch it.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Its a few minutes into this video, but it is absolutely one of the worst moments in boxing history...such a crock of shite. Not that I got anything against Mayweather, except that hes a pussy for not fighting Manny. But I think both of them are to chickenshit to get it done.

Link

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:05 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I disagree. I saw the fight and it was totally legal. The ref said fight or time in and Mayweather was within his rights to throw that combination. Now if you want to talk bad moments, I'd go with the crap Mayweather spewed to Larry Merchant in the post fight interview, completely disrespectful, he should've been ashamed of himself. My friend sent me the pay per view broadcast with the undercard. I'll probably watch that sometime in the next couple of weeks and let you guys know what I think. I heard it was a pretty good one.

What is Manny afraid of? The only problem has been they couldn't agree on a cutoff date for blood testing. I read a great article online a few weeks ago that said Manny should just agree to all the testing so Mayweather will have no more cards left to play, no more excuses then. But why should a fighter dictate how any kind of drug testing is done anyway? Floyd's not part of any boxing commission. Floyd doesn't want to lose his unbeaten record and Manny probably doesn't want to lose his winning streak or his title. Boxing needs this fight, but we still have some good ones. Like I said, there's Hopkins/Dawson, Pacquiao/Marquez 3 and Cotto/Margharito 2. Those last 2 should be wars. Who do you guys have in these. I got Hopkins, Pacquiao and Cotto. I could see TKOs in all 3, but Hopkins probably wins a unanimous decision. I could see the other 2 finishing inside the distance though.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:42 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Anyone see Bernard Hopkins vs. Chad Dawson. What the hell was up with that? So do you think it'll be a no conest or a DQ win for Hopkins?

Okay so it was a no contest. Cotto/Magharito 2 was the only really good one of the 3 mentioned above. Although Rodriguez/Wolak 1 or Kirkland/Angulo is most people'e pick for fight of the year. I lean slightly towards Kirkland/Angulo, since after watching them again recently Wolak/Rodriguez 1 started off a little slower.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:01 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Mayweather's Cindo De Mayo fight signed this week. He's facing ring warrior Miguel Cotto. As much as I love Cotto, I see an easy unanimous decision win for Mayweather, how about you guys? He's too good a counterpuncher, especially against agressive big punchers, like Cotto, as evidenced by his bouts with Corrales, Marquez and Gatti.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:02 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Oh yeah and Angelo Dundee just died. He was 90. Is there already a thread on this?

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Fights I'm looking forward to so far this year:

Mayweather/Cotto
Pacquiao/Bradley
Hopkins/Dawson 2

Also, last Saturday, Sergio Martinez, the Ring Magazine Middleweight Champion, therefore, the real and true champion of his weight class, successfully defended his title with a good TKO win at the end of the 11th round. He struggled early, but came through when the going got tough, like all the greats do. He would probably have trouble with middleweights from the past, but in this era, he's one of the best.

This Saturday are two more good ones coming up. Danny Garcia takes on Erik "El Terribile" Morales and James Kirkland fights again. Both fights should be real wars. Kirkland's last fight was a candidate for fight of the year for 2011.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:21 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well Garcia pulleed out a nice unanimous decision win over the veteran Erik Morales. Kirkland ends up winning by DQ in a ref judgement so bad that even Kirkland himself admitted it and agreed he would give his opponent a rematch. Neither guy was anywhere near as aggresive as they're known to be. I was expecting better. Oh well.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:09 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Who are you guys picking for the 3 big fights coming up?

Hopkins/Dawson 2 - April 28
Mayweather/Cotto - May 5
Pacquiao/Bradley - June 9

I think Hopkins, Mayweather and Pacquiao win unanimous decisions, how about you guys?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:35 am 

Anthony wrote:
I think Hopkins, Mayweather and Pacquiao win unanimous decisions, how about you guys?

My picks too

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:18 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Forgot one more. Andre Berto/Victor Ortiz 2 is June 23. I think Berto might pull it out, either a close decision or maybe a TKO, but he took a lot of punishment from Berto the last time, that's why I think it might go the distance.

I see Berto as determined in this rematch to beat the guy that ended his undefeated record. Then again, Ortiz could be determined to come back strong after his loss to Mayweather. I like Berto in this one though, but I could be wrong, both guys are pretty tough, so could go either way. Both guys were knocked down in the first fight.

Also, Shane Mosley fights Saul "Canelo" Alvarez on the Mayweather/Cotto undercard I believe. I think Mosley is done, past his prime now. He looked really bad against Pacquiao. I think Alvarez will hurt him as well. He'll either stop Mosley or Mosley might hold a lot to avoid the TKO. Either way, I like Alvarez in that one. Mosley's 40, he needs to retire already. Speaking of guys that need to retire, I don't know why Evander Holyfield's most recent fight was in 2011. He will be 50 this October. With a name like his, there has to be better and easier ways for him to make money. He's supposed to fight Vitali Klitschko. If that happens, Holyfield will get destroyed. Maybe that will convince him to finally retire. Pacquaio and Mayweather should retire, unless they can get a fight with each other. Otherwise, there's nowhere left for them to go in their careers. Manny is more into politics in the Phillipines and Mayweather has nobody else left to challenge him, except maybe Sergio Martinez, if he's willing to move up to middleweight.

So I got Alvarez and Berto, how about you guys?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:08 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Sergio Martinez also pulled out a nice TKO win over middleweight title challenget Mathew Macklin St. Patrick's Day weekend.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:25 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Hopkins, Mayweather, Pacquiao, Alvarez and Berto, probably all by unanimous decision. I could see maybe Pacquiao and Berto getting stoppages.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Wow, was I wrong about Hopkins. He was dominated in a unanimous decision loss to Chad Dawson. Maybe Dawson will avenge his only loss next, to Jean Pascal or eventually anyway. As lineal and undisputed light heavyweight champion, there should be some really good fights lined up for him now. Hopefully my other 4 predictions will be right, or at least 3 of 4. Two are this Saturday, Mayweather vs. Cotto and Mosley vs. Alvarez.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well I was at least right about Alvarez beating Mosley and Mayweather beating Cotto. So 2 for 3 so far. I heard the Mayweather fight was at least good. I will try and watch it during the week. I heard even though Mayweather deserved to win, that it was pretty close.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:43 pm 

Mayweather took it cleanly. catch it when you can.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:38 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I watched it a few days before HBO reran it. Great fight, Mayweather's biggest test in years. I still have to watch the Mosley/Alvarez undercard fight. I read Mosley is starting to finally look old. So many of these guys stick around too long: Mosley, Holyfield, Roy Jones, now Hopkins after his last fight, it's kind of sad because we don't want to remember and see these greats when they're way past their prime like this. It's like watching your parents or a close older relative getting old and they start to break down slowly.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:56 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Okay so great Mayweather/Cotto fight and a pretty good Alvarez/Mosley fight. Pretty good 6th round TKO too with Carlos Quintana over Deandre Latimore as part of the televised main card as well. Mosley looked old and needs to retire though. He just doesn't have the reflexes anymore. Mosley, Holyfield, Jones and Hopkins are done. Jones and Hopkins will probably fight a few more times for some big paydays, Mosley and Holyfield are shot. Holyfield has been for at least 10 years, to be honest. So I'm 1 for 2 so far. Hopkins got beat soundly for a 12 round UD loss against Chad Dawson, but Mayweather also won a unanimous decision over Cotto. Now it's onto Paquiao/Bradley and Berto/Ortiz 2 in June.

It seems like once Mayweather and Pacquiao retire, there will be very few, if any boxers left that can sell a PPV fight and get a decent buyrate. Miguel Cotto maybe, nobody else I can think of currently. Man, boxing is kind of screwed once those guys are gone and they seem a couple of years away from retirement, whether they ever fight each other or not.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:15 pm 

Boxing is a recovering sport. The predators picked the meat off it by the early 90s leaving the exposed skeleton. Fighters who remembered the glory days tried to bring it back from the edge but were only able to keep it from tipping completely over. Boxing is at a holding pattern waiting to rebuild itself but having to let the old wounds scar over takes time. Waiting for the carrion promoters to scurry away has been slow but is occurring. When people start to remember the Leonard, Ali, Frasier, Hearns, etc they'll want to relieve a little of that magic - again. The exploited pay per view system will have been replaced by the accustomed dedicated subscription satellite/cable or internet channel.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:42 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah it would be nice if it were on more basic cable or even major networks, like it used to be. I hope pay per view is replaced, because after Mayweather and Pacquiao are gone, I really don't see too many people shelling out 40-50 bucks for a boxing card. What's a carrion? Is that a scavenger, like a vulture? Kind of like that Tales From The Crypt episode Carrion Death? So you're saying the newer promoters are better and less corrupt? The main thing I don't like is that Ring magazine is owned by Golden Boy Promotions. That should be considered some kind of conflict of interest. The Ring title belts these days are supposed to be the fighters considered the best and the REAL champions in each weight class, so as to avoid a lot of the confusion from all these corrupt alphabet governing bodies and their title belts. I'm not sure if that will happen with The Ring now with its current ownership. They seem to want to be less strict so there aren't as many vacant Ring title belts. Maybe if the top 2 contenders fought each other more often these days, we wouldn't have vacant Ring belts.

Did you watch Mosley/Alvarez and any recent Cotto fights? I was finally able to watch Cotto vs. Mayorga and the Margharito rematch, both great fights IMO.

There was a good point made recently by Teddy Atlas on Friday Night Fights, which doesn't seem to be airing much lately. They had Andre Ward doing guest commentary and Atlas said with Ward being a 2004 Olympic gold medalist, if this were years ago, he would be a lot more famous and Ward would be getting a lot more TV coverage. People don't seem to care about boxing as much, even in the summer Olympics and that kind of saddens me. Remember the earlier Olympic classes, with guys like Ray Leonard, Holyfield, Foreman, De La Hoya and Mayweather? Where's that kind of exposure? And Americans used to dominate boxing in the Olympics and they haven't had a gold medalist since Ward in 2004. Very sad IMO.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Wow, just heard a lot of crappy boxing news. Pretty much other than Mayweather/Cotto and the upcoming Pacquiao/Bradley, the year for boxing has had a rough first half to say the least. Berto/Ortiz 2 was cancelled after Berto tested positive for steroids. Ortiz was STILL willing to go through with the fight, which was pretty cool. Khan/Peterson 2 was cancelled because Peterson tested with high testosterone levels, Gamboa/Rios got cancelled after Yuriorkis Gamboa no showed some press conferences and showed up at the Mayweather camp to workout and try and sign with Leonard Ellerbee, Mayweather's promoter. Only problem is Gamboa is still under contract with Bob Arum and Top Rank. And a fourth fight was cancelled, a pay per view one, Williams/Alvarez after Paul Williams got into a motorcycle accident and ended up paralyzed from the waist down. I remember him mentioning on HBO he was looking for one more big payday before retiring and that fight would've given it to him. Johnny Tapia was found dead in his Albuquerque home at the age of 45. He was semi-retired at the time, still fighting occasionally. Foul Play is not suspected. Cause of death is unknown as autopsy results have not yet been revealed.

On the up side, Andre Ward signed his next fight vs. Chad Dawson. That should be a good one.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:48 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Ward/Dawson and now Amir Khan vs. Danny Garcia I'm really looking forward to. I think this will be Garcia's first loss.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 pm 

So, what do you think about the Bradley Jr. vs Pacquiao fight?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:17 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Was looking forward to it. From what I'm reading in posts on the boxing scene message boards and on Twitter, it sounds like fans feel Pacquiao was robbed and should've got the decision. I hope to either watch the HBO replay or my DVD copy of it when I get it in the mail by the end of the month. The funny thing was Bradley was so confident he'd win that he was already making posters for a fall rematch that said Pacquiao/Bradley 2 on them. His prediction turned out to be spot on, because it looks like there will probably be a rematch now.

It's just too bad there aren't enough big pay per view fights anymore. After Mayweather and Pacquiao are gone, boxing will be kind of screwed for a while. I miss the days of major network coverage on weekends and there being several, sometimes 5-10 big fights a year, either on national TV or HBO. Now, in the US, for most people the attitude is pretty much who gives a crap, when it comes to pro boxing. They don't even talk about any top prospects coming out of the amateurs, like in the Golden Gloves or from the Summer Olympics anymore. If this were 20 years ago, with a gold medalist like Andre Ward, he'd be all over ABC, maybe even NBC, like guys like Pernell Whitaker, Evander Holyfield and Oscar De La Hoya were in the past and, of course, Sugar Ray Leonard. It's almost like everybody stopped caring at the same time overnight. Too many alphabet title belts too. Because of this stuff, I find myself following very few boxers anymore, except on HBO or ESPN 2 sometimes.

At least I still have my boxing career sets to watch and MMA fights on the horizon.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:11 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So what did you think about the Pacquiao/Bradley fight, Dr. Moreau? Was it as big a robbery as everyone says it is? They addressed again on Jim Lampley's show The Fight Game and also overall judging and corruption in the sport. He said fans should make their voices known and make complaints and boycott. I agree. That's why I watch very little modern boxing now. I only care about someone if they get knockouts or if they are lineal or Ring champions, the only titles that matter, or preferably both (real champions that get a lot of knockouts).

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:30 pm 

Pacquiao was the better boxer - both physically and scientifically. Just another "money grab" rematch making decision that yet again lessens the sport from a true sport to Entertainment Cash Generator.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:58 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Okay, that's what I thought. Believe it or not, there are rumors also of a 4th Pacquiao/Marqez fight. I hope Pacquiao/Bradley 2 happens instead. At least this would give more time for Mayweather to train when he leaves prison. It also sounds like Bob Arum is making negotiations difficult for Mayweather/Pacquiao. Not sure if that's true, or how true that is.

Oh yeah and Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson should be a great fight.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:27 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Amir Khan vs. Danny Garcia this weekend. Should be a war. I see either a decision for Khan or maybe a late stoppage. I'm leaning towards unanimous decision though.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:01 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Disc didn't work, so will get a new one and watch the Pacquiao fight by next weekend.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:15 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

In the meantime, I watched Amir Khan get taken out by Danny Garcia to bring Garcia's record to 24-0 with 15 knockouts. Khan got TAGGED. Anybody see it? HBO will probably replay it and I think these are on demand as well. Youtube usually gets these eventually too. I don't think anyone was picking Garcia. Now it's onto Ward/Dawson and Chavez vs. Martinez in September. Chavez/Martinez will be for the legit Ring middleweight title, should be a good one.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Good fights coming up. Also, Michael Dokes, former WBA Heavyweight Champion, has died at 54 of cancer. Very sad and young.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:48 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Sergio Martinez beats Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. by unanimous decision. Pacquiao, instead of a Bradley rematch, is set to fight a 4th fight with Juan Manuel Marquez December 8.