Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:15 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Looks like Mike Alvarado lost on an early stoppage last night, giving him his first loss. Brandon Rios stays unbeaten with the TKO and Nonito Donaire picks up another win at super bantamweight to become the Ring magazine champion in that weight class, now making him the true, lineal title holder there.

Forget about all the crap alphabet belts, the Ring belt is where it's at. That's how you know who the real champion is. That or whoever beats the most major contenders or whoever has more of the major belts.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

DAMN, Manny Pacquiao got KTFO.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:27 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Brutal knockouts the past 2 weeks by both Juan Manuel Marquez and Nonito Donaire, both at 2:59, for Marquez in the 6th and for Donaire in the 3rd round.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:03 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Bernard Hopkins wins another title, this time at 48. Very good Tim Bradley fight last week too. Looking forward to the next Mayweather fight in May.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Saw Tyson Fury boxing on NBC a few weeks back. I hadn't seen boxing on a major network in years, had childhood flashbacks. Great stuff, I hope more major networks get involved with boxing again.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:50 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Mayweather fights tonight, so we have our 1, maybe 2 fights a year that the general public actually cares about and bothers to watch. He's supposed to fight 5 more times in 2 years, according to his contract with Showtime. Since Floyd doesn't fight that often these days, sounds like he'll have to pick up the pace or just retire in a year or two.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:49 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

And Floyd Mayweather predictably wins another unanimous decision. It seems this guy has pretty much been cherry picking somewhere when he made it up to 140. At this stage, he'll probably take the fights he knows he can win and retire undefeated.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'm personally looking forward to these fights:

September-Mayweather/Alvarez
October-Cotto/Rodriguez
December-Pacquiao/Rios and Tua/Alexander Ustinov, love Tua, hard hitting heavyweight.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Mayweather wins a majority decision over Saul "Canelo" Alvarez to become only the second boxer to win a 4th lineal title (after Pacquiao). Hell of an accomplishment.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:44 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

And what a shock, another controversial decision two weeks after the Mayweather fight. Another reason the general public doesn't give a crap about this sport in the US. I just knew Chavez Jr. would somehow escape with that decision.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:01 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Miguel Cotto back to his old self this weekend with a good TKO win in the 3rd round over Delvin Rodriguez. Where were those body shots the last 2 fights?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:45 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Vitali Klitschko retires. I like the Klitschkos, a lot of fans find them dull, but I like their fights. Now Wladimir is left to try and unify the heavyweight title. Hopefully he will, probably only has a couple to maybe few good years left before he retires as well. Sergey Kovalev looks like a strong contender at light heavy and Mikey Garcia, with a win over the weekend, looks for either a Pacquiao or Gamboa fight. Either one would be pretty exciting and action packed, so I hope one happens, preferably the Gamboa one. Kovalev might get a fight with Pascal or possibly Adonis Stevenson. Some good fights coming up this year. Mayweather has 4 fights left on his Showtime contract, so he'll probably retire sometime in 2015. Good fighters, but no marquee names, the sport is screwed in terms of being able to sell main events on PPV.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Pacquiao wins the rematch with Tim Bradley to regain the welterweight title. And some people thought he was done. Not yet. Great win for Kovalvev a few weeks back too as he's been smashing through the light heavyweight division lately. If he keeps this up, he'll probably send Hopkins into retirement.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:17 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

i did like boxing...then mike tyson came along and ruined it for me.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:04 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

HAHA funny you mention that, since that got a lot of people into the sport. Like me, he was one of the big stars when I was growing up in the '80s, although Mike McCallum vs. Donald Curry and Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Marvin Hagler were the first fights I watched.

Wow, since my last post on here, Mayweather finally fought and beat Pacquiao. Too bad it was about 5 years after it should have happened, just like with Leonard finally fighting Hagler in 1987, even though that fight had been talked about since 1982. I know Leonard had the eye surgery, but it would have been more impressive if he took the fight in 1984, after he came back to fight Kevin Howard, maybe took a couple of more warm up fights to get the rust out. It could have happened by 1985, but instead Leonard opted to invite Hagler to an event where he instead announced another retirement. Kind of a jerk move, but still great fighter. At least he has great wins, Mayweather only has good to really good ones.

At least Segey Kovalev, Gennady Golovkin, Andre Ward, Deontay Wilder and Keith Thurman prove that there are still a few guys left in this sport that have some balls, by fighting the best out there in their weight class and don't play all these BS games.