Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Here is how our fantasy football league members stand after week 5...............

TZDZ Minions..... 5-0-0
R&R Razorblades..... 3-1-1
RaIdEr NaTiOn..... 3-1-1
The Dark Horse..... 3-2-0
Derelicts..... 3-2-0
Brooklyn Crackbabies..... 2-3-0
Spittin' Whits..... 2-3-0
rebels..... 1-4-0
DrMoreau's Lawgivers..... 1-4-0
DC HeadHunters..... 1-4-0

WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS -
The DC Headhunters lost to the Spittin' Whits 90-94. The main thing noteworthy about this one, is apparently SVB didn't have access to the computer this week, and essentially played minus one RB and one QB also. These players were hurt,(Cutler & Portis) and it ended up being close enough where had he played a fill in player in even one slot or the other, he would have won.
RaiderNation snapped off the Crackbabies 112-81. RaiderNation was helped by solid performances from several of his team, including 27 by Ray Rice, which is the types of numbers Rice owners have been looking for this season, but hadn't gotten yet.
The R&R Razorblades beat the Derelicts by a score of 98-66. The Blades hit their projections, but the Derelicts was hampered by pathetic performances by Ryan Torain, Dallas Clark,SD Defense,Austin Collie and Matt Schaub. This group combined for a total of 18 points. 5 players combining for that meager number makes it tough to win games.
Lazy's Dark Horse beat DrM's Lawgivers 99-83. DrM's RB troubles continue, as they combined for 9 points. The cancer known as Drew Brees actually showed some fantasy spark this week for him though, getting 17 points. Brees has been rather slow this season compared to the last few seasons,and it might be turning around. This would help DrM , as his Lawgivers have generally been underperforming across the board, and could use some fire. Brees needs to start picking up the pace if DrM still wants to have a chance at the playoffs.
My Minions beat the rebels 82-67. We both had bad weeks really, but mine was the lesser of 2 bad ones. I had an injury (Mark Clayton), and Pierre Thomas didn't start for him again, and BOTH got our respective teams NADA.Image

INJURY REPORT -
Aaron Rodgers suffered a concussion, which will hurt Lazy's Dark Horse team. Rodgers is arguably the best fantasy QB to have on your squad now, although he didn't exactly show it this week.
This will be a blow to Lazy, but there is always a QB in the FA pool that will suffice in a pinch. Its just a matter of temporary value. Note-Rodgers should return next week, if not this week.
Jermichael Finley will also be out 3 weeks or so with a hamstring injury, affecting the Spittin' Whits at TE.
Mark Clayton, a solid receiver for the Rams who was having a good fantasy season, is now out until next year. This will strain me a bit at WR, but I picked up Brandon Tate who is taking the place (if thats possible) of Randy Moss in NE, after his trade this week. Tate has some tremendous upside, and the Pats have faith in him, so I think he should fill in nicely, and may turn out better than expected.

Image MATCHUP TO WATCH Image
I am going with my match with Lazy. This is our only regular season matchup this year people.
Me sitting on 5-0 probably has him chomping at the bit to try and knock me off of my streak in our only game of the year. :dance:
I look for him to throw everything but the kitchen sink at me, and possibly make a bold move at QB, in an effort to get some additional points, in the event that Rodgers doesn't start, or isn't 100%. A win in this game would also keep Lazy near the top, and that much closer to another successful fantasy season and yet another good chance at the playoffs.
(err, do I even need to mention the personal satisfaction he would get, by beating me and keeping my streak from getting bigger ;) )

Image HERSHEY SQUIRTS AWARD Image
I am going to have to dole this one to SVB and his DC Headhunters. If only he had made one change at RB or QB, he most likely would have won his match against the Spittin' Whits which he lost by a measly 4 points. Had he subbed insomeone at both empty spots, he would have been a shoo-in to win. Perhaps he was unable to get online, or didn't have access to a computer. Either way, this surely robbed him of a much needed win, and would have put him at 2-3.

OTHER RANDOM RAMBLINGS-
Note that my "Lock of the week" last week, turned out to be exactly that, a dead lock.
There are alot of close, interesting matches this week, so I don't really have a "lock" in that sense this go around.

We have 3 teams sitting on the bottom at 1-4...(The DC Headhunters, DrM's Lawgivers and the rebels) They are getting to a point where they need to piece together a couple of wins, in an effort to stay alive for the playoff picture. Its not impossible to still sneak in and win, but another couple of losses for any of these teams is going to make it damn tough for any of these to make the playoffs.
Note that this week the DC Headhunters are playing the rebels, which is in essence a good break for DrM. No matter what he does, one of the other teams will slip to 1-5.

Raider Nation is quietly putting together a decent fantasy season. He seems to be heading towards a good shot at the playoffs, and he has the talent to get there too. This looks to potentially be the best season he has ever had in our league thus far. Congrats......... :dance:
Nice pickup on Marcedes Lewis too dude. I was going to get him as a backup TE, but you beat me to it. Lewis playing an expanding role in the passing at Jacksonville makes him an attractive backup TE. (you nabbed him the same day I was going to get him)

On being 5-0............ There is one statistic you all should be seeing crystal clear, that has aided me greatly in going 5-0. I noticed it 2 weeks ago, and its still happening. That is the "points against". I have only had 332 fantasy points scored aginst me this season. This is noted right on the front of the yahoo page for or league. The nearest lowest total to that, is 404 against the rebels, and that is obviously 72 points more, which translates to 14 fantasy points per week less I have been having to overcome.
What am I trying to say???
Number 1-Basically, I have been a bit lucky, as several weeks my opponents have underperformed, and had injuries.
Number 2- I don't expect this trend to continue. The luck will run out and my games will be getting tougher, starting this week with my match against Lazy. :twisted:

Good luck to all this week!!

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:44 am 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

What's up? My brother told me about the rant during Week 4. I don't know if you checked out my bench, but if I added correctly (which math is not a strong subject of mine lol), they outscored his total as well...85-81. Ridiculous week for me.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:11 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Good to see ya again, PublicMenace69.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 pm 

Whit- I see you have posted a notice on the trading block wanting wide receivers, and are willing to trade a running back to get one or two.

I will be speaking with my buddy Ron tomorrow who captains the Rebels, and I will run it by him.
I think his RB situation is pretty bad, so I am sure he would be interested.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:13 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Whit- I see you have posted a notice on the trading block wanting wide receivers, and are willing to trade a running back to get one or two.

I will be speaking with my buddy Ron tomorrow who captains the Rebels, and I will run it by him.
I think his RB situation is pretty bad, so I am sure he would be interested.

TZ DZ Fan

Sounds good! I'm not happy with how things are going with my squad.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:56 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

Thanks DrMoreau. I forget to log on very easily and have been reminded quite a few by my brother lol. I'll try my best to be more active. Good luck this season.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:22 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Holy shite my brother makes an appearance. Excellent! Hope to see you post more dude.

Enjoying your rants TZ DZ. Keep up the good work.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 am 

whitsbrain wrote:
Sounds good! I'm not happy with how things are going with my squad.

Ok whit, I texted it to DrM, so maybe you heard by PM by now, but Ron "the rebels" captain wasn't interested in picking up a RB. (now if you can explain that to me,after looking at his pathetic RB situation, then maybe we would both know) I would certainly be trying to dump Ryan Matthews and pick up anyone, but apparently he thinks he will play a bigger role soon for San Diego............

Long story short- Ron won't part with any of his RBs.

Now DrM has had a tough time with his RB situation too, so he may be interested.

From the sounds of his text, it may be late tonight until he gets back and active online due to work.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Good enough, thanks. I'm loaded in the RB category so if someone's interested, make me an offer.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:24 am 

Oh, I'm interested, but my WRs aren't :sparkle: anything :sparkle: to get excited over.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:14 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
What a suprise.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:22 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Here is how our fantasy football league members stand after week 5...............

WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS -
The DC Headhunters lost to the Spittin' Whits 90-94. The main thing noteworthy about this one, is apparently SVB didn't have access to the computer this week, and essentially played minus one RB and one QB also. These players were hurt,(Cutler & Portis) and it ended up being close enough where had he played a fill in player in even one slot or the other, he would have won.

TZ DZ fan

Ill be looking to bounce back this week hopefully.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:30 am 

OK all, tomorrow the PTE-Gridiron League fires up again, and I can't wait to see some of these NFL games coming on.

Lazy - I am one hair away from making a "bold gamble", and making a switch at WR, to a player that much less is expected from. I see him as having a better day than one of my bigger names.

The thing is, our match is so damn close in projections (91 - 91) :dance: , I am almost afraid to gamble in this scenario. It has a fair chance of being a key factor in determining the outcome of our match, all other things considered.

Not sure what I am going to do on that actually...........Guess you are going to have to wait until tomorrow to see if I decide to actually pull the trigger. :twisted:

Good luck to all tomorrow!

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:35 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I here ya. I am in the same boat with one or two of my current position players. I will most likely keep my roster intact but I'm still kicking around a couple ideas. It will be a very good matchup.

Hershey squirts should go directly to Ron's Rebels just for picking up Portis and VJax already when neither will play for at least another 2-4 weeks.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:15 am 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I here ya. I am in the same boat with one or two of my current position players. I will most likely keep my roster intact but I'm still kicking around a couple ideas. It will be a very good matchup.

Hershey squirts should go directly to Ron's Rebels just for picking up Portis and VJax already when neither will play for at least another 2-4 weeks.

I agree about his pickups being odd.
But I know why he went for Portis........ His RB situation has been so bad the last few weeks, he is looking for a decent way out if neccessary later. Portis will do a decent enough job for him if needed in a bad scenario down the road.
Rebels RB problems so far = Reggie Bush-OUT/injured, Tashard Choice-garbage,Darren Sproles- was supposed to be a bigger participant for SD and ultimately a big bust,Ryan Matthews-injured for weeks, Pierre Thomas - injuries and more lost time. One Sunday, Ron/rebels gambled and left Thomas in, and he didn't play at the last minute.
In case you haven't noticed, I am top heavy with premiere RBs.(this season a couple are doing unexpectedly well, like Peyton Hillis)A lesser of a surprise to me is Arian Foster, I mentioned several times around town here that he was going to be unbelieveable. You may remember I mentioned late in the draft that a sleeper had went unnoticed, and I ultimately picked him up in the 10th round. (easily the steal of the year in my mind) I knew from reading a bit online about him, that the Texans were very high on him, and were thinking of slightly gearing their offense around him, they expected that much.
Many of the solid RBs go very quickly as in all leagues, and it has left the pickings very slim seeing as some of us have all the big names, and a few of us are benching normal mandatory starters in some cases. Run a search for all available RBs in the FA pool, its a sad joke.
I mentioned to Ron yesterday on the phone, that he has little to no choice on RBs, with Brandon Jackson, or maybe a newly moved Marshawn Lynch as his pick of the litter. Apparently,he decided to go with Jackson, which is what I would have done, as he seems to be picking up a bit after last week.

Why he didn't make an offer to whit for Frank Gore or LT is beyond me.

I think alsunday/Derelicts did though, but I have seen nothing regarding that yet, so either whit didn't accept, or somehow he didn't get the offer from Derelicts concerning Frank Gore.

On that note- If I was Ron/rebels, I would have shit-canned Dez Bryant and kept Johnny Knox too. Knox looks like a top 5-10 WR in the future to me, and this year he should definitely see more targets and get some scores as the season progresses.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:05 pm 

When your team plays like shite, they get shite results.

And thats how many of my players played..... shite, so Lazy nudged me by a few.

That opens the door and helps a few of the teams that have had 1 or few wins and still gives them a small chance at the playoffs now.

Speaking of that, if Maurice Jones-Drew is kept very quiet tonight, DrM can squeak out a win this week also, lifting him out of the bottom!
I think late in the 1st quarter now MJD has been held to zero fantasy points thusfar.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:29 pm 

Held and shut down - woot!

I'm up 2 now.