Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:35 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Wanted to get some thoughts and some projected changes in baseball.

2013 Astros move to AL West. I don't mind this much. Now the leagues will be even (never understood why National League Team had more teams). It will be weird at first but I got used to it when Brewers went from American League to National League.

Adding another wild card team to each league and the 2 wild card teams play a 1 game playoff to stay in playoffs. I'm not particularly fond of this move. I understand it gives you the NFL playoff feel with the win or go home mentality but if you are the wild card team with better record and you get knocked off then you will be pissed because without this new change you would be playing a best of 5 series.

More interleague play. Heard there will be more interleague play throughout the schedule. I hate this simply because I feel interleague play excitement had dwindled over the years. I don't get excited anymore for the Subway Series or any other series for that matter. I liked how you just played National League in the WS if you made it. Now to add games to schedule makes no sense, there will be less division rival games like Yanks/Bosox/Rays Braves/Phillies/Mets, etc.

Not sure what Selig is thinking on some of these moves. What do you all think?

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:52 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Moving Houston to the AL will be just plain weird. Though I get it that they can make a decent rivalry between Texas and Houston now by doing this - still will be strange. Definitely like that it will be 15 teams in each league rather than 16-14 (just dumb).

I'm not a fan of having another wild card team. I think it will make it more exciting, especially for the extra teams that make it; fans of those teams will be excited. It will be good for the business of baseball, but honestly, where's the notion of earning the right to playoffs? Adding more teams to playoffs is like the BCS bowl games -- dilutes the weight of postseason.

More interleague play? I'm indifferent about it. Don't care either way I guess. The appeal has definitely faded, but there's some novelty to watching some of the odd matchups, like NYY playing teams like Milwaukee or Pittsburgh.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:31 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
One game playoff wild card series? eh....I suppose. Give a few more teams hope to reach the World Series...whats the harm.

More Interleague games....sounds good...as long as teams dont end up playing EVERY team in a season. Its fun to see a matchup between AL and NL that hasnt taken place in more then a decade....it DEF makes for funner exciting new games and intriguing matchups.

Id like to see the Orioles move out of the AL East, other then that, who gives a flying f@%k out about the new changes. Except maybe the AL can beat on Houston a little bit since they seem to be shitty now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:10 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
Keep the one team wildcard playoff. Don't turn MLB into NBA. Houston can move or it can stay I don't care really. Interleague play is good if it's not overdone. And rotate interleague play such as playing East, West then Central of the opposing league in each succesive years. If an American League team visits a National League team give the home team the option of using DH. And vice versa for National League visiting American League team. I would also like to see a rule change where a player who's been removed from the line up can re-enter one time! I think it would allow for the poorer teams to have a chance against the deep pockets. It would also allow you to make more out of your 25 man roster and allow for more playing time for the guys waiting in the wings.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:48 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Never a fan or the whole interleague play to begin with. That's what the world series is for. Keep the national league playing National League and American playing American. I hate it when we have the freeway series where the Dodgers play the Angels or The Padres play the Angels - who cares.

Extra Wild Card - that's bullshit. It's called the wild card for a reason. Having dueling potential wild cards is call regular season play - :wtf:

Astros to the AL - why? The Rangers are AL the Astros are NL - that just makes sense. Add an expansion team - New Orleans needs a ball club.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:57 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Moving Houston to the AL will be just plain weird. Though I get it that they can make a decent rivalry between Texas and Houston now by doing this - still will be strange. Definitely like that it will be 15 teams in each league rather than 16-14 (just dumb).

I'm not a fan of having another wild card team. I think it will make it more exciting, especially for the extra teams that make it; fans of those teams will be excited. It will be good for the business of baseball, but honestly, where's the notion of earning the right to playoffs? Adding more teams to playoffs is like the BCS bowl games -- dilutes the weight of postseason.

More interleague play? I'm indifferent about it. Don't care either way I guess. The appeal has definitely faded, but there's some novelty to watching some of the odd matchups, like NYY playing teams like Milwaukee or Pittsburgh.

Agreed entirely.