Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AJ Burnett
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:12 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Anyone have any thoughts on the Yankees finally possibly getting rid of tha bum Burnett. I say do anything you have to make sure he isn't at camp when pitchers and catchers arrive. Not that he is a nasty individual, but it would just be best. Let's be honest if he doesn't win last spot in rotation, Yankees aren't gonna put him in pen...leading up to Mo is set and no way you pay him all that money to be a long man. I honestly hope Phil Hughes wins the 5th spot.

I hear Pitssburgh is most likely destination (we have a track record of trading with them), its just that they have to settle on the prospects the Pirates give up and the money the Yankees pay. If the Yankees pay $20 mil then Pit has to give up a half way decent prospect. I know it won't be Gerrit Cole but still.

I also hear the Angels and Indians are in talks as well. I don't see the Yankees trading him to either team. Angels are fully loaded this year and no way they want Burnett coming back to bite them in the ass..same with Cleveland since AL Central is always up for grabs. Pitt ain't going anywhere soon (although they do have a bright future with all those kids and played great baseball most of last year). I hear Angels would wanna move Abreu (I loved his time in NY and he would be great for DH but again don't see Yankees trading with them). Indians would want to move Hafner (would love to have him but age and injuries have caught up to him but still wouldn't be a bad gamble if your getting rid of Burnett, plus maybe they can keep him healthy as a DH).

I would personally love to see them get Vlad (he has said he would like to come here)...just concerned with all the strikeouts, plus I hear the Yankees want a lefthanded DH to split time with Andruw Jones.

Whats everyone's thoughts on this topic.

Post subject: Re: AJ Burnett
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
I think the Yankees have too much money and not enough brains. LOL

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:27 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
The only time the baltimore orioles seem to beat the yanks is when aj takes the mound. so im all for them keeping him. :) the guy is way to overrated by this point for them keep around..they may as well drop him. the guy has a good game every month at that. as far as vlad...you dont want him. he had his worst year with orioles last season...he will be average for you guys at best

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:32 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

StillValleyBard wrote:
The only time the baltimore orioles seem to beat the yanks is when aj takes the mound. so im all for them keeping him. :) the guy is way to overrated by this point for them keep around..they may as well drop him. the guy has a good game every month at that. as far as vlad...you dont want him. he had his worst year with orioles last season...he will be average for you guys at best

I hear you on AJ having a good game a month, if that lol. As for Guerrero I do hear you...his best days are behind him plus with the short porch in right he wouldn't really fit in with what they are looking for, a left-handed hitter to complement Andruw Jones..unless of course something bigger happens but I doubt it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I honestly think it wouldn't be terrible to have AJ as the 5th starter -- no pressure at the end of the rotation, might even succeed there. Keep Hughes in the rotation and put Garcia in the bullpen. However, if they really just want to dump some of the contract to open up cash for a DH, then do what they must, but don't just settle for anything.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:08 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I honestly think it wouldn't be terrible to have AJ as the 5th starter -- no pressure at the end of the rotation, might even succeed there. Keep Hughes in the rotation and put Garcia in the bullpen. However, if they really just want to dump some of the contract to open up cash for a DH, then do what they must, but don't just settle for anything.

Your forgetting one thing buddy. The other 4 starters are CC, Nova, Pineda and Kuroda. Burnett would be battling Hughes and Garcia for the 5th spot. Essentially they wouldn't have room for the 2 that lose the battle in the pen. I'm thinking this is a big reason why they are pushing to move burnett. I honestly believe Hughes gets the shot for 5th spot with Garcia (not really sure why they resigned him lol) to the pen as a long man. We shall see what happens. Heard Yanks were talking about a Burnett for Abreu swap but he invoked his no trade clause. Wouldn't have minded getting Abreu back but didn't see how the Yankees would send him to Angels who will prolly win the West and stand in the Yankees way playoff time.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:20 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Oh yeah, the logistics didn't quite work the way I thought.

Well no matter, Burnett is now a Pittsburgh Pirate. Yanks save some cash for a DH, which I heard would be Ibanez. I want to vomit! I would prefer Damon or Matsui over Ibanez. Not thrilled with that move at all. I also read they may re-sign Chavez, which I hope they do.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:09 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

lazyboyx51 wrote:

Well no matter, Burnett is now a Pittsburgh Pirate. Yanks save some cash for a DH, which I heard would be Ibanez. I want to vomit! I would prefer Damon or Matsui over Ibanez. Not thrilled with that move at all. I also read they may re-sign Chavez, which I hope they do.

Don't get me wrong I like Ibanez but he is old man. I wanted Damon or Matsui also who are also old but have gotten the job done in NY. I heard since neither is an option to possibly play OF if needed that is why they are going after Ibanez. The Yankees in general are old. There youngest starting hitters are gonna be 29(Martin and Gardner). They need to start getting a bit younger man and start preparing for the future. Rotation is still fairly young even if Hughes doesn't get 5th spot but if he does they have 3 starters under 25. We shall see what happens my man. Looking forward to the season starting.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:04 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

jcrm316 wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Don't get me wrong I like Ibanez but he is old man. I wanted Damon or Matsui also who are also old but have gotten the job done in NY. I heard since neither is an option to possibly play OF if needed that is why they are going after Ibanez. The Yankees in general are old. There youngest starting hitters are gonna be 29(Martin and Gardner). They need to start getting a bit younger man and start preparing for the future. Rotation is still fairly young even if Hughes doesn't get 5th spot but if he does they have 3 starters under 25. We shall see what happens my man. Looking forward to the season starting.

Don't forget Cano -- he's still 29, but will be 30 in October. Yeah, well you know they like veterans for the 'got to win now' mentality. The team will never be dominated by youth. Also, did you know you and Grandy share a birthday? He's exactly one year older than you! You and Grandy have the same birthday; Melissa and Jeter have the same birthday -- I got nobody! :ROTF:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:05 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

lazyboyx51 wrote:
jcrm316 wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Don't forget Cano -- he's still 29, but will be 30 in October. Yeah, well you know they like veterans for the 'got to win now' mentality. The team will never be dominated by youth. Also, did you know you and Grandy share a birthday? He's exactly one year older than you! You and Grandy have the same birthday; Melissa and Jeter have the same birthday -- I got nobody! :ROTF:

Oh wow did not know that. Happy to share the day with the Grandy man.