Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:43 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Week 1 is in the books. Any thoughts bros???

WEEK 1 -
Jonathan's Misfits defeats AutoDraftMe 110-84
Derelicts defeats The Spittin' Whits 128-100
The Goon Squad defeats The DrM's Lawgivers 113-77
TZDZ Minions defeats R&R Razorblades 104-75
Death Ro defeats The Dark Horse 108-97

The closest of the week (until the final few minutes) was the Death Ro beating Lazy's Dark Horse.
AJ Green let him down a bit.

TZ DZ fan

I'm off to a great start but I gotta keep pushing my team. Last week is last week, gotta focus on this week.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:31 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Disappointing and some real upsets. And not just on the fantasy aspect.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Yes AJ Green let me down, but it was going to be a tall order no matter what because not only was Green facing Baltimore D, but Death Ro also had Ray Rice, which is one of the top RBs in the league. The real disappointment was Matthew Stafford's performance against St. Louis. If that SOB threw a couple more TDs, one at least to Megatron, we would be having a different conversation.

On a side note, a nice touch that Yahoo added not only league pick'ems as a "game within a game" but also a weekly recap on each game in the league.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Don't feel alone, Stafford helped to bury me in an ESPN league I'm in also.
On that team, I had these results that contributed to a loss.......

Stafford (not totally awful, but still disappointing ) 12 pts
Chris Johnson (yeah I know I got him again after last year and what he did to me) 4 points
Antonio Gates 4 pts
Rashad Jennings (injured, but now most likely no good for the season as MJD stepped up..... note he didn't even make it to halftime) 3 pts
Fred Jackson (injured,didn't make it to the second quarter I believe) 1 pt Now here is a case that may put a fork in him also even if he is healthy, Spiller did so well, Jackson may never get substantial time again because of his age.

I lost this match by 29 points.
Most likely I was destined to lose anyway, but too many weak points there.

I seem to be doomed in that particular league.
In that league, we start only 2 receivers, 2 rbs and a FLEX. I had Rashad Jennings at flex.
I am down to 1 rb, and I have on my bench Donald Brown (who I'm playing), Peyton Hillis (who I most likely will too, even though I don't want to) and Evan Royster.
I may stick in Darrius Hayward Bey in at flex, depends on what it looks like for Hillis.
NOTE - This is a 12 team league, and there is no rb talent left anywhere. The free agents are basically picked over, with most all 2nd string guys, and some 3rd's gone already. As bad as I have it, there are a few teams that are even worse off.
I know of 2 teams that have NO backups. Once the injuries start during the season, they are truly screwed.

I had never entered a 12 man league, and trust me the pickings are slim once you hit the 9th round or so in the draft.
On that note, I have a friend locally that is in a 16 team league. :dance:
I think thats a bit too much, and don't know if I could stomach that.
Basically he said the ones who take late flyers and steal a great season rb out of the pile are the ones that contend for the league title there. Often with 3rd stringers winning the championship for them.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:32 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Mean
I have Stafford in my 12 man ESPN league. I also have RG3 on the bench, well did week 1. I think I'm going to swap for week 2.

In the same league, I had AJ Green and Antonio Brown. Both starting and both did nothing. Trent Richardson as a RB and Torrey Smith at my flex. Needless to say, I did not win.

My star running back this week was Donald Brown from Indy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:34 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

In my ESPN league, I received a trade request for RG3. I also have Matt Stafford. He offered Shonn Greene, Bengals D, and LaMichael James. I turned this down. He came back today looking to get Matt Stafford instead; offering Shonne Greene, Mike Wallace and LaMichael James. I don't like this trade either.

But am considering trading Stafford if he will come off Marshawn Lynch and Dez Bryant (he has both of them on his bench). Do you think that RG3 will have the goods to take me through the season? or should I keep Stafford and deal RG3?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm 

alsunday wrote:
In my ESPN league, I received a trade request for RG3. I also have Matt Stafford. He offered Shonn Greene, Bengals D, and LaMichael James. I turned this down. He came back today looking to get Matt Stafford instead; offering Shonne Greene, Mike Wallace and LaMichael James. I don't like this trade either.

But am considering trading Stafford if he will come off Marshawn Lynch and Dez Bryant (he has both of them on his bench). Do you think that RG3 will have the goods to take me through the season? or should I keep Stafford and deal RG3?

In my ESPN league, I received a trade request for RG3. I also have Matt Stafford. He offered Shonn Greene, Bengals D, and LaMichael James. -
Bengals D is waiver wire material, and the only way this is even close is if you have a completely empty spot at rb. And I mean completely empty. No matter the situation, James will likely get you no action.

But am considering trading Stafford if he will come off Marshawn Lynch and Dez Bryant (he has both of them on his bench). -
Your rb situation is most likely dire if you keep mentioning these trades, but you didn't say who you have.
Either way, this deal ^^ is stealing, and I don't know why someone else would go for this unless he is incredibly stacked at rb and wr, and needs a top QB.
Need to know your team and bench really to say.(start 2 rbs, 2 or 3 wrs? flex or no? etc)

TZM

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:59 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

2 rbs, 2 wr, wr/rb flex.

I have: RB: Richardson, Donald Brown, Alfred Morris, Peyton Hillis (just picked Morris off the wire) WR: Steve Smith, Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas, Greg Little, Torrey Smith, Justin Blackmon, Hill (jets, waiver pick up) QB: RG3, Stafford TE: Jimmy Graham K: Cundiff

The big question is, do you think RG3 will be the better play through the season than Stafford, where I should even consider trading stafford.

eta: forgot steve smith in my WR list

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:37 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Tough call. We know Stafford's capability, though he's only had one full healthy season. RG3 is still unknown, but his talent is there, as we saw last week. I honestly don't think you could go wrong either way - it would all depend on who you get in return. I think you are ok at RB (unless a top 10 RB is involved in the trade), but I'd look to upgrade WR due to the lack of veteran definitive scorers (I like all those WRs but they're all still young enough that there's more upside than definitive weekly starter status).

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:39 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

I had never entered a 12 man league, and trust me the pickings are slim once you hit the 9th round or so in the draft.
On that note, I have a friend locally that is in a 16 team league. :dance:
I think thats a bit too much, and don't know if I could stomach that.
Basically he said the ones who take late flyers and steal a great season rb out of the pile are the ones that contend for the league title there. Often with 3rd stringers winning the championship for them.

TZ DZ Fan

I've done football with 12 teams (way back before I played for money), and I wasn't a fan because it can be worn thin, so 16 teams is an abomination. My intern is in 2 leagues just as you've described (12 teams, 16 teams). It's awful, particularly the 16-team league. I much prefer a 10-team league (at least for football; fantasy baseball can get away with 12 teams but it's difficult finding that many people to participate due to the length of the season).

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:59 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Unless your getting a top 5 running back or WR I wouldn't trade Stafford. I mean yeah RG3 played well but you can't guarantee he keeps this up (he plays for the Redskins after all where careers go down the tube). Stafford although injury prone and a bad first week still has the better upside in my opinion with Megatron to throw to. I mean if you want to wait a few weeks to see if RG3 keeps it up then I'd do that. In my honest opinion though I'd try to trade RG3 at the right time (trust me someone will overpay for him) I doubt he will put up over 4,000 yards and over 30tds in his first season...you can bank on Stafford doing that if he remains healthy. Keep us posted on what you decide to do if anything.

alsunday wrote:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:23 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
In my apartment tomorrow, at 1 p.m. eastern the NFL REDZONE will be broadcast all the way until the afternoon games are done.

No commercials, no interruptions other than calls to the bookie and checking fantasy football.
There will be plenty of food.

Not a single f@%k will be given about anything else in the world.
I CAN'T WAIT!

TZ DZ fan

Snooki and the NFL...You are a man with his priorities in order. ;)

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:06 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Thank goodness Green Bay Defense got me 19 points because Rodgers (of course the year I get him) had a bad game gaining me only 12 points...I got 5 from my kicker which is ok. I think I definitely left the door open slightly for Spitting Wits to make a battle of it Sunday. May the best man win, good luck.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:54 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

jcrm316 wrote:
Thank goodness Green Bay Defense got me 19 points because Rodgers (of course the year I get him) had a bad game gaining me only 12 points...I got 5 from my kicker which is ok. I think I definitely left the door open slightly for Spitting Wits to make a battle of it Sunday. May the best man win, good luck.

Nice game from the Packers D. 7 sacks!?! I wouldn't have thought that was possible from them. The Bears are overrated...again.

Good luck to you, too. My RBs suck.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:50 am 

whitsbrain wrote:
Nice game from the Packers D. 7 sacks!?! I wouldn't have thought that was possible from them. The Bears are overrated...again.

Good luck to you, too. My RBs suck.

You need a serious boost at RB???

I will trade you Michael Vick (or Flacco) AND Kevin Smith for Tom Brady.
Gives you a much needed boost at RB, and a decent backup QB. (seeing as he is an instant starter,you can just start RGIII anyway)

Should help both squads.
If you wanted Vick/Donald Brown, I may be interested. Brown is a good one to have too, as no real competition in INDY.
Have a look, we can work something out.
See if you can come with some type of counter offer if that doesn't interest you.

I don't see parting with LeSean McCoy though, I just can't envision a scenario where that would fly.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:33 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'm going to go a bit until I see if I get anything out of Ryan Matthews.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 am 

Good luck today fellas. :dance:

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Got my ass handed to me today...nice win Spittin Whits. On top of it it looks like I'll lose Bradshaw for this week (they play Thursday night) neck injuries are hard to predict. Hoping to start building momentum starting next week.

On another note injuries are starting already, Bradshaw, Forte, Aaron Hernandez, not sure if I missed anyone else today.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:21 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Fred Jackson

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:26 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I meant just for this week but yes Fred Jackson started it all lol. On that note he ain't getting his job back with the way Spiller has been playing.
alsunday wrote:
Fred Jackson

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:48 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Not that it applies to this league but Brian Orakpo is out for the year with a torn pectoral. Tough loss for the up and coming Redskins. Though as a Giants division rival, sounds like good news. We can't have Washington being competitive too. (Well, RG3 is still going....)

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 am 

Michael Turner DUI -

ATLANTA (AP) -- Atlanta Falcons running back Michael Turner was jailed on charges of drunken driving and speeding early Tuesday, just hours after he scored a touchdown in the team's win over the Denver Broncos.

Turner, 30, of Suwanee, Ga., was booked into the Gwinnett County jail in metro Atlanta just after 5 a.m. Turner spent barely two hours behind bars before he was released on $2,179 bond, jail records show.

A Gwinnett County police officer pulled over Turner's black Audi R8 on Interstate 85 northeast of Atlanta after clocking the car's speed at 97 mph - 32 mph over the speed limit, said Cpl. Edwin Ritter, a police spokesman.

''The officer made contact with the driver who identified himself as 30-year-old Michael Turner of the Atlanta Falcons,'' Ritter said in a news release. ''The officer could smell an odor of alcoholic beverage coming from the driver and proceeded to conduct a DUI investigation.''

No other details were immediately available.

Hours before his arrest, Turner and the Falcons celebrated a 27-21 home victory over Payton Manning and the Denver Broncos.

Turner scored the Falcons' first touchdown after jumping over a pileup of Atlanta and Denver linemen in the first quarter. It was Turner's 51st touchdown for the Falcons, a team he joined in 2008 after four seasons with the San Diego Chargers. Last year, Turner rushed for 1,340 yards and 11 touchdowns.

-------------------------------------------------------------

His career was pretty much over, and several "in the know" knew he wouldn't be a big factor for ATL this year.
But if he had any fire left, this just may have put the last bit of it out.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:32 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Michael Turner DUI -

ATLANTA (AP) -- Atlanta Falcons running back Michael Turner was jailed on charges of drunken driving and speeding early Tuesday, just hours after he scored a touchdown in the team's win over the Denver Broncos.

Turner, 30, of Suwanee, Ga., was booked into the Gwinnett County jail in metro Atlanta just after 5 a.m. Turner spent barely two hours behind bars before he was released on $2,179 bond, jail records show.

A Gwinnett County police officer pulled over Turner's black Audi R8 on Interstate 85 northeast of Atlanta after clocking the car's speed at 97 mph - 32 mph over the speed limit, said Cpl. Edwin Ritter, a police spokesman.

''The officer made contact with the driver who identified himself as 30-year-old Michael Turner of the Atlanta Falcons,'' Ritter said in a news release. ''The officer could smell an odor of alcoholic beverage coming from the driver and proceeded to conduct a DUI investigation.''

No other details were immediately available.

Hours before his arrest, Turner and the Falcons celebrated a 27-21 home victory over Payton Manning and the Denver Broncos.

Turner scored the Falcons' first touchdown after jumping over a pileup of Atlanta and Denver linemen in the first quarter. It was Turner's 51st touchdown for the Falcons, a team he joined in 2008 after four seasons with the San Diego Chargers. Last year, Turner rushed for 1,340 yards and 11 touchdowns.

-------------------------------------------------------------

His career was pretty much over, and several "in the know" knew he wouldn't be a big factor for ATL this year.
But if he had any fire left, this just may have put the last bit of it out.

TZ DZ Fan

Very stupid of him. So does that mean Rodgers gets the nod?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:33 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I left a message on the league board, but I'll post one here too.

The winnings will be as follows: 1st place $150, 2nd place $50. If anyone does not like that idea and prefers one winner for the whole $200, post here and/or on the league board so I get an idea of who is for or against this. Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:12 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Very stupid of him. So does that mean Rodgers gets the nod?

I don't know so much that it means that Jacquizz "takes over" in that sense, but most likely it will end the ever diminishing role that Turner had.

I fully knew he was being phased out before the season even started, and wouldn't have drafted him unless I had zero backs.
Check out his numbers.
Sure, ATL is throwing a little more, but there is still some carries to be had. When you combine everything thats been going on, this should spell the end for the burner.

His best bet, would be seeking a trade where he can be a good addition to a team that needs his services for the rest of this season, and possibly some goal line work next season.
He would actually be the perfect fit in Miami. LOL.
(taking a little pressure off Reggie Bush, and would be a perfect way for Miami to blow some more money without getting some new real talent for the future)

QUICK NOTE-
I think paying 2 spots is the best way to go for this league. This league has always been about the "spirit of the league/intention of competition" anyway.
I will take the heat for the idea of paying two spots, I suggested it to Lazy preseason if I recall correctly.
Like him, I will go for anything really though and if everyone wants to play "winner takes all", then I'm good with that also.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:58 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I left a message on the league board, but I'll post one here too.

The winnings will be as follows: 1st place $150, 2nd place $50. If anyone does not like that idea and prefers one winner for the whole $200, post here and/or on the league board so I get an idea of who is for or against this. Thanks.

I think this is best.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:26 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'm fine with paying two spots.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:27 am 

This season sucks :P

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:10 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I don't think there was a close matchup this week..led by my lack of effort in losing to lazy 123-66 lol

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:55 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

jcrm316 wrote:
I don't think there was a close matchup this week..led by my lack of effort in losing to lazy 123-66 lol

It'll be closer since you still have Rodgers and GB D....

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:48 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

lazyboyx51 wrote:
jcrm316 wrote:

It'll be closer since you still have Rodgers and GB D....

Yeah but to be honest, it will be impossible to come back so if Rodgers is gonna have a big game I'd rather it be next week when I have a chance to win lol.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:54 am 

So many offensive powerhouses have been quieted this year, its a joke.
And of course, it affects fantasy (and sports betting) to a terrible degree.

This season should only get more interesting as the weeks go on, and the big offenses start producing again.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Not sure if anyone saw that last play in the packers/seahawks game last night. Wow the replacement refs sucks (Goodell needs to strike a deal with real refs). There is no way Tate came away with that ball in the endzone...Jennings clearly had it. Not sure how you blow a call like that especially with instant replay. These guys are blowing real games for teams. Wow that was terrible.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:43 pm 

The Replacement Refs suck

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

If this doesn't prompt the NFL to strike a deal with the refs then I dont' know what will. Then again Goodell is pretty stubborn so we might have to wait a while longer.
DrMoreau wrote:
The Replacement Refs suck

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Awful call. It's the talk of all sports and will be for the rest of the week....until they make some more terrible calls Week 4. Buffoons!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 pm 

Well whit, seems like our trade has stirred up a bit of dissention.

I chimed in there, but Lazy and the others may want to have a look at the league messageboard.
I seriously don't think its close to a veto issue.
But then again, I don't feel many trades are veto worthy personally.(possible collusion or outright player dumping are the only times they should be vetoed in my mind)

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:35 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Whatever. It's Fantasy Football. I've been in leagues for almost 20 years. It's boring unless you mix things up every now and then. I've never made a trade in this league before so it's interesting to see the (over)reaction.

I made an unpopular trade in a different league I was in last year. Everyone thought I blew it. I traded away Arian Foster for a couple of upper-middle level WRs. I made the playoffs. The guy who got Arian didn't.

Not sure how it's collusion when we paid $20. Nothing personal but I don't want you to win.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:57 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
Not sure how it's collusion when we paid $20. Nothing personal but I don't want you to win.

I know its not collusion, and the others do too.

Hey what a minute.......... what do you mean you don't want me to win?!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought everyone wanted me to win. :twisted:
LOL@ that trade uproar, when its easy to see it actually helped both teams starting units.
And that is what makes a good fantasy trade.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:57 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Yeah, saw the message board -- what're you gonna do? Can't please everyone. Honestly, I was about to veto the trade, but when I looked at it, it really didn't seem bad to me (at least not as bad as it's being made out to be). Majority of the time trades never go through and are vetoed. The rest of my crew are pretty much on top of things with trades so I'm sure it was clear from everyone else too (at least enough to allow it).

Not gonna lie -- I didn't want you, TZ DZ, to get Brady, especially so you can play him against me (bitch). However, I thought it was reasonable for Whit to upgrade his RB by letting Brady loose - what's the point of having two top QBs when you only use one most of the time. Mathews is overhyped and fragile. Lafell is Cam's new fav. target. Vick is a perfect backup QB. Seems ok to me.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:05 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I thought the trade was fair as well. On another note I'm not worried because the replacement refs pissed Rodgers off...so I'm expecting him to go off this weekend, and the man weekends after that..right up until I win this league. :bell:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Majority of the time trades never go through and are vetoed.

And this I don't agree with. (I think its true that most are vetoed, especially in this league)
But I think most trades SHOULD be allowed. Especially if both teams make apparent improvements. (even if one has obvious improvement and another is so-so or "gambling" on upside)

Its like this...........
Like right now you are 1-2 and theres a good chance you are about to go 1-3.
Do I think its fair to try and stop you from improving your team? No, and I am not interested in vetoing any trades you may be involved in either.
The only cases where I think trades should be vetoed are collusion or "player-dumping", neither of which are happening in this trade.

In fact, I am a firm believer in something I heard a guy say last year, and thats "If you aren't trading, you aren't TRYING".
For some reason though, its not done often in this league...... and I never quite understood why.
For what its worth, I tried a couple last season and was turned down.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:21 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

This is fun! Look at the hornet's nest I whacked.

I could have tried just trading Brady for Charles. TZDZ probably would have accepted. I didn't need to dump Matthews for Vick and LaFell, but I had Matthews on a team last year and he was a disappointment. I reluctantly drafted him this year and sure enough, he's already in the doghouse. He's scored 5 whole points in 3 games. Peyton Hillis redux. Heck, LaFell the bum has 20. Sure, Matthews has been injured...and that justifies him, how? It always makes me laugh when owners try to trade their kicker for Aaron Rodgers. You have to give up something to get something.

If anyone can say with complete clarity at this point in the season that the trade I made gave TZDZ the championship, say it, and we can save the quote for the end of the season and you're the Fantasy guru. But if he doesn't, I'm going to grill you about "the most bogus trade". And all that has to happen for this trade to be ineffectual is my team doesn't go in the toliet and TZDZ doesn't win the league. I prefer to try and trade to make MY team better. I don't care who TZDZ has. I beat him once and if we happen to meet in the playoffs...well, it's an "any given Sunday" thing.

I try to trade all of the time in other leagues because drafts are a crap shoot and picking up free agents is lame. Owners just race to see who can be the first to pick up some guy that no one's ever heard of until he scored 2 TDs the Sunday before. Someone who doesn't like this trade has already made like 15 roster moves this year.

I am more willing to try something risky in this league because it's only $20. I'm in two other leagues that have high entry fees and I would have been less willing to do what I did here. This trade adds some intrigue to the season. In fact, when TZ made his initial offer, I countered and said "Now THAT'S a trade".

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:08 am 

I don't even plan on responding to that messageboard thread anymore. (but I might if the whining continues) :dance:

But I will now bring out something I have refrained from doing, until now.

The popular consensus seems to be that Mathews is a "better" back.
A closer inspection shows you that is bullshit.
Nothing is further from the truth, and this is why I wasn't sure about the trade to begin with.

In 2010, which is Jamaal Charles last full season at starting rb, some of his stats are............

Jamaal Charles, 230 carries... 1,467 yards....6.4 YPC.....

This led him to be #2 in the league behind one Arian Foster.
In fact, that year he ceded many carries to Thomas Jones. Look at the above numbers, and check out the rushing leaders on nfl . com
NO ONE had that few carries (in the top 10), and by a large margin too. The closest to him was Ahmad Bradshaw with 46 more.
Not only that,his YPC is leaps and bounds better than everyone elses.
His only apparent weakness, is he only had 5 TDs that season rushing.... but wait, I can offset that too.
Toss in another 468 yards receiving, and another 3 TDs. Over 1950 total yards.... :evil:
(they just don't use him near the goal line, nor do they have to)

Lets go back to 2009....
Charles had another 190 carries, 1120 yards 5.9 YPC and 7 TDs. Add in another 297 yards receiving and a TD.

Ryan Mathews -
His 2011 season was his best season really. (he did play in 12 games in 2010 but his stats were worse, barring one extra rushing TD)
He rushed for 1091 yards, on 222 carries and 4.9 YPC, 6 TDs. Add in another 458 yards receiving, and ZERO TDs.

So who is the better back.. Charles or Mathews, I don't think its even close.
Not only that, there are many arguements to be made, that Charles may be the best RB in the game today, Foster included.
Sure the extra touches and TDs are flashy from a fantasy standpoint, but thats not what I'm referring to.
The only real draw back Charles has this season, is if there are any blowouts, he will be yanked from the game. (as he was in week 2, I believe)

These points are what led me to target Jamaal Charles in all 3 leagues I am in this season (in my top 2 picks), while everyone else was asleep at the wheel, drafting on auto-pilot.

The detractors may say "well Mathews loses a bit of time injured and STILL has decent stats".
DUH! that makes the trade on my behalf even more risky, considering I have to deal with him being injury-prone.
This is most likely a big reason you don't want him on your team.

Now, you know I am high on Charles.
I think Mathews can be slightly behind those numbers, maybe 15% worse roughly.
But the added stability and upside of Brady at QB is why I made the trade. (among other factors I won't address here)

Vick has really only had 1 bad game this season, and he should skirt the top 10 QB rank this year.
I could have easily used Carson Palmer or Ryan Fitzpatrick, both having decent years so far... or just stuck it out with Vick.

Regardless of all this, the strength of my lineup in this league should make me playoff bound, with or without Brady and this last trade also.

To answer your question whit....
Would I have traded Charles straight up for Brady? I can't say for certain, but that would have seriously detracted from my RB strength, and I may not have went for it. (from the looks of it, no one else would have hesitated) Let more injuries set in, and see how everyone else values their starting (non -comittee) RBs. Its already bad for some teams and with the bye weeks approaching it will only get worse.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:28 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

whitsbrain wrote:

I don't think its collusion. I don't think the trade was anywhere near even, but that's just my value on the players. You see it different. I had my chance to veto, others didn't join in. All is fair.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Majority of the time trades never go through and are vetoed.

And this I don't agree with. (I think its true that most are vetoed, especially in this league)
But I think most trades SHOULD be allowed. Especially if both teams make apparent improvements. (even if one has obvious improvement and another is so-so or "gambling" on upside)

Its like this...........
Like right now you are 1-2 and theres a good chance you are about to go 1-3.
Do I think its fair to try and stop you from improving your team? No, and I am not interested in vetoing any trades you may be involved in either.
The only cases where I think trades should be vetoed are collusion or "player-dumping", neither of which are happening in this trade.

In fact, I am a firm believer in something I heard a guy say last year, and thats "If you aren't trading, you aren't TRYING".
For some reason though, its not done often in this league...... and I never quite understood why.
For what its worth, I tried a couple last season and was turned down.

TZ DZ fan

I made a trade last season, turned out horribly for me. But I survived. Or was that the other league. I forget. Anyway...I did a trade last year!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:45 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
(but I might if the whining continues) :dance:

To answer your question whit....
Would I have traded Charles straight up for Brady? I can't say for certain, but that would have seriously detracted from my RB strength, and I may not have went for it. (from the looks of it, no one else would have hesitated) Let more injuries set in, and see how everyone else values their starting (non -comittee) RBs. Its already bad for some teams and with the bye weeks approaching it will only get worse.

TZ DZ fan

I would hardly say that I was whining. I wasn't even going to say anything. I don't think its "the most bogus trade" like Sean does, just unbalanced and in TZ's favor. As for Charles for Brady straight up, it would depend on the team. Who else I have at RB and who I have or can get at QB.

Again, I voted Veto because I thought it was a bit too uneven. Others didn't. I only spoke, because I wanted to give some light as to why some might have thought it uneven instead of just whining that it was a "bogus trade."

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 pm 

alsunday wrote:
I would hardly say that I was whining. I wasn't even going to say anything. I don't think its "the most bogus trade" like Sean does, just unbalanced and in TZ's favor. As for Charles for Brady straight up, it would depend on the team. Who else I have at RB and who I have or can get at QB.

Again, I voted Veto because I thought it was a bit too uneven. Others didn't. I only spoke, because I wanted to give some light as to why some might have thought it uneven instead of just whining that it was a "bogus trade."

I never said it was you doing the whining.
On that note, after really looking at his post, I don't even know its so much whining as it is not having a clue how much better a back that Jamaal Charles is than Ryan Mathews.
Thats more bitching without knowing the facts and rushing to judgement.

And as far as trades are concerned in this league..........
You may have made a trade last year, I am not sure.

But either way I know I can count on one hand the number of trades in this particular league since its inception in 2007.
Its as if people fall in love with their players just because they are on their own teams.
Not me.
Once I get a few losses in, I'm trying to change some apparent weaknesses, if its possible.

Its like whit said, its about making your own team better. (and improving you own chances to get to the playoffs, then getting lucky)
Certainly not "playing prevent defense for yourself and the whole league" like he mentioned in a later post.
OK, don't try to improve your team whit, and fall on the sword for the betterment of the rest of the league.
Thats ridiculous.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:18 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Seems to me there was never any issues in the PtE league previously until Sean joined, at least nothing that became bitchy. Bottom line: I respect everyone's opinions but certainly can be smoother ways to trash talk. Now everyone is all in a huff. Get over it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:15 am 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Seems to me there was never any issues in the PtE league previously until Sean joined, at least nothing that became bitchy. Bottom line: I respect everyone's opinions but certainly can be smoother ways to trash talk. Now everyone is all in a huff. Get over it.

I don't think there are major issues my friend. :)
I think everyone is well within the boundaries but..........

It just appears that Sean might have gotten his panties in a wad about the trade.

He will get over it.
Maybe he thought he was just going to enter our league"s" (he is in two with me and alsunday) and dominate????, and it hasn't exactly worked out like that.
I said it last year, but I think this particular league is a bit more competitive than most.
Seems like all the managers have a pretty good handle on things.

On that note, I am a little surprised at the Razorblades this season, I guess I just got used to seeing her near the top every season.
Upon further inspection, her lineup is good, but it seems like she has had an injury or two (Fred Jackson got me in two leagues) and there are several underperformers on her team also. Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant,Darren McFadden and Antonio Gates all come to mind right off.
I must admit that all those players would have burned me also, as they are typically top notch.
(Hell, its still early and they may take off in the next few games also, and do just fine)
I have Bryant and Gates in another league, and I'm about to trade them both for Drew Brees.
Its hard to win when you get several starters that aren't putting up the numbers they should every week.
I was really big on McFadden preseason, and was targeting him as well as a few others, but he has been a let down so far.

I see she picked up the NYG defense, who I dropped after week one. Thats actually a great pickup as they are more healthy than when I dropped them, and they should do fine from here on out.

TZ DZ fan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next