Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:14 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Although I may not post in this thread often enough, I don't think anyone has started the ...drumroll...

The Official 2014 Major League Baseball Thread

So I just did.

Let me start it out by saying that I am a huge Minnesota Twins fan and they suck. Nice ballpark, though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:17 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

And the Twins lose their opening game 5-3 to the White Sox. :roll:

When Kurt Suzuki has all three of your team's RBIs, you know as a fan, you're in for a long season.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:30 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Good call, Whit. I'm happy baseball season is upon us. Tough loss for the Twins yesterday. Well I drafted Joe Mauer for my fantasy squad so I hope he has a great year!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Hey Whit, you're Twins are in second place! I know it's early but at least they're contending with Detroit right now. Though I'd like Hometown Joe to pick up his game a bit - he's been moved to 1B which should help him. Hope he breaks out of his slumber soon. I even just picked up Brian Dozier too for my fantasy squad - bad average right now but working all the other stat categories.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:18 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I don't mean to monopolize this and turn it into a Twins thread, but my squad is sitting at .500 and they have been an offensive juggernaut. It's been really fun watching new guys (Colabello, Pinto) and seeing this team score some runs. Too bad their pitching sucks.

They were 18-17 after 35 games last year and ended up finishing like 66-96 or something like that, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

But the Twins have 4 of Baseball America's Top 100 prospects cooking in their farm system, with a few that should be ready to go sometime next season (#1-Byron Buxton, #6-Miguel Sano, #45-Alex Meyer, #52-Kohl Stewart).

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:38 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
I don't mean to monopolize this and turn it into a Twins thread, but my squad is sitting at .500 and they have been an offensive juggernaut. It's been really fun watching new guys (Colabello, Pinto) and seeing this team score some runs. Too bad their pitching sucks.

They were 18-17 after 35 games last year and ended up finishing like 66-96 or something like that, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

But the Twins have 4 of Baseball America's Top 100 prospects cooking in their farm system, with a few that should be ready to go sometime next season (#1-Byron Buxton, #6-Miguel Sano, #45-Alex Meyer, #52-Kohl Stewart).

Yeah Colabello has come out of nowhere! I like looking at prospects and know all about Buxton and Sano, but haven't heard of the other two guys. Thanks for the inside info.

BTW, it's totally not a hijacking by making it all about the Twins. That's your team and that's what you want to post about. I'm all about the whole sport and actually enjoy discussing about whichever team people will talk about. So keep the posts coming!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:33 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
lazyboyx51 wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:
I don't mean to monopolize this and turn it into a Twins thread, !

GRRRRRRRRRRRR Twins win 2 games out of 3 against the Os this past weekend!!! :x :x :x :o
I did not see that coming

Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:55 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yep, Twins are back to .500. Just like damn near everyone else in the American League.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:18 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Mauer starting to heat up --- and now out with back spasms. Dozier is playing out of his mind, despite a low batting average.

My Yankees started out looking good, now they look like garbage. Bases loaded and no outs against the Angels in the 8th and can't score a run. Pathetic. CC looks mediocre at best. They disgust me.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Mauer starting to heat up --- and now out with back spasms. Dozier is playing out of his mind, despite a low batting average.

My Yankees started out looking good, now they look like garbage. Bases loaded and no outs against the Angels in the 8th and can't score a run. Pathetic. CC looks mediocre at best. They disgust me.

Baseball is full of ups and downs. One of the things I like best about baseball is that there's always a game tomorrow to right the wrongs. Not like football where you lose and have to analyze the shite out of it for a week.

You know Lazy, for a Yankees fan, you're alright. ;)

Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:06 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

whitsbrain wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

I'll agree only because hes a New York Yankees fan IN NY. All the Yankees fan outside of that state Id like to to take a pitchfork to.

If you are a die hard fan of all of the following teams...(yet live nowhere near)

New York Yankees
Dallas cowboys
Chicago Bulls
detroit Red Wings

Then the 90s have passed you by and your beloved franchises and dynasty players are gone. :P Time to move on

Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:13 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Baseball is full of ups and downs. One of the things I like best about baseball is that there's always a game tomorrow to right the wrongs. Not like football where you lose and have to analyze the shite out of it for a week.

Awww, thanks man! :D

Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:39 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Kind of along these same lines...I absolutely hate ESPN!

Here's what you will see on ESPN Sportscenter EVERY night:

New York Yankees highlights (when it's football season, substitute with Dallas Cowboys)
Boston Red Sox highlights (when it's football season, substitute New England Patriots)
Yasiel Puig
Lebron James
Tiger Woods

:yack:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:15 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
The only time I can stomach ESPN is during football, but thats also a function that I have pretty much stopped watching all sports except the NFL.

In fact, I personally think there should be an off season lesser league underneath the NFL, so avid fantasy players can mount up and play fantasy on that during the off season.
In 2012, there were over 33.5 million fantasy players (estimate) that took part.
Undoubtedly there are many more now.

But back to ESPN, its basically just one big self promotion commercial, and one that I don't much like to be honest.
Its one promo for an "ESPN" show, followed by another promo for yet another "ESPN" show, all the while you have the little handy-dandy ESPN logo in the corner.
Oh and then theres the incessant Sportscenter basically around the clock.
Now this I can take or leave, because its nice when you need to get some information or want to watch some headlines (and you can do it at your own time and pace)..........but around the clock??? Thats why we now have the internet though.

Just when you couldn't get enough, get you some Sportscenter 2 and there might even be a Sportscenter 3.
ANNNNNNND, just for the others, there are Spanish versions also if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, on the baseball note, Creeper might be a little sick.
His beloved Braves have reeled off like 7 losses out of the last 8 or something like that, I haven't checked in a couple of days so I'm not exactly sure.

This turned into a mini rant, but WTF.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:20 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Sorry. I'm going to rage a little. I am officially tired of the NFL. It's too much.

I've been playing Fantasy Football for over 20 years but I think I may be done. I just can't stand the over-analysis. These talking-heads analyzing Fantasy values and the Draft order...how long somebody's arms are...for shite's sake...when they start measuring player height in quarter-inch increments!?! I think it's safe to say they've gone overboard.

And the worst thing is there are no consequences to anything they say. They could be wrong 100% of the time yet there they are, on some NFL Combine, Signing Day, bullshite show...blah blah blah. "Oh my gosh! College stud Joe Blow only ran a 4.39 in the 40! That's two-hundredths of a second less than I projected he'd run it at. I estimated he'd come in at 4.37 seconds! He's going to fall to late First Round with that sub-par effort!" :roll:

It would be funny if it weren't so damned dense.

And another thing about ESPN. My son watches Sportscenter all the time on my big plasma TV and the stupid "Coming Up" border on the left of the screen and the score scrolling on the bottom are burning into my beautiful screen. I told him to stop watching Sportscenter on it.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:01 am 

whitsbrain wrote:
I just can't stand the over-analysis. These talking-heads analyzing Fantasy values and the Draft order...how long somebody's arms are...for shite's sake...when they start measuring player height in quarter-inch increments!?! I think it's safe to say they've gone overboard.

And the worst thing is there are no consequences to anything they say. They could be wrong 100% of the time yet there they are, on some NFL Combine, Signing Day, bullshite show...blah blah blah. "Oh my gosh! College stud Joe Blow only ran a 4.39 in the 40! That's two-hundredths of a second less than I projected he'd run it at. I estimated he'd come in at 4.37 seconds! He's going to fall to late First Round with that sub-par effort!" :roll:

Well my friend, this is partially your own fault.
No one says you have to watch all that specific content you know.... at least I personally don't.
I love fantasy as much as any, but there is no way I would watch (or listen) to 90% of that bullshit.
I personally listen to 1 or 2 fantasy related podcasts, but its more opinion oriented and light discussion, not hair splitting and saying "this guy has a bigger vertical jump".
I have never watched any, and I mean ZERO of any of the Combine shows.
I mean, I can see the appeal if you are a fan of a few players, but on that note I watch ZERO College Ball too, so figure that one out.

Here is something else that will blow everyone's minds here..... I HAVE NEVER WATCHED A DRAFT, OR ANY PART OF ONE IN MY LIFE
Most of the reasons why are what whitsbrain said above.....I'm just not interested in most of that bullshit.

Now *I AM* interested in who a few teams might get, and this year more than any. But I doubt I'll be watching any of the draft, specifically for the reasons why whit stated.

I guess now is the time to ask if you will be returning to our PTE Fantasy Football league this year??? :dance:

TZ DZ FAN

Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm 

Another thing I should add................

Yet another reason I agree with whit (and why I don't listen to this) "highly specific" fantasy critique is that its often just plain wrong.

Look no further than the Vikings Adrian Peterson. He is the last example I can think of, where no one was high on him (in fantasy) coming off his major injury into the 2012 season.
Pretty much all fantasy "experts" agreed that he was too much of a high risk that year. Essentially all warned to "stay away" unless you just took a late round flier.
What did he do??? He went on to have one of the best seasons ever with over 2,000 yards rushing.

Peyton Manning caught most off guard last year with a career year too, coming off a long layoff and injury.

I do like to hear abit about high "sleeper picks" and why they could be good fantasy plays, but getting into all that overly specific bullshit just isn't for me. (arm length, high jump specifics, Combine times etc)

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:58 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I do watch the NFL draft, watching right now, but viewing it on the NFL network. I'd rather listen to Mike Mayock provide his insight, he's typically right on. Otherwise I also don't go berserk with the details. I feel like pro days and combines are fine, but not tell-all on a player's potential. Some guys have shitty combines and are fine in the NFL, others have great days and don't live up to the hype. It's a way for teams to evaluate the talent but I have no addiction to that sort of thing.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:29 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

It's tough to escape Mel Kiper when you have a 19-year old who's got the big TV tuned into the NFL and devours Fantasy football.

I'm sure I'll play in the PTE league. The price is right!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:39 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
It's tough to escape Mel Kiper when you have a 19-year old who's got the big TV tuned into the NFL and devours Fantasy football.

I'm sure I'll play in the PTE league. The price is right!

I've listened to Mel Kiper, used to like him, but his voice can grate the nerves. I've escaped Kiper and transitioned to the NFL network, so I listen to his counterpart Mike Mayock. Mayock commentates the NFL network games during the season. He's definitely an interesting talking head. I caught some draft here and there, not ecstatic with Gmen moves. Definitely a good WR in round 1 but those shitheads need a TE and they lost out on the top TEs for a second straight year. Reese is a moron.

Now back to the MLB....

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:39 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Your Twins are visiting this weekend, Whit. Congrats on the win yesterday. Hope the Yanks come back and take the next two. I'm interested to see how they play against Phil Hughes tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:46 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Tanaka looked awesome yesterday. The Twins had Correia out there, who battled, but he is our 5th starter in my opinion. I'm so glad this is the last year of his contract. He is a place holder for many of the young pitching studs the Twins have working their way up through the minors.

Should be fun to watch what Phil Hughes does in the unfriendly confines of Yankee Stadium. Much has been made in the local Minnesota press about Hughes and his trouble with giving up the long ball in the band box that is Yankee Stadium. As you can see from his stats, he is looking much better in the spacious Target field.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:59 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
Tanaka looked awesome yesterday. The Twins had Correia out there, who battled, but he is our 5th starter in my opinion. I'm so glad this is the last year of his contract. He is a place holder for many of the young pitching studs the Twins have working their way up through the minors.

Should be fun to watch what Phil Hughes does in the unfriendly confines of Yankee Stadium. Much has been made in the local Minnesota press about Hughes and his trouble with giving up the long ball in the band box that is Yankee Stadium. As you can see from his stats, he is looking much better in the spacious Target field.

Yes Tanaka was awesome yesterday, clearly the ACE of our team. Have to say, I thought we would've beat up on Correia, the guy sports a 6 ERA! Shows the Yanks are struggling offensively (especially noted that they only scored 3 runs on 12 hits and left bases loaded twice - typical).

Definitely looking forward to watching Hughes - he sucked when pitching at the Stadium, yes giving up the long ball. Watch - he'll stymie the Yanks and make them look silly.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:22 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Well the Yanks blew that one. Should've been a 2-1 win but Robertson f@%ked up; I was really pissed off. Kudos to your Twins Whit; Hughes pitched superbly, mystifying being that it was at the Stadium (again, tells the offensive troubles this team is having). Oh well, turn the page and play another day.

The highlights for the Yankees is that this kid Chase Whitley looks very good. I feel bad he couldn't grab his first win of the season. He's on a limit I suppose, being a rookie and all; he hasn't pitched past the 5th inning yet, but he looks promising. Betances is dynamite! The dude had 5 of 6 strikeouts in the 2 innings of relief; I love this guy. They better leave him as he is and not screw him up the way they did with Joba and Hughes.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:24 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well, Hughes did look good, but I screwed up. When Betances struck out 5 of 6 Twins' batters, I shut the game off. I am so sick and tired of watching this rag-tag, slapped together team. I am out of patience with the Twins front office and manager (fire Gardenhire...PLEASE!!!!). I know they won on Sunday, but they are doing it with mirrors right now. Mark my words, there is a 10-game losing streak in the Twins very near future. They can't keep this up, they truly have mostly sh*tty Triple-AAA players on their 25-man roster and I for one am tired of this same lame bunch of losers.

We have a minor league system that is bursting with talent and what do we get to see, Jason Kubel 0-4 (4 strikeouts), a center fielder that is hitting a dollar ninety, and an AL worst pitching staff with an ERA of almost 5.00.

I'm sick of waiting and most Twins fans are, too. I haven't gone to a game yet because the only ones on the team that excite me at all is Arcia, Dozier and Pinto. I am so sick of Mauer watching the first two pitches for strikes every at-bat. The only Twins on the 25-man roster I'd keep are Perkins, Arcia, Dozier and Pinto. The rest...trade 'em or cut 'em. Let's pull a Houston Astros here. At least then I'd know that the mediocrity I'm watching with the young players may lead to a brighter future as opposed to the washed-ups on the field we have now.

I don't even care that they are only a couple games under .500, the Twins and the cooperative (ass-kissing) sports media in Minneapolis are constantly telling us "help is on the way" from the minors, yet we never see any. The Twins have thrown away three consecutive seasons this way and the ticket prices are still outrageous and the baseball is bad.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:14 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Major trade on final day of deadline: Red Sox trade pitcher Jon Lester and OF Jonny Gomes to Oakland for OF Yoenis Cespedes and a draft pick. Wow! Oakland is putting all their chips in to win this year. I'm a big fan of Cespedes, hate that he's playing for Boston now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:53 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

You gotta hand it to Oakland and Detroit. They are definitely all in!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:06 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

whitsbrain wrote:

I agree, these 2 teams will battle to get into the World Series....as of now got to give Detroit the advantage because of the experience and the hitting - anytime you have Miguel Cabrera in your lineup you have an advantage over your opponent. Plus Oakland had to give up one of their offensive threats to get a pitcher. Time will tell if my predictions are right.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:12 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Yeah, a couple of megadeals to make the non-waiver trade deadline exciting. A couple small moves for the Yankees, but a little shakeup can be exciting too.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:14 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

jcrm316 wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:

I agree, these 2 teams will battle to get into the World Series....as of now got to give Detroit the advantage because of the experience and the hitting - anytime you have Miguel Cabrera in your lineup you have an advantage over your opponent. Plus Oakland had to give up one of their offensive threats to get a pitcher. Time will tell if my predictions are right.

Yes, they have to score runs, which based on their season, they can do at will with such an inflated run differential. I think they have confidence that the hitting and scoring will still be there and adding the absurd depth to the SP will help shut down opposing offenses and win a championship.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:37 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

Problem is that Oakland just sent of a HUGE chunk of that run differential. I think Boston made out like a bandit!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:06 pm 

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:52 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

GO Os

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:28 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

StillValleyBard wrote:
GO Os

I was waiting for a response from you. Your team is playing very well this season. I knew it even last year, the Yankees were extremely lucky to get past them in the first round of playoffs. I expect the Orioles to make it in again, but they will have a tough time dealing with Oakland or Detroit.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:09 am 

Orioles playing GOOD baseball of late. I can see the fans getting excited!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:23 am 

:wtf: The Titanic Atlanta Braves in 5 seconds :x

Link

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:18 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Beware The Creeper wrote:
Orioles playing GOOD baseball of late. I can see the fans getting excited!

Countdown to a Word Title starts tomorrow night.....

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:07 pm 

Someone should send Billy Beane this BOOK/DVD!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:25 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

The Orioles had a good run. :(

I never saw Kansas as the team that would prevent Baltimore from going to the World Series! :wtf:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:34 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

StillValleyBard wrote:
The Orioles had a good run. :(

I never saw Kansas as the team that would prevent Baltimore from going to the World Series! :wtf:

I don't think anyone did, but that's what makes the underdog story great.