Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Golf thread
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:46 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
This dedicated thread is for any of the interaction between Whitsbrain and I, (and possibly any other board members) that play golf.

I am not so much into watching tournaments on TV, though I used to, but more so into the playing aspect.
Here are a few whit quotes from the other thread..............

whitsbrain wrote:
It's good to hear you are getting back into golf. Over the past year and a half, I have got myself down 30 pounds to 190. I thought getting in shape would lend itself to playing better golf and now I work so much that I barely have time to play.

It sounds like your game is much better than mine and that you had a pretty nice start on your comeback trail. I am about a 16 handicap, so there's room to improve. I haven't had any shoulder problems but they and the back issues are the scourge of the golfer. I hope you get that straightened out.

Oh and as far as age goes...yesterday, I slipped going down the basement stairs and broke my big toe. Not sure when I am going to be able to run (or golf) again.I'd be interested in hearing about the Srixons.

I don't know when I'll golf again, though. I just got back from the orthopedic surgeon. I basically broke my toe in half horizontally just below the first "knuckle". A pin and six weeks of heal coming for me.

Thats a pieced together quote, but its a place to start.

Just so you know, I had a friend I used to work with almost 20 years ago. He was much older than I but one day cutting grass he actually backed over one of his feet with a push mower, and he cut his big toe off completely.
Offhand, I can't remember if it was his right foot or left, but it actually didn't hold him back for too long.
The puns and snide comments could be never ending, but he was on his feet in no time. :dance:

The other coworkers started calling him "twinkle toes" and all sorts of things, but he was generally ok with it , and was an all around good guy.
Point is, you can always sneak out to the range, if you are so inclined.

Another cool thing, is to see if there are any "FIRST TEE" facilities near you.
If you aren't familiar with those, its basically a nationwide program that caters towards introducing kids and adolescents the game, and the "life lessons" that go along with it.
The great thing about these courses, is they are absolutely mint as far as a practice facility goes.
Most every one has a driving range, an 18 hole course, a practice chipping green, and also a practice putting green, so they are tremendous facilities if you are looking to sharpen up a little bit.
I only say this as most guys aren't very in tune with these places, and consider them "kiddie courses".
Honestly, most of the courses have a large amount of par 3 holes, but there are some par 4s and even a par 5 or two sprinkled in, and often the fairways are kept in great shape compared to many public courses. (this isn't difficult to figure out why, as its a nationwide program with facilities in 50 states, and even a handful internationally)
So for the cost of a bucket of balls, which is generally $6 for a small bucket, you can hit balls, and then putt and chip all you want as far as practice is concerned.
Several times recently I have driven to a local FIRST TEE, and just chipped and practiced putting.

Anyhow, the one weakness of my game, has always been driving the ball. Strong iron play and short game wizardry 8) has always kept my scores respectable, but inconsistency with the driver has kept me a few shots away from being around scratch.

I vowed a couple weeks back that if I was going to start playing seriously again, then I would go buy a new driver, as I never was happy with my old Adams Tight Lies driver I had years back.

So after a few days looking around town , and hitting a few hundred balls in the process in stores on simulators, I ended up getting what is probably a great deal.
I ended up getting a Taylor Made Rocketballz bonded driver. (bonded meaning its NOT adjustable)
If you haven't looked at any of the new equipment in the last year or two, many of the major manufacturers are coming out with adjustable drivers, where you can change the lie and loft of the club.

I have hit it quite a bit on the range the last two days, and I am pleased overall with it.
I am still not very consistent, and I may in fact get 1-1.5 inches cut down off the shaft since I am not very tall. (most modern drivers are about 1-2 inches longer than more traditional lengths too, in case you didn't know.)

These drivers are on a closeout/clearance from most locations, but are still available most everywhere, including online, and are a very good bargain at a measly $99, including headcover.
If you have looked around at some of the newer equipment, you will see the new stuff often hits the $299 - $399 mark, its ridiculous.
If you happen to be in the market for a decent driver, or its just time to replace your old one, you might give this a look around town, and hit it in a few of the simulators. Most all big name sporting goods stores like "Dick's", "Golfsmith" and others all have simulators now where you can try clubs out before you buy.

Tomorrow my friend is dropping off a sleeve of the new Srixon ZStars and a sleeve of the ProV1X balls for me to try.

I will likely hit them Monday........... I'll keep you posted.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject: Re: The Golf thread
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:28 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I enjoy watching golf on TV. I like seeing the courses and the way they are designed. I make a point of watching all the major tournaments, but some of the lesser ones (like the Memorial this weekend) feature a strong field of players on a beautiful course. Definitely worth watching for me.

I did not know that about the First Tee courses. There is one about 15 miles from me. Actually, I have a very nice course about 3 miles away. I can pay $6 to hit a large bucket on the range (with short, intermediate and long targets) and they have two practice greens, one of which has sand and chipping facilities. It's a beautiful setup. When my son played high school golf, I got to know the folks there and I also know the golf pro, but I have never taken lessons from him. Which I HAVE to do ASAP.

Thanks for the tips on equipment. I am very interested in hearing about the Srixons.

I am in the market for a new driver. I am still hitting a Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 driver that I have had forever. I have always been very good out of the tee box with this club, so in a way I want to stick with it. But the technology is about a decade old so I am hankerin' for something new, but I never buy "first-year" equipment. Like you said, the prices are obscene.

I have been hitting Cobra 3100i/H regular flex shafted irons for about 6 years now. I don't really like them that much. Hitting greens in reg is the part of my game that needs the most work.

Unfortunately, I had foot surgery on Thursday. I am in a soft cast until the end of June. That's when they take the pins (yeah, they had to put in two) out. I asked my surgeon when I might be able to play and he wasn't sure. I'm conservatively hoping for end of July. That way, I'll have August, Sept and maybe half of October to play (the season ends early here). Maybe then we can compare how our game's are shaping up. My goal is to break 80 someday, but the clock is ticking on me.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:55 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Not a golfer at all, though I feel like it's something I should try to get into.

For Whit, good luck with your recovery! I would concur with your conservative timeframe, all depends on how well you heal.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:25 am 

whitsbrain wrote:
Thanks for the tips on equipment. I am very interested in hearing about the Srixons.

I am in the market for a new driver. I am still hitting a Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 driver that I have had forever. I have always been very good out of the tee box with this club, so in a way I want to stick with it. But the technology is about a decade old so I am hankerin' for something new, but I never buy "first-year" equipment. Like you said, the prices are obscene.

I have been hitting Cobra 3100i/H regular flex shafted irons for about 6 years now. I don't really like them that much. Hitting greens in reg is the part of my game that needs the most work.

Unfortunately, I had foot surgery on Thursday. I am in a soft cast until the end of June. That's when they take the pins (yeah, they had to put in two) out. I asked my surgeon when I might be able to play and he wasn't sure. My goal is to break 80 someday, but the clock is ticking on me.

You owe it to yourself to try and have a look at one of these new RBZ drivers then bro.
Its a chance to get "new technology" at a great price. I have hit perhaps 10 different of the "newer" drivers, this years hot new releases, and many of last years models. Some in the $350-$399 range. :(
As I'm sure you know, golf is like anything else...................when the new season rolls around, you can buy last years models cheaper and still brand new. (though often still too damn expensive) So when I saw these were slashed down to $99, I had to have a look.
Another I liked oddly enough since you mentioned Cobra irons is a Cobra Bio Cell. Its the new 2014 issue and it was $199.
I didn't think it was worth double the price, and truth be known I hit the RBZ just as well in the simulators, and once I got my RBZ on the range I was MORE than satisfied.
I think the reason they cut the prices down on these RBZ/Rocketballz drivers, is that it is one of the last few "major" drivers that were made non-adjustable.
The public always wants the latest and greatest, and in my opinion the adjustable crap isn't necessarily better. (all the studies have shown the general public "sets" their adjustable drivers one way and for the most part never changes it anyway LOL)
Its a very "macho" sound when you hit this one. Its like a cross between a loud "TINK" and "breaking glass" if that makes sense.

Anyway, you might sneak off into a local store when you are out and about town, and have a look..............this is a case where it might be worth it to you.

I assume you are asking about the Srixons as a solid alternative to playing a "premium ball" like the ProV1?
Just in the last 2 years (yeah I've been doing alot of reading lately on a golf message board) most major companies have come out with comparable premium balls.
So while the ProV1/ProV1X isn't the only one in town anymore, the comparable balls are still expensive....often $40 a dozen. :yack:

I have heard excellent reviews on this site, a place where you can get huge savings, if you don't mind "mint seconds".
http://www.lostgolfballs.com
I have heard rave reviews on the AAAAA balls, if you go that route. They do have different levels of balls for sale, with AAAAA being basically new or very close.
Suppose you go with the ProV1X, which are normally about $40 a dozen. You can buy a bucket of 50 of those at lostgolfballs for only $98.99.
The only 2-3 bad stories I heard, was an instance where someone bought a bucket, and there were 3-4 balls (out of 50 or 100) scuffed to a point where they wouldn't play them. Some then took photos, sent them to the site and they were sent new balls in place of the bad ones.
Don't know if you are into this type of thing or not and I personally have never tried it, but it sounds worth a look.

Just in case you are interested whit, I have been playing these irons, and they too are about 10+ years old.

Open note to Lazy- I have never really asked if you were into playing much sports. Since you are a big fan, I assume you played many things as a kid.
But if you give golf a try, you might end up infected for life.
Most who take up the game, never give it up.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:20 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
As a kid, I was playing baseball just about every day, though mostly unorganized on concrete in a schoolyard. Even played two years in a PAL league but again, they were played in a schoolyard, so not the same as a nice grass and dirt field. Nevertheless, baseball was my main sport of choice growing up. I played basketball a bit, mostly intramurals in high school, but I sucked at basketball. Football was mostly for fun. Never played hockey, soccer, volleyball, golf, or tennis.

Yeah, definitely should think about trying golf, even if its just hitting at a range to start, because I have no clue what I'm doing lol. Still get the urge to go to a batting cage or get on a ball field though.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:58 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah, I will definitely check out the RBZ driver when I am able to swing again.

I am interested in an alternative to the premium Titleist ProV1 balls. I don't want to spend that kind of money on golf balls. If I was a scratch golfer, I would.

Those Titlelist irons are classics!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:02 pm 

Played a local First Tee course this afternoon with a friend.
I was all over the damn course a few holes, but my short game kept me fairly respectable.
I continue to believe I am having alignment problems, especially at address.
Often when I work on it on the range, it improves noticeably right away.

On a brighter note, I was about 9 inches today from a hole-in-one. In fact, I damn near flew one straight into the hole on the fly.
I believe the hole was about a 105 yd. par 3 I hit a punch/knock down pitching wedge, and the ball mark was perhaps 6 inches from the hole.

I think I ended up about 9 over for 18 holes, that includes one lost ball for a 7 on a par five, one birdie deuce, and the last hole was a 3 putt 6 on a par 5. (I don't even remember the last time I got an actual 7, ugh.) :yack:
Everything else was 5 or less.
Overall, not too bad for just getting back into it I suppose.

Played the ProV1X today, and I did notice it was a little short on some short iron shots, but overall the stoppage on the greens was only fair. They weren't anywhere near as "spinny" as I was hoping for.
Oddly enough, I have always been able to spin the ball heaps and this ball isn't quite what I was expecting honestly.
The more I think about it, I do need some new clubs, which I have been researching the last week or two. :dance:

Also, I'm thinking about going out and getting a reputable fitter to fit me also. Everyone I have ever asked about it said basically the same thing....."money well spent".

I will try the Srixons out Wednesday or Friday, depending on how things go at the doctors office tomorrow, and if he decides to give me cortisone again.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:31 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

You are making me jealous. I wish I could get out there and play.

Ouch a 7 and a 6 on two Par-5s...scoring opportunities lost. Well, you can do like I do, just say "if I had made two pars there, I'd only be "x-over par" on my round.

I've always had alignment issues. If I get back into playing by July, I am going to take a few lessons and alignment will be near the top of the list. Any later than July and I'll shelve the lessons idea until next Spring.

The next time I spend money on irons, I will be seeing a "fitter".

Balls...I never know if I'm the problem or if a couple of strokes can be blamed on the ball I'm playing. Last year, I was playing Taylor Made's cheapest 3-piece ball, but I can't remember what it was called.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:58 am 

I have battled similar issues for years.
Yesterday, I just couldn't get "comfortable" on the teebox. I've had countless days like that over the years, and I do suspect I know part of the problem, and its almost always back to alignment and upper body posture issues.

I also continuously deal with ball placement issues in my stance.....and a recurring problem is having it too far forward, and it often leads me to a snap hook, or a high push. (when it comes to ball placement, its pretty clear cut what problems cause which results)

I studied the game alot years ago, and I do tend to know most general problems and can fix alot of my own issues with a bit of work on the practice tee.
The cold hard truth, is most high handicapper issues are normally the basics, and getting back to those normally helps quite a bit.

In fact, I never knew a high handicapper that didn't improve from doing these three things.............
Correct your posture........ Swing slower/easier......... and check your alignment
(not saying you need work on these, but generally guys that shoot around 100 almost always need work in these areas)

On that note, guys that are around the 15 handicap range such as yourself, Are generally only one little fix away from breaking 80 frequently. Typically its 1-2 things and you make a big improvement. (I'm betting its in alignment and consistency issues as well in your case, especially if you think you have alignment problems too)

I'm sure I never mentioned, but I play a straight ball, which you may or may not know, is MUCH tougher. Essentially there are NO pros that play straight balls , they almost always draw or fade the ball.
When I get back into the groove, I can do either though not as proficiently as they do. :ROTF:

I'm also thinking about taking a lesson or two, and I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that the pro will tell me to "make a decision" and start working the ball.(if in fact I want to start being more consistent) Its easier to hit a consistent draw or fade, than it is a straight ball, and its not even close.

On the balls/scoring note... If you want consistency, you do need to find a ball you are happy with. That includes the type of shots you tend to hit, and the type of performance you are looking for around the greens.
Some people are more of a "bump and run" type of guy around the greens, and others like the pros are more "spinny" and want to be aggressive on shots and want to be able to spin the ball and make it check up a bit.
The longer more solid balls are better for distance, and the softer premium balls are a bit more "spinny" like the ProV1s , Srixon ZStars aren't quite as long. ALSO, since they are designed to spin a bit more, when mishit or sliced/hooked they tend to go a bit more offline spinning, as thats what they are designed to do.

It all depends on what you are looking for I suppose.
One ball that is generating alot of buzz is the "Top Flite" Gamer. Most people are put off by the Top Flite name, for years of cheap balls that don't spin at all. (though they were long)
Many guys on another board I have been looking at swear by these balls, and they are very aggressively priced at $19.99 per dozen or so, which as you know is essentially HALF than most premium balls.
I haven't looked at any of these yet, and I'm sure there is more than one "Gamer", you know a softer one, and a longer version.
There is a "Gamer V2" which is essentially described as a "poor man's ProV1", and the "Gamer Tour" has a Urethane cover, which is what most all manufacturers are putting on their spinny premium balls so I'm betting those are definitely worth a look.

I do know that the Callaway Hex Chrome is what I got first when I came back, and its not quite enough spin for me.
I will be opting for something with a bit more spin next dozen..........and I might try that "lostgolfballs" site for a deal.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

:wtf: Golf it the type of game where the better you are at it, the worse it is for you. It teases you and then kicks you in the anal opening. Just at the WORST possible time. :wtf:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:59 pm 

A quick visit to the doctor today.......

Results are as expected.
Cortisone, a couple days of rest and I should be able to resume playing Friday. :dance:

He did say "In my opinion, there is almost a ZERO chance you have rotator cuff damage", so thats good.
Also he recommended doing some shoulder exercises. (and possibly incorporating them for the rest of my life) :(

But good news, I only need to do them 2-3 times a week, that should be all I need.
Now to rest for a couple days.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:38 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
I have battled similar issues for years.
Yesterday, I just couldn't get "comfortable" on the teebox. I've had countless days like that over the years, and I do suspect I know part of the problem, and its almost always back to alignment and upper body posture issues.

I also continuously deal with ball placement issues in my stance.....and a recurring problem is having it too far forward, and it often leads me to a snap hook, or a high push. (when it comes to ball placement, its pretty clear cut what problems cause which results)

I studied the game alot years ago, and I do tend to know most general problems and can fix alot of my own issues with a bit of work on the practice tee.
The cold hard truth, is most high handicapper issues are normally the basics, and getting back to those normally helps quite a bit.

In fact, I never knew a high handicapper that didn't improve from doing these three things.............
Correct your posture........ Swing slower/easier......... and check your alignment
(not saying you need work on these, but generally guys that shoot around 100 almost always need work in these areas)

On that note, guys that are around the 15 handicap range such as yourself, Are generally only one little fix away from breaking 80 frequently. Typically its 1-2 things and you make a big improvement. (I'm betting its in alignment and consistency issues as well in your case, especially if you think you have alignment problems too)

I'm sure I never mentioned, but I play a straight ball, which you may or may not know, is MUCH tougher. Essentially there are NO pros that play straight balls , they almost always draw or fade the ball.
When I get back into the groove, I can do either though not as proficiently as they do. :ROTF:

I'm also thinking about taking a lesson or two, and I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that the pro will tell me to "make a decision" and start working the ball.(if in fact I want to start being more consistent) Its easier to hit a consistent draw or fade, than it is a straight ball, and its not even close.

On the balls/scoring note... If you want consistency, you do need to find a ball you are happy with. That includes the type of shots you tend to hit, and the type of performance you are looking for around the greens.
Some people are more of a "bump and run" type of guy around the greens, and others like the pros are more "spinny" and want to be aggressive on shots and want to be able to spin the ball and make it check up a bit.
The longer more solid balls are better for distance, and the softer premium balls are a bit more "spinny" like the ProV1s , Srixon ZStars aren't quite as long. ALSO, since they are designed to spin a bit more, when mishit or sliced/hooked they tend to go a bit more offline spinning, as thats what they are designed to do.

It all depends on what you are looking for I suppose.
One ball that is generating alot of buzz is the "Top Flite" Gamer. Most people are put off by the Top Flite name, for years of cheap balls that don't spin at all. (though they were long)
Many guys on another board I have been looking at swear by these balls, and they are very aggressively priced at $19.99 per dozen or so, which as you know is essentially HALF than most premium balls.
I haven't looked at any of these yet, and I'm sure there is more than one "Gamer", you know a softer one, and a longer version.
There is a "Gamer V2" which is essentially described as a "poor man's ProV1", and the "Gamer Tour" has a Urethane cover, which is what most all manufacturers are putting on their spinny premium balls so I'm betting those are definitely worth a look.

I do know that the Callaway Hex Chrome is what I got first when I came back, and its not quite enough spin for me.
I will be opting for something with a bit more spin next dozen..........and I might try that "lostgolfballs" site for a deal.

TZ DZ fan

Really great info here. Thanks for writing this up. You can read all the golf books and magazines in the world, but hearing this from a friend is very helpful. I am a straight ball hitter, also. I'd love to be able to hit a consistent draw. I love the look of that ball flight.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
Really great info here. Thanks for writing this up. You can read all the golf books and magazines in the world, but hearing this from a friend is very helpful. I am a straight ball hitter, also. I'd love to be able to hit a consistent draw. I love the look of that ball flight.

Yeah, sometimes I tend to go on and on on certain topics, maybe I can help a little I suppose.

Most people know that some balls are better, but they never take the time to figure out why.
(everyone knows there is a ton of variables when it comes to the golf swing)
Learning to hit a draw or fade isn't hard at all. But it takes a bit of dedication and "trust" on the tee.
Nothing sucks worse then when you line up for a draw, then end up pushing it straight that direction, and it doesn't draw as expected. I guess thats one reason I never did like the idea of always playing a fade or draw, and instead I only hit those shots when I needed a real harsh hook or slice due to trouble.

It sounds like you know whats going on for the most part, and truth be known most guys in the 15 handicap range are good golfers, and like I mentioned before, are typically only a few small "fixes" away from shooting 80 or better consistently.

As an aside, I stopped into a Walmart earlier, I live in apartments less than 1000 yards from one, how convenient right.....?
Anyway, I mentioned earlier in this thread that "Urethane" is what all the major manufacturers are putting on their more spinny premium balls.
I noticed that Walmart has TaylorMade "Rocketballz" Urethane for less than $25 a dozen.
Thats a pretty good price if in fact you can control it around the greens, and still get decent length.

I found this chart, which describes the TaylorMade line.....

If this is chart is a true reflection, then the RBZ/Rocketballz Urethane is a great value.....essentially only one notch below a true "premium" ball, and at $25 a dozen thats pretty cheap by industry standards.
(one could argue that the "Lethal" is the equivalent of the ProV1)

I did try the ProV1X balls the other day, and I mentioned I wasn't comfortable on the tee.
Well I did hit one shot on a short par 3 about 9 inches from the cup. :dance:
The ball mark landed roughly 6 inches from the pin, bounded forward 4-5 feet then sucked back to about a foot.
I mentioned the shot earlier in the thread, but not necessarily the spin.
All things equal, I haven't played a ball that gives me as much spin as some of the balls 10 years back, but from everything I'm reading its just the state of the game and where its headed.
"Drop and stop" shots with just enough spin to freeze the ball seem to be what most are looking for, and the ProV1X was decent at that.

I have read alot about the Srixon ZStar ball, and I will be trying that next.
The price is still high, but better than the ProV1s.
If its a tiny bit more spinny, then I am almost certain to start playing the Z Star's exclusively.

More later.....

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:35 pm 

Hey whit..............

Have a look at this site, its pretty interesting.
Some you likely know, but I'm betting a lot you don't know.
A little of it is slightly outdated, but its pretty interesting and will help you "understand" golf balls and how/why they react the way they do.
I'm generally not one to get overly technical, but this was kind of a fun read.

THE SCIENCE OF GOLF BALLS-

http://www.preceptgolf.com/en/scienceballs/index.htm

I believe that is roughly 1-2 years old. Now it should include "4 and 5 piece balls", but looking at the information you get the general idea.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:48 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Whew! Lots of info to catch up on...Thanks!

Already started saving my nickels and dimes for a new driver. I should have enough $$$ for one by the time my foot is ready to play on.

(Yeah, I still save for things like a little kid...there's something rewarding about it)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:45 pm 

A few notes for whit if interested............

Played yesterday on a bigger "more traditional" golf course.
Prince George golf course, is roughly a 45 minute drive from me and a friend persuaded me to go.
Its in fair shape, the greens are ok (barring a couple in "difficult areas" of the course) and the fairways aren't exactly lush but its overall a decent course.
I hadn't played it in roughly 20 years.
You can't beat the price, you can ride all 18 for only $20, and even better on a Friday mid afternoon, there was perhaps 5 groups TOTAL on the course.

My shoulder was still bothering me a tad, after the cortisone shot Wednesday, and I went back and altered my putter and added several strips of lead tape to make it heavier.
Those combined and me being essentially all over the course led me to a 90, which was likely my worst round in so long I can't remember.
Again, getting off the tee was horrific, and several times I resorted to hitting a 5 iron punched up the middle 220 or so.
(its a short course, and my senior friend wanted to play from short tees to boot)

Not many highlights, but en route to this 90, I lost one ball there was one 7 and a plethora of 6's, and so many 3 putts its hard to remember.
Hell had I putted even "so-so" I could have shot 83 easily.
Anyhow, on a short Par 5 ninth, I yank a drive onto an adjacent fairway right, and hit a long 7-iron over trees to about 10 feet and miss the eagle putt. :yack: (tap in birdie)

Anyhow, I begin to examine my swing for errors, and some of the same culprits I have battled with years ago have crept back in.
I have somehow gotten extremely closed at the top, causing me a high push or a snap hook.

Some time on the range today began to smooth some of it out.

So then (at the range) they have a par 3 short course, which is the one I started back on a few weeks ago when I started hitting again.
Today I go 30-31 for 61, and I bet I had at least 5 putts that I missed that were very close. (left a few on the edge, and I lipped out at least 2 etc)
Could have easily shot a 56-57 or better today had things gone right.

Golf is such a humbling game.
The last 2 days have reminded me how up and down it truly is, and I remembered watching pros shoot 64 one day in tourneys, then the next day shooting 78. :ROTF:

My putter feels odd, after adding this weight, but I know its the right thing....it was inconsistent yesterday, but today started to feel much better.
In the last 10-15 years the trend has went towards heavier putters, and no doubt its to help alignment and accuracy on 2-3 footers.

I have a Ping Anser that I got in high school, and I like it quite a bit, although its pretty damn light. (which is why I chose to add lead tape) Its a classic~!

Though mine is left handed.

I really questioned myself last night, if I wanted to keep playing again. :oops:
But after correcting some issues today, I think I will stick with it. I'm just not one of those guys that can be happy NOT playing near as well as I know I can, if you get my drift.

But there are 2 things I am positive I am going to do, if I continue to play again.
#1- Get a good reputable fitter and get fitted and acquire some new irons.

#2- Get a few lessons.

I have read so much saying how the public is so quick to "jump on the next hot new driver FIX" and they think they can just buy a game miraculously.
But I also know to be serious about it, you should get lessons, and thats something I think I am going to do, if nothing else it will help me get back down to the sub-80 mark faster.
There is someone here local and I can get 3 sessions for like $145, and I think I will do that soon.

Chipped a few today with the Srixons, and they felt extremely similar to the ProV1X's.
Unfortunately I played the ProV1X today, and didn't use the Srixons explicitly, and I will do that this week and give you more feedback.
FWIW- they seemed to check up damn close and comparable to the ProV's green side on the few shots I hit around a practice green.
I will try using them on more mid irons and chips and putting next time I play the Par 3, and I will have some better feedback soon.
I do think I will end up using these Srixons as my go-to ball soon though.

I have been using Callaway Hex Chrome recently and they check up "fair", but they do get a bit more distance than the ProV's.
I do think they are being closed out, so thats a decent ball to try too and if you watch your local Dick's Sporting Goods, or online shops, you are bound to get a decent price soon.
I think I paid roughly $30 for a dozen recently.

More soon.....

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:46 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I play mediocre to crappy golf most of the time, but I love the game anyway. I have learned to try to fix what I can and have also learned to really enjoy the good shots and forget the bad, remembering that I am not a pro. What do I expect playing only once a week?

You have to enjoy your time on the course. Appreciate the course design and the fact that you are outside on a lovely piece of land.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:34 am 

whitsbrain wrote:
I play mediocre to crappy golf most of the time, but I love the game anyway. I have learned to try to fix what I can and have also learned to really enjoy the good shots and forget the bad, remembering that I am not a pro. What do I expect playing only once a week?

You have to enjoy your time on the course. Appreciate the course design and the fact that you are outside on a lovely piece of land.

Of course.
Its a tremendous "lightening of the burden on your shoulders" when you go out for a round.
Most of society is put on the back burner while you are "away playing".
(this also pisses people off when people are on the course standing around yapping on the cell phone)

There was a tremendous thread on a golf board I was at recently, where they were discussing how society has changed, and in turn it has affected golf and how its played/enjoyed.
It often has come to a point where people DO NOT want to be partnered with strangers, and one poster brought up many studies, and explained how this all started to change in the 1960's and people have trended towards staying to themselves etc.
And focusing on themselves......
It goes back to this "me, me, me" society I have talked about before and its gotten worse over the years.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the game and always will. Its infectious, and thats putting it politely.

I do tend to get down in the mouth when I go out and shoot 90+, but thats only because I know I am capable of much better.
I may have thought I could just take the game back up and immediately go back to 80 and sub-80 scores, but I was possibly expecting too much a bit too quickly.

Either that or maybe I'm just getting old. :ROTF:

And BTW- if you are roughly a 16 handicap (I think thats what you mentioned) , you are NOT a bad golfer.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:06 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Thanks for the complement. My goal is to break 80 and I've gotten close so until that happens, I will continue to deride myself.

I don't like to golf with strangers because half the time they are doing stupid shite like yakking on the phone.

I do use my cell phone to track my score (I enter the strokes and putts and it keeps track of GIR). Plus, I track if I'm left, right or hit the fairways. It's a golf app and it has been useful because it showed my over 20 rounds that my biggest problem was hitting greens, not driver off the tee.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:06 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
Thanks for the complement. My goal is to break 80 and I've gotten close so until that happens, I will continue to deride myself.

I don't like to golf with strangers because half the time they are doing stupid shite like yakking on the phone.

I do use my cell phone to track my score (I enter the strokes and putts and it keeps track of GIR). Plus, I track if I'm left, right or hit the fairways. It's a golf app and it has been useful because it showed my over 20 rounds that my biggest problem was hitting greens, not driver off the tee.

You may use your phone, and I'm sure you know but I'm mostly referring to the idiots who stand around actually talking on the phone, and it slows everything down. (not some useful app, and I'm sure there are tons of those out now)

Playing with others (strangers??) can be and is often fun. I am not so inclined to do so now though, but did a fair amount when I was younger.
Now this is going to sound a little conceited, but I can only remember playing a handful of rounds over the years, even when I was in high school, when I was partnered with guys who were significantly better than I.
(bear with me, there is a point to all this)
There was 1-2 occasions where I was partnered with 2 guys, and they were approximately 3 or 4 shots better than I, and that was generally because they were on the fairway and I wasn't often....but the difference of only 3-4 shots a round is very little.

One time in particular, I was paired with a guy on an "expensive course" in an exclusive part of town (when I was in high school also) and this guy was approximately scratch. He may have been a 1 or 2 handicap, but you get the picture.
This was alot of fun, and I wish I was paired with him now, as I would have learned a bit more, than from my days as a youngster playing.
So I know firsthand that playing with someone around scratch is very cool, because you can see "where they beat you", if you know what I mean.
FWIW- I shot around an 81 that day, with a load of 3 putts. He was very nice, and said "you actually play pretty well, you just need to eliminate the 3 putts".
I had never played on a course with greens anywhere near that fast, and it was a foreign experience for me LOL.
I do remember him hitting damn near every green in regulation, and he played a rather boring game actually. Right down the middle, onto the middle of the green or on the fringe, and 2 putting most every hole for about a 72-73.
(this is rather funny, but my 73s and 74s back then were actually much more exciting, getting up and down a ton for par, and often playing from the treeline etc :ROTF: )

Another time, I was placed into a threesome with some real hackers, and they had to shoot somewhere around the 120 or worse range. These were possibly the worst golfers I had ever seen honestly.....and I happened to be friends with one of the guys brothers, as a coincidence.
We made it to my 3rd shot on the very first hole ( par 5) and they said "look, you are a nice guy but we would rather you just go ahead of us". Some of these guys were laying 6-7 or more by this point.
They just didn't want to play with someone not near their ability I suppose.

I can see both sides, but as time has went on, it just seems like more and more courses have groups of 2 and 3, and even singles.
I notice a difference since I was younger, when roughly 25+ years ago the courses seemed to have mostly threesomes and foursomes.
Now you get a mix of everything, and I don't see that many groups of 4 at all anymore honestly.

I also remember seeing a woman on the course years ago, I must have been about 15 years old. (now keep in mind I was on a short "dirt track" public course, women were rarely seen, but they were more prevalent on country club courses etc) Women are on the course much more often now.
She and presumably her husband or partner approached the first tee, and several of us were sitting there waiting.
A twosome was going off and the woman politely asked "there are a few groups behind, do you mind if we join to speed things up?".....
One of the two teeing off said "Umm, I don't think so, you are only going to slow us down", and the other in that twosome muttered something about "no women" or some such bullshit.
Well you know how that goes, the first two were complete duffers and it took them 5-6 to make the first green.
Now the woman and her partner were as you might have guessed actually very good.
The woman wasn't very long, but was about 160 right down the middle. In fact I saw her hit about 6-7 shots that day, and each one was exactly the same, RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE.
Along about hole 4, the first group of duffers must have seen what was happening, and they ultimately let her play through. :dance: :dance:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:39 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I played in a LPGA Pro-Am once. Man, those women were good.

Mistakes kill scores. I've played with old dudes who had no distance but hit it straight as an arrow. They almost always beat me.

I'll have my eyes on the U.S. Open this weekend. I love Golf's Major events. I am pulling for a kid named Clayton Rask who is currently at +3. He is a brother of my son's friend and he qualified for the first time this year. What an experience that would be! Outside of him, I guess I'd like to see Jason Dufner, Dustin Johnson, Ernie Els, Jordan Spieth, Adam Scott and of course, Phil Mickelson do well.

BTW, I'm getting the 2 pins taken out of my foot on July 3rd and after that, they said I could start lightly walking on it. I don't see me golfing until late July at the earliest. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:40 pm 

OK whit, because I know you are itching to get out there, I'm going to go through a (long winded???) post, and let you ..............

PLAY A ROUND OF GOLF WITH TZ DZ FAN :dance:

Maybe when you get back into it, you will do a similar post, not only is this interesting, but it may help each one of us examine our game, and possibly improve.

I'll use a recent round at a local "First Tee". All 18 holes from memory and the scorecard I saved, and a short description of what happened at least the best I can remember.
Remember, these courses are a bit shorter than typical courses, and I play with a guy that likes to play from the Senior tees.
(some holes were just too short, so we played from the men's/whites on those)
I won't give exact yardages on all holes, maybe a few just for kicks, and I will try to give you a brief description of how I played.

HOLE 1- Par 3, 118 yards.
We split a small bucket of balls on the range and chipped and putted so we were "fairly warmed up". But I tend to go easy the first hole or two.
I hit a very easy 9 iron. I let a bit too much off of it, as I was about 10 yards off the front. (this is actually misleading, as I can hit a 9 iron 140 or so when primed up :) ) Simply put I babied it, and left it short.
So I get a lob wedge out, and punch it up and it checks about 4 feet from the pin.
Make the putt for a sound 3.

HOLE 2- Par 3, 130 yards. Now feeling a bit more loose, I hit the same 9 iron, this time more solidly and I pull it off the back right. (I play left handed, so a pull (or hook/draw)for me is to the right)
I'm on a big crown about 8 feet above the green, and am about 25 yards from the pin.
Another lob wedge that I leave a little short, but it rolls out to about 6 feet.
I then drain the downhill putt for another 3.

HOLE 3- Short Par 4, roughly 290. Slight dogleg right, so not as easy as you may think.
I hit a 4 iron snap hooked off into the right treeline, and I am sitting on pinebark.
I have roughly 80 yards to the hole, and I punch a pitching wedge , it takes one hop and stops at about 3 feet~!
At this point my buddy starts bitching and mumbling something along the line of "I was in the damn middle of the fairway, you were in the woods and I have no chance to win". LOL
I then tap the 3 footer in, for a birdie 3.
The short game wizard has apparently showed up today. :ROTF:

HOLE 4- Par 3 , 145 slightly downhill, bunkers almost all around the green. Another 9 iron, and I find the right bunker, pin high to the right.
I blast out, but leave it about 12 feet above the hole and 2 putt for bogey.
Sooner or later the "up and downs" cease.
Oh well, even after 4.

HOLE 5-Short par 5, of about 400 yards. Not as easy as it sounds, its a narrow fairway with a severe dropoff right, and woods left.
I again hit a 3 iron, as I'm not getting off the tee well. Another snap hook down in the bottom on the right.
I find my ball, terrible lie so I punch a 5 iron about 120 up the middle.
I have to lay up since there is a creek running the fairway closer to the green.
I remember hitting an easy 9 iron to the back right edge, leaving an awfully long sidehill putt of perhaps 60 feet.
Three putt 6. :yack:

HOLE 6- Yet another very slender fairway, and a dogleg right. Maybe 285 yards.
I absolutely brutalize a poorly hit 5 iron on the tee into the woods on the left.
Only have a few feet to punch out lowly under the branches, but I get a 3 iron and punch it dead towards the green but its a bit short.
I then hit a lob wedge to about 15 feet and 2 putt for another bogey.
At this point, it was extremely hot, it was about 2 pm and 95 degrees and awfully muggy.
I was getting dizzy and me and my partner contemplated going in, but opted to sit in the shade for a few and soldier on.

HOLE 7- Very short Par 3, about 90 yards. Green is very narrow though, steep hill on the right, and it falls off to the left to a creek. The pin is close to the left edge, and I "gamble" going right at the pin, but push it just off the left and its down close to the water.
I hit a lob wedge pretty good (so I thought) but when I got back up to green level, I was on the fringe..... 15 feet away.
I then pitch it in for a slick 3. :clap:

HOLE 8- Another short Par 3, about 115. Its slightly downhill, and I hit about a 3/4 wedge that appeared to be "all over it". Instead I needed one more wheatie that morning, :) and I was on the fringe about 15 feet short of the hole.
I calmly 2 putt for another 3.

HOLE 9- Short Par 5, but trouble everywhere. Water and trees left if you go far enough, and OB right.
I hit a 5 iron, and yet again its an awful shot, and I'm in the trees left.
Then I get a bit greedy and try and hit a miracle shot, got under it and it got up in the trees then came right down.
Oh well, now its time to take the medicine. I have nothing now but can just pitch out to the fairway.
So I punch to the middle, then hit my 4th shot from about 215, and I yet again pull a 4 iron and am in the trees right.
Not much clearance, but I punch out over a bunker to the back of the green.
Then I 2 putt from 30 feet for a 7. :|

After 9 its par 33 and I'm sitting at a 4 over 37. (with a 7 and 6 included) and realistically I'm scoring well, but I am all over the damn course.

HOLE 10- Par 3, 143 yards. Bunkers around most of the green.
I push an easy 7 iron to the left. I hit a lob wedge to about 10 feet then 2 putt for a bogey.

HOLE 11- This hole is very similar to hole 3, and I played it almost identical. :twisted:
Sharper dogleg right, its a short Par 4. I snap hook a 5 iron into the treeline right, but I have a shot out.
I punch a wedge from about 70 yards under the trees to 3 feet, then make the birdie putt.
The wizard has returned~! :ROTF:

HOLE 12- Par 3, 135 yards.
I hit a 9 iron to the back right fringe, then get up and down for another par.

HOLE 13- Par 4, 310 yards.
Yet again struggling off the tee, I hit a 5 iron off the tee right, into a fairway bunker. I'm about 110 out with a terrible lie.
I get a 7 iron, and try and advance it as best I could, and I leave it about 30 yards short of the green, right in the fairway. Not a bad result from a tough situation. I then hit a lob wedge about 12 feet past the hole onto a crown, then two putt back for a 5.

HOLE 14- Short Par 3,about 110 yards with mounds all around the green. I push a wedge left, then chip onto the green about 20 feet away from the hole and 2 putt.

HOLE 15- Similar short Par 3, about 125 yards, with a sharp falloff on the right side. Of course I pull a wedge there, and fear I might have even lost my ball, its trouble there, a fence and OB too.
It hung up enough, I pitch up the hill to the fringe, then 2 putt for another 4.

HOLE 16-Par 5, and a very short one, but theres problems. A ravine off the tee (that you can play out off)to an uphill fairway, woods left, and woods right.
I finally hit a good tee shot down the middle with a 3 iron. I suppose I had about 190 left, and I pushed a 4 iron into the trees left.
I am absolutely in jail here, I can get out, but branches overhead, a bunker in front and the green slopes away. I scoop a lob wedge to the right front edge, and the guy I played with said "thats about the damn best you can do from there".
I then 2 putt from 40 feet for a Par 5.
Another wasted opportunity.

HOLE 17-Another short Par 4, but its deceiving. Only about 250, but trouble everywhere that pretty much forces you to hit the middle of the fairway. Trees right, a ravine in front and OB/woods left.
Well I manage to snap hook yet another 5 iron to the right treeline.
I have about 4 feet to play "under" branches, then a big mound in front of the green.
So I take a 3 iron, punch it under the branches, about 50 yards into the mound, it bounces up onto the fringe.
Very nice shot honestly. I doubt I could have thrown it any better, even if there were no trees.
I then get up and down for another ugly par 4. 8)

HOLE 18- Short Par 4 of about 280, but a massive "ground under repair" area about 220 out, all across the fairway.
I hit a 5 iron right into it actually, and take my free drop back a few yards out of the repair area.
I then hit a pitching wedge what I thought was damn near perfect, but it landed right on a downslope in front of the green and bounded about 25 feet past the hole. Two putts for par and a 36 on the back.

This adds up to a 73, on a Par 66 (albeit easy and short) course.
And as my buddy said, you could have easily been 5+ shots better.

Years back when I was playing better, I did in fact bogey the last hole to shoot an even par 66 out here.
I need to get back on the range, and try and get my longer shots back under control.
Not getting off the tee is killing me and its basically a scramble fest.

All in all, not great, but better than the putrid 90 I put up last week at a much longer course.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:43 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Good recall. I hope you didn't take notes out of sympathy fro me. This was fun to read and it sounds like you played well. You'll have to get out to a 6800-7000 yard course and see how it goes.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:44 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
Good recall. I hope you didn't take notes out of sympathy fro me. This was fun to read and it sounds like you played well. You'll have to get out to a 6800-7000 yard course and see how it goes.

Nah I didn't take any notes or anything, but I have the scorecard here, and I can look back and recall most of what happened during a round.
I was going to start tracking my score, and handicap myself over the course of the next 7-8 rounds, but my game is most likely in a "state of transition".
Meaning - After taking it "back up" again, my scores typically drop a fair amount, and they should do so in short order.
In other words, I could very well have a 17 handicap for a month, then have it drop right on down to a 9 or better, depending on how much I practice and how well my shoulders are holding up, which honestly the last couple days is NOT SO WELL.
The weather this week or so here is going to be 95 + with awful humidity, so I doubt I will play much this week.
I *may* go out early Friday morning to partake in a gambling match proposed by a friend (he and I vs. 2 others), but that all depends on how late we play poker Thursday night.

I did have that round the other day at the bigger course, and I shot a 90, with so many three putts I can't even remember.
But it was the same story, all over the course there too, especially off the tee.
I have battled certain alignment issues for years, so I'm not fazed by this. Once I get it mostly sorted, my scores drop quickly but this is what all golfers say I guess. :)

A bit more background - I remember right when I first started (though not very well) I recall scoring right around 100, when I first went out to play.
That first summer I stayed right around 100, but many times breaking 50 for 9 holes.
I also remember the first time I ever broke 40 for 9 holes too, that was in high school. Oddly enough, it was on the back side of a tight course, and I shot a 37.
I remember things like that, but I can't remember a meal on a certain day from last week. :ROTF:
I also remember some terrible rounds, and a few were in high school matches.
I also went to a playoff in my senior year of high school, in our state qualifier.
We played a course called Mill Quarter Plantation (I'm sure they have a website). If I qualified, then I would have went on to a state tourney.
I shot an 83 that day, and probably had about 6-7 three putts. It was a fairly difficult course, and in fact there was a PGA event there in the early 70's . It was the first time I had ever played that course, and didn't have any clue of what it was like.
2 of us tied exactly on the cutoff number of 83.

Anyhow, in the playoff, I hit into a bunker off the tee, then hit my approach to the front fringe.
Then I hit a chip exactly how I wanted, but it released and went about 15 feet past.
The other guy 2 putted for par after I 2 putted and that was that.

Funny how I can remember some things that are essentially irrelevant, and the important shite I tend to block out completely. :dance:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:07 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

How's your golf game shaping up? My golf life is being vicariously lived through you right now (although my big toe pins get removed on Thursday).