Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:20 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

They had a pretty good documentary on the UFC on CNBC last night, but it focused too much on the business and not enough on the actual history of the organization and its key fighters and stars like Chuck Lidell, The Gracies, Ken and Frank Shamrock, Dan Severn, Mark Coleman, Pat Milletich, Don Frye, Marco Ruas or Matt Hughes. They did at least try to talk to Randy Couture, but he didn't seem interested. What the hell happened with him and Dana White anyway, they made it sound like he just left for no reason. Did Randy feel he was done with fighting or was there some kind of dispute over money? I know he retired after UFC 57, but then he came back for a while and just left and I think he was even heavyweight champ when he left. He pulled the same thing when he became the first UFC Heavyweight Champion in an earlier UFC and then just elected not to defend the title, so it became vacant and the top 2 contenders competed to crown a new champion at that time. So what's the deal with this Couture guy anyway? Is he temperamental, greedy, or just plain flaky?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:35 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

i did attend UFC III and UFC V that was held in charlotte,nc back in '93 and '94, i think were the years. i loved them. but that was then. after that, i never saw anymore PPV's and since then, everybody i know is out of it and i have no clue who anybody is (well, i know reps and such from reading my wrestling newsletter). i just can't get into it, nor have i given it a chance since they got on SPIKE. my attention span just keeps me from wanting to sit still and watch it.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:05 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well the fights are shorter these days, so the UFC seems to favor the short attention span types now. You should check it out on Spike or on DVD.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:44 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I watch PRIDE. It kicks ass

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:34 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
I watch PRIDE....it kicks ass

On pay per view? I watch it on Fox Sports Net. The other day I saw the match that Quinton "Rampage" Jackson won by pretty much doing a powerbomb on his opponent, it was pretty impressive. You think Chuck Lidell will rematch Jackson and if he does, will Lidell win or would Jackson win again?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:36 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
I watch PRIDE....it kicks ass

That's slightly different right? I heard that they have a ten minute round and then a five minute round, from what I saw, is that right? I also heard Pride is where Kasushi Sakuraba beat Royce and just about all the other Gracie brothers, you see any of those matches?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:13 am 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

Me and a few folks from work regularly go to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the UFC pay per view broadcasts. I don't know all the fighters, or the differences between UFC and Pride and any of those other extreme fighting things, but it's still entertaining to watch.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:56 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

you watch PRIDE?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:34 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Nope. So you see any of those Gracie matches with Sakuraba? What did you think? And I think the rules are pretty much the same in all of them, except for how long the rounds are.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:58 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I've got UFC 21-30 on the way from Ebay. Now I just need 31-38 and the boxed sets of 39/40 and the Lidell/Couture Trilogy Four Disc set. Hopefully, in a few months, I will have those as well and then start ordering then one at a time about once a week or every two weeks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:58 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Wow this latest UFC fight night kinda sucked ass. About 3 good matches, the main event blew monkey ass. Hey, those of you who watch the pay per views, let us know what happens in the fight between Frank Mir and Brock Lesnar?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:33 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

from my understanding, UFC bought PRIDE a few months ago.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:44 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:06 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well that depends on how well he knows the guard and how to pass the guard when in the top position. He's got the college wrestling background, so he should be able to score a takedown or two. It also depends on how well he was learned submissions, how to sinch them on and how to escape them, because Frank Mir tapped out Tank Abbot in UFC 41 pretty fast and snapped Tim Sylvia's arm like a twig and is used to submission fighting in Brazil, so Brock should have his work cut out for him.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:48 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Anyone watching UFC Fight Night 14 tonight or that MMA pay per view called Affliction-Banned?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:55 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Almost all caught up watching my UFC DVDs. I just have to watch UFCs 82, 83 and 84. The highlights for me of the more recent fights have been Quinton "Rampage" Jackson knocking out Chuck Lidell, then Lidell losing a split decision to Keith Jardine, coming back to beat Vanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva. I haven't seen it yet because it hasn't been released on DVD yet, but I heard Rashad Evans knocked out Lidell in UFC 88. Other great fights were another favorite of mine, Frank Mir, beating Brock Lesnar by tapout with a great kneebar and Randy Couture making a comeback to beat Tim Sylvia for the UFC Heavyweight Championship.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:40 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Wow, I finally got a chance to see UFC 86 on DVD, where Forest Griffin beat Rampage Jackson for the light heavyweight title. I guess anyone really can be beat...eventually. I also heard Elite XC went under. I wasn't a big fan of Kimbo Slice anyway, but the women's fights were pretty damn exciting, especially Gina "Conviction" Carano (aka Crush on American Gladiators and dubbed the face of women's MMA) and Shayna Baszler whose wins were all by submission. And they were going to have Carano fight Christiane Cyborg Santos too, which would've been a slugfest. I guess Ken Shamrock will have to find someone else to beat up on, maybe his adopted brother Frank, but that definitely wouldn't be an easy fight for Ken.

Dana White should take this opportunity to start bringing in some female MMA fighters, I think only Strikeforce has women now, maybe Bodog Fights, if they're still around.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

The only time to watch Kimbo "I got knocked out in 14 seconds by a REPLACEMENT for Ken Shamrock" Slice is when you accidentally stumble upon a crappy street hes been in on youtube

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:40 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I don`t watch these mentioned, but i have watched some of k1 on Eurosport before. I am also a big fan of martial arts films. I have some films where they use MMA techniques like for example Flashpoint and Undisputed 2.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:45 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

UFC is at the top of its game right now...

they have released a video game....have passed 100 pay per views...and seem to be going strong. Where is anthony to talk mma with me when I need him.

Brock Lesnar is still the Heavyweight champion of the world and looks to be injured though so I hope he comes back soon to defend the belt.

One thing I do dislike about the new UFC is the getting rid of the tournament format. Thats what really made these guys stand out...to be able to fight 3 brutal dangerous fights in a row with the potential to be killed. awesome stuff....to bad they dont do them anymore.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:10 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah nice arm triangle choke by Lesnar to retain the title. Funny since when he lost to Frank Mir after UFC 88 he said submission was a lousy way to win. :o

And also Anderson Silva pulls off the nice triangle choke in the fifth and final round to retain the middleweight title after he was getting his ass beat for 4 rounds.

Looks like DREAM has become the big MMA promotion in Japan since Pride is no longer around. Kind of like with wrestling, there's always the big 2 or 3 major promotions and the rest are smaller, regional promotions. Also, like wrestling, the UFC is the biggest and most popular, best known one, like WWE, but, much like WWE and WWF back in the day, is not the most respected by hardcore fans. Years ago, Pride was more beloved and well respected, now it's DREAM and Strikeforce. Kind of like how in wrestling, most hardcore fans preferred NWA's Jim Crockett Promotions, because they thought it had the better, you know, WRESTLING and less hype jobs or even now how TNA is more liked and respected by a lot of wrestling fans than WWE.

Speaking of Strikeforce, Fedor Emilianenko, known simply as Fedor, got his first real loss to Fabricio Werdum. Fedor made a rookie mistake too, getting into a BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) black belt's guard. I hope Fedor can get a rematch and beat Werdum. Looks like Werdum now will get a shot at Allistair Overeem's heavyweight title. Hopefully, Fedor can win his next fight and then take on Werdum and then fight for the title.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:48 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I saw both PPVs. UFc116 and 117 THe Brock/Carwin fight was probably the best fight in terms of making Brock look like the true champion that he is. UFC 117 was probably the best card of the year with all the Brazil vs. USA matches it really made it stand out. The main event was a let down but I almost saw this playing out in my head with CHael tapping like he always does. Anderson Silva proves he is probably one of the greatest of all time. Time will tell if he ever loses in the UFC.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'd say he's probably the greatest of all time because his striking is slighly more well rounded from what I've seen of Anderson Silva and Fedor. Silva does Muay Thai, which included all striking, especially those deadly knees to the face. Fedor usually knocks out an opponent with a punch, sometimes a head kick. I still think Fedor is awesome though. Did you see his match with Werdum? I couldn't believe he just went right back into Werdum's guard like that, hopefully he learns from that mistake. I hate it when people try to diminish Fedor's career because he's never competed in the UFC. The guy still beat two former UFC heavyweight champions and when they were still good and contenders. He beat Tim Sylvia by tapout in 36 second with a choke hold and KOed Andre Arlovski, or what they call now on the boxing scene message board KTFO for knocked the f#$k out. But some fans just want to believe Dana White's lies and bullshit putting down of Fedor because he's not in the UFC.

What would you say you guys' favorite MMA fighters of all-time are? My favorite is still Royce Gracie. I thought it was amazing what that little guy could do in his prime, even if he was far ahead of most of his competition in skill level, that was the era he competed in. The only guys that really owned Royce were Kazushi Sakuraba, who also beat just about every other Gracie and only lost twice to them, once in the rematch with Royce and both by decision, the first of which was a 90 minute 15 minute round a piece marathon in Pride and Matt Hughes, who handed Royce's ass to him in UFC 60 with a major beatdown and TKO win. Hughes had Royce in a kimura armlock before finally letting go of it, because the Gracies would rather let a bone break than tap out.

I just heard Rany Couture beat James Toney by arm triangle choke submission, the same kind of hold Brock used against Carwin. This one happened at 3:19 of Round 1. I'm kind of glad this happened because if Toney had won, so many boxers and boxing fans would be discrediting and putting down MMA, saying it's easy or not a real sport if some boxer can come in and beat a legend his first time out. At least now boxing fans that don't like MMA will shut the hell up about that for a bit now. Anybody watch UFC 118 last night?

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:22 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Anyone else here watchingt UFC Fight Night this Wednesday on Spike?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:57 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Anthony wrote:
Anyone else here watchingt UFC Fight Night this Wednesday on Spike?

I never miss a show or ppv these days. Its also the premiere of the new Ultimate Fighter GSP vs. Koscheck

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So Anderson Silva is set to defend the middleweight title against Vitor Belfort, another all-time great IMO. Who do you guys pick? I say Silva by TKO. If I had to pick a round, I'd say probably the 3rd, maybe 4th.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:18 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So SVB, you planning on watching Silva/Belfort? Also, Fedor is set to return to action this month in some kind of Strikeforce heavyweight tournament. I pick Fedor to win by brutal KO Round 1.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:32 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I actually will not be able to see it at home because I dont have the cable provider anymore, but I will certainly try at friend's houses this saturday. UFC126 is looking like the best card since the last time Silva was on ppv, 117. Card is stacked from top to bottom, cant wait. I will see it sat or in the future, but I wont miss it. I expect Silva to win as always, Forrest to pull out a win, and Bones Jones will continue to be unstoppable.

The strikeforce tournament looks awesome, but it is not for the Heavyweight title. Seems kind of pointless, not to mention that its not really a tournament to me unless they go at it all night like the original UFC ones.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:35 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Anthony wrote:
So Anderson Silva is set to defend the middleweight title against Vitor Belfort, another all-time great IMO. Who do you guys pick? I say Silva by TKO. If I had to pick a round, I'd say probably the 3rd, maybe 4th.

Silva by Submission, probably 4th of 5th hes always tapping out other brazilians, and knocking americans out. That...or I see this going to decision. I would be pleasantly surprised if Vitor wins by KO.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:48 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

What about Fedor vs. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva next week? It's the first round of some kind of heavyweight Grand Prix, whatever that means. I say Fedor comes back from his first REAL career loss with a brutal KO or TKO, I'll say 1st round, maybe 2nd. And yeah you're right, Anderson does tend to tap out other Brazilians. I love how he reverses from full guard to full mount with that body triangle he does from the bottom.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Anthony wrote:
What about Fedor vs. Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva next week? It's the first round of some kind of heavyweight Grand Prix, whatever that means. I say Fedor comes back from his first REAL career loss with a brutal KO or TKO, I'll say 1st round, maybe 2nd. And yeah you're right, Anderson does tend to tap out other Brazilians. I love how he reverses from full guard to full mount with that body triangle he does from the bottom.

I didnt see the card but I saw the results. Fedor vs. Antonio Silva looks awesome

Well from last night Anderson Silva wins by KO over Belfort with an amazing face kick, sickest knockdown/knockout of the past year. Forrest Wins by decision, and Bones Jones earns the title shot in two months win a win over bader, now that Rashad is out. I hope he beats Rua.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So Fedor loses again. This is considered only his second legit loss after a dominant 10 year career. This time he wasn't caught in a submission, he was beaten down and TKOd. He mentioned considering retirement afterward. So do you think that the best fighter in the short history of mixed martial arts is ready to finally call it quits? I wouldn't blame him if he did, he's had a great career. And if he decides to fight again, I'd watch him compete. I just hope if Fedor continues, this isn't the start of some downward slide. Alistair Overeem seems like a huge favorite to win this heavyweight tournament in Strikeforce now. What's this tournament about anyway? Does the winner become the new heavyweight champion or does he just become the number 1 contender?

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:05 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I would hope for at least a one fight deal for the UFC. Retirement after 2 losses? Dont be like Chuck Liddel with like 5 straight KO losses....at least end the career with a win.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:56 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah, that would be cool, if he could go out with a win. It would have to be a matchup against someone who doesn't have as much of a height or weight advantage over Fedor, like this Antonio Bigfoot Silva guy. Does Strikeforce even have weight limits at heavyweight?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:06 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I think they just use the same style as Pride....like heavyweight and then anything past a certain weight is considered super heavyweight....who knows not positive.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:05 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

StillValleyBard wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Silva by Submission, probably 4th of 5th hes always tapping out other brazilians, and knocking americans out. That...or I see this going to decision. I would be pleasantly surprised if Vitor wins by KO.

Finally watched this recently on DVD. Nice TKO win for Silva. Guy has such long legs he lands a front kick to Belfort's face, when guys usually do front kicks to the body. I like when Joe Rogan said Mr. Miyagi would be proud.

Now I just have to wait until August to watch Frank Mir's latest fight. I wonder if he'll ever get a shot at the title. I'd like to see him win it and then defend it at least once.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:41 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Anthony wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Finally watched this recently on DVD. Nice TKO win for Silva. Guy has such long legs he lands a front kick to Belfort's face, when guys usually do front kicks to the body. I like when Joe Rogan said Mr. Miyagi would be proud.

Now I just have to wait until August to watch Frank Mir's latest fight. I wonder if he'll ever get a shot at the title. I'd like to see him win it and then defend it at least once.

Frank Mir has been pretty much unimpressive in his last couple of fights, including Roy Nelson, Mirko Cro Cop, etc. He's going to have to get a few good KO or TKO wins in great fashion if he expects a title shot in the next year or two. But he is still a top contender ...so who knows. Maybe him against Brock for a third time might be his ticket to the title shot.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:03 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah I hope so, as long as he could do it. I mean, Dana White seems to give plenty of shots to boring ass lay and pray wrestlers, so why not Mir? Anyway, who do you have in the Fedor/Henderson fight? Both guys have had some nice brutal KO wins in their careers, so I'm looking forward to that one. I'm still going to pick Fedor though and hope I'm right.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:58 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Fedor decision or submission (fingers crossed) Nothing against Dan or anything, but Fedor needs a win bad.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:13 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Ever heard of M-1 Challenge? I'm hearing their fights have been more exciting than the UFC lately. I also hear Bellator is really good. A lot of their shows have tournament fights, where each round of the tournament is on different shows. I know you said you prefer the old school win 3 or 4 fights in one day way, but that can often lead to disappointing finishes, when some of these fights' winners get injured and alternates end up winning tournaments. I mean, how much did UFC 3 suck? Everyone wanted to see a Royce Gracie/Ken Shamrock final and we got stuck with Steve Jennum vs. Harold Howard. Speaking of which, I highly recommend Ultimate Royce Gracie. It's not only a bio of Royce, but of Gracie/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and how for decades Helio and his brothers proved the effectiveness of their martial art, where they learned it and how it led to the birth of the UFC. It even has almost all of Royce's fights. Only his 2 K-1 MMA fights are missing.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:29 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well Fedor blew it. I think he's done. I hope he retires, but I have a feeling he'll fight again. He didn't seem satisfied with how the stoppage went against Henderson. At least there's some good Anderson Silva and GSP fights coming up.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:17 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Anthony wrote:
Well Fedor blew it. I think he's done. I hope he retires, but I have a feeling he'll fight again. He didn't seem satisfied with how the stoppage went against Henderson. At least there's some good Anderson Silva and GSP fights coming up.

Not to mention Overeem signing with UFC. The 5 round Non-title fight between him and Brock Lesnar for #1 Contender spot is looking f@%king awesome.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:05 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Brock's fighting Overeem? When? Seems like a bad matchup for Brock. Overeem's a great striker, has even competed in K-1. In fact, hasn't he even won at least one kickboxing tournament there? Anyway, Brock has trouble with good strikers that he has trouble taking down. Case in point, his trouble with Shane Carwin before he gassed out in the second round and his last fight with Cain Velasquez. And if Overeem has good takedown defense, Brock kind of seems screwed. Good I say, I don't really like him anyway. Overeem seems to get better with age. Definitely not the same guy that Chuck Lidell beat years ago.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

As expected, Overeem destroyed Lesnar in the first round by TKO. Lesnar announced his retirement and Frank Mir is back to his winning ways. He was hurt by Nogueira, but when Rodrigo went for the submission, Mir grabs an arm, catches a kimura and one snap later becomes the first guy to ever submit Big Nog. I hope he gets a shot at a contender now, maybe Velasquez.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Oh man, just saw the UFC 140 main card fights. Great submisssion win for Frank Mir, now not only the first guy to TKO Big Nog, but now the only guy to submit him as well and Minotauro didn't tap, until his elbow broke, to his credit. Man, that was brutal. Plus, Jon Jones chokes out Lyoto Machida with a standing guillotine, beautifully executed. Some people like seeing touchdowns or home runs or big baskets, fast breaks, I like either a knockout or stoppage or a well executed submission. It's a thing of beauty when done right, like a work of art. Must be why it's called martial arts.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:59 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So Chael Sonnen wins on the UFC on Fox 2 show so now he gets another shot at Silva for the middleweight title. I hope Silva is completely healthy this time because I want him to win again and in more quick and easy fashion so he can shut Sonnen's big mouth up for good. This guy has to be the least likeable MMA fighter since Tito Ortiz.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:02 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Anthony wrote:
So Chael Sonnen wins on the UFC on Fox 2 show so now he gets another shot at Silva for the middleweight title. I hope Silva is completely healthy this time because I want him to win again and in more quick and easy fashion so he can shut Sonnen's big mouth up for good. This guy has to be the least likeable MMA fighter since Tito Ortiz.

Gotta love Sonnen...dude is the man. Hes a loud mouth annoying sonofabitch who pisses everybody off, thus makin for more enjoyable fights because you either want him to win or want him to lose..bad. It would be nice to see the Middleweight title come home to america though. Sonnen puts asses in the seats regardless....I actually kind of hope he wins in the rematch, that way nobody can say Silva was toying with him for five rounds and submitting him with a minute to go on purpose to humiliate him. Or the fact that Sonnen was called out for the whole supplement/steroid issue whatever it was that got him suspended after that fight. Either way its going to be an amazing rematch. I havent really decided who to route for yet because I like both fights.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:14 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I don't like Sonnen at all. I'll only be watching this fight because I'm an Anderson Silva fan. Other than that, I'll be looking forward to finding out if GSP will be the same when he returns from his injury to defend the UFC welterweight title. Oh and a great women's match recently with Ronda Rousey beating Miesha Tate for the bantamweight title in Strikeforce by armbar submission in round 1. Rousey is 5-0 so far and has won all of her first 5 fights by armbar submission. She's considered a top judo practitioner and I'll be looking forward to see how long she can hold onto the title. The UFC needs to start bringing in the women and letting other champions fight in the UFC, like they almost did years ago with the Pride champions to prove who are truly the best. Fighters like Rousey and Tate are a step in the right direction. Cyborg testing positive for steroids and Carano's leave of absence to do movies has hurt the progress of women's MMA. I hope it continues to grow and advance though, as the women are usually very exciting.

Just watched this fight again and the buildup and post fight interviews, great stuff. Rousey seemed to intentionally provoke Tate to get her to be overly aggressive and throw her off her game and it worked. Tate showed some toughness though, escaping that first armbar attempt, but couldn't escape a second time. In the pre fight interviews, you could tell Rousey was determined and would not be denied. When asked if she had a plan B if an armbar attempt doesn't work, she said of course with great determination. Great fight, with great technique displayed. Will post more on this card when I watch the rest of it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:14 pm 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My knowledge about the women's MMA, is pretty much limited to Gina Carano.

That, isn't a bad thing as shes pretty hot.

I don't see why she would return to MMA at this point. She can make heaps more money in films, and it isn't nearly as brutal either.
I'm sure she enjoys fighting, but it all boils down to much more money and longevity to boot.

It will hurt the sport a tiny bit I'm sure, but there always seems to be plenty of up and comers to the MMA.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yes there are. The thing is, will the owners start to feature them more. If they're as talented as Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey, they probably will. Hopefully Kyra Gracie can make her way into MMA after her years of jiu jitsu competition. That could help, as she has the famous Gracie name (Royce is still my all-time favorite fighter) and I read she has been training in boxing to work on her stand up game. It seems only Strikeforce and Bellator seems to feature the ladies on a regular basis though. Megumi Fujii is VERY talented as well, so if she ever made her way to Strikeforce or the UFC if they ever start to feature female bouts, she could become a huge name in the sport.