All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tales from the PtE Blog
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:51 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Ramos Clemente Is Alive & Well!

Saturday, February 16th, 2008

This elusive would be dictator, who it was rumored to have taken his own life, is alive and well. The years may have caught up with him in body but not in spirit or mind. Sure, his hair is grayed and the beard has long since been removed, but there was no mistaking him. At a small table in the Bob Hope Airport Marriott he sat, quiet yet cheerful. I stood in line for what seemed like hours to catch this gentleman.

I discovered that he had been living all this time in Los Angeles, under the assumed identity of Police Lieutenant Frank Columbo, Homicide Division. Matter of fact, a great many people of the local community seemed to know him by the alter ego. He shook hands and signed souvenirs for the passerby and onlookers that might know him, but then I made my move. I approached him and handed him a much younger picture of himself that he was immediately taken aback from its presence. Looking at yet other photos I brought as further evidence, he eyed me coolly.

He smiled when he learned that I was not there to expose him and slyly signed yet another name to the images, that of, Peter Falk. He cautiously looked at the gentleman next to him he seemed not to notice the images and wished me the very best.

I looked at my watch, it was a quarter to three. I stood there for nearly 2 hours to confront this man, yet his personality and calmness of being told me that he had since buried the past. The angry man of forty five years past was gone. I thought it best to leave sleeping dogs lie and let him enjoy his Twilight years at peace and without worry. Leaving the Marriott, I lit up a cigarette and smiled contently to myself. For though many people passed him and some recognized him, only a handful like myself knew the truth about him. Who he was and where he came from. A secret that he can sleep well keeping and continue in his charade of Police Lieutenant.

I have stared into the eyes of Ramos Clemente. The revolutionary freedom fighter. The man, some call, Peter Falk.

——

DrMoreau

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:00 am 

lazyboyx51 Says:
February 21st, 2008 at 5:47 pm e

I love the look of this blog. Enjoyed the Clemente story and look forward to reading about other encounters.
[hr]
Woodrow Mulligan Says:
March 14th, 2008 at 2:43 pm e

Very cool story there DrM! Very well written too! Thanks..
[hr]
whitsbrain Says:
May 18th, 2008 at 7:01 am e

Where do you find the time, DrM?!? Nice little story. You’ve painted a picture in my mind…

…Dr. Moreau drives away now, one hand on the wheel, the other half curling the autographed portrait. Smoke slowly drifts from the freshly lit cigarette, slightly irritating his right eye; while tightly pursed lips display a knowing, self-confident smirk. Clemente can hide, but now he knows someone’s watching.
[hr]
Mr.Z Says:
May 21st, 2008 at 11:08 pm e

Dr M, bonjour, cool BLOG, great story. I am a fan of The Mirror, an underrated ep, imho.

Peter Falk is good in anything he touches. I have a feeling Tony Shaloub borrows some quirkiness from him for his part as Monk, yes 2 different approaches, yet both are quite odd.

Zone Peace
MrZ

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:33 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Awesome blog DrM!

Post subject: The Legend
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
<Image

The Legend.
The Hollywood Roosevelt hotel is a famous hotel located in the heart of Hollywood, just one block west of the Chinese Theatre. It opened in 1927 and was named for President Theodore Roosevelt, stands 30 floors tall with remnants and echoes of Hollywood's Golden Age. It is Saturday, February 13, 1988 and film legend Bette Davis is doing a book signing at B. Dalton Booksellers down the street from the hotel. There had been no publicity for her appearance at all, except a small sign at the bookstore; a friend had seen the sign and told me about it. I was ecstatic. There was to be a press conference at the hotel afterwards.

Then a week before the signing the Los Angeles Times ran a half page ad, "Come Meet Bette Davis". My heart sank to my feet; I was so disappointed. I knew that ad would bring in throngs of people who wanted to catch a glimpse and gawk at an aging actress from the Golden Age of Hollywood. She was in frail health and in her 81st year. "No one truly loves her as I do, " I thought (I was 23 at the time). All those memorable roles in films-the jealous woman Henry Fonda rejects in Jezebel (1938), who arrives at the ball wearing a red dress and even though the film is in black and white one sees the red dress. The film is set in the 1800's and a red dress on a woman at that time meant she was less than chaste. She played the woman going blind in Dark Victory (1939); in The Letter (1940), after shooting a man on the steps she spoke the classic line, "He tried to make love to me so I shot him"; in Now Voyager (1942) Paul Henreid lights two cigarettes at the same time, then takes one and gently puts it on her lips; in All About Eve (1950) she plays actress Margo Channing, who took in a protege, Eve Harrington, and the protege turns into a bigger star than Davis' character. Then came the classic horror movie Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) where two actress sisters live in a mansion shut off from the world. Baby Jane (Davis) still wears gigantic, curly pigtails and thinks she is still a child star in her 50's; her sister Blanche (Joan Crawford) is in a wheelchair and the circumstances of the course of her paralysis is a question throughout the film. Since they were rivals in their professional lives, they extended that rivalry to their private lives. So Bette Davis was always larger that life and always a strong, vibrant, huge presence on the big screen. I had always wanted to get my picture taken with her. I called B. Dalton Booksellers and asked if I would be able to get a photo taken with her. "Oh no", the clerk responded emphatically, "We expect hundreds of people and she is only going to be here for two hours and then she will leave; there will not be any time for photos or signing anything other than the book." (She indeed stayed longer than two hours until she had seen everyone in the long line). The dark clouds rolled overhead which only made me more determined.

At the time I was working at a commercial talent agency and one of the agents, Steve, knew Don Herbert who was a new reporter for KFWB/AM. Steve said he would call to see what Don knew about the book signing. He found out there was going to be a press conference at the Hollywood Roosevelt after the book signing. Don Herbert did not intend to go because he had met Bette Davis. Don would put my name on the press list and he had a press pass waiting for me to pick up at the radio station.

The time was 2pm. The place was the Hollywood Roosevelt. The event of my lifetime was meeting Bette Davis. I dressed in one of my best wool suits, dark slacks, dress shirt and tie. I used valet parking, which I never use. I was as nervous as I had ever been in my life up to that moment. I slowly walked to the elevator, my rapid beating heart kept time to every step I made. I walked up the grand staircase to the second floor, just off the Blossom Room, famous for hosting the first Academy Awards banquet in 1929; here is where she was scheduled to hold the press conference.

I approached the door and there was a statuesque, red headed woman who held in her hands the list of those allowed to enter. The person in front of me was from People magazine and her name was not on the list. She was told she could not attend and after much protest the lady from People magazine walked off in a huff. I walked up and gave my name. "Not on the list", she said. "Not on the list?" I whimpered. She double-checked. She checked the radio station, then she checked Don Herbert who had let me go instead of him. I was still not on the list. I was crushed. The red headed lady said I could wait until Bette Davis arrived and they would ask her assistant Kathryn Sermac if I could come in. So, I sat outside the door.

After about thirty minutes there was a bustle of movement, flash bulbs going off, camera lenses clicking. I looked over the railing below and saw a crowd of people circling around a lady in a big black hat. They went into the elevator. I was sitting directly across from the elevator on the second floor. The doors to the elevator opened and the people moved around her like Mary Richards and the cast of The Mary Tyler Moore Show on the very last episode. She was so tiny! I couldn't believe how small she was. This large screen presence was no taller than 5'2" and had probably shrunk with age. She had a black hat and black dress with a large heart on it made out of several different colored buttons. They whisked her into the room I was waiting to enter.

Kathryn Sermac was a tall, attractive brunette who had been Bette Davis' live-in help, companion and assistant for the last ten years. She came to the red headed lady and they conferred while I sat within eyeshot of Bette Davis. Bette Davis looked right at me. Every time the door opened she could see me. I saw her talking about me to Kathryn as she was pointing at me and talking. Kathryn came back to the red headed lady and they again had a short conversation. The red headed lady motioned to me and asked me again who I was with. She told me if the seats were not filled up I could "probably" come in. I waited for another eternity and could have watched one of her old films by now. Then the red headed lady conferred with Kathryn again and they showed me into this room with about 25 chairs and on each chair was an autographed copy of Bette Davis' book This N' That. There was a two-foot cut out copy of her book positioned right next to the legend herself, Bette Davis.

The room was empty. I sat directly in front of her in the second row. I started to become really nervous, as I had not prepared any questions to pass myself off as a reporter. I froze. I could not think of one of her movies. I thought there would be a room full of people and I would just get my photo taken with her. Finally, a reporter from Newsweek came in to save me. We waited a bit longer and then started. Bette Davis asked who we were and introduced herself and Ms. Sermac. For an hour and a half I sat in heaven listening to storied of her career. There were just four of us in this small room. At one point Bette Davis asked if I had any questions and I asked a dumb question about one of her films, so dumb I can't even recall. I think she knew I wasn't a reporter. This amused her. After we were done I went up to her to get my photo taken and was out of character for me, so nervous and red faced like a boy on his first date. She looked at me and said, "You remind me of my son Michael. You look just like him". So, several more shades of red appeared and the photo proves it.

I got the picture back and was so disappointed because she had tilted her head down ever so slightly smiling at me. A friend told me it was a very theatrical pose. One can still tell it is her and can visualize her from one of her early films instead of an elderly, frail, craggy faced 81-year-old lady. It was the event of my lifetime. I had finally met Bette Davis. The legend.

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:23 pm 

The Acquisition of Consuela Biros
April 26, 2008

Once again I find myself outside the Bob Hope Airport. The Marriott is crowded but not overly so that one can’t breath or think. Although my normal procedure of operation is to come in covert and unobtrusive, I found that this time my chances would be better if I had a little more discreet a cover. I engaged the help of both my wife and son. My wife - an indulgent and way too patient of a lady - had been desirous to get the autograph of one of comedies greatest co-stars, Mr. Dom De Luise. No Mel Brooks film, Gene Wilder, or Burt Reynolds film would be quite the same without his presence. Being that many friends and colleagues have had their fair share of 8×10, posters, and what have you obtained by way of my talents, I found myself hard pressed not to comply with her wishes for a poster montage of Mr. De Luise. My son too, having become most enamored of my collection decided that he too would like to indulge in this experience. “Ah,” I though, “What a perfect cover. I can fulfill both my wife’s request and some of my own & others.” Whilst she pleasantly chatted with young Michael DeLuise, I found my chance to escape to the first of my target agendas.

I strolled the aisles looking for her seating assignment - which was located next to an old friend, Kevin Mc Carthey. Kevin informed me that she had stepped out for lunch but would be returning soon. Kevin and I talked for several minutes about his latest film - Slipstream Dream - and his working with Anthony Hopkins. Realizing I was monopolizing his time, for a crowd began to form; I bid my farewells and proceeded to scan the rest of the floor. As I located my following targets, I noticed she strolled by me. As she passed, I noted a small LED badge that simply read, “Arlene.” I followed, at about six paces behind her, and blended with the crowd. A woman stopped her and inquired if she was “the” Arlene that is often reported to frequent this shindig but never actually makes it to the dance. Arlene feigned ignorance of the accusations but politely conversed until the elderly lady was satisfied. I made my approach to her table.

Recent pictures and my past experience of meeting her were no longer as accurate as they seemed. She had lost weight and was back to a slimmer self than that of 4 years previous. Although 40 years had past, she was most definitely the lady I remembered from Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. Smiling pleasantly, I introduced myself. She stared at me for a second with a slight glimpse of recognition in her eyes. I quickly eye scanned her table and saw the usual bill-o-fair with one notable exception. Although she didn’t realize it was one I had cleaned, she had some copies of a, “What You Need,” shot on her table. My smile broadened for I knew what forum board that shot had been lifted or acquired it from. Reaching into my bag of tricks, I extracted that very 8×10 with a slight difference and placed it before her to sign.

“Oh, I have this shot too.” She said pointing to her stack on the back corner.

“I see that,” I commented coolly. “But if you look closely, you will note, you don’t quite have the same shot.”

Picking up the 8×10 she instantly found the difference … an inscription by and autograph of Read Morgan. Her eyes widened as she leaned across the table. “How did you get him?”

Still smiling like the Cheshire Cat, I replied, “I didn’t. The gentleman whom I made the 8×10 for did.”

She paused for a moment and let my words sink in. “Really … do you know how to get a hold of him?”

“It’s possible. I believe he was a chance bit of luck or determination.”

Taking one of her collector cards, she signed it and wrote her email address along its vertical edge. “If you come across it let me know.”

I looked at another similar shot on the table. Is was a 1/3 page fit and uncleaned screen capture. “You no, that’s a great shot too. However … ” I again reached into my bag, withdrew several shots and placed them before her. “I think you will agree, these are better still.”

She stared at each one slowly with a scrutinizing eye. “How are you able to keep such clarity and quality?”

“With patience and a little tender loving care.”

“No,” She looked around cautiously. “Really.”

“Yes, truly. It’s really quite easy - once you know how.”

We solidified each pictures signing as she again examined each as she signed. Upon completion I brought out the last 2 shots to sign. The TOL mini collage and my own version of he TOL 8×10 she had already signed in its unfettered state. She saw the same shot she had once signed with the Episode title and TOL logo ad was happily surprised yet again. She commented about all the actors on the TOL Mini Poster - unique unto itself from any standpoint. Signing both, we touched upon some other prospects such as a poster, etc, before I made my farewells. I was back to my wife and son before I made my way out over to my next targets.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:27 pm 

Woodrow Mulligan Says:
May 30th, 2008 at 9:29 am

Very cool story Dan, and very neat photo as well! Glad you had a nice experience with her!

TZ DZ Fan Says:
May 31st, 2008 at 9:15 am

Wow~! I had missed all these stories, as I haven’t been in this little hidden corner of PTE in quite some time.

Hopefully Dan- you can send her an email, and possibly we can make a few $$$ on some custom 8×10s, or a poster.
Beware- our hero Andrew said she is definitely NOT one to want to front any $$$. If thats the case, too bad Arlene, you could make some real money with some of our stuff!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:35 pm 

The Diary, Duke, & Wagner

April 26, 2008

Having left with the “Acquisition of Consuela Biros,” I made my way down to the end of the hall. Sitting across from one another, I spied Ms. Patty Duke and Ms. Lindsay Wagner. Sure, sure, they were both their for their own separate shows, but how could I pass up a chance at one of my all time favorite series and 2 notable remaining members of the Night Gallery episode, “The Diary.” Having been steadily working on my wife’s poster, I hadn’t given any thought to these two ladies individually – greater concerns were at hand. However, once clarity returned to me, I saw how remiss I would be if I did not get both these ladies on a Night Gallery 8×10. Alas, it was hours before the start of the show and I had nothing prepared. What to do, what to do?

I quickly grabbed my NG disc and proceeded to make a few screen grabs. Not as easy as it may sound for all the while my wife was reminding me of the time, posters still to pick up from the printers, etc and so forth. I quickly decided to go quick and fast but still clean. I made my shot, uploaded it to my local developer and ran out to pick up the poster feeling confident that the 8×10 would also be ready upon my arrival. Just as I thought, it was.

With photo in tow, I approached Ms. Wagner first for several reasons. I believe she is actually better looking now than in the 70’s. She’s tall, statuesque and very much the lady. I presented the picture and asked her to sign. She stared before commenting, “Wow. Everyone wanted Bionic Woman and the occasional Ford or Mattress advertisement. But nobody even remembers I did this show. I even forgot I did this show.” She looked across at Patty Duke and commented under her breath, “I missed a golden opportunity didn’t I?”

“I think so,” I replied. “Had I more time, this would have actually included some photos of you both with Wayne, Mayo, and McCallion. I was pressed for time but couldn’t let this opportunity go myself.”

She signed the 8×10 and stared at it one last second – I handed her my card and smiled as she placed it in her pocket instead of handing it to her handler. I turned and entered the Patty Duke zone.

In contrast, Ms. Duke was petite – surprisingly so, maybe 5 feet. For a lady who suffered from depression and anxiety disorders, her eyes held in them a calm serenity. She nervously made small talk with all her patrons, including the elderly lady who I encountered during the “Acquisition of Consuela Biros,” I had once again overheard the conversation and upon its completion, she commented that she gets that question asked of her all the time. “Who was the other girl who played your sister Cathy on your show? Is she here too? What’s her name again?”

She asked which of her pictures I wanted before I presented her with “The Diary” shot. “Wow – I’ve never gotten anything from this show before. I loved my experience when I did this. Thank you for reminding me of this experience.”

She happily signed her name and commented that she knew she had met Lindsay years ago but couldn’t remember from where. Had she known …

I left the Marriott with all cases closed and all opportunities made. All aspects of my obligations to friends, family and myself were fulfilled. I enjoy this piece simply because of its simplicity through desperation and the experience this single image conjured in both of its signers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:37 pm 

Woodrow Mulligan Says:
May 30th, 2008 at 9:33 am

Another cool story Dan! Those are the best when they get things to sign that no one else thinks of. I bet you will never forget the encounter with those two ladies.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:41 pm 

Henry Silva, Tourist Attraction & The Mice
Friday April 27, 2007

It was a hot Friday afternoon - even for Los Angeles. There was an unusual humidity that lingered; sticky, viscose heat. Entering the Marriott did not rid me of this feeling. The air conditioner broken, not working, or couldn’t handle the grid load. No one knew for sure., but they all commented on it.

Passing through the aisles of people and tables I came upon the man, Henry Silva. Although the room was sweltering, he sat in a dark forest green sweater and a white dress shirt completely buttoned to the collar. Even in the heat, this man was cool - old school cool.

I approached with poster tube in hand and loosened the lid as not to appear inept when the time came. Been there, done that. I wasn’t about to make that mistake in-front of Henry Silva. I looked over his display of photographs. Studio Head shots,Some Ocean 11 shots, Cinderfella marque, A Chuck Norris movie even he couldn’t name, and various others. But ONE in particular grabbed my attention, a behind the scenes shot from “The Manchurian Candidate.”

“You know, Frank tried to buy that movie back from the studio.” His voice resounded in the sticky air around the table. Although obviously older, he stood tall, slender and aristocratic. For a man of 79, you wouldn’t guess it by his appearance.

“I was kinda hoping to find some Outer Limits shots.” I said coyly.

“No, I didn’t get anything from that show. Mainly what I have on the table.”

“Hmmm, perhaps this will bring back some memories then.” I flipped the lid off of the tube, inserted two fingers and pulled out the poster, and unrolled it across his table. ”I was wondering if I might get you to sign this for me. ”

I watched his eyes. He, at first glance, dismissed it as a movie poster. Then he noticed it bore his name. He knelt in for a closer look. Reaching into his sweater pocket, he retrieved his spectacles.

“Where did you get this?” He asked in almost a hushed voice.

Smiling, “A friend of mine commissioned it and I made it.”

“You made this!”

I explained the situation to him. Before I could finish he stated that he would sign anything if he could get a copy of that. Reaching into the tube, I found it empty. I Read the label, it showed 1. I paid for 3. I never have to check, it’s a given with the photo printer I deal with. I called the store and questioned the manager. I explained the situation to the manager. I called my first and most trusted line of defense - my wife. I explained to her the situation. She was all over it. I put my cell in my pocket.

“I can have one here in 2 hour,” I stated knowing that he would be gone in less than 3 hours. “Matter of fact, I’ll give you this one and you can sign the other 2 when they get here. ”

He looked at me in amazement. “Are you sure.”

“Yeah, no worries.” I said trying to convince myself as much as him.

I knew full well the hell it was going to be to try to make it to and from the printers to the airport on Friday afternoon. I excused myself and dealt with other matters at hand. Dealing with others killed about an hour and I grew ever more aware of the time. As the minutes anguishibly clicked by, I paced outside the lobby and smoked nervously. The damn heat was stifling. Finally my phone rang, my wife had both posters and was on her way. Stubbing the cigarette in the ash-can, I popped a breath mint and returned to Henry’s table.

I informed him that she was en-route. We conversed about several topics and while we waited he signed that Manchurian shot and others for me. My wife arrived and handed me off the posters. Henry smiled and signed them, “A man of your word, just under 2 hours.”

“Like I said … no worries.”

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:43 pm 

Woodrow Mulligan Says:
August 6th, 2008 at 9:20 pm

You came upon, “the man” at the table indeed!
Another very cool story DrM! I always enjoy them.
He is one cool cat, I wish you had taken a photo of him in his white shirt and green sweater!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:48 pm 

12 Months in a Semi-Private World of Darkness
It began in late October 2006 …

TZ DZ Fan and myself were discussing our next project when he came came up with a beauty - Eye of the Beholder. Donna Douglas & Edson Stroll were known signers. George Keymas, although absent for a few years from the autograph seen was also known to sign a thing or two. Maxine Stewart had signed as late as 2001 or 2002 but her location, like Keymas, was currently unknown. So here was the plan, we knew that we could get Donna through her agency. Our fellow collector and participant in the TZ Posters collection, Andrew Ramage, knew Edson Stroll personally. So we knew both of these stars were readily available to us. The others would require some leg work to track down, but as long as we could get Donna & Edson, things were in place and the motions were set.

We began the laborious yet loving assembly process for the poster. TZ DZ Fan & I went through several drafts before we could decide upon exactly the right layout, mood, and images that comprised this huge masterwork. It was to be a 24 x 20″ poster we both agreed upon from the on set. It must contain Serling’s ending monologue as well as his image. TZ DZ Fan was insistent that it contained the money shot - Donna’s Unveiling. The backdrop we both instinctively knew had to be the Doctor & Nurse shadow on the linen barrier - it was too iconic not to use. The rest was left up to me design. As stated, we went through several drafts and some 60 plus hours until we agreed upon the above image. Keep in mind the photograph above pales with actual clarity and pristine of the actual poster size version.

Along the way, we picked up a fourth interested party, Mr. Woodrow Mulligan. A collector of nearly 30 years himself, he was most desirous at the prospect of being included in this limited edition, private collection, poster. So when the time came, everyone put in their share of the money for printing and signature fees. Everyone knew that Donna’s agency was renown for their terrible service. 6 ~ 9 months seemed to be the average turnaround time. We submitted (4) posters and a few 8×10s <em>{Most of which were signed by the other cast members}</em> with the appropriate money on April 25th, 2007. Every month a call was placed in regards to the whereabouts of the posters and 8×10. I was informed that they were still out but were expected back soon. This was the answer in May, June, July, and then suddenly in August - my phone calls stopped being returned. Every week a new phone call and no response. All of August and September I received not even a courtesy call. All my emails were in turn disregarded.

October 8th, I talked to my lawyer, who informed me of a polite yet meaningful way to phrase a letter that would most certainly illicit a business like response. Sure enough, By October 12th I had received a phone call. I was informed by the gentleman I had initially dealt with - a whom had signed a receipt for said items and monies - that he was in Florida and was unaware of my phone & email messages, but that the poster did come in. They had not received the 8×10s back, but were fairly certain they would be in within a week or two. I informed him that I too had been busy but was willing to wait a few weeks for their arrival and would go to their office on Friday, October 26th<em> {6 months and a day}</em> to pick everything up. He said he wouldn’t be there, but anyone else in the office could handle this for him. Fair enough.

Friday, October 26, 2007 1:00 PM - I entered the agency and met with a representative. He picked up cell and called the gentleman in Florida. Apparently the 8×10s had not come in yet. What I could ascertain from the conversation was that Ms. Douglas had a PO Box change and the 8×10s never made it to her. The assistant - still on his cell - went to the mail room and found the poster tube but not the stack of 8×10s. He explained the situation a little differently that I over heard. I examined the posters and found all were in great shape and signed. I asked when could I expect to see the 8×10s. The assistant basically told me that I may have to just write them off as lost. That was absolutely unacceptable - let me talk to the owner. He disappeared for a few moments. Returning, he informed me that he was in a meeting - an important meeting. ”That’s fine,” I told him. “I cleared my schedule to be here today. I have all the time in the world, I’ll wait.”

After about fifteen minutes I opened my cell as the young assistant eyed my every move. “I’m going to order in for luch, you want anything?” He declined and returned to his bosses office where they both shortly emerged. The owner began with the same song and dance that his employee had laid on me. Reaching into my bag of tricks, I produced the receipt that his employee had signed 6 months earlier. ”Oh, we don’t give receipts,” he stated sardonically.

“Yes, I know. That’s why I had your representative sign one of mine. Freely and willingly without duress.” It clearly stated that his employee accepted the money under the terms and conditions that THEY were now responsible for these items. That if lost or damaged they would have to pay for their replacement and make good on getting replacements. Being that a majority were signed by other celebrities, they were valued at a collectors market dollar and picture cost.

Upon reading it, his years of contract negotiation skills told him I was legit and he was responsible. He began to back peddle his statements. They would look into this matter more closely and get everyone on board to track the 8×10s down. It may take a while.

Every week I was getting weekly progress reports from the assistant in Florida. He had checked with the Post Master of that Office. He sent letters to the old PO Box number asking for them back if they happened to get them. They checked with Donna, she didn’t have them. Come December, some of us became a little antsy.

On January 4, 2008 - It was agreed that they would reimburse us on the money taken and have new autographs signed for free to replace them. This agreement was accepted by all 8×10 contributors. On January 11, I dropped off the replacement shots <em>{Some with autographs that could be replaced}</em> and refund check for the missing 8×10s. Now, with fresh photos, we waited again.

Leap forward to April. After long delays and deliberations, the meeting with Edson Stroll was finally arranged. I had received a phone call that the original 8×10s had shown up and were signed and ready to be picked up. I made the long trek from deep within the “Valley of the Dirt People” to San Fernando Valley. Upon my arrival, the original assistant I had started with was waiting for me. He handed me back the original binder with the 8×10s - all signed. I asked about the 2nd batch that went out, they were also signed. They weren’t back yet but they had told Donna to send them back unsigned. OK. I informed them to send them to me in the mail upon their return.

Unfortunately, the day of the arranged meeting, Edson had an unexpected survey to attend. I met Edson’s lovely wife and left a copy of the Poster with her. I gave Andrew his original 8×10s but kept the posters to them them signed in person. On the coming Wednesday afternoon, April 9th, I met with Edson Stroll. Walking into his home, I noted the framed poster on the entry hall wall. I talked with Edson regarding Serling, the Zone, Donna, McHale’s Navy, general everyday things, and then came the time of the signing. All in all I spent about 2 hours with Edson and could feel my welcome coming to a end so I said my ado’s with posters in tow.

April 15th, I get a phone call telling me the 2nd batch of photos had returned. I had them mailed and got them on the 25th.

A year later, we finally got everything back, our original order filled, and reprints intact yet unsigned. As of June 12, 2008, everyone now has their poster. (4) signed by both stars and one signed by me for Edson. Trying, exhausting, and drawn-out experience as it was - the end result was worth the effort. Because, at the end of it all, there are only 4 posters with both signatures in existence. To quote TZ DZ Fan, the co-creator and collaborator of this piece, “How tight is that?”

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:59 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

My Mood: Neutral
Very cool stories indeed. Most interesting that you have actually met these icons, and gotten their autographs!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:56 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
Dr Moreau: Your funny tale of meeting "Peter Falk" at the very top of this thread instantly recalled me to Brian Aldiss' short story, "Swatstika," which is told in first person from writer Aldiss' POV as he travels to South America to meet a man named "Geoffery" who has never bothered to shave his small mustache or tear off the red, white and black armband on his trench coat. The story appears in "Nova 1" edited by Harry Harrison.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:49 pm 

Thanks for the complement Jonny!

Nova 1??? My, that would be a time travel trip in itself.