Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:32 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

if any of you guys are into comics, i got to say that JSA is the best ongoing title i have read in years.
i've always liked the JSA but this series now, it is the best ever. of course, the linelup features both Alan Scott (my favourite of all the Green Lanterns) and Jay Garrick, the Golden Age Green Lantern and Flash respectively. but the lineup features many of the same characters but with 2nd and 3rd generation decendents of the originial heroes.
of the "new" characters, i like Liberty Belle and Hourman best. they are a twosome here.
i do not like the two Wildcats. the orignial (Ted Grant)...his character has been more or less recreated to act and talk like Wolverine of the X-MEN. i don't like that. and his son, the new Wildcat just sucks to me. ok, we got a early 20's guy that changes into a giant walking cat..no thrills there for me.
i understand the lineup will change some soon. i hope not too drastically. but for right now, it is the best thing out there right now.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:23 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Nice heads up, Bobby. although I don't really read very many DC titles, I must admit, it does sound interesting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:54 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Hey Mr Yates, yeah I have read some JSA stuff in the past, I shall have to take a serious look
at this, thanks.

What DC I am reading, is just Green Lantern, and GL Corps, I am impressed by
all the different Lantern corps, its cool how they paired an emotion to a color, it works real well, so far.
At least imho.

Keep up the great posts,

MrZ

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

i used to be into Green Lantern but it was years ago. back when Mike Grell was doing it..'round 1980 i think. the title was officially changed to Green Lantern/Green Arrow at that point. Grell is one of my favourite artists. think it was issue #107 that they started a backup story with Alan Scott for a few issues.
haven't read any GL's in a long while outside of being part of a team. but Alan Scott just seems to be the one i like best. then Hal Jordan. can't stand Guy Gardner and haven't read enough of Kyle Rainor to get an opinion. never cared for John Stewart much either.
i did like the idea of making Rond Vidar a GL in the recent Legion of Super Heroes story in the 31st century. that brought some brief life (before he was killed) into an already non-existant for 40s character...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:52 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
bobbyryates wrote:
i used to be into Green Lantern but it was years ago. back when Mike Grell was doing it..'round 1980 i think. the title was officially changed to Green Lantern/Green Arrow at that point. Grell is one of my favourite artists. think it was issue #107 that they started a backup story with Alan Scott for a few issues.
haven't read any GL's in a long while outside of being part of a team. but Alan Scott just seems to be the one i like best. then Hal Jordan. can't stand Guy Gardner and haven't read enough of Kyle Rainor to get an opinion. never cared for John Stewart much either.
i did like the idea of making Rond Vidar a GL in the recent Legion of Super Heroes story in the 31st century. that brought some brief life (before he was killed) into an already non-existant for 40s character...

Thanks for the feedback, MrY,buddy,

I like GL/GA too, I like comics that political and philosophical undertones,i.e. The Question, The Crow,The Green Arrow, so this series was appreciated.

Look through GL #37,if you get a chance, it gives some info on the new lantern corps ( red, blue, etc...) there are more colored corps, eventually there will be a black lantern corp, I think its going to incorporate some other DC characters who are not regularly in GL comics ( they hinted at them, in one recent book, hopefully we will see them soon).

I love Hal alot, Kyle is ok too.
Thanks again for the post :D

MrZ

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:12 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

i'll try to check that one out.
i'm afraid they might splinter the GLCorps too much and damage it. i mean, make it so convoluted that it messes the thing up.
the "Dead" Corps might be interesting. maybe, i don't know what to think.

i grew up with Hal Jordan in the JLA and GL/GA series'. so i am more familair with him. but since i am such a fan of the olden days (the '40's characters), Alan Scott just appeals to me. and i love the concept of parallel earths. so the old Earth-2 with the JSA and then the All-Star Squadron...i just like it.

from what i have seen in the recent COUNTDOWN series, i think they are stupid if they don't pursue a major realtionship between Kyle Rainor and Donna Troy. that could be stellar.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:32 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

JSA was a good book-I stopped reading comics altogether a few months ago, so I can't comment on its' current state but as of December it ruled. It just wasn't enough to keep me reading anymore. I've collected comics since I was ten or thereabouts and the joy for me is gone. Bummer.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:30 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

The time I enjoyed the Justice Society was during the 1960s when it had the annual team-ups with the Justice League. Of all those team-ups, my favorite was the one where Earth-One and Earth-Two were on a collision-course with each other. MInd you, this was NOT an outer space collision but instead an interdimensional collision since the two Earths occupy different dimensions. But I guess that Mike Sekowsky had to use artistic license because the way the collision-course was shown, it looked like outer space. After all, how is an artist to depict the collision between two dimensions?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:45 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
I heard that the original GL--Alan Scott--whose weakness is not yellow ala Hal Jordan but wood--is gay. Sort of like Marvel's old Rawhide Kid revealed to be gay about 15 years ago, I think.

There was zero characterization and background for many comic hero types back then, especially for second tier characters and titles and the characters never changed or grew, typical of the story lines.

Modern, corporate publishers spent a couple of decades killing off main characters and replacing then, Barry Allen's wife Iris, Iron Man's helper becoming Iron Man, Hal Jordan dumped, etc. THAT I am not in favor of, and I sold a short story, "The Scribblers," all about these cynical changes to TomorrowSF magazine. It was rec'd for the Nebula and got me a standing ovation when I read it at Comic Con back in the 1990s. Back when Comic Con was not a corporate whore...lol.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:50 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
If the Board's Administrators are interested, I may be willing to post "The Scribblers" here. They can contact me by email.