Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Books
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:40 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
As there isn't anywhere to post about books, I thought I'd post on here. Are there many big readers here, and if so which authors and books do you like? I love reading fiction, my favourite authors are David Gemmell, CS Lewis, Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. My favourite books are Dracula and Wolf In Shadow.

By the way if anyone thinks I can't spell favourite properly, I can, I just use the British spelling because I live in England 8) .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:08 am 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Mr. Rorschach, congratulations, you have started a books thread in the proper location. ;)

I must profess that I don't ready anywhere near what I used to 5 years ago, but I still love Michael Moorcock, Raymond Fiest, and Ramsey Campbell books.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:41 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Mr. Rorschach, congratulations, you have started a books thread in the proper location. ;)

I must profess that I don't ready anywhere near what I used to 5 years ago, but I still love Michael Moorcock, Raymond Fiest, and Ramsey Campbell books.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Thanks for the praise :) I've never read any of those authors, but I do of course know of them and their books are of genres I like so thats cool.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Stephen 'f@%king' King is my choice!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:54 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Misery is the book of his I like best and the film's decent too, what do you think Salvadore?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:28 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Thanks for starting the books thread, Rorschach. I've read some from all but Gemmell. In my senior year of high school, I took a class that revolved around C.S. Lewis' works (that was my theology class) and my senior English course was Shakespeare. Regarding Hammett and Chandler, I read a couple from them back in college, an English course 'Detective Fiction'.

Currently, my favorite author is Chuck Palahniuk. I also read John Sandford, Ken Follett, Patricia Highsmith, Stephen King, Paul Auster, and James Patterson.

Recently, I read Dante Alighieri's The Inferno and Purgatorio. I am currently reading a little lighter, John Sandford's Easy Prey. On deck is Patricia Highsmith's final published book Small g.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:34 pm 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Now who here honestly thinks TZDZ can read? :clap:

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:46 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Not me :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:29 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Anything in the Horror genre I'll read. I'm more selective with my sci fi and fantasy though. I did read Fiest's RingWar and Farietale. I probably have read most of Ramsey's stuff. A little hit and miss with him though.

King pre 1990 was when he was at his best!

DrM

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:52 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Thanks for starting the books thread, Rorschach. I've read some from all but Gemmell. In my senior year of high school, I took a class that revolved around C.S. Lewis' works (that was my theology class) and my senior English course was Shakespeare. Regarding Hammett and Chandler, I read a couple from them back in college, an English course 'Detective Fiction'.

Currently, my favorite author is Chuck Palahniuk. I also read John Sandford, Ken Follett, Patricia Highsmith, Stephen King, Paul Auster, and James Patterson.

Recently, I read Dante Alighieri's The Inferno and Purgatorio. I am currently reading a little lighter, John Sandford's Easy Prey. On deck is Patricia Highsmith's final published book Small g.

Seems like you're very well read lazybox :) The stuff you studied in English sounds interesting, I studied English literature for my degree at university too, that's a wide range of authors you like, only half of which I know, but sure they're all cool.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:34 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

DrMoreau wrote:
Anything in the Horror genre I'll read. I'm more selective with my sci fi and fantasy though. I did read Fiest's RingWar and Farietale. I probably have read most of Ramsey's stuff. A little hit and miss with him though.

King pre 1990 was when he was at his best!

DrM

Those are all the best genres you read DrM, maybe it's a redundant question to ask but do you like 'The Island of Doctor Moreau'? I'm quite a fan of HG Wells myself.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:55 am 

Jules Verne & H. G. Wells were the inventors of main-stream Sci-Fi. Gotta respect what they brought to the genre. Wells works are still being remade into movies today - to quote Mr. Pokes - how strong is that? If we look back on the past 10 ~ 15 years: War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man, Island of Dr. Moreau, The Time Machine have all been made into Major Motion pictures. For any author that is a serious mile stone. Remembering that these were all write around the end of Victorian 1800's, that is even more impressive.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:19 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

I completely agree with you, both Wells and Verne are indeed the founding forefathers of science fiction as we know it today and the books they have written are just as readable today as they were when they were originally published.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:43 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished Sandford's novel, Easy Prey (Lucas Davenport series). Pretty good as usual, though the somewhat comedic ending (at least that's how I perceived it) was a little odd -- sounded more like a satirical ending from Chuck Palahniuk. Now I've just begun Patricia Highsmith's final novel Small g - seems a bit different than her Ripley novels, but we'll see where things lead.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:13 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

I just read Make Room! Make Room! the book upon which the film of Soylent Green is based, except there is no soylent green being people in the book, which was good because I had no idea how it would end. I'd say it's an 8/10 book.

Post subject: Re: Books
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:10 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Rorschach wrote:
As there isn't anywhere to post about books, I thought I'd post on here. Are there many big readers here, and if so which authors and books do you like? I love reading fiction, my favourite authors are David Gemmell, CS Lewis, Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. My favourite books are Dracula and Wolf In Shadow.

By the way if anyone thinks I can't spell favourite properly, I can, I just use the British spelling because I live in England 8) .

Love mysteries too. When talking about the greatest authors in the genre though, you can't leave out the legendary Mickey Spillane, with his Mike Hammer novels and countless other books, short stories, novellas and comic strips, which lead to several movies and two Hammer TV shows. He did these 3 great short story compilations with Max Allan Collins too, where they both edited and contributed stories of their own. Murder Is My Business (hitmen/assasins), Vengeance Is Hers (stories with female leads or where women got revenge) and Private Eyes (straight PI detective stories).

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:50 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Love mysteries too. When talking about the greatest authors in the genre though, you can't leave out the legendary Mickey Spillane, with his Mike Hammer novels and countless other books, short stories, novellas and comic strips, which lead to several movies and two Hammer TV shows. He did these 3 great short story compilations with Max Allan Collins too, where they both edited and contributed stories of their own. Murder Is My Business (hitmen/assasins), Vengeance Is Hers (stories with female leads or where women got revenge) and Private Eyes (straight PI detective stories).

I know of Spillane's reputation of course, just I've never read him, I'll have to though, I especially love stories about private eyes like Philip Marlowe and the Continental Op.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:17 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Anthony wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Great to hear someone else talking about Spillane-the Mike Hammer books were always dynamite. (Do not confuse them with the TV series starring Stacy Keach.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:46 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I don't but I liked both TV shows as well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:07 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Anthony wrote:
I don't but I liked both TV shows as well.

Cool. But you'll agree they are different kettle of fish.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:32 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

A great idea to have this seperate "Weird To Be Read" section. I'm currently rereading "Do Andorids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" the Philip K Dick book that Blade Runner is based on, it's just as good as the movie too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:43 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished up Highsmith's Small g tonight. Not a bad read, definitely different than her Ripley novels and short story collections that I've read. It starts out describing a murder, so I thought it was going along those dark lines, but instead it delved into the prejudices of homosexuality. 'Small g' refers to a designation to bars/pubs/restaurants that may be a gay bar at some point in the week, but is not considered "only gay". I like Highsmith's style of writing, and I even thought something outlandish would take place at the end. There was an unexpected incident at the end, but nothing mysterious or suspenseful that might be found in her other works. I'm glad I read it; now I'm ready for something else.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:09 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

I read Legion yesterday the sequel to The Exorcist. I'd read The Exorcist a couple of times a while ago and loved it aswell as the movie of course, also I've seen Exorcist III on which this book is based. It was a pretty good read, but the film was better surprisingly, the film version wisely left out some of the books slower moments and changed it's anti climatic ending but it's still a book I'd recommend to anyone who is a fan of The Exorcist.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:07 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
I read Legion yesterday the sequel to The Exorcist. I'd read The Exorcist a couple of times a while ago and loved it aswell as the movie of course, also I've seen Exorcist III on which this book is based. It was a pretty good read, but the film was better surprisingly, the film version wisely left out some of the books slower moments and changed it's anti climatic ending but it's still a book I'd recommend to anyone who is a fan of The Exorcist.

God, it's been forever since I've read, "Legion." Probably Late 80's / early 90's. Agree - the movie has a much better ending and pace to it. Besides - hard to beat George C. Scott.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:56 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

DrMoreau wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

God, it's been forever since I've read, "Legion." Probably Late 80's / early 90's. Agree - the movie has a much better ending and pace to it. Besides - hard to beat George C. Scott.

Cool :D I agree Scott is good in it, its hard to believe he had a Razzie award nomination for worst actor for his role in the film.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:22 pm 

Damn, George was great in this. His Auguste Dupin in The Murders in the Rue Morgue was also damn good, even with De Mornay and Kilmer as supporting cast.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:23 pm 

Exorsist III - Legion - was still head and shoulders above E2. Don't know why it got a Razzie?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:26 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

DrMoreau wrote:
Exorsist III - Legion - was still head and shoulders above E2. Don't know why it got a Razzie?

Because morons get to pick what gets nominated for what :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:55 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I'm re-reading Chuck Palahniuk's Choke because it was recently adapted to film, played at Sundance, and was picked up by Fox Searchlight. Not sure if, or when, it will be released nationwide, but I'm interested in seeing it, so I wanted to refresh my memory with its content. This is my second favorite Palahniuk novel after Fight Club.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:32 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I'm reading Stanyard's Dimensions Behind The Twilight Zone -- I'm really enjoying this "backstage" run-through of the show. It's fun to revisit all the episodes, knowing everything about them already, but I haven't really watched any Zone since the New Year's marathon. So, reading about the greatness of the show itself and Rod Serling's amazing talent and creative mind is the good fun I need.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:25 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
lazyboyx51 wrote:
I'm reading Stanyard's Dimensions Behind The Twilight Zone -- I'm really enjoying this "backstage" run-through of the show. It's fun to revisit all the episodes, knowing everything about them already, but I haven't really watched any Zone since the New Year's marathon. So, reading about the greatness of the show itself and Rod Serling's amazing talent and creative mind is the good fun I need.

"Dimensions" is a great book! I advance ordered it from Amazon and tore through it as soon as I got it. Have fun with it, Lazy!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:27 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I read Matheson's "I Am Legend" and it was terrific! I actually finished it before the movie was released. Plus, the ending of the book was perfect. I also enjoyed the movie but the ending of it sucked.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:48 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

whitsbrain wrote:
I read Matheson's "I Am Legend" and it was terrific! I actually finished it before the movie was released. Plus, the ending of the book was perfect. I also enjoyed the movie but the ending of it sucked.

I agree with you on both counts :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:40 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

"Dimensions" is a great book! I advance ordered it from Amazon and tore through it as soon as I got it. Have fun with it, Lazy!

Thanks Whit, I am! I'm about halfway through - very interesting stuff.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:10 am 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

i need to pick up dimensions behind the twilight zone- definitely on my list.

well.. i finally got blaze by richard bachman (aka stephen king) -it was good, and it got me to dig out my copy of the bachman books. i reread rage, the long walk and the running man, and i finally read roadwork for the first time.

anyway.. i am now reading world war z an oral history of the zombie war by max brooks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
I am reading Thomas Perry's new book, Silence, a murder mystery.
I also have enjoyed in the past those Anne Perry books of the Victorian era with Thomas Pitt and his wife Charlotte and started out with the very first one. I am surprise none of these have been made into filmed works. They are excellent, although I haven't read one in ages.
I think the new one by James McBride, Song Yet Sung, sounds really interesting. This from Amazon:
Escaped slaves, free blacks, slave-catchers and plantation owners weave a tangled web of intrigue and adventure in bestselling memoirist (The Color of Water) McBride's intricately constructed and impressive second novel, set in pre–Civil War Maryland. Liz Spocott, a beautiful young runaway slave, suffers a nasty head wound just before being nabbed by a posse of slave catchers. She falls into a coma, and, when she awakes, she can see the future—from the near-future to Martin Luther King to hip-hop—in her dreams. Liz's visions help her and her fellow slaves escape, but soon there are new dangers on her trail: Patty Cannon and her brutal gang of slave catchers, and a competing slave catcher, nicknamed The Gimp, who has a surprising streak of morality. Liz has some friends, including an older woman who teaches her The Code that guides runaways; a handsome young slave; and a wild inhabitant of the woods and swamps. Kidnappings, gunfights and chases ensue as Liz drifts in and out of her visions, which serve as a thoughtful meditation on the nature of freedom and offer sharp social commentary on contemporary America. McBride hasn't lost his touch: he nails the horrors of slavery as well as he does the power of hope and redemption.

I am a sucker for historical eras and history weaved with fictional characters.
Also love King, Dean Koontz is a favorite, Sandra Brown writes a very wonderful twisting unexpected turns in taunt-mysteries (not her romance novels).
I also have waiting in the wings, Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson. This follows John Wilkes Booth and his 12 days on the lamb after killing President Lincoln. Fascinating stuff to me.
I do like some Sci-fi reading--Bradbury, Matheson, and the like....
so much to read though......

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:00 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Woodrow Mulligan wrote:

Yes! Just not enough time....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:13 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:

Yes! Just not enough time....

Maybe an H bomb will one day give you extra time, but if you not got good eyesight remember keep a spare pair of glasses handy on you :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:47 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I"m almost done with Stanyard's book - about 50 pages to go. I was surprised that in his interview with Robert Sorrells, Stanyard actually referred to 'The Mighty Casey' as 'a good episode' and 'one of the better comedy ones'.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:02 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished up the Stanyard book - loved everything in it, a recommended read to all TZ fans. Now I'm reading 'The Brooklyn Follies' by Paul Auster.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:31 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I finished Paul Auster's The Brooklyn Follies last night. I really enjoyed this one, though it was strayed a bit from some of his other books. The only way it strayed was in the use of surrealism, some mystique, and bizarre scenarios. The writing was still good - I thought the characters were developed enough to warrant some emotion and for the story to be told well. I also love that it takes place in Brooklyn, NY, a neighborhood adjacent to the one where I grew up. Oddly enough, his last novel, Oracle Night was set in my Brooklyn neighborhood. Needless to say, Auster currently lives in Brooklyn. In any event, this was a story about an aging, divorced and retired man who recently beat cancer and moved back to his childhood neighborhood to live out the rest of his ordinary days alone and in anonymity. This, of course, doesn't happen, as he runs into his nephew (whom he had lost contact with)and gets wrapped up in his life and those that surround him. It's like "a book about nothing", life's normalcy and freak occurrences, people's interactions, and identity. That's one thing I love about Auster - his exploration of identity. In other books, he intertwines reality vs. fiction with this topic (not in this novel however). A recommended read.

Now onto Chelsea Cain's Heartsick. I'm looking forward to this one since I noticed its recommendation from my favorite author, Chuck Palahniuk.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:23 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished up Heartsick - a good read revolving around detective Archie Sheridan, who comes off a 2-yr medical leave to search for a serial killer. His medical leave was due to the fact that he became the final victim of the serial killer, Gretchen Lowell (the beautiful female version of Hannibal Lecter), the mastermind of the 10-year Beauty Killer case. The Sheridan-Lowell relationship was reminiscent of Clarice-Hannibal, but a little more disturbing due to the fact that she manipulated and tortured this guy, totally screwing him up physically, mentally and emotionally. Throughout the novel I pictured Tricia Helfer as Gretchen Lowell - she would play her perfectly. A recommended read.

Next up, John Sandford's Dead Watch.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:54 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Although, I'm not nearly as well read as you guys, here's a report from my bookshelf...

Just finished:
"The Mist" - Stephen King
(better ending than the movie)

"Twelve-Furlong Mile and other works of short fiction" - Steve Scott
(TZ-inspired stories)

"Godzilla On My Mind" - William Tsutsui
(Godzilla-obsessed author retraces the movies and behind-the-scenes history of the green menace)

Currently Reading:
"Skeleton Crew" - Stephen King
(I'm not King-obsessed, I just haven't read many of his stories so I'm catching up)

On Deck:
"Prey" - Michael Crichton
"The Legacy of Heorot" - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Steven Barnes
"The Servants of Twlight" - Dean Koontz

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:35 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

I've been reading shite loads lately but negelected to mention anything here, David Gemmell's Troy trilogy, Jerry Lee Lewis's biography Great Balls of Fire, plus a ton of graphic novels and just today read This Island Earth, a good read and better than I thought it'd be, but the movie version is better.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:34 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished up Sandford's Dead Watch. Not a bad book IMO. I've read mixed reviews on it. I actually really enjoyed it. I always love reading his Prey novels following Lucas Davenport. This novel was more political-oriented, and though you get hit with a ton of different characters, I didn't find it hard to fo.llow at all (as some reviews I read had mentioned). I would recommend it if you're interested in a political scandal or if you enjoy John Sandford books. 4/5 from me.

Next up...The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:43 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

That book is sitting on my shelf right now-it's one of the many things I've yet to get to, so I'll be real interested to hear your opinion of it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:02 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Ron Burgundy wrote:
That book is sitting on my shelf right now-it's one of the many things I've yet to get to, so I'll be real interested to hear your opinion of it.

Will do. I'm about 150 pages into it and it's a pretty entertaining read thus far. Mostly taking place in the present, but a couple of chapters back in time (so far). With all the reading I do I actually never read The Da Vinci Code, but I figure this subject matter is right in line with that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:14 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished up The Last Templar. Pretty good read there, though the ending was extremely predictable. So, despite a flat and corny ending, I really enjoyed the content. NBC is supposedly in production on a miniseries based on this book, so it would be interesting to catch.

Next up, Judge & Jury by James Patterson.

A nice, quick and easy read for my extended weekend to Miami (leaving tomorrow evening). See you guys when I get back!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:53 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Just started The Face by good old reliable favorite-of-mine Dean Koontz.....yeah it is from 2003, it is in my stash of hardback bargain copies I pick up.

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'm reading "The Servants of Twilight" By Dean Koontz. I've never read any of his books because they seemed to...mainstream, I guess. But I have to say it has been a very entertaining read up to this point.

I did finish another mainstream author, Steven King's "Skeleton Key" and it was a pretty good collection of his early short stories. I really liked "The Jaunt".