Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:28 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
I'm reading this book now but a lot of the words are big. :? So I just enjoy looking at the pictures. :D

Image :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:52 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
Beware The Creeper wrote:
I'm reading this book now but a lot of the words are big. :? So I just enjoy looking at the pictures. :D

Image :clap:

:lol: Mr Creeper your sense of humour is unique, and cool 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:49 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
:o I will definitely co-sign to that! :drink: & cheers! :lol:

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:43 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I finished that Patterson book in 2 days, mostly because I sat in the damn airport for 9 hrs because the first flight was canceled and the second delayed until after midnight. Either way, it was an ok book, not even sure it was worth the $7 bargain price, but there were some decent parts of it, but lots of cheesy dialogue. Eh, it sufficed its purpose to entertain briefly. Now I'm halfway through Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. This is pretty gripping thus far. Another story along the lines of the Holy Grail, Crusades, etc. Seems a little more interesting, and meaty, compared to The Last Templar. I feel like Templar was written in a more mainstream sense with an interesting theme, a more modern setting and can play out like a tv movie (which it will become sometime next year?). Labyrinth switches between current day and the year 1209 much more often, providing detailed storylines in both centuries, which makes this period piece more intruiging, to me anyway.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:55 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Finished up The Last Templar. Pretty good read there, though the ending was extremely predictable. So, despite a flat and corny ending, I really enjoyed the content. NBC is supposedly in production on a miniseries based on this book, so it would be interesting to catch.

Next up, Judge & Jury by James Patterson.

A nice, quick and easy read for my extended weekend to Miami (leaving tomorrow evening). See you guys when I get back!

Thanks for your comments on Khoury's book. As for Patterson I've yet to figure out what people see in that guy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:59 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Ron Burgundy wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Finished up The Last Templar. Pretty good read there, though the ending was extremely predictable. So, despite a flat and corny ending, I really enjoyed the content. NBC is supposedly in production on a miniseries based on this book, so it would be interesting to catch.

Next up, Judge & Jury by James Patterson.

A nice, quick and easy read for my extended weekend to Miami (leaving tomorrow evening). See you guys when I get back!

Thanks for your comments on Khoury's book. As for Patterson I've yet to figure out what people see in that guy.

Your welcome. Re: Patterson, early work was better, now he's pumping 'em out so quality suffers, IMO. I recommend Labyrinth by Kate Mosse if you want to read some more about the Cathars, Holy Grail, etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:18 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

I'm currently reading the book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. So far it's really good.

I'm a dreamer. I live life through dreams and ideals that are magnificent but humble in structure. I'm a shallow entity dependent on imagery, who is unable to sustain myself without some form of subtle insanity. I'm like a doped out form of graffiti.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:59 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

After Labyrinth, I read James Patterson's Cross. Again, quick & easy reading, but I like his Alex Cross novels. This one wasn't outstanding, but a solid story. Now I'm starting Paul Auster's Travels in the Scriptorium. I always look forward to this guy's books (2nd to Chuck Palahniuk).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:00 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

The short 145-page story from Auster may have been my favorite of what I've read by him. I could see this playing out as a Twilight Zone. Mystery, suspense, lost identity and a bizarre twist -- I highly recommend this one. It's quick, interesting and fun to read.

Next up...Chuck Palahniuk's Snuff (can't wait!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:49 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

What's a book?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:46 pm 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

Anthony wrote:
What's a book?

I had doubted your ability to read sometimes anyhow anthony. :twisted:

Couldn't resist that one.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:49 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I'm currently reading Paul Auster's newest novel 'Man in the Dark'. Reminiscient of 'Six Characters in Search of an Author', Owen Brick, who wakes up in a hole not knowing how he got there or where he could be, finds out that he was yanked out of his life to complete a mission -- kill the creator of the current civil war in America -- which just happens to be the narrator of the actual story, who is creating the story/characters as we go along because of insomnia. A bizarre blend of reality and fiction, crossing over, parallel universes perhaps. I can't wait to finish this one.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:46 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Auster's 'Man in the Dark' steered away from Brick about 2/3 through and focused on the narrator. Good book, but different direction than I was expecting.

Re-reading Chelsea Cain's 'Heartsick' so I can follow it up with the second in the series 'Sweetheart'.

On a TZ note, I noticed on Barnes&Noble's website that yet another Twilight Zone book is coming out next month -- Rod Serling and The Twilight Zone: The 50th Anniversary Tribute by Douglas Brode and Carol Serling.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:52 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Mean
The best book I've read in a long long time is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I read it about a year ago, but I feel that it will be a classic.

I'm currently reading Empire by Orson Scott Card. I've always liked Card and this story, while not his best, is very entertaining.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:38 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
lazyboyx51 wrote:
On a TZ note, I noticed on Barnes&Noble's website that yet another Twilight Zone book is coming out next month -- Rod Serling and The Twilight Zone: The 50th Anniversary Tribute by Douglas Brode and Carol Serling.

Great news, THANKS LB.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:49 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Sure thing, sir.

I finished up Chelsea Cain's Heartsick and Sweetheart, both very good reads, though I enjoyed the first better than the second. Reading through these, as I've mentioned somewhere before, all I see is Tricia Helfer playing the role of the seductive serial killer, Gretchen Lowell.

I've been reading Joe Torre's book, The Yankee Years, which is a fun read, as a Yankees fan. I'll probably start a light read, Patterson's Step on a Crack soon.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:58 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Sure thing, sir.

I finished up Chelsea Cain's Heartsick and Sweetheart, both very good reads, though I enjoyed the first better than the second. Reading through these, as I've mentioned somewhere before, all I see is Tricia Helfer playing the role of the seductive serial killer, Gretchen Lowell.

I've been reading Joe Torre's book, The Yankee Years, which is a fun read, as a Yankees fan. I'll probably start a light read, Patterson's Step on a Crack soon.

So I've got a few things going on all at once. I'm reading Patterson's Step On A Crack, about half-way through, which I tend to read if I get the chance during the week. I'm still going through The Yankee Years, which I pick up for weekend reads, again, when I have the opportunity. I also am listening to a book on audio during car rides to and from work, which I borrowed from a patient who highly recommended it. It came up because we both had similar interests in weird subject matter/stories, conversations about Twin Peaks and David Lynch. I recommended Carnivale and Jekyll to the patient, and in turn, was recommended these two novels by John Twelve Hawks -- The Traveler and The Dark River -- the first 2 books in a trilogy (the third and final book comes out this September). It's a pretty wild book -- society being watched by government, a la 1984, time travel/other dimensions -- a bit of science fiction, fantasy, and pseudo-reality. I've got a few hours left on the first novel, with the second one on deck.

So as you can see, I've delved into several different stories simultaneously, but I haven't gotten lost or mixed up at all. I can pick up right where I left off without a hitch.

I've also got quite a bit on the backburner -- John Sandford Invisible Prey; My Favorite Horror Story - a collection of stories (by Philip K. Dick, Richard Matheson, Robert Bloch, H.P. Lovecraft, etc.) selected by "masters of the genre" i.e. Stephen King, Peter Straub, Harlan Ellison, Richard Christian Matheson, Joe R. Lansdale (to name a few); Kate Mosse Sepulchre; the Doug Brode/Carol Serling Twilight Zone 50th Anniversary book; Ken Follett Eye of the Needle; John Sandford Dark of the Moon.

This should get me through the summer!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:05 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
The last book I read was Bret Hart's autobiography...it was about 1,000 pages of behind the scenes wrestling info that nobody knew......like how much he really hates HBK and how Hulk Hogan didnt really want to give up the title to Bret etc....pretty good reading...it hit #5 on the Sunday Times...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:42 am 
The General
The General

Well, I am now about to finish up Thomas Perry's last book Fidelity, another excellent read of his....
I think I will have to check out his Jane Whitfield series of book with a continuing character in it...I like those.
Perry has a very cool style and I love how he sets each book up....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:48 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished up Patterson's 'Step on a Crack', 'The Yankee Years', and the audiobook 'The Traveler'. Afterwards I went to the 2 Sandford novels, 'Invisible Prey' and 'Dark of the Moon'. Now I'm reading 'My Favorite Horror Story' -- some pretty good ones so far. I really liked 'The Distributor' by Richard Matheson.

Still on deck, 'Sepulchre', the Doug Brode/Carol Serling Twilight Zone 50th Anniversary book, 'Eye of the Needle', Patterson's 'Double Cross', and Richard Bachman's 'Blaze'.

Post subject: Re: Books
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:28 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

It's been 4 months since my last post -- I've read through the TZ 50th anniversary book, Patterson's 'Double Cross' and Bachman's 'Blaze'. 'Blaze' was actually an interesting story -- sort of like a modernized crime thriller version of 'Of Mice and Men'. Right now I'm smack in the middle of Follett's 'Eye of the Needle', which is excellent - love me some WWII spy/espionage novels.

On deck: Kate Mosse's 'Sepulchre', Paul Auster's 'Invisible'.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:28 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

After finishing Follett's 'Eye of the Needle', I've delved into Kate Mosse's 'Sepulchre'. Interesting read thus far - it's switching back and forth between past (1891) and present, takes place in France. The 1891 period follows a young lady who takes a trip to the country with her brother to visit an aunt, but the brother is mixed up in something (I don't know what yet), and the place they're staying at has some spooky past/ghosts and spirits and such. The present day follows another young lady who is off trying to find history about her ancestors as well as do some research for a paper or book she's trying to write. She meets up with a tarot card reader and gets a strange reading and weird vibes from the cards which she now has in her possession. There's a connection with both time periods I'm sure, but I'm waiting for it to unravel. Through the first 200 pages, about 350 to go.

Paul Auster's 'Invisible' is up next. I also got King's newest epic 'Under the Dome' as a Christmas gift from my cousin, which I'm excited about. That 1000-page mass will be quite the undertaking -- I basically get to read on clusters, it's all-or-none.

*This is actually posted today, January 7, 2010 but I noticed the last post was a double, so I just edited it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:39 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished up 'Sepulchre' -- a fun read. Mosse provides nice descriptions of the settings/French regions where the story takes place; good character development. Nice conversion on past and present in terms of linking the female in present with the female and her family of the past. Plus, a fun little spook story of using tarot cards to summon Asmodeus. Both time periods have some villain as well.

Currently half-way through Paul Auster's 'Invisible'. So far so good, but I always enjoy his writing. Nothing mysterious or puzzling as in some of his novels, but definitely strange aspects of the main character's life that unfolds. As always, Auster tackles the notion of identity, and I always enjoy how he goes about it.

On deck: Raymond Khoury's 'The Sanctuary', Stephen King's 'Under The Dome'

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:08 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished up Auster's 'Invisible'. Now reading Alan Furst's 'Kingdom of Shadows' -- an espionage spy novel, Europe 1938, loaned to me from someone at work. Interesting first quarter thus far.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:18 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

After finishing 'Kingdom of Shadows', which was excellent BTW, I tackled 2 books at once (though it took longer than usual, especially since available time was lacking). One was another Furst novel, 'The Foreign Correspondent' loaned from the same person as KoS; the second was Khoury's 'The Sanctuary'. Finally finished both books today. I'm really happy I was introduced to Alan Furst -- he's a fun read. Very descriptive, character driven, always circa WWI or WWII Europe. Damn fine espionage/spy fiction. Khoury's 'The Sanctuary' is a different read -- more pop fiction perhaps, but still entertaining. I enjoyed his first novel 'The Last Templar' so I thought I'd give his second book a try. It was good -- worth the bargain bin price ($6.98). He uses the same device of writing about characters in the past and links them to events/characters in present time. This took place in the middle East and follows the search of some formula for an elixir that would slow down the aging process (which seems to be a topic that scientists are looking into). I thought of 'Long Live Walter Jameson'.

Next up: Stephen King's "Under The Dome"

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:36 pm 
The General
The General

WOW! My last post was almost a year ago! I have gone through all the Jane Whitfield books except the last one and must say loved them all:
Vanishing Act (1995)
Dance For the Dead (1996)
Shadow Woman (1997)
The Face Changers (1998)
Blood Money (2000)
The latest is Runner and I will get to that eventually....I found a new author, to me anyway, Greg Iles and he wrote a fabulous book entitled Third Degree which enraptured me the entire read.....his books are mighty big too.....
Now I am gravitating toward my favorite author ever, that I haven't read in a few years I believe. Dean Koontz. I have had my eye on his Odd Thomas series and have started on the first one, although I am having a hard time getting into it. I am sure it is because I haven't had the time to "sit down" and read a bunch at once.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:59 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Almost finished with King's 'Under the Dome'. This massive text of just over 1000 pages is a very good read. There are times where I can't put it down, but have to because I have to go to work or some other function. I envision what this would be if it were made into a movie or 3-part miniseries. Though they never turn out as good as the books, this one would be an entertaining viewing. It certainly is an entertaining read.

About a month ago, as I was reading the King novel, I also picked up Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend' and finally read that. Great story and definitely better than the current movie version with Will Smith. I still prefer the Vincent Price flick as it stays closest to the book. I've also gotten through some of Matheson's shorts that were put in with the novel.

On Deck (once King is complete): The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (on loan from a friend, and apparently highly recommended from a few people I know).

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:29 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Finished: Feed, Freakanomics and The Overton Window. Just picked up a Nook and downloaded a Bentley Little novel that I've burned about half-way through already. Love the Nook and I feel this is the direction publishing and reading is headed. Anyone else own one of these amazing machines?

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:15 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
The Complete Stories of Robert Bloch

Volume One: Final Reckonings

Volume Two: Bitter Ends

Easy to read short stories that never get stale. Most I've read before and others are new to me. Good for plane flights, terminals, and stormy nights. A nice mixture of both his sci-fi, horror, and noir-esque tales.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:57 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Rorschach wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
As there isn't anywhere to post about books, I thought I'd post on here. Are there many big readers here, and if so which authors and books do you like? I love reading fiction, my favourite authors are David Gemmell, CS Lewis, Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. My favourite books are Dracula and Wolf In Shadow.

By the way if anyone thinks I can't spell favourite properly, I can, I just use the British spelling because I live in England 8) .

Love mysteries too. When talking about the greatest authors in the genre though, you can't leave out the legendary Mickey Spillane, with his Mike Hammer novels and countless other books, short stories, novellas and comic strips, which lead to several movies and two Hammer TV shows. He did these 3 great short story compilations with Max Allan Collins too, where they both edited and contributed stories of their own. Murder Is My Business (hitmen/assasins), Vengeance Is Hers (stories with female leads or where women got revenge) and Private Eyes (straight PI detective stories).

I know of Spillane's reputation of course, just I've never read him, I'll have to though, I especially love stories about private eyes like Philip Marlowe and the Continental Op.

I have the first six Mike Hammer Novels, and so far I've read the first three, they are great, glad you recommended them Anthony :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:19 am 

I'm reading this book now! It's jam packed with information and good reading! I highly recommend this to all of my friends!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:58 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Over 7 months without a post! I've been reading a bunch lately - here's the recap:

3 Sherlock Holmes novels (A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (preachy, sociopolitical "reality tv"-like novel)

Now I'm onto H.G. Wells. Finished up The Time Machine; now right in the middle of The Island of Dr. Moreau. I'm liking Wells -- very interesting ideas and concepts for living in the late 1800s. I'm also currently reading Paul Auster's Sunset Park -- also a good read set in, where else, Brooklyn NY. Nothing mysterious here as of yet, but very character-driven. It reminds me of his other book The Brooklyn Follies.

Since my last post (last summer), but prior to the Holmes books I read through a couple books of short stories in the vein of the Twilight Zone, Evil at Heart by Chelsea Cain, a book of shorts from Stephen King (Just After Sunset), The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst and Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott.

What's everyone else been reading??

Unread postPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:59 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
... Now I'm onto H.G. Wells. Finished up The Time Machine; now right in the middle of The Island of Dr. Moreau. I'm liking Wells -- very interesting ideas and concepts for living in the late 1800s... What's everyone else been reading??

1st - good choice in reading there, Lazy.

2nd: Robert Bloch Collections of short stories (Final Reckonings, Bitter Ends, Last Rites) and tech manuals/proposals.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Wow! I haven't posted anything in this thread in well over two years! Where does the time go!?! I really need to read more. I spend most of my down time watching movies and TV. What have I read...what have I read...Ah yes...

Finished Koontz: (Not a big Koontz guy after reading these. I probably won't read anymore of his books.)
"The Servants of Twilight" by Dean Koontz
"Watchers" by Dean Koontz

Finished King:
"Skeleton Crew" by Stephen King
"Danse Macabre" by Stephen King
"Night Shift" by Stephen King"
"Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King
"Nightmares and Dreamscapes" by Stephen King
(I love King's short stories. "Survivor Type" made me light-headed from the graphic description of what the main character was doing to himself, and I am not grossed out easily).

Finished books about Movies and TV:
"Rod Serling's Night Gallery" - a "companion" book by Scott Skelton and Jim Benson
"The Twilight Zone: Unlocking the Door to a Television Classic" by Martin Grams
"Hollywood Science" by Sidney Perkowitz
"Wanting To Believe: A Critical Guide to the X-Files" by Robert Shearman

Currently Reading:
"Without Warning" by John Birmingham
(Nearly all of the continental U.S. and Canada are engulfed by a force that kills everyone in it. The world is forced to pick up the pieces, or goes to pieces...)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:31 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

DrMoreau wrote:
The Complete Stories of Robert Bloch

Volume One: Final Reckonings

Volume Two: Bitter Ends

Easy to read short stories that never get stale. Most I've read before and others are new to me. Good for plane flights, terminals, and stormy nights. A nice mixture of both his sci-fi, horror, and noir-esque tales.

Woo Hoo!!! More short story recommendations! They never get old.

Maybe my fondness of short stories explains my obsession with TV anthologies.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:48 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Over 7 months without a post! I've been reading a bunch lately - here's the recap:

3 Sherlock Holmes novels (A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Now I'm onto H.G. Wells. Finished up The Time Machine; now right in the middle of The Island of Dr. Moreau. I'm liking Wells -- very interesting ideas and concepts for living in the late 1800s

I've just read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon after buying The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, and after finishing them I read Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula, Dr Jekyll and Mr Holmes, and last but not least Sherlock Holmes meets the Phantom of the Opera.

Like DrM I'm also a HG Wells fan, having read the Time Machine, The Invisible Man, The War of the Worlds, and The First Men in the Moon, which I've just reread again recently in fact before Sherlock Holmes.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 am 

whitsbrain wrote:
Finished Koontz: (Not a big Koontz guy after reading these. I probably won't read anymore of his books.)

I agree and could have saved you the time before you went down this dreary journey.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:45 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Rorschach wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Now I'm onto H.G. Wells. Finished up The Time Machine; now right in the middle of The Island of Dr. Moreau. I'm liking Wells -- very interesting ideas and concepts for living in the late 1800s

I've just read the complete Sherlock Holmes canon after buying The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, and after finishing them I read Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula, Dr Jekyll and Mr Holmes, and last but not least Sherlock Holmes meets the Phantom of the Opera.

Like DrM I'm also a HG Wells fan, having read the Time Machine, The Invisible Man, The War of the Worlds, and The First Men in the Moon, which I've just reread again recently in fact before Sherlock Holmes.

That's awesome! I have a leatherbound copy put out by Barnes&Noble titled 'The Complete Sherlock Holmes', which includes the 3 books I read plus The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Valley of Fear, His Last Bow, and The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes.

I finished up Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau and have begun The Invisible Man.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:41 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

That's awesome! I have a leatherbound copy put out by Barnes&Noble titled 'The Complete Sherlock Holmes', which includes the 3 books I read plus The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Valley of Fear, His Last Bow, and The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes.

I finished up Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau and have begun The Invisible Man.

Cool 8) my annotated versions are a little weird, they make out like Sherlock Holmes was a real person, but nice volumes too. As for the Invisible Man I love the Claude Rains movie version as well as the book :)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
My favourite author is John Wyndham who wrote TZ-like books (Day of the Triffids, The Chrysalids, The Midwich Cuckoos (Village of the Damned), Chocky) where everyday people with everyday lives get things turned upside down by a supernatural event (meteor shower blinding the world, children of alien visitors, evolution over one generation, etc.) and the author plays through the consequences quite naturally.

I'm afraid I'm brushing up on my Blender skills so I'm reading technical books but I am looking for some good reading while on honeymoon in November. I think I'd like to read some short story books. Which one is Stephen King's story "The Mist" in?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:23 am 

MrRSerling wrote:
I think I'd like to read some short story books. Which one is Stephen King's story "The Mist" in?

Dark Forces or Skeleton Crew. The Skeleton Crew version is a little different than Dark Forces but probably the most read version.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:44 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I just finished "The Sacred Symbols of Mu" by Churchward.
Even among Atlantis / Lemuria / Mu writers, Churchward has a funny image, because he constantly mentioned incredibly ancient tablets he'd deciphered, but wouldn't produce them or tell the locations where he'd found them! Either way, it's very interesting.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:02 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
DrMoreau wrote:
MrRSerling wrote:
I think I'd like to read some short story books. Which one is Stephen King's story "The Mist" in?

Dark Forces or Skeleton Crew. The Skeleton Crew version is a little different than Dark Forces but probably the most read version.

Cheers Dr M. How so different? What are the differences? (no spoilers please) :)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:38 pm 

MrRSerling wrote:
DrMoreau wrote:
MrRSerling wrote:

Cheers Dr M. How so different? What are the differences? (no spoilers please) :)

Dark Forces version - going from memory - was a little more heavily edited than the Skeleton Crew version. More depth and overall background that was seen by an editor and superfluous I'm suspecting. Similar to the original release of "The Stand" compared to the Late 80s release with the extra 400 pages. Skeleton Crew is my choice for versions to read.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:50 pm 

Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:
I just finished "The Sacred Symbols of Mu" by Churchward.
Even among Atlantis / Lemuria / Mu writers, Churchward has a funny image, because he constantly mentioned incredibly ancient tablets he'd deciphered, but wouldn't produce them or tell the locations where he'd found them! Either way, it's very interesting.

God I love these books. Corny as hell at times. I found a bunch of his books, and others, Edgar Casey, etc, at an estate sell in the 80s - all hard covers. Supposedly he was able to translate Aztec Tablets found in Mexico.
Attachment:
Mu_map.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:12 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Never heard of him. Interesting, though.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:11 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Finished up The Invisible Man. Good read. Interesting, too, that I found myself rooting for him. He seemed an angry, violent, incensed individual but I never wanted him to get caught. Ending reminded me of An American Werewolf in London. I also finished Paul Auster's Sunset Park, which I also enjoyed, and didn't end as I had hoped (hoped for a happy ending, didn't work out that way). Up next War of the Worlds.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:16 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Finished up The Invisible Man. Good read. Interesting, too, that I found myself rooting for him. He seemed an angry, violent, incensed individual but I never wanted him to get caught.

I agree. I love the original Universal movie version of it with Claude Rains. I holds true to H.G.'s atmosphere and tone. Having viewed the movie years before I read the book, I was happy how familiar and true both versions are to each other.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:29 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

DrMoreau wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Finished up The Invisible Man. Good read. Interesting, too, that I found myself rooting for him. He seemed an angry, violent, incensed individual but I never wanted him to get caught.

I agree. I love the original Universal movie version of it with Claude Rains. I holds true to H.G.'s atmosphere and tone. Having viewed the movie years before I read the book, I was happy how familiar and true both versions are to each other.

Excellent! I have it in queue for my Netflix streaming. Hopefully will get to it sometime in the next couple weeks.

I finished 'War of the Worlds', and am currently 3/4 through 'The First Men In The Moon'. I've really been enjoying H.G. Wells' writing.

I'm also reading Paul Auster's 'The Music of Chance', which is one of his earlier works. So far it's fairly interesting: follows a guy whose life is a bit frazzled -- wife left him, he didn't feel he could appropriately take care of his daughter so he pawned her off on his sister and brother-in-law, he retired from firefighting after receiving an inheritance from a father he barely knew, and now spent the majority of the cash on a prolonged road trip. Now he's looking to increase his squandered stash just enough to start a new life. He stumbles upon a young scrawny punk who supposedly can play a mean game of poker. (TZ DZ, I was thinking you might be interested in reading this). Right now I'm at the point where the young kid and the protagonist are at a millionaire's home to play some poker and hopefully score big.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:22 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

I love the Claude Rains film version too, out of interest have either of you seen the 1984 BBC mini series of "The Invisible Man"? it's very faithful to the book, even more so than the Rains film, it's set in Victorian times etc. It stars a not very well known British actor called Pip Donaghy who manages to give a performance as good as Claude Rains as hard as that is to believe, and Rains is one of my fav actors too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next