Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:08 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14448494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Superman's debut comic book sells for $1 million

JNEW YORK — A rare copy of the first comic book featuring Superman sold today for $1 million, smashing the previous record price for a comic book.

A 1938 edition of Action Comics No. 1, widely considered the Holy Grail of comic books, was sold from a private seller to a private buyer, neither of whom released their names. The issue features Superman lifting a car on its cover and originally cost 10 cents.

The transaction was conducted by the auction site ComicConnect.com. Stephen Fishler, co-owner of the site and its sister dealership, Metropolis Collectibles, orchestrated the sale.

Fishler said it transpired minutes after the issue was put on sale at around 10:30 a.m. Eastern time. He said that the seller was a "well known individual" in New York with a pedigree collection, and that the buyer was a known customer who previously bought an Action Comics No. 1 of lesser grade.

"It's considered by most people as the most important book," said John Dolmayan, a comic book enthusiast and dealer best known as the drummer for System of a Down. "It kind of ushered in the age of the superheroes."

Dolmayan, who owns Torpedo Comics, last year paid $317,000 for an Action Comics No. 1 issue for a client. Others have sold for more than $400,000, he said, but this copy fetched a much higher price because it's in better condition. It's rated an "8.0 grade," or "very fine."

Dolmayan said he didn't buy this copy but he wishes he could have.

"The fact that this book is completely un-restored and still has an 8.0 grade, it's kind of like a diamond or a precious stone. It's very rare," he said.

There are only about 100 copies of Action Comics No. 1 believed to be in existence, and only a handful have been rated so highly. It's rarer still for those copies to be made available for sale.

"The opportunity to buy an un-restored, high-grade Action One comes along once every two decades," Fishler said. "It's certainly a milestone."

The sticker shock was astounding to Fishler, nevertheless.

"It is still a little stunning to see 'a comic book' and '$1 million' in the same sentence," Fishler said. "There's only one time a collectible hits the $1 million threshold."

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:10 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

Nice - Unrestored and still rates and 8 - now that was a collectors wet dream.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:35 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
That price is nothing compared to what I will get someday for my issues of the Punisher v2 #60-62 where he becomes black for a couple issues :evil: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:07 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Super, Man, a cool million for this book that was worth a dime.

Kapt, thanks for posting this.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:49 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
WOW, I guess the economy is HUMMING for some folks. :wtf: You wouldn't expect a record at this time would ya? :?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:01 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

i actually got to hold one of these copies once at a con back in the "80's. that and a copy of Adventure Comics # 247 on the same day. and once way before then, i held a copy of SUPERMAN #1.
i felt that i was holding history in my hands on those days.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:15 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Mr.Y, that's cool. I wish I could do the same.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:48 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Here's a natural follow-up to the first one million dollar sale of a comic book:

http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniverse/spiderman-debut-comic-sells-big/story/feature/?gt1=28101

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- A comic collector has been caught in Spider-Man's web, paying $1.1 million for a near-mint copy of "Amazing Fantasy" No. 15, which features the wall-crawler's debut.
The issue, first published in 1962, was sold Monday by a private seller to a private buyer, ComicConnect.com chief executive Stephen Fishler told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

It's not the highest price ever paid for a comic book, an honor that goes to "Action Comics" No. 1 with Superman on the cover, which went for $1.5 million.

But Fishler says the price paid is the most for a book from the Silver Age, the mid-1950s to about 1970.

"The fact that a 1962 comic has sold for $1.1 million is a bit of a record-shattering event," he said. "That something that recent can sell for that much and be that valuable is awe-inspiring."

Usually, it has been comics from the Golden Age — typically from the late 1930s to the early 1950s — that draw seven-figure sums.

In March 2010, a copy of the 1938 edition of "Action Comics" No. 1 sold for $1.5 million on ComicConnect's website. That issue features the debut of Superman and originally sold for 10 cents.

In February 2010, Heritage Auctions in Dallas sold a rare copy of "Detective Comics" No. 27, which featured the debut of Batman, for $1,075,500. Fishler said the same issue had initially sold for just $2,500 in 1985 and for $140,000 in 2000.

"Over the last decade it has become a rather legendary copy because it was in the hands of a collector and no one thought he would sell," Fishler said. "The owner came up with a figure that he didn't think anyone would pay, and it was paid."

"Amazing Fantasy" No. 15 has long been prized by collectors because of Spider-Man's debut. It has been reprinted and made available as a hardcover, too.

The cover, drawn by Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, shows Spider-Man clutching a villain in one arm and swinging from his web with the other. It originally sold for 12 cents.

Writer Stan Lee and Ditko co-created the web-slinger and his alter ego, the awkward but educationally gifted Peter Parker, who was bitten by a radioactive spider.

"Spider-Man is one of Marvel's flagship characters, so, yeah, I'd say 'Amazing Fantasy' is very important," said Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Axel Alonso. "Funny thing is, the series — which was formerly titled 'Amazing Adult Fantasy' — was scheduled for cancellation before issue 'Amazing Fantasy' No. 15 hit stands. It ended up being one of Marvel's highest sellers at the time, and paving the road for the 'Amazing Spider-Man' series that's run monthly ever since."

It also helped pave the way for Spider-Man adventures on the radio, television and the movie screen.

Lee worked for Marvel for decades, eventually becoming its editor-in-chief, and then starting other businesses, including, most recently, POW! Entertainment.

He said, given the price paid for the issue, "I wish had saved my old Spider-Man books."

Back in the early 1960s, there was never any thought of saving extra issues or the original artwork that made up comics because there was no space to store the artwork or books sent back by the printer.

"So if someone came to deliver our lunch or sandwiches or something, before he'd left we'd say 'Hey, fella! You want to take these books with you or this artwork with you?'" Lee said. "We were giving all that stuff away. Nobody thought to save these books."

Lee said there is more to the price tag than just money.

"I think it's just wonderful that these old books are now considered, in some way, ancient treasures and are thought of so highly that people would give so much money for them," he said. "I would never have believed it, but I am very impressed."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A personal and tragic note about this:
way back in the late eighties, I had an opportunity to buy a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 in Fine condition for $500. I passed on it because it seemed like a lot of money at the time and I just didn't want to dish out that much (my job didn't pay all that much at the time). I began to regret this a few years later as the price for the book began to rise sharply. Today, I really regret it. :cry:

As members here are aware, there's a big difference between a book in Near Mint condition and Fine condition, especially when one gets into the old, rare books. But even a Fine copy of AF #15 can easily fetch 10 grand nowadays. I'm now going to get really drunk. :wasted: Oh, wait.. it's early morning; I'll wait until this evening....

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:55 pm 

:P Beware The Creeper Number ONE! Worth at least $140.00 in VF!!! :P

Image :ROTF:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:50 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I don't have that one but I do have this one:
However... it's only 10 bucks in VF. :x :oops:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 pm 

At least you don't have THIS one! :ROTF:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I have 2 of these, which at their peak , as I recall, was $50 or so. Not that impressive, still pretty cool imho.
I have hundreds of comics, I may just have some other gems, going to have to take them to a comic shop
someday and get them appraised, may sell some of them on ebay.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:57 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Yeah, I Have that one too - The Death of Superman (from 1993 I think). He got killed by Doomsday but eventually returned (comic book stories... :roll: ). I still remember the media blitz from that time; it was one of the rare comic book storylines that made the news outside the usual comic book industry parameters.

You're probably right about it getting to $50; I don't really remember. It goes for about 20 bucks these days, if in NM condition. That happened with several key books from that period ('90s to 2002 or so); the initial hype made the sale price/worth soar in the immediate year or two; then it deflated. Over at Marvel, for example, there was an issue of Alpha Flight where-in one of the hero members of a team came out of the closet; all the hype - and I guess it was unusual - made the book's price jump to $20 or so within a year; now it's worth a couple of bucks. That's the downside of collecting & speculating. :twisted:

My own copy of that Superman issue above - the book and contents (there's a map) are intact and in NM condition, but the bag itself has been opened at the top (I wanted to check out the inside). So, how does that affect the price..? I don't really expect an answer here; that's one of those obscure aspects of collecting which I don't really know, even though I've been a collector most of my adult life.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:21 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Yeah, sad fact about comic collecting is its usually not lucrative, unless you wait several decades.
and even that can be a gamble.

I was at a comic convention recently, and a lot of people were clamoring for Hulk #181. Which was going in the ballpark of $500.00 to $600.00. Relatively not that great, considering the age.
It may be profitable if you have several of said books.

Now, this above book is worth around $850.oo at VF. It was first published in 1974, going for 25 cents.
So it would have been a great return on investment, if you bought it then, and kept it sealed up. Yet, not the greatest investment,sadly.
There are probably only a handful or so of 70's books that jumped well in value.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:39 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I never opened my copies of The Death of Superman: so, I am not sure if this pertains to you or not>>>

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERMAN-NO-DEATH ... 38&sr=8-14

What amazes me is how baseball cards can go for so much more; yet, one can not read them like a book. All one can do is look at the picture, and read the back and front of the card.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:44 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Hm, I checked that Amazon link - I estimated the worth of my Superman #75 copy @$10; looks like I was on the money, LOL (though, mine would be more than just the comic itself; it's also that map and there's a poster too, I think).

As for the Incredible Hulk #181 - wow, very uncanny that you brought that one up. I'm one of those guys that did buy it off the rack when I was a kid back in 1974, for a quarter. So, this is where collecting/speculating does prove to be a solid (even amazing) investment. Speculating was not on my mind when I bought the issue to read back then and I didn't store it away immediately; so my copy has this crease in the lower right and other damage - I figured it to be in Very Good (VG) condition by the 1990s:
This would make it worth about $200 - not a bad investment, eh?

As some members may be aware, there are professional grading services available now, the biggest being CGC. So... just a month ago, I sent this comic book in and... viola!:

It was graded a 6.0 or Fine! Now it's worth (in theory) about $300.00
That's on a quarter investment, plus $35 to get it graded. That's the journey this comic book has been on, since its publication in 1974; it could have easily been trashed by someone's mom back in 1980 or so. And, yes, I think these collectibles are far more interesting than baseball cards. But, to each his own, I guess.

But, when you get it graded and slabbed like that, you can no longer read it... :? Then you have to resort to reprints or something.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:10 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I am a huge Hulk fan, so my interest in the above comic is high, yes great work in keeping it as good of shape as you have, and yes a great investment. I currently own:

I have seen it on ebay for anywhere from 99 cents to 99.99, depending on grade. Yeah, I am aware of CGC thru Wizard magazine, its definitely seems worthy of investing in it. My copy is in fine condition.

No worries about reading the reprints, the comic still reads the same,haha, except of course for the retro ads,that sold things like X-ray glasses , hand buzzers, and black soap lol. Sometimes they eschew these ads.

Yeah, there are even comic book trading cards, similar to baseball cards, just never got into any of these.I am same as you.

Btw, I see that you grew up reading comics in the 70s, my first comic was from middle 70s, it was a free grocery store give-away Marvel origins one shot deal , with origins of Capt. America and Spiderman, and the Hulk, and a few others.
It also had puzzles and activity pages. Would you happen to know what this was called, and how much its worth?
my copy sadly dissapeared.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:30 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Yup, a 9.8 CGC graded copy of #250 is probably placed in auction at around $99 on E-Bay, while the 99-cent ones are probably Fine copies or Very Good. 9.8, btw, translates to Near Mint/Mint quality. 9.9 is Mint, which is extremely rare (like having a copy never touched by human hands - how is that even possible?). :?

I have most of the Hulks from the mid-seventies through the eighties, so I've got that one. Here's my copy:

I believe mine to be in Very Fine at least, maybe NM- or a 9.2; this reminded me to get it out of a box and I think I'll send it in with my next batch of comics to CGC. The nice thing about #250 is it's double-sized and worth more than the other Hulk issues around it (more than #249, for example).

As for that free promotional Capt. America comic you mention from the mid-seventies - no, you kind of got me on that one; I wish I knew which it was off-hand, but the only one I'm aware of is a Spider-Man Captain America Hulk SpiderWoman giveaway from 1981; these are usually worth about $20 in NM but only 6 bucks or so in Fine. I don't have this, just heard about it. There was also one called Spider-Man vs. Prodigy in 1976, some kind of sex-ed comic, believe it or not; and a Spider-Man vs. Hulk in 1979 (all giveaways).

Speaking of puzzles/riddles, I also have a Mighty Marvel Superheroes Fun Book from the mid-seventies, but this is an actual book (aimed at kids), not a comic book.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:51 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I actually started Hulk late with the Joe Fixit run (authored by Peter David ). I then started to back log. I have most from the 290's upward to today.

I have a reprint of the first issue of HULK:

My reprint is not worth much, sadly, yet I have read that a Mint copie is worth $27Gs.

Your issue #250 looks in great shape.
I was wondering were people bagging and boarding comics when you first started collecting?

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Oh yeah, thanks for tip, I found this:

This just maybe it, it was a cool read. Thanks alot.

I also have this:( this is not my issue, sorry)

Mine looks to be vf shape however, which I saw on ebay for the asking price of $85. hmmmm :D

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:49 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Mr.Z wrote:
Oh yeah, thanks for tip, I found this:

This just maybe it, it was a cool read. Thanks alot.

Yeah, that's the one I was refering to (don't have it but saw pictures of the cover before).

As far as Hulk issues, the only other one I have of any real value is this one:

This is because of the grade - the rare 9.8 that I have.
This relates to your question of bagging & boarding. This Hulk #340 of mine was sitting in a box unbagged & unboarded, :o for about 20 years! I finally took it out and sent it to get graded a couple of months ago. I was astonished when it got a 9.8 - it had been unprotected until I sent it, so it was just crazy luck, in a way. It was an oversight on my part - I just forgot about the comic; it turned out well, almost too well. But, it also raises questions on bagging & boarding; I've had comics get bent while bagged & boarded, due to bad placement in a box, for example.

Anyway, your question on bagging & boarding takes me back to the dim past of the seventies and my memories of that era are rather... dim. What I do remember: in the '70s, certain dealers from which one would buy via mail order ads in the comic books themselves (no internet yet) would already be bagging comic books, and usually (not always) boarding; comics at conventions were usually bagged, not always boarded, but the materials for the bags & boards were usually cheap and shoddy compared to the 'industry standards' today. Bags would start to deteriorate in a decade, for example; some boards were crappy cardboard style. Young collectors like me didn't bother to start bagging & boarding until the eighties began, and then only the choice comic books. By that point, the specialty comic book shops were around - starting in the late seventies, I think. So that's why many of my seventies comic books have creases, folds and fraying; my eighties books are generally in better shape. But, other collectors my age did indeed already bag their books in the seventies; I think boarding was done less at that early point, like 50% of the bagging.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:51 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Thanks for your very informative response. Oddly, as a lad in the 70s, I never got into superhero comics. I read some richie rich and caspar,
but then veered into Mad magazine, which was a bit more mature, current and irreverent. And then other satire mags, and never bagged them.
Later in the 80's, from suggestions from a good friend, I picked up Marvel's books. I did not bag in the beginning. But then I noticed Mylar was protecting books, so I went that route.

Congrats on your being able to preserve Hulk 340 so well. That should be worth alot of money.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:57 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I found Hulk 340 on ebay, your same grade:

http://cgi.ebay.com/INCREDIBLE-HULK-340 ... _500wt_922

It may be going for even more, one copy with 4 covers is worth like $3000.00.

Congrats :D

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Thanks - of course, I don't have one with 4 covers. :lol: The seller of that one has been trying to sell it on E-Bay for a few months now (unless it's another one with 4 covers, which I really doubt). I think his asking price is a little steep; I mean, 4 covers, to me, means 4 times the price of regular 9.8 or about a grand. (I'm kind of kidding; maybe it is rare enuff to warrant that high an asking price).

I think $295 is at the high end possible for a regular 9.8 like mine, as in the auction you linked to; I doubt someone would pay that much at this time; in the current market, a more feasible sale price is probably in the $200 range.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Yes, I have seen this phenomenon where people try to sell something for way more than its worth, on ebay. And still
it remains for months on end that same price. A hint to them, maybe reduce your asking price a tad :D
My guess is : that book is worth as much as the maximum it gets :D It is a rare error, sadly I had a Hulk, issue 358 I think,
that had mulitple covers, but sold it for very cheap, with out knowing that it could be worth alot more, alas...

$200.00 + is pretty good, considering how much you payed for it originally.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:05 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I just had to include this story here, considering what was posted several posts above. This just happened, I think, though I'm not sure of the date or exactly when. It's significant in that it's the first Bronze Age i.e. the seventies (as opposed to the Silver Age) comic book to sell at over a hundred grand:

http://hulk181.com/

Did You Know a Comic Book from 1974 Can Be Worth Several Times Its Weight in Gold?

NEWS FLASH!!! THE SOLE EXISTING 9.9 COPY OF HULK 181 HAS SOLD FOR $150,000 AT COMIC LINK
– A RECORD PRICE FOR NOT ONLY THE INCREDIBLE HULK #181 BUT ANY BOOK FROM THE 1970′s
!

Image There are several comic books from 1974 that can be worth just that much! The comic book covered here is The Incredible Hulk #181. Wondering why The Incredible Hulk #181 is worth so much? What is it about this comic that continues to push demand through the roof and make it almost as liquid as cash? If you invested $25 on 100 copies of Hulk 181 in August of 1974 and safely stored them away, you would have a collection worth $100,000 to $1,000,000 today assuming they all graded 9.0′s to 9.8′s! In fact, it has gotten so valuable, a handful of very high grade copies of Hulk #181 have become worth their weight in gold or even platinum! An average comic book weighs approximately 1.5 ounces. At the time this post was published (November 30th, 2010) Gold’s current price was about $1,370 a troy ounce and Platinum was trading at about $1,653 an ounce. The last 9.6 condition copy of Hulk #181 sold for $4,000 or $2,666 an ounce and the last 9.8 condition copy sold for a whopping $12,600 or $8,400 an ounce!

The Top 7 Reasons Hulk #181 is Worth So Much -- read the rest here: http://hulk181.com/

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Great News to read, Kaptain. Thank you for sharing this info.

I was just at a Knights of Columbus Comic Book show, and saw a copy of Hulk 181 on sale for $400.00 ( sadly did not get the grade, but it looked in good condition from where I stood). I wish I had the money for it at the time. Now, knowing this info, I know that $400 for that copy would have been a steal. I have to go find that copy :D

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I also found it to be a bit eerie that you started to write about Hulk #181 on this thread over a week ago and then this record-breaking sale happened right afterward (I found out about it yesterday and I think it happened the day before, or maybe a couple of days ago). Looks like we were doing some serious prognostication here about comic book sales and weren't even aware of it..! :o :bell:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:20 pm 
Director of the National Post

Kaptain Kirk........... I have been reading this thread and checking out a few of your comics.

You care to list any other "interesting" ones or perhaps some favorites that you own?

My collecting went from baseball cards when I was very young, (which included a few autographs too). Then I kind of got away from that.

Perhaps 6 years ago I got into collecting TZ and Outer Limits autographed material pretty heavy, but those days are pretty much passed too. I do have a tremendous amount of stuff signed, with much of it in the episode threads or elsewhere on site.

Other collectible stuff and memorabilia of mine (and several other board members) is located here in this thread......... ----------------------> viewtopic.php?f=14&t=428

I do still have a big bag of comic books, that I had when I was younger. Its actually not here, its in another family members place.
From what I remember they were not in very good condition though. :(
I had perhaps 50 comic books, but I had probably another 20-30 various ones from before I was ever old enough to start "collecting" or going and buying in the store.
These have to be from the early to mid 70's - up through around 1980.
Maybe the next time I visit that family member, I will have to dig those up, do a little research, and see what I have.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Kaptain Kirk........... I have been reading this thread and checking out a few of your comics.

You care to list any other "interesting" ones or perhaps some favorites that you own?

Other collectible stuff and memorabilia of mine (and several other board members) is located here in this thread......... ----------------------> viewtopic.php?f=14&t=428

I do still have a big bag of comic books, that I had when I was younger. Its actually not here, its in another family members place.
From what I remember they were not in very good condition though. :(
I had perhaps 50 comic books, but I had probably another 20-30 various ones from before I was ever old enough to start "collecting" or going and buying in the store.
These have to be from the early to mid 70's - up through around 1980.
TZ DZ Fan

Hm, I have a lot more than 50, fer sure. I'll post something to that other thread on collectibles. I think I didn't try posting anything there before because the thread seemed to concentrate on signed TZ memorabilia and I figured my contribution there would be almost off-topic. But, I'll pick something out and see what happens...

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm 

Kaptain Kirk wrote:
Hm, I have a lot more than 50, fer sure. I'll post something to that other thread on collectibles. I think I didn't try posting anything there before because the thread seemed to concentrate on signed TZ memorabilia and I figured my contribution there would be almost off-topic. But, I'll pick something out and see what happens...

The majority of people here that were into collecting, just happened to have alot of that sort of thing, although the thread was open to anyone here, and whatever they collect really.

On that note, I remember having quite a few of the G.I. Combat comic books back in the early 80s. I doubt if they are worth anything... (of course the conditon mine were in leave a bit to be desired too..........) :(

I can vaguely remember at the time that they were fairly popular , but that isn't necessarily so in the case of collectors and real value of course.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
I remember having quite a few of the G.I. Combat comic books back in the early 80s. I doubt if they are worth anything... (of course the conditon mine were in leave a bit to be desired too..........) :(

I can vaguely remember at the time that they were fairly popular , but that isn't necessarily so in the case of collectors and real value of course. TZ DZ fan

Hm, you picked one that I'm not too familiar with - I do know it's DC Comics and it was a war comic; the series ended in 1987 (I looked it up). The ones you refer to in the eighties are worth $10-$20 when in VF to NM condition; yours are probably more in the $3 to $6 range based on what you mention of their condition.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I found this issue>

going for almost $300 on ebay in NM condition. Heres the link>>

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-I-JOE-REAL-AMERIC ... 932wt_1139

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:40 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

$300 - yeah, wow... but we need to specify that this is a 9.8, meaning NM/MINT, not just NM, which is 9.4

The grading scale, when it gets past 9.2 (NM-) is on a kind of logarithmic scale when translated to worth.
A 9.4 sounds like only a little less than 9.8, but a 9.4 G.I. Joe #1 would fetch a lot less than $300...

I mean, here's mine:
Looks great, that 9.6, huh? Well, I probably would be lucky to get $150 for it. That's a 9.6 and that other is a 9.8 - that's the difference. A 9.4... well, maybe $75. And NM- or 9.2 is in the $40 range. We've gone from $300 to $40. That's from a 9.8 to a 9.2. That's the weird reality of modern grading. A G.I.Joe #1 in 8.0 VF or over a grade point less than a 9.2 is worth about $20. Even though it's over a point lower, it's reduced by only 50% in worth. But a 9.8 is worth about 7.5 times that of a 9.2.

It gets even more extreme with older books; then a 9.8 may be worth 10x or 12x a 9.2 - it's nuts. And when we get into the 9.9 stuff... well, I refer you back to The Hulk #181. A 9.8 Hulk #181 would probably get you 10 grand, maybe 15 grand. Look what happened with the 9.9 :smoke:

Oh, and, quick note, in case anyone is under that impression -- G.I. Combat and G.I. Joe are 2 different comic book series, by 2 different comics companies.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:47 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Right, I missed the combat part, sorry.
TZ DZ do you have any G.I. Joe comics?

I have this>>

This was pretty hot in its day. I saw it on ebay going for just under 30 bucks.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:01 am 

Mr.Z wrote:
TZ DZ do you have any G.I. Joe comics?

That would be negative.
I do have probably 8-10 of the G.I. Combat books though, its just a matter of getting my hands on them, and the others.

In the coming weeks, I am going to one of my parents houses, and I will most likely try and dig up what I have.

If Kaptain Kirk doesn't mind, I will most likely send him a list of that I have, and he can give me a general ballpark idea of what they are worth. ;)

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:00 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
I do have probably 8-10 of the G.I. Combat books though, its just a matter of getting my hands on them, and the others.

In the coming wweeks, I am going to one of my parents houses, and I will most likely try and dig up what I have.

If Kaptain Kirk doesn't mind, I will most likely send him a list of that I have, and he can give me a general ballpark idea of what they are worth. ;) TZ DZ fan

No problem. 8)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:18 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Kaptain Kirk wrote:
TZ DZ Fan wrote:

In the coming wweeks, I am going to one of my parents houses, and I will most likely try and dig up what I have.

If Kaptain Kirk doesn't mind, I will most likely send him a list of that I have, and he can give me a general ballpark idea of what they are worth. ;) TZ DZ fan

No problem. 8)

TZ DZ, I hope you find them. And hope they are worth alot.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:51 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

UPDATE: Some good news on the Hulk #250 I sent in to CGC to get graded (see several posts back).
I just got it back the other day and it's a...

A 9.6 translates to NEAR MINT+ :dance: That's the 2nd-highest of known grade for it (9.8 being the highest - I don't know of any 9.9s).

I really lowballed my expectation of it - I thought it would get a 9.2 (I'm not complaining, of course).
It seems like I was seeing minor imperfections on the book where there weren't any.

This doesn't happen too often - my being off that much in my favor (if it happened a lot, I probably would be a rich man :smoke: ). I could probably sell it for 40 bucks or so... but I'm not really anxious to sell it at this time. So far, I'm having some good luck with the Hulks I have.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:22 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Kaptain Kirk wrote:
UPDATE: Some good news on the Hulk #250 I sent in to CGC to get graded (see several posts back).
I just got it back the other day and it's a...

A 9.6 translates to NEAR MINT+ :dance: That's the 2nd-highest of known grade for it (9.8 being the highest - I don't know of any 9.9s).

I really lowballed my expectation of it - I thought it would get a 9.2 (I'm not complaining, of course).
It seems like I was seeing minor imperfections on the book where there weren't any.

This doesn't happen too often - my being off that much in my favor (if it happened a lot, I probably would be a rich man :smoke: ). I could probably sell it for 40 bucks or so... but I'm not really anxious to sell it at this time. So far, I'm having some good luck with the Hulks I have.

Nice, bro. 9.6, thats great, congrats.

I now have 2 of these issues, bought them both for a buck or 2. I will go back to another Comic Show soon, and
buy a few more if I can find them, maybe I can do a multiple grade send, might get lucky :D

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:14 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Mr.Z wrote:
Nice, bro. 9.6, thats great, congrats.

I now have 2 of these issues, bought them both for a buck or 2. I will go back to another Comic Show soon, and
buy a few more if I can find them, maybe I can do a multiple grade send, might get lucky :D

Thanks. Your chances increase, yes, the more you send in - there's luck but also mathemetical odds involved.
If, for example, you send in 4 copies of the same book, chances get pretty good that one of them gets a great grade (no guarantees, of course).

I don't do this myself (send in multiple copies of the same book) but others do; unfortunately, I don't think CGC offers any kind of discount if it's multiple copies of one book. But, modern books (1980 and onward by CGC definitions) cost the least to get graded ($17 plus shipping). Good luck.

PS: oh yes, PGX cheapest rate (moderns) is only $10 plus shipping but PGX-graded books don't carry the same prestige or popularity as CGC, which is the leader in the pro grading field (do they charge too much? probably).

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:22 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

It's happening again - another copy of Action Comics #1 has been entered into auction at ComicConnect.
This one has been graded 9.0 or VeryFine/Near Mint; the copy spotlighted at the start of this thread was only an 8.0 - Very Fine - and sold for a million; I believe that an 8.5 sold for $1.5 million (the record). So, this latest auction will probably result in a record sale - there are already 22 bids and it's up past $1.3 million - with 16 days to go!! :shock: (the auction only ends at the end of this month).

How far can it go..? :o - http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail. ... OMICS-1938 (I would guess $2 mil)

_____________________________ Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:44 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

The anticipated big sale of Action Comics #1 mentioned above is apparently getting a lot of press - at least according to an e-mail i received from ComicConnect earlier today. The auction is only a day away from ending as of this writing and there were finally some new bids in the past day - it's now up past $1.5 million, so it's fairly certain that a new record sale is happening.

I received this info: Last night, news of the ComicConnect.com Event Auction's Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 (current bid $1,306,000) landed on the homepage of Yahoo.com!

Check out this Associated Press video filmed in our showroom that has been airing on news channels and websites across the globe, including ABC News.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AssociatedP ... o7vnP1Bv-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so7vnP1B ... rofilepage

http://youtu.be/so7vnP1Bv-Q

Last Wednesday our COO, Vincent Zurzolo, was invited to Fox Business to speak about the Action #1 as well as the Jerry Siegel Collection.

Let us not forget to mention all of the articles that have been showing up online, many of which can be found on Google News.

Stay tuned for more press! Today our gallery was booked solid by reporters and video crews coming in and out filming about the ComicConnect.com Event Auction

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 pm 

Now see, this is the kind of news I love to hear about. Comic books selling at record prices in open auction. Screw the Twilight Saga and other tween crap. You gotta love it when a 36 page 200+ panel comic can sell for almost 1.5 million 70+ years after its original release.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:39 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
DrMoreau wrote:
Now see, this is the kind of news I love to hear about. Comic books selling at record prices in open auction. Screw the Twilight Saga and other tween crap. You gotta love it when a 36 page 200+ panel comic can sell for almost 1.5 million 70+ years after its original release.

Agreed. Nobody will care about Twilight in 10 years time, never mind 70!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

There's actually some real life drama and history behind this comic book, which I wasn't aware of when I posted about it a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently, it was stolen from a West Coast collector way back in year 2000 and surfaced only fairly recently - it's mentioned in the YouTube video (linked in an above post). It almost sounds like a a movie thriller script - about comic books, which would be unusual. Less than 6 hours to go when the auction ends... it is just past $1.5 million at this stage - 39 bids, I think; I'll be curious to see if there are a lot of bids in the last hour.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:09 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Well, I missed the ending of the auction - got sidetracked by something; it ended about an hour ago.

Sold for a bit over $2 million --- I was close ($2 mil was my guess) -- after 50 bids. :bell: Record! - 1st one to sell over $2m.

I'm now finding out that the owner from whom this copy was stolen in 2000 was none other than Nic Cage, the actor (The Rock, Con Air, Ghost Rider, National Treasure, etc.)...

I knew that Cage had a big comic book collection a while back and then sold it off for some reason; this, turns out, is the reason why - he was so disheartened after his Action Comics #1 was stolen that he sold off his collection. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:18 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Deja vu -- for interested parties... another copy of Action Comics #1 has just gone to auction on eBay a little over an hour ago. It will end in about 10 days. This one is also a CGC 9.0 but with White Pages, which means it's the best copy of the issue in existence. (the previous 9.0 has Cream to Off-White Pages)

Which means... it will probably set a record. It immediately got a bid of one million and, after an hour, is already at $1.6 million.

You can follow it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1 ... 486c0b5949

This auction is also notable because the proceeds will benefit the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:49 pm 

Hey Kaptain.......... where you been hiding? :D

I thought of this thread earlier this week, when I heard another one was going to be listed on EBAY.
I was going to bump it close to the end of the auction, or afterwards with the final tally.

Let us know how it ends.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:22 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Kapt. Kirk, Live Long and Prosper, btw, do you read Star Trek Books, are they worth much? I have read a few, I am reading Twilight Zone comics (by Dynamite), currently, they are ok.

Yes, I am with TZ DZ, love to hear how this ends.

Zone Thanks in advanced.

PtE is #1Image