Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comics & Graphic Novels
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:34 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
I know I already started a book thread, but I think comics and graphic novels deserves a seperate one of it's own. Anybody read or used to read them? I used to read alot of the typical DC and Marvel super hero comics, but now I read more graphic novels, I love the works of Alan Moore such as Watchmen, V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentleman, and also Frank Miller's Sin City series, The Dark Knight Returns, and Batman Year One.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:44 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

I love comics but will admit they are beginning to bore me. The works you reference are the exceptional breed that keep me reading. I'm always hopeful someone else will get it right.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:19 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
the pictures really help me with the big words :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:25 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
I love comics. My favorite hero is The Shadow.
I am more into Marvel, like The Punisher, Marvel Knights,
Defenders,etc...I like how Peter David handled the Hulk.

I like the Watchmen, I read some of them when they
first came out, good reads.

I think comics are a fine institution in the right hands.

More Later

Mr. Rorschach, you are so Money.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:42 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Mr.Z wrote:
I love comics. My favorite hero is The Shadow.
I am more into Marvel, like The Punisher, Marvel Knights,
Defenders,etc...I like how Peter David handled the Hulk.

I like the Watchmen, I read some of them when they
first came out, good reads.

I think comics are a fine institution in the right hands.

More Later

Mr. Rorschach, you are so Money.

Thanks Mr.Z, do you like the movie version of The Shadow with Alec Baldwin by the way? I love it, I think its very underrated.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:01 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Ron Burgundy wrote:
I love comics but will admit they are beginning to bore me. The works you reference are the exceptional breed that keep me reading. I'm always hopeful someone else will get it right.

Yes Ron I think you've got a point, less good quality comics are being produced these days, the art work is more realistic and refined but the stories are mainly uninspired, and now you it's rare you can pick up a comic book with a self contained story, they have less pages, more expensive and you need to collect a dozen others or wait till it comes out in graphic novel format.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:11 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Thanks Mr.Z, do you like the movie version of The Shadow with Alec Baldwin by the way? I love it, I think its very underrated.[/quote]

Thanks Mr. R back for responding so swiftly.

I liked the movie, yet due to my appreciation of the comic book, I feel
the director of the movie utilized the Shadow's clouding of minds too much,
the comic is more visual in use of the shadow's image. His image is a large part of his appeal, imho.
I did like John Lone( Shiwan Khan) as the foil to Alec Baldwin, fine performances.
The other characters are more interesting in the books, or even in the radio serial
versus the movie, imho.

In summation, yes an underrated movie; that being said, it had a few
minor matters that needed to be changed, imho.
BTW, I hear a new Shadow movie is on the horizon, YES.

Other comic movies I liked:
Blade
The Crow
The Punisher ( the newer one)
Spawn ( I am probably in the minority here)
The Hulk ( they should have showed the Hulk much earlier in the movie)
The Superman movies

MrZ

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:42 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Yes I've heard about the new Shadow movie Mr.Z, I think it's supposed to be Sam Raimi thats directing, because he wanted make a Shadow movie a long time ago but they wouldn't let him, so he made his own character Dark Man. Hopefully it'll be good, but I can't imagine the score for the new film being as good as Jerry Goldsmith's in the Baldwin film which I think is excellent.

I like all the films you've mentioned except for Hulk, which was too unfaithful to the comic for my liking, but the new film looks promising and as for The Superman films, I'm a big fan of them I love the first 4 and the Donner Cut, but really disliked Returns.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:38 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

i just finished reading "INFINTIE CRISIS" from 2 years ago as i am WAY behind.
i got to say that that 7 issue series was the best thing i have read since 1985's CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS.
i personally loved the old DC Universe of multiple earths. the CRISIS killed that and cause many changes with the new one single earth. this new series brougt DC back to tons of new earths.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:25 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Mainly a Marvel Collector most of my life. I didn't get into the DC worlds very much until Miller's Dark Knight Graphic Novels and the 12 issues of Watchmen. I do still have the 1st 4 years of all the Dark Horse titles - including the infamous Boris the Bear series. I had to give up collecting when the kids started draining my finances in the 90's. Only thing I kept a subscription to was Ghost Rider, New Mutants, and X-Men. Even then, by '96 I stopped collecting them too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:26 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

I was mostly a Marvelite when I was younger. In my late twenties or early thirties I slipped over to DC, mainly because of Batman.

New Shadow movie sounds great! I enjoy the Baldwin film quite a bit though-yes definitely an underrated bit of cinema.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:57 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Used to be huge into them, but now have grown a bit tired of them. Civil War was probably the last great series in a while. Walking Dead is a great series that is sadly beginning to wind down and become boring.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:14 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

The best Graphic Novel ever, a pretty cool character standing there in the middle too 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:16 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Well I wonder why you said that............... HAHAHA

:dance: :clap:

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:36 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Search me? :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:51 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Rorschach wrote:

The best Graphic Novel ever, a pretty cool character standing there in the middle too 8)

Whose that supposed to be anyway? The Invisible Man?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:58 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Mr.Z wrote:
Thanks Mr.Z, do you like the movie version of The Shadow with Alec Baldwin by the way? I love it, I think its very underrated.

Thanks Mr. R back for responding so swiftly.

I liked the movie, yet due to my appreciation of the comic book, I feel
the director of the movie utilized the Shadow's clouding of minds too much,
the comic is more visual in use of the shadow's image. His image is a large part of his appeal, imho.
I did like John Lone( Shiwan Khan) as the foil to Alec Baldwin, fine performances.
The other characters are more interesting in the books, or even in the radio serial
versus the movie, imho.

In summation, yes an underrated movie; that being said, it had a few
minor matters that needed to be changed, imho.
BTW, I hear a new Shadow movie is on the horizon, YES.

Other comic movies I liked:
Blade
The Crow
The Punisher ( the newer one)
Spawn ( I am probably in the minority here)
The Hulk ( they should have showed the Hulk much earlier in the movie)
The Superman movies

MrZ[/quote]

I couldn't get into the 2004 Punisher movie. The Dolph Lundgren one I actually liked because they showed him taking out more bad guys and then had the cool rescues of the kids in the second half of the movie, capped off by the final showdowns with the mafia and yakuza bosses. I heard there's a special edition with some extra footage released in 2006, of the later one, so I might watch that one and give the movie another try. I just didn't like Thomas Jane in the title role, they need more of an action guy or someone more rugged for that character. Well, I heard there's a new Punisher movie coming out in 2008, so maybe the third time will be the charm. The Blade movies I thought were awesome, especially the last one, Crow was pretty cool, haven't seen the sequels or the TV series yet though. Spawn was alright, but I preferred the Todd McFarlane animated series on HBO, which I think is on DVD now. The X-Men movies I thought were pretty cool too, although they didn't get in depth enough with some of the heroes, so hopefully they'll do at least a few more of those. I wanted to see Gambit and Psylocke. Spiderman movies I like a lot too, Sam Raimi kicks major ass, although I still need to see the rest of the 3rd movie, I hear Toby Maguire had a very goth/emo look for the black Spiderman character.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:01 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Sin City RULES!!!

When I collected them for a few years, I was mostly into:

G.I. Joe (A Real American Hero, way cooler and more hardcore than the cartoons)
The Punisher
Amazing Spiderman
X-Men
The Incredible Hulk (especially when they merged the original green hulk with the gray hulk and David Banner)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:29 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

No it's Rorschach, he's named after the ink blot test of the same name because his mask looks similar, he's like the Watchmen equivalent of Marv in Sin City. Currently the film of Watchmen is being made with Jackie Earle Haley playing Rorschach, I think it's going to come out early next year, then the character should become really popular :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:13 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Rorschach wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

No it's Rorschach, he's named after the ink blot test of the same name because his mask looks similar, he's like the Watchmen equivalent of Marv in Sin City. Currently the film of Watchmen is being made with Jackie Earle Haley playing Rorschach, I think it's going to come out early next year, then the character should become really popular :)

Cool. Haven't seen Jackie Earle Haley in anything in a long time. Kelly Leak himself is playing the role huh? So Watchmen's like one of those famous teams, like X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Pantheon, Justice League, like that? And what kind of powers do they have?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:42 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Cool. Haven't seen Jackie Earle Haley in anything in a long time. Kelly Leak himself is playing the role huh? So Watchmen's like one of those famous teams, like X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Pantheon, Justice League, like that? And what kind of powers do they have?

I saw Haley's oscar nominated performance in Little Children made in 2006, he was very good in that, I think he will do the character justice in this new film.

Actually Watchmen is nothing like X-men, Avengers etc, even though the name and the picture I've posted gives that impression, they're not in a super hero team and they have no powers except for the blue one, Dr Manhattan who has the powers of a veritable god, the rest of them are vigilantes. The name 'Watchmen' refers to a latin phrase from the Roman poet Juvenal "Who watches the watchmen?" which applies to all people with the role of guardians in the comic, be it vigilante heroes, policeman or whatever. It takes place in an alternate reality 1985, where America won Vietnam, and Nixon is still president, there used to be lots of superheroes in this world, but now they've been outlawed. The murder of an ex super hero however leads Rorschach (the only one who refused to retire and ignored the law) investigating, and it's not long before all the other ex heroes get involved. I've give a rough brief description of Watchmen's plot there but suffice it to say it's widely regarded as the most influential graphic novel ever written and to date, it remains the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award, and is also the only one to appear on Time Magazine's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:20 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Rorschach wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Anthony wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

I saw Haley's oscar nominated performance in Little Children made in 2006, he was very good in that, I think he will do the character justice in this new film.

Actually Watchmen is nothing like X-men, Avengers etc, even though the name and the picture I've posted gives that impression, they're not in a super hero team and they have no powers except for the blue one, Dr Manhattan who has the powers of a veritable god, the rest of them are vigilantes. The name 'Watchmen' refers to a latin phrase from the Roman poet Juvenal "Who watches the watchmen?" which applies to all people with the role of guardians in the comic, be it vigilante heroes, policeman or whatever. It takes place in an alternate reality 1985, where America won Vietnam, and Nixon is still president, there used to be lots of superheroes in this world, but now they've been outlawed. The murder of an ex super hero however leads Rorschach (the only one who refused to retire and ignored the law) investigating, and it's not long before all the other ex heroes get involved. I've give a rough brief description of Watchmen's plot there but suffice it to say it's widely regarded as the most influential graphic novel ever written and to date, it remains the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award, and is also the only one to appear on Time Magazine's 2005 list of the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present.

You said it better than I could Rorschach! Hats off to you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:22 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Ron Burgundy wrote:
You said it better than I could Rorschach! Hats off to you.

Thanks Ron :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:46 am 

I think one of the last comics I remember reading fairly frequently was "G.I. Combat".

Does anyone else remember that one?
I think that was in the early 1980s.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:04 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I couldn't get into the 2004 Punisher movie. The Dolph Lundgren one I actually liked because they showed him taking out more bad guys and then had the cool rescues of the kids in the second half of the movie, capped off by the final showdowns with the mafia and yakuza bosses. I heard there's a special edition with some extra footage released in 2006, of the later one, so I might watch that one and give the movie another try. I just didn't like Thomas Jane in the title role, they need more of an action guy or someone more rugged for that character. Well, I heard there's a new Punisher movie coming out in 2008, so maybe the third time will be the charm. The Blade movies I thought were awesome, especially the last one, Crow was pretty cool, haven't seen the sequels or the TV series yet though. Spawn was alright, but I preferred the Todd McFarlane animated series on HBO, which I think is on DVD now. The X-Men movies I thought were pretty cool too, although they didn't get in depth enough with some of the heroes, so hopefully they'll do at least a few more of those. I wanted to see Gambit and Psylocke. Spiderman movies I like a lot too, Sam Raimi kicks major ass, although I still need to see the rest of the 3rd movie, I hear Toby Maguire had a very goth/emo look for the black Spiderman character.[/quote]

Sir Anthony,

I like Lundgren better than Jane for the role of the Punisher, I just never saw the first film, sadly. I am a fan of Lundgren from way back.

The Jane Punisher movie was not great, yet some of the nuances, like the underworld were cool. Hopefully, they make the next movie closer to the comic, yet make 3 versions: an NC 17 ( for the hardcore fans ) , an R ( for the mainstream adult populous), and a PG rating for the marvelite kiddies.
ONE CAN DREAM, :clap:

You have great taste in movies, I love the blade movies, the first Crow movie was good, I liked the comics.
Sorry to say, I personally do not like the red and blue tights Spiderman wears ( either in the comic
nor in the movie), so ugly, and impractical, imho. I only watched a part of the first movie, its ok, not all that for me.
The black suit looks cool in the ads, they should have stuck with it. I also have not watched the 3rd installment, I will wait for it to air on tv.

Anyone for a Deadpool movie starring Bruce Campbell? ( I wish they would do this).

About the HULK movie, it was one of my least favorite comic book adapted movies, yet I am a fan of the Hulk, so I
hold some affinity for Hulk related stuff. The movie took way too long to showcase the Hulk, and they changed his origin abit, yet the actors were fine, and the plot was ok too.
Hopefully they make Hulk gray and smart in the next flick. Which I almost certain that he is going to green, alas...

Comic Peace

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:16 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

Submitted for your approval..............

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:44 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Beware The Creeper wrote:

I have seen these in some comic shops, never read them, I probably should :D. I use to see them next to
Crazy magazine ( now there was a good satire periodical, from Marvel).

Did you ever read the Twilight Zone comic? I read the Now! comics version, not bad.

MrZ

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:01 am 
Rorschach wrote:
I know I already started a book thread, but I think comics and graphic novels deserves a seperate one of it's own. Anybody read or used to read them? I used to read alot of the typical DC and Marvel super hero comics, but now I read more graphic novels, I love the works of Alan Moore such as Watchmen, V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentleman, and also Frank Miller's Sin City series, The Dark Knight Returns, and Batman Year One.

I read and collected comic-books for many years . . . then moved on to collecting the original artwork - where I specialise in cover illustrations, for example:

or . . .

and how about . . .

In fact, why not click onto the link below - and see a whole bunch of classic comic-book original artworks:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:04 am 

Wouldn't you prefer:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:00 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

not a fan of steve ditko..but i prefer his character, Rac Shade, the Changing Man.
didn't like the artwork, but i liked the concept of the suit he wore. Shade wore a suit that work on other's emotions and manipulated their perceptions into reality....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:12 am 
bobbyryates wrote:
not a fan of steve ditko..but i prefer his character, Rac Shade, the Changing Man.
didn't like the artwork, but i liked the concept of the suit he wore. Shade wore a suit that work on other's emotions and manipulated their perceptions into reality....

Ditko is my all-time-favourite superhero artist. He co-created SPIDER-MAN with Stan Lee, yet shuns publicity and refuses to allow interviews.

Interestingly decent action-orientated pages of his original SPIDER-MAN artwork are now selling at $30,000-plus per single page.

I own two of his cover originals from 1966. For example:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:32 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

yeah, ii know that Ditko is a legend for his comic work and the co-creation of spider-man..but i guess it's just a preference thing. my favourite artists list include (not in no specific order):

john byrne (i prefer his writing to go with his art. but as for inkers, i prefer byrne to do his own or terry austin with him)
george perez
mike grell (even though so much looks alike, i love his style)
walter simonson
paul michael smith
jim lee
don newton (his BATMAN was incredible. his death took a great talent away too soon..).
phil jiminez (the perez influence is very prevelant)
dick dillon/frank mclaughlin (wasn''t they the team for JLA back then?)
keith giffen/larry malstedt (?spelling) (their work on LSH was incredible)
jim aparo/dick giordano (another great team)

if ya wanna look at the '60's, i'll go with:
nick cardy
neal adams

as you can see, i grew up in the 70's and 80's. by then, the styles changed out of the '60's for the most part.
there are others i really like, but these quickly come to mind...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:10 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Mr Trent wrote:
I own one two of his cover originals from 1966. For example:

That's pretty cool Mr Trent 8) I bet they're your most treasured collectors items 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:55 pm 

bobbyryates wrote:
yeah, ii know that Ditko is a legend for his comic work and the co-creation of spider-man..but i guess it's just a preference thing. my favourite artists list include (not in no specific order):

john byrne (i prefer his writing to go with his art. but as for inkers, i prefer byrne to do his own or terry austin with him)
george perez
walter simonson
paul michael smith
jim lee
don newton (his BATMAN was incredible. his death took a great talent away too soon..).

nick cardy
neal adams

as you can see, i grew up in the 70's and 80's. by then, the styles changed out of the '60's for the most part.

Some notable people not mentioned:

Jack Kirby, John Buscema, Gill Cane, Frank Frazetta, Art Adams, Todd Mc Farland, Bill Sienkiewicz ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:05 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

like i said, the names i mentioned came quickly to mind.

john buscema-real big name leend. loved is spider-man days best. Conan was good, too.
art adams-another great talent but just never had the ability to be regular anywhere.
mcfarland-more famous for creating SPAWN as opposed to his artwork in my opinion. i never seen much of his work as i got no titles he was on at the time he was on them...
bill sienkiewicz-i used to love his work. then he got on the New Mutants. he changed his style and i quit getting that title because of it. it sucked so bad. wanna see some of his great work, check out the old Moon Knight run he did.
frazetta-HEAVY METAL, right? never saw much of him outside of posters. but he was great.

jack kirby-i met him a few years before he died. he created a ton of the Marvel Universe and a lot of DC as well. but i never cared much for his artwork. same old thing everywhere to me.
Gil Kane-i met him too. he was a great man to talk to. i loved his spider-man days, but his Sword of the Atom mini series is my personal favourite. i think he did the green goblin better than anyone, though.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:27 pm 

Mc Farland's Spidey issues were great. He went away from the Romita uniformity look and had that Ditko Handmade Uniform look. The webs were far more spindly than streamline. Spidey was a tag more oblong than normal too.

Sienkiewicz's Moon Knight was great. A lot of his solo graphic work kicked ass. His New Mutant Stuff was 80's expresso bar bizzare - totally f@%ked up shite there. If it wasn't for Claremont's stories ...

Frazetta's Little Annie Fannie in Playboy and His EC works are collector worthy material. He also did some MAD work as well.

Art Adams does - well, art. Long Shot was amazing. Couldn't commit to a regular series but a six issue mini he is hard to beat.

Byrne - damn, what can't he draw. I loved his stuff. Even his superman was a refreshing change in story outline and art.

Other note-worthy members:

Bernie Wrightson, Barry Windsor - Smith, Ernie Chan.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:29 pm 
bobbyryates wrote:

george perez
walter simonson
paul michael smith
jim lee

nick cardy
neal adams

By the 1970s, my interests in (American) comic-books was on the wane - as when people like Ditko and Kirby left Marvel, the magic went out of their (Marvel's) titles.

Neal Adams had emerged during the 1960s and went on to energize those titles he worked on.

I have one Neal Adams cover original (used to own two, but sold a SUPERMAN cover years ago):

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:33 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:

Some notable people not mentioned:

Jack Kirby, John Buscema, Gill Cane, Frank Frazetta, Art Adams, Todd Mc Farland, Bill Sienkiewicz ;)

Frazetta . . .

This amusing illustration was created for the pressbook used to promote the film THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S (United Artists, 1968), directed by William Friedkin. The image depicts Bert Lahr (best known as the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz) as Professor Spats. Signed with a trademark "F" in the upper right corner (as well as a full signature on the reverse), this piece measures 10" x 13.5" overall, with a general image area of 7" x 11.25".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:46 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:
Frazetta's Little Annie Fannie in Playboy and His EC works are collector worthy material. He also did some MAD work as well.

Frazetta assisted in LITTLE ANNIE FANNIE, from time to time, but wasn't the main artist.

He'd also ghosted Al Capp on LI'L ABNER

Apart from one solo story ("Squeeze Play") and one cover (WEIRD SCIENCE-FANTASY # 29), Frazetta's EC work was mostly helping out on Al Williamson's stories (Williamson like to have his friends assisting).

Here's af Frazetta's 1952 daily I own from the short-run strip, JOHNNY COMET:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:49 pm 
Rorschach wrote:
Mr Trent wrote:
I own two of his cover originals from 1966. For example:

That's pretty cool Mr Trent 8) I bet they're your most treasured collectors items 8)

The CAPTAIN ATOM cover is certainly one of my crown jewels. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:35 pm 

Mr. Trent do ya mean this?!?!?

Image :lol:

Please dont confuse me with...............

Image :wtf:

And I'm NOT trying to get in touch with my feminine side. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:18 am 
Mr. Trent do ya mean this?!?!?

Image :lol:

Yeah! :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:19 am 
Please dont confuse me with...............

Image :wtf:

And I'm NOT trying to get in touch with my feminine side. :?

:yack:

No . . .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:29 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Sin City rules. My favorite movie too. Other comics I like:

G.I. Joe (way better and darker than the cartoon)
The Punisher
American Splendor

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:07 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Anthony wrote:

The Punisher
American Splendor

Sir Anthony, great choices, Sin City is a great movie.

MrZ

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:15 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Mr.Z wrote:
Anthony wrote:

The Punisher
American Splendor

Sir Anthony, great choices, Sin City is a great movie.

MrZ

I'm in complete agreement with both of you :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:16 am 

Loved this comic as a kid..................... :)

Image :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:15 pm 
Loved this comic as a kid..................... :)

Me too.

I have an original LOST IN SPACE cover painting (for # 27) by George Wilson:

Along with an original Dan Spiegle drawing:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:08 am 

AWESOME............................. :)

loved this one as a kid also. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:37 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I just finished "Watchmen". Reading a graphic novel was different but I really enjoyed it. The story was complex and I actually had to reread some of the chapters, especially the ones that had the "Black Freighter" story going on in parallel.

The characters were not your typical indestructible superheroes. In fact, in my opinion only Dr. Manhattan was a superhero. Nite Owl was close as he was loaded with a Batman assortment of gadgets. And Rorschach was one character that surprised me. He was tough and uncompromising but hardly indestructible; more like a pit bull than anything else.

While the story neared it climax, I was pleasantly reminded of my favorite Outer Limits episode "The Architects of Fear". As the story finished up I thought that Alan Moore must surely have lifted the key element of the story from TOL. Then in the final chapter, I noticed a reference to the TOL episode in a couple of final panels of "Watchmen". This pretty much cemented the book's excellent status with me. If the soon to be released movie does not work this element (the "squid"?) into its story, I will be very disappointed.

And the ending was a very gratifying, very cool finish which leaves you asking what will become of the world next.