Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:54 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
A sign of the times..? Art reflects life..? America on the decline... yada-yada.
This almost belongs on the Politics thread; but, it's another chapter in Superman's long history...

http://scoop.today.com/_news/2011/04/28 ... ?GT1=43001

Superman renounces U.S. citizenship

Time to tweak that catchphrase "truth, justice and the American way"? Superman is renouncing his U.S. citizenship in DC's new "Action Comics #900."

According to Newsarama.com, in the story, Superman is scolded by a member of the president's security staff for appearing at a protest in Iran, with the notion that Superman's actions reflect the positions of U.S. government as a whole.

"I'm tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy," Superman says in a panel featured on comicsalliance.com.

The move was sparking differing reactions.

"Besides being riddled with a blatant lack of patriotism, and respect for our country, Superman's current creators are belittling the United States as a whole. By denouncing his citizenship, Superman becomes an eerie metaphor for the current economic and power status the country holds worldwide," Hollywood publicist and GOP activist Angie Meyer told FOX411's Pop Tarts column.

And from Wired blogger Scott Thill: "Superman has always been bigger than the United States. In an age rife with immigration paranoia, it’s refreshing to see an alien refugee tell the United States that it’s as important to him as any other country on Earth -- which, in turn, is as important to Superman as any other planet in the multiverse."

So, Superman was born on another planet. Maybe it makes sense for him to embrace a more global identity. What do you think?

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:14 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Great post.

I wish we could all unite, and stop fighting ( sure it sounds like 1st grade: puppy dogs and rainbow, I get it ...LOL).

Sadly, the world likes to resist unity and globalism due to:

1. Racism/Bigotry/ Paranoia/ Phobia
2. Religion/ Religious hate
3. Government styles/ Economic Policies
4. Competition
5. and a Multitude of reasons, too numerous to count

I hope Superman stays an American, yet a citizen of Earth ( and/or Krypton): Thus a Earth-izen?

Let us pray for Peace on Earth, Earth-izens.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:03 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

1st off - Is Superman a US Citizen? Is Clark Kent? Sure - he was raised here but did his parents actually adopt Clark? Are there any records of his birth or adoption? Is he just another assumed citizen because he's been here so long? Did DC ever produce an issue of Superman becoming a Citizen? If the answers are no - what a stupid politically motivated idea to do to any comic book hero. I can only assume sales are slipping in the Superman DC Universe.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:30 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

DrMoreau wrote:
1st off - Is Superman a US Citizen? Is Clark Kent? Sure - he was raised here but did his parents actually adopt Clark? Are there any records of his birth or adoption? Is he just another assumed citizen because he's been here so long? Did DC ever produce an issue of Superman becoming a Citizen? If the answers are no - what a stupid politically motivated idea to do to any comic book hero. I can only assume sales are slipping in the Superman DC Universe.

I can't argue with any of that.
The general thinking on this comic book lore is that Superman was raised in secret (his powers were hidden) so that makes him an illegal alien, but then again, I think the Kents did push through a legal adoption somehow, but it was the adoption of a normal Earthling boy, not an alien from another planet, so I guess they were illegal about it all - it gets tricky.

I also recall reading somewhere many years ago that Superman was granted special citizenship by the USA - one can probably find out about this in books or on the internet. I think I read it in some 2-page write-up in one of the old comic books, way back in the seventies. This was a logical step for the U.S. since Superman was the greatest hero, and so forth - was it legal? I guess it was a special Presidential Executive Action or something.

Still, this latest thing - Action Comics #900 - comes across as this cynical gimmick to me. It's another version of the TV 'jumping the shark' in comic book form. It also seems like another way to deride America or 'equalize' America - that it's just another nation among nations, no better, and a lecture to us all about interference. The method is sort of 'in your face' which I don't really like. And, Superman comes across as kind of petty to me, even though I haven't read the story in question, just the news on it. I would think he'd be above that kind of crap. I guess.. he doesn't like America anymore... :cry:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:49 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
The media, comics included, have been in the tank for Barack Hussein Obama and his Marxist Liberal mind set. This is just a way for them to participate in the on going Global movement and pushing the Anti American Agenda of Barack Hussein and the Democrat Party. It' s just that simple. What other reason is there? It's more stupidity heaped on stupidity. Can't wait until 2012!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:58 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Captain America was killed off....Superman turns muslim.....The Punisher was black for awhile....Spiderman saved Barack Obama....

hmm.....now I know why comic books suck now.

How about Green Lantern turns amish, The X-men wind up become full fledge skinhead nazis....and perhaps Iron man decides to become a transgender woman?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:38 am 

"If it wasn't for people like me ... American loathing, country hating, self righteous liberals wouldn't have their rights or this country to bitch about."

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:56 pm 

My Mood: Neutral
Something Barack Hussein Obama will NEVER understand!

Link

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:24 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Mean
Slightly off topic, but I read a book a few years back called It's Superman by Tom DeHaven (a professor at VCU, his classes were always very interesting). It basically a retelling of Superman's orgin story and youth up to him becoming Superman. Its set in depression era America, the era he would have grown up in if he actually showed up at the time he first appeared in Action comics. Its a great book and a good read. Check it out if you get the chance.