Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:07 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
John Landis's "Monsters In the Movies" is a big new coffee table book that is loaded with great pictures and poster art. Now it's not much of a read, but I don't think that's the point. I think many of you here would love this book. Here's a review I found:

Link

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:18 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
That book looks epic. Thanks for the find Whit. Did you purchase this or did you have a chance to go through it all?
This looks like a wonderful companion book to the massive amount of horror movies I own. John Landis knows his stuff so Im sure only someone with his movie knowledge would be able to make a book that size. It looks like it has everything. I saw some stuff I didnt expect in there, like The Strangers. I love that film

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:32 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

StillValleyBard wrote:
That book looks epic. Thanks for the find Whit. Did you purchase this or did you have a chance to go through it all?
This looks like a wonderful companion book to the massive amount of horror movies I own. John Landis knows his stuff so Im sure only someone with his movie knowledge would be able to make a book that size. It looks like it has everything. I saw some stuff I didnt expect in there, like The Strangers. I love that film

Yes, I bought it. It's a beautiful book. I wish there was a little more substance to it, it doesn't go through anything in any real depth. But there are a lot of great pictures and interesting captions and a few good interviews.

I have gone through some of it. It is organized by type of monster, so I have spent more time with aliens and giant creatures than I have with zombies or something else I haven't much interest in. The way it's organized doesn't lend itself as a "read it from front-to-back" book. Its a skip around book.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Gotta Love Coffee Table Books on Sci-Fi and Horror Creatures.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:23 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
whitsbrain wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:

Yes, I bought it. It's a beautiful book. I wish there was a little more substance to it, it doesn't go through anything in any real depth. But there are a lot of great pictures and interesting captions and a few good interviews.

I have gone through some of it. It is organized by type of monster, so I have spent more time with aliens and giant creatures than I have with zombies or something else I haven't much interest in. The way it's organized doesn't lend itself as a "read it from front-to-back" book. Its a skip around book.

I bought this book a couple of months ago, totally agree with your assessment Whit, but I don't mind it not having much substance, as I already have a couple of more scholarly books about Horror films in general, I do like Landis's casual and amusing comments, such as describing a typically bad film as "crap" lol.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:08 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'm glad my recommendation helped you out, Rorschach! I still love flipping through this book some three years later.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:02 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
whitsbrain wrote:
I'm glad my recommendation helped you out, Rorschach! I still love flipping through this book some three years later.

Yes, as you said originally, it really is a beautiful book, I love his interviews with the likes of Christopher lee and a few great monster movie makers too :)