Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:40 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I picked up the first two issues of the new Twilight Zone comics series from Dynamite Comics. The first 3 issues include an all new story by J. Michael Straczynski. I love the artwork, too.

Should be fun for fans of comics and TZ.

Here's the link: http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513021267200111

And here's the great cover of the first issue:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:47 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
That looks pretty sweet. Let us know how good the stories are.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:28 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
I hated (for the most part) what he did when controlling the remakes of the Twilight Zone on television. Bland, safe, insipid, watered down, none of his teleplays or the ones under his control (except Ellison's and a tiny handful of others) even deserved to be broadcast, let alone have a "Twilight Zone" banner hanging over them. No wonder anthology dramatic television, which seems a bit hit on this board, what with TZ, OL, Hitchcock and even the almost never syndicated ancient Thriller getting big billing, is now a dead televised format.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:02 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

JonnyDuffy wrote:
I hated (for the most part) what he did when controlling the remakes of the Twilight Zone on television. Bland, safe, insipid, watered down, none of his teleplays or the ones under his control (except Ellison's and a tiny handful of others) even deserved to be broadcast, let alone have a "Twilight Zone" banner hanging over them.

I didn't much care for the majority of it either.
I thought "The Curious Case of Edgar Witherspoon" had potential, but Harry Morgan just seemed to make it comedic to a point where it detracted from the episode.
"Dream Me A Life" was another, but I vaguely remember some of the dream sequences not going over to well. Its been ages since I saw it.

There are a few spots on this board, where I explain a bit about a couple of reasons why I don't particularly care for Ellison..... but thats more of the way I have seen and heard him act towards fans , the public and autograph seekers in general.
Aside from how I view him as a person , I respect his body of work quite a bit though. (what little I know of it)
He had his awful misses too though, in this newer TZ installment as well.
I thought "Crazy As a Soup Sandwich" was just bad (again, ages since I saw it), and I thought "One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty" was ok, but a little flat.
On the other hand, I thought "Paladin of the Lost Hour" was absolutely top notch, and could stand up to many of the best from not just the new TZ, but the classic series as well.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:45 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Lazy, I will let you know what I think of the comic series. I have read the first issue and it isn't anything jaw-dropping but I like the artwork and its got a good cliff hanger to lead into issue #2...which I just received and haven't read yet.

JonnyDuffy, this board came into being based largely out of love for the old TZ, Outer Limits and other anthology formatted shows of the '60s. It has branched out into other areas but its foundation remains. I think the curiosity with the anthology format is not unlike others' obsession with B-movies, Star Trek or Star Wars. There is much to appreciate and scoff at with the format, but the fondness for it remains. At times, the anthology is the entertainment equivalent of a train wreck. Not that anyone likes train wrecks, but we gawk at them anyway (a better analogy escapes me at the moment, but I hope you get my drift).

I am not a writer and it's a lunch pail affair when I stretch out to trumpet my opinion on anything that someone else has created. I am always wrestling with being critical of other's work and believe that I often see the content being presented only at face value, not penetrating the social commentary or the hidden meaning within. And what gives me the right to knock someone's art when I could never do the same?

Now, on the subject of J. Michael Straczynski, I am lukewarm on what he has created for the Twilight Zone. Season 3 of the '80s version is predominantly his and there are only a few of his efforts that I care for. But I do appreciate his soldiering on with the "brand", whether it's to line his wallet or not. At least it's something and maybe we are presented with the occasional diamond-in-the-rough.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:39 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Just for the record, I love televised anthology programs when done well. That the format is dead today is, I think, due to bad anthologies in the 1970s--1990s.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So I have the first three issues and have read through them all.

I like the artwork and the story. But, like everything else these days, I didn't get an ending. When finishing up the third and final issue, I got a "To Be Continued..."!!!!!!

Can anyone finish anything!?!? They probably don't even have an ending. They'll write it if they sell enough of the first three. Well, they won't get anymore money from me.

Short stories and anthologies like the Twilight Zone aren't supposed to span 12 frickin' Issues!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:06 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Looked back at the website and it seems that issue #4 is out with #5 coming out in May. So it's an arc comic series?

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:50 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Looked back at the website and it seems that issue #4 is out with #5 coming out in May. So it's an arc comic series?

You're getting me going.... :x

The Twilight Zone is NOT about long story arcs. It's f**king short stories!!

Unless I have an unprecedented change of heart, I won't be buying it (I still like the artwork, though).

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:26 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic

This is the latest Dynamite Twilight Zone comic book.

( How many TZ references can you find on this fine cover?)

The story is called Shadow and Substance. this is part 1.

I think this issue is more towards what Zone fans will appreciate, then the previous TZ incarnation done by Dynamite Comics ( see above). I enjoyed this issue, it has some minor things that could be improved on, but overall the writing was good, and I loved the art.

---- SPOILERS ahead----

This story seems to be an homage ( or some may say rip-off) to Walking Distance and possibly ASAW. Its about a man named William Gaunt ( Gart Williams anyone) , a writer, who flies in to his old hometown to sit for a book-signing. He stops by a rent a car place where he is given the keys to what appears to be an old blue Ford Mustang from the late 60s, so he can enter town. As he drives, we see that his cell phone still works (albeit bad connection). He then sees himself as a young lad with hippy hair. He meets his boy self, and watches his younger self having to deal with his drunkard mother once again. He tries to talk to the boy again later on, yet his mother tries to put an end to this meeting. Later, he remembers what happens 'tomorrow', and wants to stop it. End of part 1.

What I liked about this so far is the opening narrations was in the vein of Rod Serling, I wish they could have put Mr. Serling image in the book though. I am a fan of Walking Distance, so a homage is appreciated. The writing is fine, but I wish this writer would have listened to Serling's Lecture on WD ( found on the Definitive DVD set), where Mr. Serling says Martin Sloan is rambling, and the town folk are just enabling this mans delusions, same goes for William Gaunt here. That being said, it still has some nice dialogue and a fine story.
I do like that this is an introspective story, also I like that it is a darker story than WD, that deals with a drunken mother , bullying and a dark secret.

From the look of the time period I'd say its the late 60s. Mr. Gaunt is donning a pretty recent hair cut, and modern clothes ( black leather jacket and black shirt, grey tan pants), no one in the story commented on his appearance, I wonder what the people of the 60s would say about his cell phone, this has not been addressed yet. Maybe from how he is dressed, they might say greaser, but not one word from his oldtown citizens about his clothes or hair.
Further, how did he come to this time period, how did he time travel, was it his wrist watch? Is this a dream? Hope we find out.

----- End of Spoilers------------

I feel these issues are minor, its a pretty good story, feels Zonish, Ill reserve complete judgement until issue 2 comes out, but I like it so far,more later.

Z

PtE is #1Image