Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:01 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Patrick McGoohan, an Emmy Award-winning actor who starred as a British spy in the 1960s TV series "Secret Agent" and "The Prisoner" and was known for playing various villainous roles in films and on television, has died. He was 80.

McGoohan died peacefully Tuesday in St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica after a short illness, said Cleve Landsberg, McGoohan's son-in-law. The family did not provide further details.

It was the height of James Bond mania in 1965 when McGoohan showed up on American TV screens in "Secret Agent," a British-produced series in which he played John Drake, a special security agent working as a spy for the British government.

The hour-long series, which ran on CBS until 1966, was an expanded version of “Danger Man,” a short-lived, half-hour series on CBS in 1961 in which McGoohan played the same character.

But it was McGoohan's next British-produced series, “The Prisoner,” on CBS in 1968 and 1969, that became a cult classic.

Once described in The Times as an "espionage tale as crafted by Kafka," "The Prisoner" starred McGoohan as a British agent who, after resigning his post, is abducted and held captive by unknown powers in a mysterious village, where he known only as No. 6.

McGoohan created and executive-produced the series, which ran for only 17 episodes. He also wrote and directed several episodes.

Among the memorable villains he played on screen was England's sadistic King Edward I in Mel Gibson's 1995 film "Braveheart."

As a guest star on TV's "Columbo, McGoohan won Emmys in 1975 and 1990.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Well damn! RIP, No. 6 - Patrick McGoohan.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

This is shitty news--although his death probably means my autographed photo of him will increase in value, I'm sad to see him go. Rest in Peace, Number 6!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:26 pm 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
NYR94 wrote:
This is shitty news--although his death probably means my autographed photo of him will increase in value, I'm sad to see him go. Rest in Peace, Number 6!

NYR- Post a scan please.

I would like to see this photo you have.
McGoohan is one that I never got around to sending to, although I probably should have. :(

Although the vast majority of my collecting is over, I might dabble a bit here and there, and I always like seeing a few things that interest me also.

FWIW- Our own woodrow mulligan dealt with him years ago at an agency, and about the only word I have ever seen him use regarding Mr. McGoohan was "curmudgeon". :o

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:45 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
I heard in the DVD commentary for the first episode of the 2009 Prisoner series that they wanted to have McGoohan make a guest appearance as the old, dying man here and even had the original outfit from the first Prisoner series, but had to recast the role when they found out he was sick. He at least said he liked the new series.