Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:56 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Episode 8 - Winterland

Original Air Date: November 12, 2007
Writer: Dana Calvo
Director: Helen Shaver

Dan journeys back into the past to a "key party" where he meets a young hippie girl involved in a deadly crime.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Gotta love the late 60's/early 70's. Swinger parties and wife swapping. A nice little background story here where a daughter, Abigail, walks in on her mother during a surprise visit home from college. A story that has a predictable moral but visually and parallel wise, a nicely told rendition.

Back at the home front, things are looking bleak. Agent Garrity arrives with a search warrant to search the Vasser home for Dylan McCleen's money. This requires Dan to not only get the cash outta the house without tripping away but to disperse it in time so that this doesn't bite him in his ass. Katie is in full on board and dealing with it. Still fighting with the how's and why's, but understands. Jack is trying to correct his ratting out his brother and find some background info on Agent Garrity. And we once again get to talk with Elliott Franklin who is as ambiguous as ever with his knowledge of Dan's time travels.

All in all, the merging of both stories are nearly seamless and don't seem to be a random occurrence. Almost as if the gods of Karma are looking out for Dan. Both stories are strong and a much needed lift from last episode.

Special Note: This is a Helen Shaver episode. Fine actress from some of my favorite B films and TV Series who has segued into directing including shows such as: The New TOL, 4400, Judging Amy, Jericho.

8!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:52 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
8 from me too. I think Helen Shaver was also in a Columbo episode (Rest In Peace, Mrs. Columbo) where her character tries to bump off Columbo's wife to get back at him for putting away her husband for murder years ago, and then dying in prison. One of the better episodes of the newer ABC mystery movies, as opposed to the classic '70s NBC ones. Funny thing is, they STILL don't show Mrs. Columbo even in this episode, which I thought was kind of funny and clever :lol:

Post subject: Re: Winterland
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Another 8 from me, but a more solid one than the previous episode. And yes, the A and B stories merged seamlessly here in this theme of destiny and compatibility. First, Dan and Olivia have to Abby leave people that are not compatible, then we find out what year Livia is really from in the past and that she travels to the future, Dan to the past, they meet in the middle and help each other out and while they find out they were not destined to be together as a couple and were out of sync in that respect, that they were right for each other as fellow time travelers.

Dan is also able to make more use of the Mcleen money to help another person in the past in Abigail. Good thing he didn't burn it. Garrity also appears not what he seemed at first, as he seems very interested in trying to figure out Dan is a time traveler so that maybe he or whoever he represents can use him to help them somehow. In the earlier days of TV, a character like this probably would've been introduced in Season 2 at least but one can never tell how long a show will last, especially on a major network, these days. A solid story that deals well with the themes of fate, free will and following one's own path.

Post subject: Re: Winterland
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:56 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Anybody here catch the cameo by Jon Noble from Fringe? I thought he was great as another columnist at the paper, apparently writes some kind of column about wine.