Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Journeyman
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:35 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
I caught a few of the previews of this jewel, shortly before the season started.
I stated elsewhere that I thought it would be "mind blowingly-good" or either a "real disappointment".

Well, this one has me totally taken, and for people that like these types of "time travel" dramas, this one is top notch.
Sure there are weaker episodes, but thats the case with every show. In retrospect, there isn't an episode yet that I would say is NOT worthy of viewing multiple times, but some are definitely better than others.

I am particularly intrigued with the mysterious fellow that "knows about Tachyons" through his scientific research.. Some people may have missed it, but this mystery man even called Dan during one of his travels back in time. Even though his appearances have been brief, and "shrouded in mystery", I look for each one.
I particularly like they way they are speaking back and forth, as if "they are talking about a book on time travel".
This is hard to explain, but someone who saw it from the beginning knows what I mean.

I for one, await the show every week.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:35 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Yes, this show has become one of my "must-see" tv shows this season. I think I know what you're talking about - I believe I also recall Dan answering his phone, while back in time, and shocked it was from someone from his own time. Looking forward to the next episode!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:37 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I think I know what you're talking about - I believe I also recall Dan answering his phone, while back in time, and shocked it was from someone from his own time.

YES! Alot of people may have missed it, or even if they "caught it", it may not have had too much significance on your typical viewer.

There are some neat little tricks in this show, and some of them are hard to catch. I do like the scenes with our "Tachyon guy".

This is only show I watch on TV now, on a week to week basis.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:14 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

http://www.tvseriesfinale.com/

Quite upsetting to read this. I mean, not only an impending close to a pretty good show, but the possibility of not even airing a final episode that ties up some loose ends/answers some questions??? F*&k these network pricks! I'm sick of the constant teasing of smart or interesting shows that end up getting yanked because the "numbers aren't stellar".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:18 pm 

I started to NOT look at that link, but I just had to.

Very early this morning, like around 4 a.m., I watched last nights episode.
I noticed at the close of the episode, it said "all new Journeyman, coming in just 2 weeks". That got me to thinking there may be some problems behind the scenes, or with scheduling. (or with ratings)

So I checked your link out, and it appears there may be some ratings problems. It doesn't look too bad in my opinion, but networks have high expectations for shows like this, and sadly its not always the case.
I will say that I have heard that "Heroes" which is on beforehand, hs seriously declined this year from last year, and that may hurt it a bit as well.

They need to move this show (Journeyman) to USA or Sci-Fi, where it can be a real breadwinner for the networks, instead of NBC putting it up in primetime and expecting it to just destroy everything out there, where the competition is admittedly stronger.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:31 am 

What did you think of this weeks episode Lazy? (and any others that may have seen it)

I personally didn't think it was as strong as some of the others, but it was fair enough. I did kind of like the idea of him having to "right his wrong". I won't go into any more detail for fear of spoilers.

Man I really hope they give this show another season. :x

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:06 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Another season? I hope they at least finish the first one!

Yeah this week's episode was sort of average amongst those that have aired, but I liked the continuity with the previous week in terms of that dude who was holding the girls in that hidden room. Changing the past 2 weeks ago messed with Dan's present life in this week's episode.

"Would you like me to make you a pizza sandwich?"

Having his brother finally get on board and sort of believe him now also helps.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:11 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

UPDATE:

According to the link I've provided above, NBC has "fit in" the 12th episode (or 13 if you count the pilot). Episode 11 will air Dec. 17th at normal time, with "episode 12" airing Wednesday night, Dec. 19th at 10pm. Well I'm glad we'll get something, at least. However, a possibility of continuing the series looks bleak.

I honestly don't understand. NBC had a problem last year when it didn't score enough ratings for their caliber with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and replaced it with a moronic reality show The Real Wedding Crashers, which did worse in ratings. I mean you can't possibly think that if you let one show go because it isn't competing well with other network shows during those time slots that a replacement will be any better or score more ratings. Their logic is completely ludicrous.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:31 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

A Christmas episode this week - fits the mold to have a bit of a sentimental episode with Dan meeting up with his dad in the past. An interesting sighting - John Aniston, Victor Kiriakis of Days of our Lives (and Jennifer's dad), had a bit part. Another sighting - Joel Gretsch, Tom Baldwin of The 4400, played Dan's father.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:47 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
A Christmas episode this week - fits the mold to have a bit of a sentimental episode with Dan meeting up with his dad in the past. An interesting sighting - John Aniston, Victor Kiriakis of Days of our Lives (and Jennifer's dad), had a bit part. Another sighting - Joel Gretsch, Tom Baldwin of The 4400, played Dan's father.

Thats not the first time "Tom Baldwin" made an appearance.

I haven't watched it yet, but I will do so shortly.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:52 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

Thats not the first time "Tom Baldwin" made an appearance.

In this show?? Really??

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 pm 

Yea, I cannot remember which episode, but he went back in time and saw his dad before.
I believe he was a reporter/journalist also, and he went to the office and saw him.

It may have been one of the episodes regarding the beginning of the "hijackers stolen money", possibly the first. I am just guessing though.

Lemme check IMDB.

OK- He is not listed yet as a cast member, as they only list the people that are in 2 episodes or more, and one just aired tonight.
I assume someone will update it on IMDB soon.

I do have all the episodes on tape though, so I suppose I could wade through and find which one it was if you really want to know.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:21 pm 

OK here ya go Lazy, from Wiki.

His appearances were on..............

"The Legend of Dylan McCleen"
"Home by Another Way"

So I was right on the money, on his first appearance, as thats the first time the hijackers (Dylan McCleen) money was dealt with.

I am assuming "Home by Another Way" was tonights episode.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:56 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
OK here ya go Lazy, from Wiki.

His appearances were on..............

"The Legend of Dylan McCleen"
"Home by Another Way"

So I was right on the money, on his first appearance, as thats the first time the hijackers (Dylan McCleen) money was dealt with.

I am assuming "Home by Another Way" was tonights episode.\

TZ DZ fan

Yes, that's the name of this week's episode. Ok, wow, it must've been brief because I watched that first one, however, I could've easily been doing something and not looking directly at the tv.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:31 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I checked back at www.tvseriesfinale.com and, to my dismay, found that the show has been cancelled, as the network has let the window for renewals/full season orders pass with regards to this show. They didn't do so for the show Life, which is also struggling. Oh well...next week will air the final two episodes (Monday at its regular time and Wednesday night). Check out the website for more on this story.

RIP Journeyman :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:42 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
And this is why I rarely watch network TV - programming bastards.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:59 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Major networks seem to hate anything original these days, and lots of fans, seeing by ratings. It makes me wonder if The Twilight Zone would've even lasted more than a season today, even with Rod Serling and Buck Houghton involved.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:55 am 

Upon watching tonights episode, the fact that this jewel of a series is to be cancelled, just pisses me off to no end.

The episode that aired tonight, is in my opinion one of the best hours of TV I have seen on any network in years.
Great story, great conclusion, and a little bit of a twist enough at the end, to really make me not to want the hour to be over.

Note to Lazy- Yet another appearance by "Tachyon man" Elliot Langley! What an angle at the end huh?

Man this sucks it appears that this is slated for cancellation. Image

Our only thread of hope, is that another network (cable maybe?)may pick it up, which admittedly is very doubtful.
I thought that the ratings were fair enough that at least some interest may be there. I really doubt that it will happen though, as I am sure the budget needed for this show is huge.
How they can drop this slick show, and keep some of the other absolute bullshit going is beyond me.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:08 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Yeah! I thought of you with that ending and the interaction with Langley. I'm curious as to whether that will be one of the pieces tied up or left open at the end. Final episode tomorrow night!!

As for price, this show is produced though 20th Century Fox (more costly) I believe whereas Life is an in-house production (NBC), hence keeping that one. I'd love to see this continue elsewhere, but I was also hoping for a revival of Push, Nevada and Carnivale....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:55 am 

This has been one pitiful month for quality TV, with the cancellation of Journeyman, The 4400, and the apparent cancelling of The Dead Zone.

I guess the American public just can't take smart television.

But about Journeyman................
I really loved tonights(well the finale anyhow) episode, and it brought my "Tachyon boy" Elliot Langley back into the mix. :clap:
Easily my favorite mysterious character.

If this show doesn't get picked up somewhere else,(which it probably will NOT) it will be a shame.
But I can say this, looking back at the episode and how it ended, it wasn't bad at all.

I certainly think it was a good episode to end on.

What did you think Lazy? If you have watched it yet............

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:11 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Yeah I watched it Wednesday night - I really liked it and thought it wrapped up just fine, but it made me want more anyway. That other time traveler was a very intruiging twist and link to Dan. The one thing I'm wondering about regards Dan's conversation with Langley when Langley told him he was the only one left, and Dan said something like "there's another one"...(referring to Olivia)...and Langley didn't know what he was talking about. So what exactly does that mean?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:02 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
The one thing I'm wondering about regards Dan's conversation with Langley when Langley told him he was the only one left, and Dan said something like "there's another one"...(referring to Olivia)...and Langley didn't know what he was talking about. So what exactly does that mean?

I took it as a "dangling carrot", that would bring about more stories in the (now cancelled) next season.

Its as if Langley himself would have been a bigger part of the coming season, especially when he finds out about another traveller.
You know what I mean?

Of course, with all the "cryptic smoke and mirrors" between Dan and Langley, perhaps Langley acted as though he didn't know of any more, in an effort to protect Livia. (He certainly seems to be trying to keep things quiet in an effort to help Dan)

We may never know. Image

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:32 pm 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

I liked the earthquake one best. It's so hard to watch network tv because they cancel everything immediately.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:20 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

mr.garrity wrote:
I liked the earthquake one best. It's so hard to watch network tv because they cancel everything immediately.

Exactly, I agree. That's why original shows like this only seem to succeed on cable.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:47 pm 

Journeyman -

From Emmy Award-winning writer-producer Kevin Falls ("The West Wing") and Emmy Award-winning director-producer Alex Graves ("The West Wing"), "Journeyman" is a romantic mystery-drama about Dan Vasser (Kevin McKidd, "Rome"), a San Francisco newspaper reporter and family man who inexplicably begins to travel through time and change people's lives. Along the way, he also must deal with the difficulties and strife at work and home brought on by his sudden disappearances.

However, his freewheeling travels through the decades reunite him with his long-lost fiancée Livia (Moon Bloodgood, "Day Break") -- which complicates his present-day life with wife Katie (Gretchen Egolf, "Martial Law") and their son. Reed Diamond ("Homicide: Life on the Street") and Charles Henry Wyson ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button") also star.

Aired in late 2007. There were only 13 episodes.
Although there was an effort to save this show, ultimately there was not enough support, and no additional episodes were ordered.

Interestingly enough, no word has come up, concerning a possible DVD release, and there is hope behind the scenes that the series is being shopped around to a new network.

Season 1, Episode 1: A Love of a Lifetime Pilot / premiere.
Original Air Date: 24 September 2007

Season 1, Episode 2: Friendly Skies
Original Air Date: 1 October 2007

Season 1, Episode 3: Game Three
Original Air Date: 8 October 2007

Season 1, Episode 4: The Year of the Rabbit
Original Air Date: 15 October 2007

Season 1, Episode 5: The Legend of Dylan McCleen
Original Air Date: 22 October 2007

Season 1, Episode 6: Keepers
Original Air Date: 29 October 2007

Season 1, Episode 7: Double Down
Original Air Date: 5 November 2007

Season 1, Episode 8: Winterland
Original Air Date: 12 November 2007

Season 1, Episode 9: Emily
Original Air Date: 19 November 2007

Season 1, Episode 10: Blowback
Original Air Date: 26 November 2007

Season 1, Episode 11: Home by Another Way
Original Air Date: 10 December 2007

Season 1, Episode 12: The Hanged Man
Original Air Date: 17 December 2007

Season 1, Episode 13: Perfidia
Original Air Date: 19 December 2007

Phineas, you may want to go ahead and lock this section, I don't see the need for any new threads.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:49 am 

I seriously encourage all members here to try/ and give this series a chance.

The pilot is good, but after 2-3 episodes it gets absolutely tremendous.

I know Lazy is a big fan, but I am curious as to what Cyril, and definitely whit thinks of this.
All the episodes are here, but getting them and catching them in person is nice.

I have seen then entire series, but I am about to start from scratch, and see the whole series again.

Whit- get the pilot and a couple episodes, and let me know what you think.

BY THE WAY - DrM, you saw the pilot, and you spoke very highly of it! I really want you to see 2-3 more episodes, to get the story down, and let me know what you think.
Knowing you, I believe you may like it as well.
Its a damn shame this one died a slow/quiet death, along with some of the other,best TV in many years this season. :(

Intelligent TV was dealt a terrible blow this year.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:37 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I think I would have to do the same and re-watch each episode before commenting. I did really enjoy the show. It was something I just put on for the first couple of weeks, and then it became a must-see show.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:05 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Greetings All,

Journeyman has been moved from the Members Only section to the public boards. As always, to reply or vote one must still be a member.

Happy Posting & Have Fun,

Phineas J. Whoopee

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 pm 

Very stoked to see Anthony back on our board, and re watching "Journeyman" to boot.

I almost responded in one of your "ratings" posts, but figured I would tuck it in here instead.

It just so happens I have a tremendous amount of TV I am currently watching, but I am going to go back and check out this series again soon.
Seeing your comments has made me want to go back and run through these again, and I know most of the series I had only seen one time.
Now is as good a time as any to "travel back in time" and see Journeyman again, some 6 years later. :twisted:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

When you do, look for guest stars you might have missed the first time around, either because we didn't know them from much else or because they weren't that well known at all at the time, like Fringe's Jon Noble and Jessica Chastain, whose been in movies like The Help and Zero Dark Thirty. She plays Tana Bloom in the second episode. Two episodes to go for me.

I'm rewatching these now because I FINALLY found a decent set of it from a collector I trust, as most of the ones going around online has some audio skips and picture problems. I'll have a backup set on the way next month, along with some Cold Case I'm missing too, as Ion is rerunning those. Speaking of Cold Case, we even get a few guest stars from that show on Journeyman, like in Game Three (2 of them to boot) and in Friendly Skies (the woman giving birth on the plane in the '70s). Liked Brian Howe as Hugh as well. Really enjoying this series.