The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Episode 1 - The Glass Eye

ORIGINAL BROADCAST: October 6, 1957
STARRING CAST: Jessica Tandy, William Shatner
WRITER: John Keir Cross, Stirling Silliphant
DIRECTOR: Robert Stevens

A romantic obsession goes awry when a ventriloquist's dummy become the third part of a love triangle.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:51 pm 
This one was entertaining, but was a little bit too weird to not laugh at. I gave it a five.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:12 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Whenever I watch Jessica Tandy, I feel like I'm watching a quality performance -- sort of Shakespearean to me. Doesn't disappoint here. An interesting and odd story with, as Cyril mentions, has a laughable ending, but it was a little creepy too. Solid season opener.

7!

Oh and it was fun to see William Shatner pre-TZ.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:49 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Gotta love Jessica Tandy. Bill as the Narrator - man, he didn't Kirk once - how refreshing. :D Did anybody notice the window pane shot of Shatner? Shades of television yet to come.

Now, I figured out fairly quickly what the outcome was going to be, but damn, this was a fun little ride. Well played by all.

7!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:48 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Yeah, Tandy is always wonderful and neat to see Shatner completely different than anything else, (I'm tellin ya all, he is the underestimated actor--the laugh is on everyone else--man!), young Rosemary Harris (Aunt May in the Tobey McGuire Spiderman films), and Tom Conway as Max (Tom Conway was famous early in his career for taking over the Falcon series of films from his brother, the more famous George Sanders. By the time he did this AHP he was deep into his alcoholism which hindered his career and why I think it is interesting that the lighting of his character is so dark and one hardly sees him, but that is part of the story too, but interesting that he was able to pick up a job like this one....).

I loved the very strange ending! I mean it kept getting more bizarre and stranger and then...well....you need to watch to see what we are talking about....another strong entry in the third season written by Stirling Silliphant (who created Route 66 and Naked City and wrote a handful of AHP too).

I found some more interesting trivia on Tom Conway I thought might interest you all:
Conway underwent cataract surgery during the winter of 1964/65. In September of 1965 Tom briefly returned to the headlines when he was discovered living in a $2-a-day room in a Venice, California flophouse. Gifts, contributions and offers of aid poured in - for a time. Conway, still standing tall and trim, his hair now white, peered owl-like through thick-lensed glasses at the newspaper cameras.

His last years were marked with further visits to the hospital. It was there that former sister-in-law Zsa Zsa Gabor visited him one day and gave him $200. "Tip the nurses a little bit so they'll be good to you," she told him. The following day, the hospital called her to say that Conway had left with the $200, gone to his girlfriend's and died in her bed. He was 62

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:46 pm 

Wow - that's sad what happened to old Tom Conway - but at least he died in a happy place with cash in his pocket rather than in a flop house and penniless.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:23 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Well, you put a rather nice spin on that one DrM! yes indeed! Not sure if his "girlfriend" was living on the strip at the time or what.... :o

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:03 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
A 7 from me. Quite enjoyable if a little predictable. I agree that it was good to see Shatner pre-TZ and Star Trek and giving a great performance.

Post subject: Re: The Glass Eye
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:06 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I enjoyed "the Shat" in this one a lot. What was with his hair? I guess I'd heard he wore a toupee when his career was skyrocketing but I never gave it much thought. It was different to see him so reserved (and young) and I thought he was terrific. And speaking of terrific, Jessica Tandy is such a sympathetic character in this. Her performance as a lonely woman obsessed with a ventriloquist was adorable. I'll echo the point that Woodrow Mulligan made in this thread. The ending of this just gets stranger and stranger. During the climax of the episode, when Tandy's character meets the ventriloquist, it was truly a WTF moment. I don't want to spoil this so I'll just say that the "tantrum" thrown near the ending by one of the characters is bat shite freaky. And that ending was just so matter of fact in the way it was presented. I know I use this word a lot, but it was weird.

My Rating: 8 - Very Good

Post subject: Re: The Glass Eye
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:18 pm 

Nice review, Whit. I saw you mention this episode in another thread the other day - glad to see you posted on it.