1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Zer0 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:16 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Episode: 39 - Something in the Woodwork

"Good evening. On behalf of the management, I'm authorized to tell you that your presence here gives them great pleasure. They'd all be here to greet you personally if not for prior commitments. Several are attending funerals, and would've been here if it weren't so difficult to get out of the box - which should give you some idea as to the nature of our art.

"Now this painting, for example. Stairway and spectre, cobwebs and darkness. It's called Something in the Woodwork. It tells of what one might look for when purchasing a house, because that creak you hear in the dead of night is not always an errant rafter. Sometimes if you walk up those attic steps you'll find yourself face to face with the very thing that goes thump in the night. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the Night Gallery."

Original Air Date: January 14, 1973
Cast: Geraldine Page, Leif Erickson
Writer: Rod Serling {Based on a story by R. Chetwynd-Hayes.}
Director: Edward M. Abroms

Molly Wheatland, divorced, middle aged, and a consummate unsocial drinker. She has recently acquired a house that stood vacant for 30 years. A house reportedly haunted. To what length will Molly goto to win the friendship of a ghost who only wants to be left alone?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:21 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Another good performance by Geraldine Page, although I still enjoyed The Sins of the Fathers a lot more and even Stop Killing Me a little more. Man, this chick is so whacked out and annoying that even ghosts don't want to haunt her. Sounds like the punchline of some old joke. And it looked like she was totally hitting on that repair/home improvement guy at the beginning. I guess she was a desperate former housewife.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:53 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
The last Geraldine Page Night Gallery performances. An amazing actress that reflects even in episodes such as this. The story is fairly straight forward but the dimension she brings to Molly Wheatland is deep. You believe she is an alcoholic 50-something divorcee. You feel her bitter loneliness. Her resentment towards her ex, Charlie. You in turn understand Charlie's resentment of her. I'm sure those of us who remember this time period know this woman or one she is modeled after.

As Anthony brought up, yes indeed she was all over 20/30 something Joe the handyman. There is no mistaking that. Desperate Ex-housewives American Style.

All together a fair to middle episode that flowed well with Geraldine taking center stage. If she would have just let Jamie be ...

6!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:57 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Director Ed Abroms did a great job of providing an unsettling mood in this story. The way he moved the camera slowly around the attic had me searching for Jamie, the man who died in the attic many years earlier. Geraldine Page's character made a great sour drunk and the way she is at first welcoming to her ex-husband and then spiteful towards him at a moments notice really sells the steps she takes as the tension escalates. The first time we hear and then see Jamie in the attic is damned creepy. The way Abroms pulled off that effect using a pane of glass is impressive.

The ending had a couple of mini-twists to it, which I truthfully didn't see coming. It's certainly not a happy ending.

My Rating: 8 -Very Good

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:14 pm 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
A 7 from me. A decent enough story. Good performances and there were two possible twist endings I could think of. The actual ending was close to one of the ones I thought of.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:42 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
7 Night Stars

Cool concept, and a nice dark story.

PtE is #1Image