Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:48 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Episode 14: Dragons of Ashida

Original Air Date: December 11, 1964
Writer: Walter Black
Director: Lewis Marshall

Ashida Island, Indonesia: Dr. Quest pays a visit to a well respected Zoologist, Dr. Ashida. The Quest Team soon discover that his Zoological specialty is enlarging the native dragon lizards to many times their normal size.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:45 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
One of my favorite episodes for many reasons. Dr. Ashida and Dr. Quest are supposed old school chums that haven't seen each other in a long time. When the Quest Team find the villager floating in the water and telling tales of Dragons, you knew they had to investigate. Upon their reunion meeting, Ashida seems alright, then the slow cracking edges begin to emerge.

Tell Tale Signs the Doctors Insane:

1) He has renamed the island, "Ashida Island."
2) His new race of dragon lizards he has also named after himself.
3) The villagers have a new god to worship - Him. Gee - egomaniac or what?
4) He takes small lizards about 1 foot long and turns them into 12 foot long dragons.
5) He has a 1-eyed Sumo as his assistant.

A fun little episode where Ashida is just so obviously evil, he make Dr. Zin look like a nice guy. The long pointed finger nails, sinister laugh, obvious dislike of Race from the get go, you know this is going to be an action episode. Not only does Race get throw the beat down on the Doctor, but also on his Sumo wrestling trainer, Sumi. Because this guy is such an ass, his pride couldn't accept defeat by anyone.

At the end, I'm happy to say, Dr. Ashida gets his comeuppance and shan't bother anyone ever again. One can only assume that Sumi the Sumo took over as master of the island. As to whether the Dragon enlargement process continued is anybodies guess. But the villagers were freed, the bad guy was dead, and Race Bannon proved yet again why he was assigned to protect the Quests.

9!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:43 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Another decent episode, that has some really neat ideas going for it.

Lets face it, the "growing" of super dragons is a cool idea, and in all honesty, probably isn't too far fetched.
This is only one of several things, (as DrM mentioned) that pretty much guarantees that this doctor is insane.
Alot of it certainly seems to be his ego, which was much bigger than even the dragons themselves.

Ashida himself says he is a "fair and sporting man", but as we soon learn, nothing could be farther from the truth.

We have yet another brutal ending, where it appears that Ashida himself, was fed to the dragons.
DrMoreau thinks that Sumi takes over the island, and that seems to be the logical result.
Actually, when we reflect back to earlier parts of the episode, such as when Ashida is actually beating Sumi with a stick, and calling him names, I wonder what took Sumi so long to do anything about it. :D

Race again shows his unusually vast array of knowledge, and fighting/protection skills. This guy Race, seemingly is the end all bad ass of all time, that would even make one Chuck Norris cower in fear. There is no apparent limit to his skills boys, and this episode proves it.
Hadji at one point during Race's match with Sumi, says he "was praying for him". Shame on you Hadji, by now you should know what a weapon of death this guy Race is. :dance:

Another enjoyable tale...........
Strong "7" here.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:41 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
The Quest team is held hostage by an insane scientist named Ashida who has some nasty, oversized dragons and a large, world-champion wrestler at his evil disposal. It takes a real man's man in the form of frickin' Race Bannon to earn back the freedom of Dr. Quest and the boys. Of course, Race does so with all of his usual expertise and cool-headed tenacity. And as an added bonus, no mercy is show to Ashida, who dies in the jaws of the very dragons he created.

My Rating: 7 - Very Good

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:56 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
I also could never get over how Hanna Barbara could get these out of control dragons to break the fourth wall and smile
into the camera. :clap: I still marvel at their skill. :smoke:

Image :D