Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:26 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Episode 8: The Robot Spy

Original Air Date: November 6, 1964
Writer: William D. Hamilton
Director: Dan Gordon

Southern Arizona: An unidentified Aircraft lands on the outskirts of the Secret Desert base. Upon further investigation, it is revealed that a large monstrous spider-like robot is housed inside. It's intent, to steal the secret of the latest Quest invention ... the Para-Power Ray Gun. The robot's inventor -- none other then the evil Dr. Zin.

Image*Original Episode Title: Dr Zin's Robot Spy

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:34 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Definitely one of the definitive episodes whenever anyone thinks of Jonny Quest. A giant 4 legged spider like robot with 1 red TV camera eye. Scary and intriguing all at the same time. This robot was virtually indestructible and its arachnoid movements added to it's skin crawling creepiness.

There is so much attention to detail in how this robot behaves it was amazing. The angular movement of the robots legs and the body as it maneuvers around. It shocking suction-cup stinger that actually makes the victims shutter as if they are being hit with high voltage. The red spot where the suction cup attached/detached is a beautiful touch or realism that HB studios failed to replicate in their other action style cartoons.

Now, I see PJ has this episode taking place in Southern Arizona - which seems to be the consensus on the web - but I disagree. When we first get introduced to the aircraft, it is over the ocean and the US Air force is dispatched to intercept. When it evades them it is next seen coming in over rolling hills before it enters the desert full or typical looking cactus. This could easily be California or even Texas. Being that Quest is located in Florida and Texas was monitoring airspace far more heavily than California was, I believe that Texas could have been a far more logical location. However, since it is a secret base, it's all speculation anyway. Either direction would, after all, get you to area 51 which maybe what this secret base is alluding too.

Anyway, this is my favorite Dr. Zin episode. It shows exactly how ingenious he was - proving to be a superb Arch Nemesis for Benton Quest. He designed to robot, breaking the conventional human-like form. He apparently was the first to develop Speech Command technology. Created a small broadcast camera that was able to reach him in his secret hideout with the use of satellites and powered only by the robot. Hell, he even managed to design VTAL aircraft that was also amphibious. Truly a genius ahead of his time even in todays high-tech world.

10!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:07 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
The Robot Spy-

This is one that many talk about, when mentioning the "best" of the Quest episodes.
Along with "The Invisible Monster", it almost seems to compete for the title of "favorite" Quest episode, among most of the fans.

I tend to like this one for many reasons, not the least of which is the "robot spy" itself.
A huge, almost indestructible spider/robot, that can basically move in any direction, is an interesting idea, and must have went over very well back then.
The use of the so called spaceship in its arrival,is very cool, and adds an air of "unknown mystery", not especially prevalent in cartoons back then.
You will note that there is no sighting of Johnny, Bandit or Hadji for over 7 minutes into the episode.
Offhand I am not sure if this happens in any other episode..... interesting.

Theres plenty of gunfire in this one, and tanks and action in trying to stop the robot spy.
The evil Dr. Zin, makes yet another appearance, as the mastermind behind the robot spy itself.

I don't quite know the exact number to rate this one, but its easily among my favorites.
Top tier in almost any JQ fans list.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:29 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Action, baby! A UFO lands near the Dr. Quest's military installment bringing about a showdown with an indestructible robot spy. The robot emerges from the UFO and looks like a giant long-legged spider with one large red eye and attacks with antenna-mounted suction cups. Can you say awesome?!? This episode blew my mind as a kid and I still love the way the robot sneaks around the base. Once its discovered, a gun-firing, tank-blasting battle ensues. I think a nice movie could be made from this episode if someone gave it a retro-50s sci-fi flavor. Then again, I don't want to see any live action Jonny Quest remakes.

My Rating: 10 - Excellent

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:24 am 

whitsbrain wrote:
I think a nice movie could be made from this episode if someone gave it a retro-50s sci-fi flavor.

You know, there is only one problem with this.............
This type of movie you suggest, while interesting, would only truly appeal to a very, VERY small audience. :(
Sadly, there just isn't enough room for this in today's "Hollywood", I don't think.

The good news for us though, is at least 3 of the people it might* appeal to, are here on this board.
Me, you, and DrM. :dance:

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:11 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

Only ones who could pull it off, a movie, would be Pixar or Disney and the violence factor would exclude most kids below 8-10
for most parents. :cry: I love this type of stuff but ya have to consider demographhics unfortunately. :roll: