Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Guns of Jonny Quest:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:48 am 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

My Mood: Happy
What would boy adventurers be without guns? Doug Wildey studied the Cold War arsenals as well as classic surplus and civilian firearms to make his show realistic.
Dr. Benton Quests high tech machine carbine was fantasy in the 1960s. But the Goncz weapons system actualized the same in the latter 1980s. While Race Bannon used pretty much everything he could acquire.

Furthermore, TV in 1964 had a very low tech idea of guns. Indeed, the futuristic program 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' used mainly pre-1944 firearms. Yet Jonny Quest used the latest and best firearms available. 'Pirates from Below' the Baddies are toting AR-15 rifles and stylized machine pistols. The AR-15[semiautomatic only M-16]was first offered for sale in 1963!

The SKS carbine figures prominently in both 'Mystery of the Lizard Men' and 'Terror Island'. The SKS was a staple Communist arm widely used in the Cold War. I own two and like them a lot. But the M-14 steals the show. The M-14 rifle is iconic for multiple reasons: A. The M-14 rifle broke the V.C.'s back in Tet. B. Little kids playing sci-fi love the M-14, it looks so awesome. C. The M-14 has been recalled to service in the War on Terror. The M-14 appears in 'The Temple Treasure' 'The Terrible Turu', and 'Robot Spy' episodes.

The M-1 carbine is present in both the 'Dreadful Doll' episode, and the 'Fraudulent Volcano' episodes. And what is evidently a stylized BM-62 rifle is used the 'Arctic Splashdown' episode and an early model CETME is used in the 'Temple Treasure'. 'The House of the Seven Gargoyles' used an FAL-type rifle. The tommy gun shows up in at least three episodes. And lever action hunting rifles show up at least twice.

The Lee-Enfield appears in two episodes, most notably 'The Q Missile Mystery'. Next, I'll talk about the Handguns of 'Jonny Quest'. Indeed, Jonny Quest was a gun nut's dream. Next, the handguns of Jonny Quest.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:58 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Flamethrower wrote:
What would boy adventurers be without guns? Doug Wildey studied the Cold War arsenals as well as classic surplus and civilian firearms to make his show realistic.
Dr. Benton Quests high tech machine pistol and carbine were fantasies in the 1960s. But the Goncz weapons system actualized them in the latter 1980s. While Race Bannon used pretty much everything he could acquire.

Furthermore, TV in 1964 had a very low tech idea of guns. Indeed, the futuristic program 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' used mainly pre-1944 firearms. Yet Jonny Quest used the latest and best firearms available. 'Pirates from Below' the Baddies are toting AR-15 rifles and stylized machine pistols. The AR-15[semiautomatic only M-16]was first offered for sale in 1963!

The SKS carbine figures prominently in both 'Mystery of the Lizard Men' and 'Terror Island'. The SKS was a staple Communist arm widely used in the Cold War. I own two and like them a lot. But the M-14 steals the show. The M-14 rifle is iconic for multiple reasons: A. The M-14 rifle broke the V.C.'s back in Tet. B. Little kids playing sci-fi love the M-14, it looks so awesome. C. The M-14 has been recalled to service in the War on Terror. The M-14 appears in 'The Temple Treasure' 'The Terrible Turu', and 'Robot Spy' episodes.

The M-1 carbine is present in both the 'Dreadful Doll' episode, and the 'Fraudulent Volcano' episodes. And what is evidently a stylized BM-62 rifle is used the 'Arctic Splashdown' episode and an early model CETME is used in the 'Temple Treasure'. 'The House of the Seven Gargoyles' used an FAL-type rifle. The tommy gun shows up in at least thee episodes. And lever action hunting rifles show up at least twice.

The Lee-Enfield appears in two episodes, most notably 'The Q Missile Mystery'. Next, I'll talk about the Handguns of 'Jonny Quest'.

Very enjoyable flamethrower............... Thank you.
The "guns/handguns" of Quest are excellent,, and ones I won't forget.

I have been eerily quiet recently, and I will yap a bit more on the JQ series soon .
Have you seen our JQ "Documentary" piece??? Its excellent. I found it on youtube a few years back, and its unbelievable.
We need to get it recorded, its in the works. :twisted:
Thank you for your help......

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:58 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Wow! I had no idea there was so much realism in that show from a 'gun' perspective. Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:09 pm 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

My Mood: Happy
The handguns of Jonny Quest were unique in that most of them were semiautomatics and even machine-type pistols. Yet, revolvers did appear in three episodes. 'The Temple Treasure' featured a Colt Peacemaker. 'The Sea Haunt', and the 'The Terrible Turu' both featured .38 M&Ps.

The Luger is the preferred sidearm of Dr. Ashida, General Fong, and Heinrich von Toeffel. Both the Walther P-38 and Browning HI-Power were used in 'Double Danger'. The 1911A1 is featured in the 'Robot Spy', 'Werewolf of the Timberland', 'Attack of the Tree People'. and the 'Fraudulent Volcano'. Stylized machine pistols are used by the enemy frogmen in 'Pirates from Below'. A stylized Beretta appears in 'Skull and Double Crossbones'.

Jade's side arms are both the Beretta 951 and the Beretta Jet fire. This is evident in 'Terror Island'. Dr. Quest's preferred pistol is a Goncz pattern machine pistol, as is Race Bannon's hand gun choice, too.
In at three episodes, the same are used.