Total votes : 13
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:02 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Episode 4.3 - Nightcrawlers

Original Air Date: October 18, 1985
Stars: Scott Paulin, James Whitmore Jr., Exene Cervenka
Writer: Philip DeGuere (from a story by Robert R. McCammon)
Director: William Friedkin

Price, a Vietnam vet haunted by memories of the war, but memories become reality and are not restricted to the Twilight Zone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:45 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
This might be one of the most intense and high strung pieces of viewing,I have ever seen that was aired on primetime national tv.

It starts off rather quietly, then BANG! the music kicks in and startles us right off the bat.
Awesome score, and a rather creepy, rainy and thunderstorm setting, sets the stage for whats about to happen.

There are several little tricks and visuals, that seem innocent enough, but adding them together, really gives this one a truly unique feel, if you can call it that.
The cold beer in his hands, the steak that magically appears cooking, all of these little tidbits are just excellent touches. The "stepping on of bones" later.
Also later in the episode, there is one truly awesome visual, when "Price" looks outside and sees the shadow of a "Marine", but somehow HIS eyes are superimposed over the shadow in the glass. This is a really breathtaking visual.
There is also a quick close-up freeze of the kid as he picks up Price's lighter after disaster has struck, late in the episode.

At about 5:45 into this one, we get our first close up look at "Price", as he gazes up at the trooper. "Sure do Mr. Trooper" he responds when asked if he has a script for his pills.
Scott Paulin is absolutely brilliant.
Several times in this episode, he goes from uptight and edgy, to peering out the window with that "1,000 yard stare", that many Vets have spoken of.

Upon rewatching this one, it just nails it on all f@%king cylinders.
The "pacing", that many here speak of, is probably the best I have ever witnessed in a show like this, and it goes along quickly until finally reaching a fever pitch.

For Price, the war never went away, and it all finishes with one of the most intense, violent and downright brutal killing scenes possibly ever aired on national tv.

I have only given a handful of "10" ratings ever for this TZ series. (this one and the original)
But this is easily one of the most deserving of ALL TZ eps, all 3 series included.

If you have never witnessed this one, you are simply missing out on some of the best TZ viewing of all time.

Superb. :sparkle: 10 :sparkle:

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:30 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Top three episodes of this series. Very dark and very violent--the ending stays with you long after you watch it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:24 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I watched this again just recently and it brings an intensity that I have not seen in many broadcast TV shows. William Friedken's direction is terrific and I love the grainy look of the episode. I'm not sure if it was intentional or its just the age of it, but it's cool to look at. The subject matter is not too far off the movie Jacob's Ladder. And to top it all off, "Nightcrawlers" has a fantastic conclusion.

It looks like I'm going to have to rethink my favorite TZ '80s episodes after seeing "Nightcrawlers" again.

My Rating: 10 - Excellent

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:55 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
I watched this again just recently and it brings an intensity that I have not seen in many broadcast TV shows. William Friedken's direction is terrific and I love the grainy look of the episode. I'm not sure if it was intentional or its just the age of it, but it's cool to look at. The subject matter is not too far off the movie Jacob's Ladder. And to top it all off, "Nightcrawlers" has a fantastic conclusion.

It looks like I'm going to have to rethink my favorite TZ '80s episodes after seeing "Nightcrawlers" again.

My Rating: 10 - Excellent

I listened to the commentary on this episode (and watched the episode again also) the other morning, and they mention the "grainy look".

Alot of that was indeed intentional, and alot of other small things too.
They mention that the lights were all rigged to dim/blink at the same time, the lighting overall was also tinkered with to give it a better "overall imagery" with colors and contrasts.
There was also a comment that I found very interesting.
They mention how violent it really was, especially for its time. But if you watch carefully, almost ALL of the violence was on or towards objects, and not directed at humans.
The exceptions were shooting the sheriff, Price, and maybe 1-2 other bits. If you really think, it almost was all shooting gas pumps, the building itself, dishes cars, etc. etc.

This may be one way that helped it slip past CBS.

Either way, if any of you here enjoy this one, I strongly urge you to listen to the commentary. It explains alot about this one, and the making of it is damn interesting.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:24 am 

NYR94 wrote:
Top three episodes of this series. Very dark and very violent--the ending stays with you long after you watch it.

Wow.

I thought this was your favorite of the entire series.
I am now interested in seeing what your other top few are.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:38 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
10 from me. Wonderful, intense and loved every second.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:30 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

10. And I think The Grateful Dead and Huey Lewis provided the music, didn't they? I think Lewis the harmonica sounds.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:16 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Not much else to say here that wasn't already covered in other posts. I have yet to see any other episodes, besides these first 4 (with multiple segments), but this is by far the best one yet. Intense is an understatement. Paulin was extraordinary here. Following in the footsteps of Rod in explaining the effects of war, adapting this short story was a brilliant idea.

10!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:23 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
I love the production of this one, I think the acting and direction is great. This episode is exciting and violent for a TZ, which is cool.
I just feel that the police officer was killed unfairly, and it was unfair for the cook to be shot. I also wish there was an intro or at least an extro
( I know not all TZs have them, just wish they all did).

I really like this dialogue:

Cook : " War's is over, no need to bring it back."
Price, shoots a glare at the cook, and grimly says in his gravelly voice " Bring it back, it never went away.. not for me."

Scott Paulin is a very convincing actor ( first time I ever saw him act,only time I think), he puts alot passion, pain, aggravation into this role.
He really delivers the following lines succintly, stressing the right words at the right time:

" So you know what I did, Mr. Trooper, I ran, I left my unit behind... see...because the only way I could save my life is by stepping on bodies driving down into mud! I am not talking about cong, I am talking about my friends. I did not just desert these guys, I buried them!!!"

It is an excellent episode to watch, highly exciting, superb acting, and editing. Visually stunning, has some similarities to TZ: TOS , anyone else feel that way?

8 Zones

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:23 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

If you've seen the movie 'Teen Wolf' then you've seen Scott Paulin in something other than this. He had a bit role as the director of the school play. This TZ segment, however, displays his acting chops to the full extent. I'm almost done with the first season, and this is still my overall favorite.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Thanks Mr. Lazyboy for the info, sorry to say I am not a fan of Teen Wolf the movie ( I do love MJF though), so I probably am
supressing my memory of seeing him, haaahaaa.
Yet, nice to know, he is a tremendous actor, I so agree.

This is one of the best 80s TZ I have seen too, :D

I still am shocked I have not seen most of these, I swear I use to watch this show almost fervently, alas....

Z :D

PS: Lazy, you are zone greatness :D

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:17 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
He also played Christian Slater's father in "Pump Up The Volume"

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:35 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Thanks Mr. Z! You are a Zone treasure!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Dr. M, thanks great sir, I love PUTV, thats a superb movie, I got to watch it again to see Paulin, merci.

Lazy, no prob :D , I too am watching these great 80s TZ revues, I really love PtE for putting them up.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:01 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I agree, very good episode. Dark and mysterious. I like that.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:11 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

This episode gained some notoriety even before it aired. I remember the days before it was scheduled to air on TV back in 1985. I read, probably in the latest TV Guide back then, that it was directed by a famous film director (Friedkin) and that some scenes were considered almost too intense for television. For '85, yes, that may be true; Friedkin tapped into the nightmarish perception which everyone had about the Vietnam War by then, filling the screen with chaotic & violent images. For similar themes/visuals, see also the film Jacob's Ladder (1990).
Image Image
Friedkin turned this episode into a 20-minute movie, applying all his tricks and knowledge about constructing big-budget films. I'm not sure he bothers to supply an explanation for Paulin's abilities - perhaps something he was exposed to in 'Nam. He also demanded the best from the actors, whether getting a very naturalistic performance (most of the diner's occupants) or one that was very intense (Paulin as the vet). Paulin's character takes some pills at one point and it almost seems to me the actor himself was on some 'uppers' or something during this acting stint. He is really wired in this episode. The episode is very atmospheric - there's an ominous tension almost from the beginning and the climactic scenes of the returned soldiers, all looking demonic, can be frightening for younger viewers.

Like many big budget films, this suffers the stigma of having a lot of flash & style, but not much substance. And, as a result - to me - it doesn't really come across like a Twilight Zone episode by the end. The only indication that it was a Zone is the mention that there are 4 other vets who can do what Paulin's character can do. Uh-oh. I still give this a 9 for a visual tour-de-force. NOTE: maybe I don't need to mention this, but the actor playing the trooper, James Whitmore Jr, is the son of James Whitmore, who starred in On Thursday, We Leave For Home on the old TZ show.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:41 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I remember also seeing Scott Paulin in an episode of 24 and I just recently saw him on the show Castle. He played the female cop's dad on the show. For those who don't watch it, the show is about a mystery writer who follows and works murder cases with a homicide police detective for research for his books and the female cop is the inspiration for his books' main character. There's an ongoing storyline on the show where the detective's mom was murdered, which is still unsolved, so they'll probably solve it by the end of the series. Anyway, in a recent episode the detective character manages to find the guy that killed her mother. The only thing left unsolved was who hired him because he dies before she gets to find out from the suspect. There's a great scene with Paulin and the actress that plays the cop in a diner talking about their memories of the mother's murder and where they were at the time and what her mom would say now. I highly recommend this episode as another great example of Scott Paulin's excellent acting chops. Paulin plays Detective Kate Beckett's father on Castle.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:42 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

5 out of 5. One of the few newer TZ episodes that I give a perfect score to.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
lazyboyx51 wrote:
If you've seen the movie 'Teen Wolf' then you've seen Scott Paulin in something other than this. He had a bit role as the director of the school play. This TZ segment, however, displays his acting chops to the full extent. I'm almost done with the first season, and this is still my overall favorite.

He's also the Red Skull in the 90's Captain America movie which is considered dire, but I rather like it, and Paulin makes a decent villain.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:08 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
When I first watched this episode, I really couldn't see what all the fuss was about, it came across as pretty avarage to me. I've just watched it again now a few years later than when I first saw it, and like everyone has mentioned here, it is technically brilliant, the acting particularly by Scott Palin, direction, cinematography, music etc, but the story although good is the weakest link in the chain for me, so I'm settling on 8/10.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:17 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Oh yeah and I just remembered Paulin was in the classic The Right Stuff as Deke Slayton.

And I thought the story was brilliant, someone being haunted by demons from their past.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:44 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

This also more than makes up for the weaker, but average at best, first two segments of this episode, Little Boy Lost and Wish Bank.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:18 am 

If there was such a thing as 10 "best ever" TZ episodes, then this one would almost have to be included in my list.

Its been ages, I might have to check this one out again soon.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:42 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

So glad you guys keep up with this stuff as most of my DVD collection is TV westerns and police/detective series. Of course I have original TZ and OL but I appreciate very much these reviews of material I haven't seen. Great stuff all around. Will be looking out for this one. Also have Star Trek: TOS.....of course. :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:44 pm 

Video on original topic has been fixed ;)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:31 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Episode comes on today at 2:30 pm EST on Chiller

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:37 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Oh my....scary.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:33 am 

Shatners Grim Reaper wrote:
Oh my....scary.

Care to expand on this Shat???

I have not been around recently, but I stick my head in here a bit.
I like your thoughts, and this is one of my favorites.

I will give my thoughts again in a couple days. ;)

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:42 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

This is a ten plus episode...one that no doubt Rod looked down and smiled proudly about.

What a great setting for this tale...a country cafe out in the middle of nowhere....in a raging thunderstorm...with a typical husband and wife team as the cafe's owners and cooks....and of course...a juke box....does it work??? Nice opening shot of sheriff's deputy arriving at the diner...and amidst the rain storm...no true foreboding of the HORROR to come.

The deputy greets the cafe's cooks before mentioning an ungodly onslaught at a motel down the road a ways....several dead with apparently no surviving witnesses to describe what HELL was unleashed there.

Soon...an 80's version of the Cleavers show up at the cafe. So far...I'm still not clued in on why PTE is so high on this episode....seems normal and wayfaring enough at this point.

Next...an external shot of a near two car accident as a seemingly crazed driver of the speeding vehicle runs another vehicle off the road. The speeding vehicle wildly parks his car at the cafe.

The deputy and cafe occupants are more than a little nervous as a deranged looking middle aged man enters the cafe from the formerly speeding vehicle.

The man enters and declares that he needs a strong cup of coffee...the deputy persists in grilling the man over his reckless driving raising his suspicions that he's "on the run". One of the cafe cooks tells the deputy that obviously the man is tired and asks the deputy to soften his approach.

The reckless character pulls a lighter from his jacket exposing a skull displaying the inscription "Nightcrawlers". The reckless man is asked about his lighter and he reveals that he was part of a special forces group in Vietnam that relayed info on the ememies whereabouts as they crawled through jungles and rice patties at night to conduct their business. The reckless man informs them that he is ashamed of himself because he didn't die with the other eight members of his unit. The reckless man becomes agitated when the deputy persists in questioning him about Nam..transforming from a persistent micro scoping cop to man that begins to offer friendship while delivering his curiosity and regret for not serving in Nam. The reckless man informs him that he does NOT wish to discuss the war any further.

The reckless man having finished his coffee...determines that it's time for him to go. The cop believes the man is a threat with his driving and is in need of a rest. He demands that the reckless man ride with him and the Cleavers to a nearby motel to rest.

It is at this point that the brilliance of this episode takes shape...as the reckless man explains indirectly that he can NOT oblige...that he walked on the bodies of his comrades in the war....and (he breaks off) he needs to move on. One of the cafe cooks says that the reckless man needs to let go of the war. The reckless man declares that the war will NEVER go away for him.

It is at this point that the brilliance of the episode begins to take shape as he describes "walking on the bodies of his comrades" as the cop jumps between more digging questions about the war and communicating to the reckless man that he go to the motel and rest. The reckless man informs him that you DO NOT WANT ME TO GO TO THE HOTEL WITH YOU....and then the 10 plus episode takes shape.

Thanks guys for pointing me to this one...it's a great 20 minute movie as one reviewer declared. I will be hard pressed to come up with a 20 minute movie as good as this one.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:20 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

What other episodes do you recommend???

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:09 pm 

There are quite a few good ones actually.
But realistically, there are also quite a few poorer efforts all through the 80's TZ too.

Off the top of my head, here are a few more you might want to seek out and have a look at.
Many of these seem to be the more highly regarded episodes, among many of the fans.

A Small Talent For War
Paladin Of The Lost Hour
A Message From Charity
Kentucky Rye
Examination Day
A Little Peace And Quiet
Need to Know
Dealer's Choice
Her Pilgrim Soul

These above are mostly Season 1 epidoes, although there are also a few solid episodes in the later seasons.

Have a look at this thread ---> viewtopic.php?f=70&t=291

I'm looking forward to your opinions on the others, when you get a chance.

Shatners Grim Reaper (SGR for short) :dance: also remember we have quite a few of the episodes embedded right in their respective threads too, where you can watch here right on the board.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:12 pm 

Season 1:
Paladin of the Lost Hour
The Shadow Man
Button, Button
Kentucky Rye
Need To Know

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:57 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Thanks Gentleman...I have been browsing TV.com....and U R right on...with your recommendations. Thanks so much.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:05 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

I also was anxiously awaiting this episode since I heard so much about it. But I must agree with Rorschach, great special effects, good acting but a very weak and political unsatisfying story. A military man and a law enforcement officer arguing over Vietnam? Really? Then what are stupid hippies for? Another metaphor, in the Scott Paulin character, apologizing to the family for his horrific story. Once again, how did the Nightcrawler get his power and for what purpose? To inflict Vietnam like damages to America as a payback for My Lai? It's stupid hippie-speak on the Vietnam War and not a very good one at that. But the special effects were awesome and I thought the characters did a very good job with a stupid script. A 7 on the Creeper Scale due to that and SFX! :|

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:35 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I was under the impression he was haunted by the things he was involved in and those hauntings materialized. Personally, I didn't perceive it as "inflicting Vietnam like damages to America as a payback for My Lai".

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:58 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I was under the impression he was haunted by the things he was involved in and those hauntings materialized. Personally, I didn't perceive it as "inflicting Vietnam like damages to America as a payback for My Lai".

Agreed.
Myself, I have never have tried to "see any hidden messages" in my TZ episodes, unless they just hit you over the head, a'la' "I Am the Night Color Me Black".
Rod himself was prone to do this at times, though not always as over the top like that one was.

I think Price was just a vet, who had some very nasty things happen to him. (some of which may not be too far off reality btw)
But he also alludes to the "theory of others", in that they may have had some experimental type weapons dropped on them.

As far as I'm concerned, he was just one of those unfortunate Zone souls, that somehow went down the wrong path.
I don't necessarily have to know why or how explicitly, sometimes its just that way in the Twilight Zone.

I do want to come right out and say something on this one, that no one here has said.
This one bridges a gap, between TZ and outright horror. A little bit of both.
It seems to draw from alot of ideas and genres, and it does it extremely well.

This may well be yet another reason DrM is so high on this one, since it essentially is right in both of his main "wheelhouses" so to speak.

:sparkle: Still amongst the best in any TZ series for my money. :sparkle:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:52 pm 

I liked I am the Night Color me Black. It was kinda silly and kinda interesting if you lived during that time period. Today it doesn't have the same impact although Barack Hussein would like to bring those times back. looks like. I'm still not a fan of Nightcrawlers, not saying it's the worst by far, just not my cup of tea. I'm glad you guys like it, though. 8)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 pm 

Beware The Creeper wrote:
I liked I am the Night Color me Black. It was kinda silly and kinda interesting if you lived during that time period.

I actually "stuck up" for that episode, and if you cruise on over to that thread you will see.
I gave it an "above average 6" I believe.

It seemed to start off with a massive premise and atmosphere, and then it went down a path that seemed to take just a tiny bit away from the story.
Not that its bad, but I think had we tweaked it just a little bit , it had the potential to be a truly superb episode.

That said, I do agree with what you seemed to say, in that I'm sure it worked better at that time in TV history. He got his message across, albeit a little over the top in execution.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
There are things I enjoyed from this episode, particularly the setting, theme, acting. I'm sure the Vietnam war was still fresh in peoples minds in 1985, so I'm sure It was profound for many viewers at the time. Frankly , I don't think it was horrific enough. This was not a 10 for me, maybe a 7. It was ....weird