District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Episode 20.1 - Profile in Silver

Original Air Date: March 7, 1986
Stars: Lane Smith, Andrew Robinson, Barbara Baxley, Louis Giambalvo
Writer: J. Neil Schulman
Director: John Hancock

A historian from the future returns to 1963 to study President John F. Kennedy, but unwittingly prevents the assassination, setting in motion a disastrous chain of events.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:12 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
I didn't enjoy this too much as a youngster, but I like it a bit more now.
This was yet another I caught in its original run back in 1986 too.
The time travel aspects in TZ always got my attention, and that coupled with the "what if" scenario that takes place here was good enough.

I suppose that the actor that played "JFK" was fair enough too, and the rest played decent enough roles.

The one thing I didn't like, was how the secret service and "JFK" all too quickly believe the wild scenario that was thrust upon them.
Even though they had several small clues in front of them, they still readily believe this happening way too easily.

Other than that, its a good enough episode.
The "futuristic" camcorder/projector was cool. On that note, the effects in this one still hold up well enough too in my opinion.

It was good seeing Barbara Baxley again in yet another TZ role. She was also in "Mute" in the original series.

Slightly above average 6.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I always like the historical time travel episodes. We saw Russell Johnson go back to Lincoln's era, here a return to JFK's time, and in the 2002 TZ Eriq LaSalle returned to Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination. I enjoyed this one -- and here we see what would happen if history was altered. Solid episode!

7!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:12 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
A good idea, realised well enough but with it being US politics, I guess I'm a little left behind in some of the significance. 7

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:29 pm 

MrRSerling wrote:
A good idea, realised well enough but with it being US politics, I guess I'm a little left behind in some of the significance. 7

I suppose one thing that strikes a chord here in the states, is the fascination with J.F.K., and the Kennedy family in itself.
For some reason, the American public has always loved the Kennedy family, and I never really could figure out why. Perhaps part of it, had to do with J.F.K. being taken from us too soon.
Much of this "love" comes from many years from before I was born, so maybe one of the "elder PTE members" can speak a bit more on this one.

But, the reason I tend to go for this one (much moreso now, than on its original airing) probably has to do with the time travel aspects, and the "what if?" nature of the consequences.

MrRSerling, I don't think you are losing too much, by this one having political ties to the story.... but I do figure it having to do with J.F.K., gives it a unique feel for the American viewers in general, particularly the older ones.
I am interested in a few of the other members opinions on this. ;)

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:34 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
This segment was like the Twilight Zone entry of a big budget time-travel adventure. With the limited budget, I'm not even sure on how they accomplished some of the images, such as a recreation of the JFK assassination of 1963 in Dallas. The episode has good performances, notably by Andrew Robinson, who gives it a good shot as the famous young President. He manages to capture some of that Kennedy mystique.
ImageImage
As mentioned in other posts above, there have been other time travel tales on the old TZ show and other series so this wasn't particularly original. Also, I think the script tries to sneak in some political subtext (this was kind of mentioned above, as well), hinting that the paradise of the future was strictly the result of people like the Kennedy clan and leaders on the left. This infers that conservatism has no place in a paradise-like Earth (this is spoken of by Lane Smith's character). When I mentioned this at another site, I upset another member, who was liberal-leaning. Of course, I would think conservatives would have more reason to be upset - this suggests that a huge chunk of the current population will have no place in this great future. Then again, it's all a mild inference, probably not worth getting into a tizzy over.
ImageImage
But, you gotta call 'em as you see 'em. I didn't write this episode; I'm just reporting on it: as demonstrated in the episode, the actions of Kennedy's descendant seemed noble and seemed like the right thing to do (saving JFK), but, such actions, based on emotion, will lead to worldwide cataclysm. The message is clear: think things out before leaping to do the 'right' thing. Overall, it was a good adventure, well done. I give it... an 8.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:35 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
MrRSerling wrote:

I suppose one thing that strikes a chord here in the states, is the fascination with J.F.K., and the Kennedy family in itself.
For some reason, the American public has always loved the Kennedy family, and I never really could figure out why. Perhaps part of it, had to do with J.F.K. being taken from us too soon.
Much of this "love" comes from many years from before I was born, so maybe one of the "elder PTE members" can speak a bit more on this one.

But, the reason I tend to go for this one (much moreso now, than on its original airing) probably has to do with the time travel aspects, and the "what if?" nature of the consequences.

MrRSerling, I don't think you are losing too much, by this one having political ties to the story.... but I do figure it having to do with J.F.K., gives it a unique feel for the American viewers in general, particularly the older ones.
I am interested in a few of the other members opinions on this. ;)

I think the fascination of the Kennedy's is more a liberal Northeast and Media
phenomenon. Remember ,Ted Kennedy's funeral was all OVER the cable networks
and ran way behind Sponge Bob Squarepants in ratings. :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:46 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
I think this segement is quite good, like a few people here, I too like time travel stories and I also like it when time travellers accidentaly create a paradox in the time line, both Lane Smith and Andrew Robinson are particularly good in their roles and the ending is effective. The storyline of this episode is very similar to an episode of Red Dwarf called Tikka to Ride which was made after this and also involves the Kennedy assassination, and as much as I like this, the Red Dwarf story is even better.

7/10

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:38 am 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

By all rights this one shouldn't work for me, because ALMOST ANY subject that people have such a year-round fascination with gets ruined for me, because of all the exposure. Including JFK. (Or Ted for that matter - I got bored with Ted Kennedy jokes incredibly early, including jokes about the obvious event!) But somehow that isn't a problem for me with this story, especially because of Robinson and Smiht, but because of the whole thing.
Also, this episode is almost more like an all-out fantasy story disguised as a SF story (a little like MAN WHO WAS NEVER BORN in a way), so you have to kind of "roll with" some plot holes. But that isn't much of a problem either.