Zer0 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:36 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Episode 24.1 - A Day in Beaumont

Original Air Date: April 11, 1986
Stars: Victor Garber, Stacy Nelkin, Jeff Morrow, John Agar, Warren Stevens, Richard Partlow
Writer: David Gerrold
Director: Philip DeGuere

An earnest young scientist and his fiancée really see a flying saucer land and bug-eyed aliens emerge, but they can't get anyone to believe them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:02 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
I love the sci-fi movies of the 50's like "This Island Earth," "War of the Worlds," "Them!" and "Forbidden Planet" etc, so this was a rare treat for me seeing all the various little references and actors from those movies, the plot is nothing special but it isn't meant to be, it works as an affectionate pastiche. 8/10

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:11 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
This one is fun in a 1950's "Martian invasion" sort of way. I can't say much for the acting or the special effects, though.

I love the Sci-Fi related name drops throughout this episode. The "Bradbury" ray, the towns of "Beaumont" and "Willoughby", the pinkies sticking out as a nod to "The Invaders"...all of these things make the episode more enjoyable.

The ending is not a surprise but as a plus, the locust-headed aliens are neat. It's an entertaining enough tribute to sci-fi flicks of the past.

My Rating: 6 - Good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:03 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
You forgot to mention the PODS the aliens initially walk out with and Orson's comment in scoff about Tarantulas as big as houses. :lol: God, this was just a fun retrospective. Lots of good nods just chucked throughout this episode.

I only real 2 complaints about this episode - they bugged me in the 80's and still do today.

1) The obvious FORD product placement on the back of the Woodie. In the 40's and 50's, Ford didn't use the blue badge on their wheel covers. My uncled owned a Woodie and the rear spare tire was housed in metal, painted the same color as the car, with a spare chrome hubcap with Ford in block letters engraved around it.

2) The Air Force never used sleeve chevrons emblazoned on their caps. The one scene where the Sgt Major addresses the couple always makes me laugh when I see the arm patch sewn onto the hat. Whether done in fun or for show is immaterial - it still brings a big old smile to my face when I see it. Ed Wood Jr. would be proud. :D

As stated by both Rorschach and whitsbrain, not a great episode for the story plot, but for the nod to all the old school sci-fi movies and innuendos to the masters that inspired this episode, this is a winner.

8!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:22 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
DrMoreau wrote:
You forgot to mention the PODS the aliens initially walk out with and Orson's comment in scoff about Tarantulas as big as houses. :lol: God, this was just a fun retrospective. Lots of good nods just chucked throughout this episode.

1) The obvious FORD product placement on the back of the Woodie. In the 40's and 50's, Ford didn't use the blue badge on their wheel covers. My uncled owned a Woodie and the rear spare tire was housed in metal, painted the same color as the car, with a spare chrome hubcap with Ford in block letters engraved around it.

I did notice the pods and the Tarantula nod, also. I also questioned the Ford badge. My dad worked for a Chevy dealer when I was a kid and I used to know a lot about those old cars. There's no chance that badge would have appeared on that car.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:48 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
There was also a mention of a town 'Matheson' at the end. Great name-dropping episode and references, great campiness in this sci-fi genre episode, but below average acting (perhaps adding to the campiness). Nothing spectacular here, but for the end of the season, it's serviceable, and definitely appreciated for a science fiction reference piece.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:09 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
An enjoyable episode. 7

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:57 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I'll admit to a certain personal preference for an episode such as this because I'm very fond of the era it quite slavishly attempts to emulate: the golden age of science fiction in the fifties. This segment is an all-out homage to those sci-fi films of the fifties decade - blatant, unsubtle and rather wonderful. All those goofy plots involving alien invaders - many of which took place in the desert regions - are reconstructed in about 15 minutes of retro cinema.
Image Image
Now, this is a Zone episode, so there is a final twist in the end. The episode was written by David Gerrold, who also wrote The Trouble With Tribbles on TOS, so there is an amusing tone throughout. There are numerous in-jokes, beginning with the title itself (Charles Beaumont, famed writer of several old TZ episodes). The cast includes a few iconic faces from the fifties: Ken Tobey, John Agar, Jeff Morrow and Warren Stevens (this last from Forbidden Planet and the TOS episode By Any Other Name). A couple of these actors also appeared in episodes of the old TZ show, written by... Charles Beaumont.

There was a recent full-length film which also tried to recapture that fifties sci-fi feeling in a similar way - Alien Trespass. It, like the episode, is kind of silly and trivial, I suppose, but the episode is better.
I give the episode an 8, just for being what it is.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:59 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
Another thing I noticed about this episode on watching it again is that it has a pretty nice score with a Herrmannesque quality to it, I think that in contrast to the original TZ series, the 80's version suffers because the music in it was mediocre, unlike the original series which really benefited from great composers like Herrmann and Goldsmith, but this episode is a good exception.