Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:28 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Greetings everyone and welcome to Pushing The Envelope. My name is Phineas J. Whoopee your Post Master General (aka Administrator) and this is the first in my series of posts regarding the use of the board and many of its features. Since this is a board about posting on any topic, lets take a look at the inner workings of the POSTING section. {To apply any tag, simply highlight the desired text using your mouse and click on the desired tag.}

Being that there are TAG bars that contain information, we will start at Bar 1, hence referred to as B1. We will always start from the left and work to the right.

B1

Bold Italic Underline: These will perform the typical text modification functions most everyone is used to using with document writers, email, etc.

Quote: A generic quote. Unlike the button provided on each thread, this will not state the author of the quote,. It will simply place it in a quote box.
Example:
Quote:
The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.

Code: This will take any text and display it exactly as typed. It will not show any BB tags, images, etc.
Example:
Code:
This is [b]how[/b] code will [u]display[/u] the [Fcomic]modified[/Fcomic] text or images.

List, List=, *: This allows you to make a indented list. List= allows you to specify numbers or characters. * allows you to add elements beyond characters, such as smiles.
Example:
    :D Here is a bullet list point
    :) And Another
    :twisted: And yet another

Img: Post a direct link to an image, IE: http://blah/blah/blah.jpg. Formats can be Jpg, Png, Bmp, Gif, etc. {Images must be contained within this tag or they will not be displayed as images only links.}

URL: This tag, just like Img, will allow links to other HTTPs. Without this tag, it will just be text and may or may not become a linkl. Yes, you can hide the HTTP by using url=htp then add text descriptor between the brackets.
Example:
Code:
[url]http://pushingtheenvelope.freeforums.org[/url] or [url=http://pushingtheenvelope.freeforums.org]PtE Forum[/url]

will give you this: http://pushingtheenvelope.freeforums.org or PtE Forum

Flash: This will post generic flash videos that a tag code has not been written for, which isn't much. post width, height inside the brackets and the url for the flash.

FONT SIZE: Pretty obvious, it changes the size of the text font.

FONT COLOR: Again, this option lets you alter the color of your text. On the right hand side of posting box you will see your basic choices. {Hex color codes or color names may also be used to generate custom colors.}

B2

Alignments

If you have ever worked with a Word Processing Program, this will be quite familiar to you. You have (4) options, Full Justification, Right, Center, and Left.

Fonts

Here are some quick popular fonts: Arial, Arial Black, Century Gothic, Comic Sans, Courier, Georgia. You may also notice NiteGall and Village which are Night Gallery Font and The Prisoner Fonts. You can also hard code any font you want to use by using Font="font name here". Remember, when you hard code, close your tags with /font inside square brackets.

Font Definers

Sup & Sub Scripting: These are the (2) "X"s with the 2 showing the placement of the character. Superscript will make the font small and align to the top, whereas subscript will align the text to the bottom. Very useful for formulas, foot notes, or just to be a clever poster.

s or Strike This draws a line through the text. Example: Strike.

MARQ: Oh, yes indeed, it's a scrolling marquee to add that extra pizazz to your post. You have (4) choices to choose from: Up, Down, Left or Right scrolling. You can also specify the speed of the marquee {1 ~ 9.} You can add any other modifiers to the text, such as size, color, font, etc. I should mention that text size does play an important role in this function. Below is an example of Scrolling up at a speed of 6:
Code:
[marq]up, 6, [color=green][size=200]Welcome to Pushing The Envelope![/size][/color][/marq]

Welcome to Pushing The Envelope!

SPOILER: Spoilers is a hidden alert box that will allow people to access the spoiler &/or read past it without any undue attention and heralded warnings needed. You can place Text, Images, even Vids inside a spoiler container.
Spoiler example:
Code:
[spoil]Place hidden text, Images, or Videos Here.[/spoil]

Spoiler

By definition, any discussion on a topic is bound to have spoilers.

Tab: Ah, how many times have you wanted to add an indented tab to a paragraph. Well, now you can. Simply specify the amount of the indent in pixels, separate it by a colon and type your text. Example:

Code:
[Tab]25:We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.[/Tab]

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Film, Frame & Scribd will have separate posts dedicated to their use in subsequent posts.

Videos

Here are the current videos you can embed using our BB Tags. Most are straight forward and only need you to post their Permalink. Some, require you to specify width, height, and a code number. If you mouse over the tag, you will see which is required and what information you need to provide.

Note: YouTube videos and YouTube Playlists are separate entities and should not be confused. Standard YouTube videos use the standard YouTube tag whereas playlists use the YTPL tag.

There will be subsequent posts dealing with videos in the days or weeks to come.

Now, last but not least, the hint bar. This will display the code that the board is generating to make these effects. Simply hover the mouse over any of the button tags and have the code displayed for that function. Whether you are a coder, a point and clicker, or someone who uses both, hopefully all aspects of your posting habits will be covered with this hint text.

I hope many of you will find this post useful and helpful.

Happy Posting and have fun!

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject: Film Tag
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:55 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Movie: Godzilla "Gojira"

Director: Ishirô Honda

Year: 1954

My Rating: 7!

This was the classic old b&w version - before Raymond Burr came aboard. Sure, it is kinda dated in todays technological world of computer CGI, but, for 1954 - this was good stuff.

This is an example of preformatted Film Review TAG - ie: film. This is how it is written.
Code:
[[film]Godzilla [i]"Gojira"[/i] ; Ishirô Honda ; 1954 ; 7! ; This was the classic old b&w version - before Raymond Burr came aboard. Sure, it is kinda dated in todays technological world of computer CGI, but, for 1954 - this was good stuff. ; http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/Pushingtheenvelope/pte3/05dvd1650.jpg[/film]

As you will note, the background image and all other texting has been added for you in the background. Just think, all that tedium has been removed so it's easier for everyone. Also note, you can still use italics, colors, and fonts on your text inputs

Remember this format and you'll be good:

Movie Title ; Director ; Year Made ; Your Score ; Critique ; Image URL

You must separate the elements with a space before and after the semi-colon. Why? Because sometimes you may want to add a semi-colon and not want to break the formatting. ;) You'll note the last object is an Image URL. If you don't want to include and image, simply place a space after the last semi-colon and use the "ph" bb Code tag.

NOTE: Please check the "Do Not Automatically parse URLs" box in the Post Options box to get images to appear correctly! If you don't have an image, use the "ph" tag to insert an invisible placeholder

Post subject: Scribd Tag
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:32 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Welcome to how to use the SCRIBd Tag.

What is SCRIBd?

Scribd.com is an on line pdf hosting site that allows you to embed pdf files just like videos. You can make the files full screen, bookmark pages, etc.

OK, now how does it work?

Find the ebook or article posted on Scribd. If available, get the embed code. This is the information you need from it.

Width (You can manually specify a different size)
Height (You can manually specify a different size)
Document # (Typically a 15 digit number) doc_###############
Doc ID (Typically an 8 digit number) document_id=########
Access Key (Typically key-19 digit number) access_key=key-###################

Now post the above information, separated by comma's. Note: Document IDs only require numbers. Access Key must contain the word "key-" before it's number
Example:
Code:
[scribd]565, 740, 898264269622726, 17518627, key-2iuvemlhd4jlmsdvwdzn[/scribd]

Produces the following:

Have Fun & Happy Posting,

Phineas J Whoopee

Post subject: Frame Tag
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:00 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Frame

The frame tag allows you to add a caption {including font, color, styles, smiles}, a bordered frame {frame thickness 1 ~ 9} to any text, image or video file.

Here is how it works:

Caption; pixels; Text or Image

Code:
[frame][i][size=120][color=#FF8000]Phineas J Whoopee Speaking[/color][/size][/i]; 3; [img]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/Pushingtheenvelope/tentux-2.jpg[/img][/frame]

Results in this:
Phineas J Whoopee Speaking

Have Fun & Happy Posting,

Phineas J Whoopee

Post subject: Radio Tag
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:00 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
PtE Radio:

Have you forgotten the good old days of radio - well, we haven't. Click the play button and find out why.

Just stream your favorite MP3 or Internet Radio station.

Posting is easy, just paste the URL of your favorite Internet radio station or MP3, highlight, and click on the Radio BB Code.

Note: Don't include the MP3 extension. Being that this is designed for streaming, the mp3 is already added for you.

Example:
Code:
[radio]http://www.misyou.net/twilight-time[/radio]

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Ok Doc, so I tested it out with a Youtube video, the Patrick Swayze song, and it wouldn't work for me. IS that not the same kind of forum you were talking about?
So if I were to post a song then where would I go, my own iTunes library?
There must be a way to link old radio shows through this link as well, true?

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:35 pm 

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:25 am 

FILM UPDATE:

I modified the BBCode for "film," please note changes:

1) Do Not use "IMG" tag on images any longer. Use the URL address only.

2) Check the "Do Not Automatically parse URLs" box in the Post Options box to get images to appear correctly!

3) If you don't have an image, use the "ph" tag to insert an invisible placeholder

Post subject: Index Card
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:13 am 

Index Card:

For those wishing to place notes of interest in a post or threads, we have the PtE Index Cards. Simply give it a title, separated from the text of the note with a colon ":". The text is already formated for you, but bolds, underlines, italics, smiles can be added for extra importance.

Code:
[index]Title:Text[/index]

Index Card

This is just a test - this is only a test. Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been IM'd or received a tweet long before this message was broadcast.

DrM

Enjoy,

DrM

Post subject: Episode Templates {eps}
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:36 am 

Episode Template {eps}:

As with the film review tag, we have tried to take some of the repetitive typing tasks to a minimum for everyone. This pre-formats the process of Episode, Cast, Air Date etcetera for you.

Here is your format:

Title and/or number; image or vid; Original Air Date; Starring Cast; Writer(s); Director; Summary

Note, each field is separated by a semi-colon. If you want to omit a field, just place a space between the semi-colons as such - "; ;".
------------------------------------------------
Example:

Code:
[eps]101 - The Beginning; [IMG]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/Pushingtheenvelope/pte3/ptelogo.png[/IMG]; month/day/year; Him, Her, Them; Some writer; Some Director; This is the pilot episode of that new series.[/eps]

Episode: 101 - The Beginning

Original Air Date: month/day/year
Starring Cast: Him, Her, Them
Writer(s): Some writer
Director: Some Director

This is the pilot episode of that new series.

------------------------------------------------

Standard mods - bold, underline, smiles, fonts, etc are allowed.

Hope it helps,

DrM

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
These are some sweet additions and modifications!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject: MyBox
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:43 pm 

MyBox:

This is your personal box. It works like code or quote - with the difference - you can give it any title you want and text display.

Example:

Code:
[mybox]lazyboyx51:These are some sweet additions and modifications![/mybox]

lazyboyx51 -

These are some sweet additions and modifications!

Thanks Lazy! ;)

Post subject: Dummy
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:53 am 

Dummy:

Your guide to mastering anything you need to master. :D

Now you can create your own "For Dummies" covers.

Format:
Code:
[dummy]Header Text/Title Text/Speech bubble Text/Author[/dummy]

Example:

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:57 pm 

Puzzle

Why just post images when we can have some fun with them too? The latest installment of PtE fun BB Code tags, Puzzle.

Simply take any jpg, png, or gif file of 400 x 300 pixels {Anything larger will either crop or dismiss all together} and post the direct link just like you do with the Image tag. But instead of IMG, turn that picture into a puzzle.

Example:

1) Paste your direct link

Code:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/Pushingtheenvelope/Classic40sSciFi/rko.jpg

2) Highlight and click on the puzzle tag.

Code:
[Puzzle]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/Pushingtheenvelope/Classic40sSciFi/rko.jpg[/Puzzle]

3) Click preview or submit and you now get:

4) Click start and solve the puzzle by using the mouse and left button to move and complete the puzzle.

Enjoy,

DrM

Post subject: Risque BB Code
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:23 am 

Risqué

If you have images that may not be suitable for all audiences or on your library/office computer screens, simply enclose them with the risque bb tag. It works like the spoiler and allows the viewer to open or ignore them at their own choosing:

Example:

Risqué Content

Code:
[risque][img]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/pjwhoopee/grandmother.jpg[/img][/risque]

Enjoy!

DrM