Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:16 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral

The Twilight Zone (1985) was the first revival of Rod Serling's widely acclaimed " The Twilight Zone".

Along with newer, updated "remakes" of a few classic episodes, such as "Dead Man's Shoes", "Night of the Meek", "The After Hours", "Shadow Play" and a few others, here we had a whole new batch of tales, that closely followed the "Twilight Zone" tradition.

New theme music composed by Jerry Garcia, and performed by "The Grateful Dead".

Guest stars include : Morgan Freeman, Bruce Willis, Martin Balsam, Martin Landau, Adrianne Barbeau, Danny Kaye, James Coco, Sherman Hemsley, Elliot Gould, Shelley Duvall, Fred Savage, Harry Morgan, Marc Singer, Eddie Albert, Barry Morse, Dean Stockwell and countless others.

It ran for three seasons.

SEASON ONE - 1985 - 1986

SEASON TWO - 1986 - 1987

SEASON THREE - 1988 - 1989

*Season 1 and 2 episodes, had anywhere from one to three segments , and season 3 was made up of half - hour episodes aired individually*

After CBS decided to cut it from their schedule due to sagging ratings, a new production team was brought in to churn out yet another 30 episodes. (season 3)
This was done mainly to help make and sell a "syndication package".

It should be noted, that Charles Aidman (a veteran from the original series) was the offscreen narrator, used for the first two seasons.
Ultimately , Robin Ward was brought in for the narration for season 3, and he also took place of Charles Aidman for the syndication package as well.

Although there was yet another "Twilight Zone" series to be released again later in the year 2002, most universally agree , that this 1985 version was the closest thing to the original series and its vision.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:07 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
The 1980's Twilight Zones are great. I am a fan, I am rediscovering them :D

Mr. TZ DZ, Thanks.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:20 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Agreed. 80s TZ caught the feel of the Original while supplying something new. It wasn't always great but neither was the original (Sounds and Silences anyone?) but the 80s Zone certainly introduced me to the original series being aired late at night.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Ok I suppose it's time I stop faking and jump on the 80s bandwagon. So this is available in stores correct?? Or do I have to purchase it online....?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:42 pm 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
StillValleyBard wrote:
Ok I suppose it's time I stop faking and jump on the 80s bandwagon. So this is available in stores correct?? Or do I have to purchase it online....?

Both :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:15 pm 

Its actually doubtful you will find it in many stores.
I think that you may find it in BestBuy though, if you ever go there.

Most places don't carry it, seeing as its not really the most popular set around.

As a fan you will enjoy it, but I am betting it will be like many agree on.
You should enjoy the first season alot more than the others in my opinion, and thats pretty much what most say.

As a fan of the originals, you will certainly like the flavor of it, but do remember its a bit dated.
You probably won't have a problem with that either, because alot of the movies you tend to go for are from the 80s too.

My advice - seriously, I would obviously say give it a chance, because you are a solid fan of the originals. I would say buy the first season, keep an open mind and go from there. Then if you want to pick up seasons 2-3 (packaged together), you can always pick that up later.
There are a fair amount of segments/episodes that aren't nearly as good as the originals, but there are alot that you will enjoy as well, and also some that rank right up there with the best of the originals also.
So it has its share of good and bad, just as with any series, and also like the original.

Do let us know what you do, and when/if you get season 1.
I am most interested in your opinions on some of them. :clap:

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

My advice - seriously, I would obviously say give it a chance, because you are a solid fan of the originals. I would say buy the first season, keep an open mind and go from there. Then if you want to pick up seasons 2-3 (packaged together), you can always pick that up later.
There are a fair amount of segments/episodes that aren't nearly as good as the originals, but there are alot that you will enjoy as well, and also some that rank right up there with the best of the originals also.
So it has its share of good and bad, just as with any series, and also like the original.

TZ DZ fan

I am already a huge fan of Tales From The Crypt and Tales from the Darkside so anthology shows I have no problem with. I would prefer that this be in a store so I can pick up the first season of TFTD and this first season of this 80s TZ together....
.I will give this a chance for sure...
This probably would be a great time for me to check out some new shows and yes I seem to be in some sort of a 70s/80s phase right now as I never gave anything in that time period a chance before and am only now starting to check out the cool stuff over the past few years.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:34 am 

StillValleyBard wrote:
I am already a huge fan of Tales From The Crypt and Tales from the Darkside so anthology shows I have no problem with. I would prefer that this be in a store so I can pick up the first season of TFTD and this first season of this 80s TZ together....
.I will give this a chance for sure...
This probably would be a great time for me to check out some new shows and yes I seem to be in some sort of a 70s/80s phase right now as I never gave anything in that time period a chance before and am only now starting to check out the cool stuff over the past few years.

So SVB, have you had the chance to snap this set up yet?

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on some of these episodes.

The BestBuy site has this listed as "backordered". Not sure if they stock it in stores, but from my memory, I think they *DO* keep it there pretty much all the time.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:45 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I love the theme music - The Grateful Dead did a great job. I'm creeped out by it to be honest -- it's a very haunting version. The image of Serling was a beautiful touch.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:51 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

In viewing this first season, although there were quite a few really good episodes/stories, I still think that something is lost from the original. Yes, it's closer to the original than the 2002 series, but for some reason, I get feeling that the people behind this version had the idea of The Twilight Zone as a realm or dimension where bizarre things happen. Though that may be true, Rod always had a reason, or a moral, behind his stories (whether he wrote them or the ones he chose to air). Not many of these put forth those ideas -- a lot of these just seemed to be "other worldly" or weird and strange for the sake of it. That's why I love Nightcrawlers -- though it's a similar notion as already seen in the original -- that war warps the mind and those who fight in it can never let it go -- it was done so well. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:12 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Twilig ... ries/19727

80s TZ being re-released in a complete series set. It doesn't say that it will be offered in BluRay so I'm guessing it may just be DVD.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:12 am 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

One fly in the ointment for me (and others) is the way Charles Aidman's voice was removed for the syndicated reruns. As Marc Scott Zicree says in THE TWILIGHT ZONE COMPANION, that's at least as bad as colorizing some black and white movie. But unlike someone colorizing some famous movie, it probably flew so far below the radar that it didn't get enough complaints.
Are the versions with Aidman available in any way? I mean in any "commercial" way, as opposed to VCR recordings and things like that?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:26 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:
One fly in the ointment for me (and others) is the way Charles Aidman's voice was removed for the syndicated reruns. As Marc Scott Zicree says in THE TWILIGHT ZONE COMPANION, that's at least as bad as colorizing some black and white movie. But unlike someone colorizing some famous movie, it probably flew so far below the radar that it didn't get enough complaints.
Are the versions with Aidman available in any way? I mean in any "commercial" way, as opposed to VCR recordings and things like that?

I have the '80s TZ DVD sets and they have the Aidman narrations on them, if that's what you are asking.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:31 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Glad to see a little '80's TZ chat. It's timely as AVClub just posted an article on the series. Good read and the comments were fun to read.

http://www.avclub.com/article/how-80s-twilight-zone-honored-and-extended-rod-ser-203602

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:05 am 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

whitsbrain wrote:
Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:

I have the '80s TZ DVD sets and they have the Aidman narrations on them, if that's what you are asking.

Thank you.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:22 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I haven't seen it in a long while, but something interesting happened on TV in connection with that (I guess it was during the network version and before the syndicated one, but maybe not). There was a GARFIELD AND FRIENDS episode with a Twilight Zone parody, and the narrator was Charles Aidman. I mention that because it might be nearly the only time a parody didn't go for a Rod Serling impersonation, and it's nice that someone thought of Aidman for it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:06 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Its only 20 bucks fo the ENTIRE series on Amazon. Id have to be crazy not to get this for that price. Plus Ive still not watched a single episode. Nows the time I guess.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:30 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
Its only 20 bucks fo the ENTIRE series on Amazon. Id have to be crazy not to get this for that price. Plus Ive still not watched a single episode. Nows the time I guess.

Link

Note the homage to Rod Serling about the 29-30 second mark.
The music was done by the Grateful Dead. Not sure if you knew that or not.

A few notes -

#1- $20 is a great price, snap it up immediately.

#2- It has a very grainy look, which to me it adds to the charm. Word has come out that they cannot clean it up, but so much. Essentially what you see is what you get, and it likely won't ever get much better.
Not that you have ever been one to bitch about film or picture quality. (Hey, we are all fans of OL and TZ, so we know how it is, and we aren't spoiled like todays whiners that don't want to watch black and white etc.)

#3- Be prepared, that the first season is far and away the best. This isn't merely my opinion, but its pretty much the general consensus.
The first season alone is worth that $20 tag, and more. Just don't expect the goodness to continue.
There are a few clunkers and lighthearted ones in every season. Its like the original series in that every episode isn't a winner, but thats with everything I guess.
There are a few decent-ish ones in every season though. The first season just blows the others away.

You are going to be really pleased with this I think. It has alot of the 80's air about it that you go for.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on a few of these.

With as much hype as we all put into "Nightcrawlers" , I hope you view it as highly as we do. Its pretty f@%king EPIC.

I think you should do like Lazy has been known to do with TZ sometimes.
Watch them in 2-3 episode batches, then post your thoughts on each as you go along.
That would be nice.

If you get to doing that, maybe I will finally break down and watch "The Thing". :twisted:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:50 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
I'll have to look for the set, sounds great.

TZ DZ, I wish the Rod Serling homage was way longer, yet at least they did add him to the intro.
Charles Aidman's voice is a nice touch to the series, I admit.

This series had some fine episodes, I personally would have wanted more remakes of the tos, yet that's me. I do love the episode NightCrawlers, it is epic.

I am going to rewatch these.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:18 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I bought Season 1 and then Season 2/3 on the first day they were released. I think I spent $150!!!

If not now, when?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:54 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Purchase immediately. That's an absurd price for the entire series.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:19 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

Done purchased! Charles Aidmen is now telling me strange things about our universe!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:54 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well done, Creeper. Quite the bargain hunter, you are...

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:15 pm 

Creeper- you going to post anything on the episodes/your opinions?

I know you have posted a little here and there in those threads, but not often in depth.
I was guessing you had only seen a few episodes here and there.

Will this be the first you have ever seen of most of these episodes???

SVB hasn't been around much in the last week or so, I'm assuming he has started watching also.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:56 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Its up to $30 on Amazon since that great Black Friday deal but Ill be looking to get this sometime after Xmas and I am looking forward to it. I was browsing the show guides and noticed many episodes through the series have multiple stories in them ...how did they fit these in 30 min episodes? Or are they hour long?

Also I wanted to give an update on my 80s TV Horror anthology collections so far

OWN
TALES FROM THE CRYPT
TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE

NEED
TWILIGHT ZONE 80s
MONSTERS

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:49 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I still need Monsters as well. I think its around $42 on Amazon right now which isn't bad, but I still don't think it's worth that price especially only in DVD format. If that dropped to the $30 range, then I'd be in for it. Or if it were $42 for Blu-Ray and potentially solid special features then I'd be down of that.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:01 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I still need Monsters as well. I think its around $42 on Amazon right now which isn't bad, but I still don't think it's worth that price especially only in DVD format. If that dropped to the $30 range, then I'd be in for it. Or if it were $42 for Blu-Ray and potentially solid special features then I'd be down of that.

It says $94 directly from amazon wtf? :shock:
How much of Monsters have you seen? Im most likely getting 80s TZ over it but would like both. Ive heard there are no exterior shots in the whole show :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:05 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

How much of Monsters have you seen? Im most likely getting 80s TZ over it but would like both. Ive heard there are no exterior shots in the whole show :lol:

Buy the god damned 80's TZ and be done with it. :oops:

It will give you some crucial viewing over the holidays when the rest of TV is pretty much terrible.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:42 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

StillValleyBard wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

I think the $94 is for a seller "fulfilled" through amazon. But when I clicked the actual page, somewhere on the right-hand side of the page "sold by amazon" was around $42.

I can't recall how much I saw, but I remember thing in when it aired Saturday nights when I was a kid. Definitely get the 80s TZ, especially at that very low price.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:30 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Im getting it. I cant believe TZ ran all the way up to 1989...that surprised me.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:33 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
Im getting it. I cant believe TZ ran all the way up to 1989...that surprised me.

Alright dude...............

You admitted in the other thread that you finally got the 80's version in.

Care to give us a few write ups?

Before you get too far in, you might ask a few of us for some suggestions on "saving" a few of the better episodes until the end of the line.
The final season is sure to let you down a bit compared to some of the earlier stuff.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:18 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:
Im getting it.
You admitted in the other thread that you finally got the 80's version in.
TZ DZ fan

Well, its kind of a funny story....yes I received the TZ 80s set in the mail a few months back.
However, a few days later a family member saw the set on the shelf and proceeded to borrow the collection. They were not sure if they had ever even seen the show before... but happened to be a fan of anthology shows including the original TZ.
Appearently the first few episodes (excluding Shatterday, Id guess episodes. 2-4) had left some kind of profound effect on said family member because they could remember each one vividly and almost verbatim. Thats how much of a mark the 80s TZ had left on them...nearly 30 years later.
I myself have actually not watched a single episode. But if 80s tz could leave an impact like that with others Id imagine Id feel the same way.

I can say without a doubt that I will be starting this show soon...very soon ....and promise to write up the reviews in the appropiate threads. I just need a little bit more time.