Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This Ain't No Backlot!
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
From time to time I find myself in a state of Deja Vu. I go to places I've been to before even though this is my first time physically at the location. Most recently, I had this feeling on the streets of Downtown L. A. Being a native here, I see tons of stuff being filmed all around me - CSI:NY, Hancock, Watchmen, etc. However, on my way home the 110N was packed bumper to bumper - say it ain't so, Doc - and I decided to take the back way home through the lovely streets of Lost Angeles. As I drove I passed by some familiar buildings - too familiar. I pulled over, threw a quarter in the meter, and snapped a few shots of some of the buildings that gave me that lovely Deja Vu.

Having spent the last few weeks making the Kolchak episode cards for the threads, I had been re-watching a most of them and grabbing some key shots. Most I didn't use but were clean shots to have. I jumped to my "Horror in the Heights" folder, and sure enough, I found some eerily similar shots. As I looked through a lot of my grabs I can pretty much nail down a lot of the Chicago exterior shots that are actually L.A. Downtown and surrounding areas for the Kolchak series. Since this one leaped out at me, I feel obliged to start with it.

Sal & Miriam Goldstein Leaving the Regent Theater with the Hotel Rosslyn seen in the background. (1974)

Same Shot 2008 - 448 N. Main Street Los Angeles.

Corner of Winston & Main - 5 doors north of the Regent Theater.

Yes, there is an alley just below the corner as depicted in the show, but it looks nothing like that shown in the show. However, the corner of Winston may have had a large building with a Shipping/Receiving dock that has since been torn down and made into a parking lot ... so it is hard to say. There are also many, many little alleys in this area, so it may have been shot a few blocks in either direction from this local. I'll do some more research and try to narrow it and the packing house from the poker game down. I believe it is the same building just a front and rear shot. Should be fun.

DrM

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:20 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Great post, man. Horror Hound, a monthly horror magazine that I highly recommend, does this sort of thing in every issue. They take a classic horror movie and show all sorts of before and after photos of memorable scenes like you did from the Kolchak episode.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:41 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
A nice case of deja vu indeed, DrMoreau. I look forward to the rest of your posts here in Kolchak or any other sites you may know or stumble upon.

Have Fun & Happy Posting,

PJW

PS: Nice work with the episode title cards by the way. Greatly appeciate the clean up job on my faux paz too!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:37 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Thanks guys. Horror Hound - I can't say I'm familiar with that mag, NYR. You gotta web link for us?