Darren McGavin ..... Carl Kolchak
Carol Lynley ....... Gail Foster
Simon Oakland ...... Tony Vincenzo
Ralph Meeker ....... Bernie Jenks
Claude Akins ....... Sheriff Warren Butcher
Kent Smith ......... District Attorney Tom Paine
Elisha Cook Jr. .... Mickey Crawford
Larry Linville ..... Medical Examiner Robert Makurji
Barry Atwater ...... Janos Skorzeny (The Vampire)

Las Vegas, Nevada: Young women are turning up dead with their bodies completely drained of blood. The police are baffled, but one intrepid investigative journalist, Carl Kolchak, believes that an actual vamprie may be responsible for the deaths.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:51 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
I gotta admit it, I was one of the 75 million people who watched this TV movie on ABC that night in 1972. :clap: Ya gotta luv Karl Kolchak and the Las Vegas modern vampire schtick. :evil: Where else could a vampire have a great night life? :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:56 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Great episode--this should be the first for any would-be Kolchak fan looking to get into the series.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:10 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

I loved this show; I too saw it when it premiered. Darren McGavin was a delight.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:53 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
This is a nicely done TV thriller. It's campy but has a dark mood that I enjoyed. The "Night Stalker" himself got quite a bit of screen time. He wasn't hidden in the shadows too much. There are a couple of short but good action sequences where the Night Stalker evades police cars, motorcycles, even gun fire. Kolchak manages to handle the Night Stalker a bit too easily when compared to the army of police and their failings, but that is all part of the movie's charm.

Darrin McGavin as Kolchak was one of my favorite characters as a youth and I absolutely loved the TV series that followed soon after.

My rating: 8 - Very Good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:54 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Definitely my favorite of the 2 movies. This has all the punch and pizazz that made it the highest rated TV Movie for years here in America. Carl Kolchak and a vampire running loose in Vegas - that's fun.

As Whit stated, creepy and campy. Darrin McGavin will always be forever pictured in my mind as Kolchak. The blue Seersucker suit and straw hat.

10!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:15 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
What a well crafted film and series to follow with the always excellent Darren McGavin!
I agree DrM., he will forever be in that suit and hat in my mind as well, with his ever present torch or flashlight to light the way down a dark alley or warehouse. A shame he got dissatisfied with the show and ended it too.
Anyway, I love this film and the follow up The Night Strangler as well.

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:56 am 

I remember once Carol Burnett said in her last Televisioun Programme, "Better to leave than to be
asked to leave." :clap: I must concur. :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:01 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I don`t think it was so good. I like The Night Strangler much better. If i remember right, Vincenzo only had 2 scenes in the film. I am also tired of seeing vampire films, so that didn`t help the matter. 5.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:52 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I was one of those who watched this when it first aired in '72. Over 40 years have gone by, lots of other vampire films and TV shows, lots of other TV movies, and I've seen too much in a sense since then, so it's not the same watching it now. But, man, back then, watching Kolchak go up against a vampire in modern-day Las Vegas was a heart-pounding experience; by the time I finished watching it back in '72, I was amped up - I had never seen anything quite like this at that point; of course, I was very young and hadn't seen much of anything, but what a show.

I still think this original Kolchak movie is better than any of the episodes. It has an energy and a pizzazz to it that all the episodes lacked. The 2nd TV movie couldn't match it either; it was good but the first Kolchak movie is one-of-a-kind. It changed the way I thought about vampires. A bloodletting 8.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My favorite vampire flick....Matheson was a genius setting this story in Vegas.

Ten plus. TV movies just don't get better than this.

The best thing Curtis ever did.....period.

Nothing from the TV series ever came remotely close to this film.

Hope it gets the Blu-Ray treatment. The only horror film that I own on Blu Ray is "The Bride Of Frankenstein".

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

A few months ago, I tried to find the DVD of "Night Stalker/Night Strangler" double-feature and couldn't locate it for any less than $125 on ebay! Needless to say, I gave up my search.

I doubt that it will ever see a Blu-Ray release. This and it's accompanying TV series (and The Outer Limits) on Blu-Ray with extras would blow my mind.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:15 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I found it on YouTube several months ago, and hopefully it's still there.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:32 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

whitsbrain wrote:
A few months ago, I tried to find the DVD of "Night Stalker/Night Strangler" double-feature and couldn't locate it for any less than $125 on ebay! Needless to say, I gave up my search.

WRONG!!! I just paid $30 for a new, unopened copy of the "Night Stalker/Night Strangler" DVD. Should be here tomorrow... :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:02 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

whitsbrain wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:

WRONG!!! I just paid $30 for a new, unopened copy of the "Night Stalker/Night Strangler" DVD. Should be here tomorrow... :dance: :dance: :dance:

LOL @ calling your own former statement "WRONG" :ROTF:

Do let us know if there are any extras on this set.
I am assuming its not Blu-Ray, but I would just be happy to get this one...much less an actual Blu-Ray.

Maybe its the sentimental fool in me that would love for all the good old shows to actually have a bunch of solid extras.
But I think we all know that won't happen.
Too bad in this case, I am pretty there are still a few of the actors around that would be more than happy to speak a bit on this one.
I doubt it will ever happen. (in not only this but so many old shows)
I kind of agree with you whit. I believe the "Outer Limits" might be THE BEST of all the old cult favorites not to get a proper treatment and a slew of extras and interviews.
I pretty much knew 5-6 years ago the clock was ticking and time was running out for so many of the Outer Limits actors.
Since we first started bitching about it, there has been a ton of Outer Limits deaths.

I believe there was another "Outer Limits" DVD release a couple years back wasn't it? The fact that they had yet another DVD release and to not have any real extras included is just stupid.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:46 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

It's an MGM double-feature DVD (not Blu-Ray, that'll probably never happen...this DVD is out of print).

It looks like there is an interview with producer Dan Curtis that accompanies the "Night Stalker" movie and a "directing of..." featurette with the "Night Strangler". If you want to read up about Kolchak, here's a great blog: http://akolchakaday.blogspot.com/

I hold the opinion that there WILL be a Blu-Ray release of the Outer Limits coming. As far as actors who can contribute to extras, I don't think it's necessary. Like has already been done on the "Twilight Zone" Blu-Rays and "Thriller" DVDs, why not have series "historians" comment? Guys like David J. Schow, Larry Rapchak, Gary Gerani, Peter Enfantino, John Scoleri...there's a guy with a great blog out there called "My Life in the Glow of the Outer Limits" named Craig Beam who could add a lot of color to discussions that could accompany the episodes. Most of the time, the actors can't remember anything anyway.

I think it's possible for fans to do their own commentary in an entertaining and informed fashion, too. I'm not as hung up on extras as I used to be, but I do really enjoy when well-informed, in-the-know folks offer their opinions.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:54 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

whitsbrain wrote:
It's an MGM double-feature DVD (not Blu-Ray, that'll probably never happen...this DVD is out of print).

It looks like there is an interview with producer Dan Curtis that accompanies the "Night Stalker" movie and a "directing of..." featurette with the "Night Strangler". If you want to read up about Kolchak, here's a great blog: http://akolchakaday.blogspot.com/

I hold the opinion that there WILL be a Blu-Ray release of the Outer Limits coming. As far as actors who can contribute to extras, I don't think it's necessary. Like has already been done on the "Twilight Zone" Blu-Rays and "Thriller" DVDs, why not have series "historians" comment? Guys like David J. Schow, Larry Rapchak, Gary Gerani, Peter Enfantino, John Scoleri...there's a guy with a great blog out there called "My Life in the Glow of the Outer Limits" named Craig Beam who could add a lot of color to discussions that could accompany the episodes. Most of the time, the actors can't remember anything anyway.

I think it's possible for fans to do their own commentary in an entertaining and informed fashion, too. I'm not as hung up on extras as I used to be, but I do really enjoy when well-informed, in-the-know folks offer their opinions.

The Dan Curtis interview is about 15 minutes in length so it's nothing extensive but it is fun to hear his stories. He talks some about his relationship with Richard Matheson, and a moment or two about Rod Serling.

By the way, I watched this again and I really like it. I was going to change my rating to a 9 or 10 but I just can't get past the way the police crap on Kolchak. It's so heavy-handed that their mistreatment of him comes off as forced. I've never figured out if they were trying to keep their own failings in the investigation secret or if they were stealing credit for solving the case from Kolchak.