Guest Stars:
John Dehner ....... Captain Vernon Rausch
Hans Conreid ...... Mendel Boggs
Shug Fisher ....... Pop Stenvold
Robert Emhardt .... Roger, Coat of Arms Dealer
Lucille Benson .... Maura
Lieux Dressler .... Minerva Musso
Sidney Clute ...... Bruce Krause

Chicago, Illinois: When a once grand museum falls on hard times, it is sold and began its retrofit as a Discotheque. Unfortunately, when decorators and Ward Bosses start turning up dead, Kolchak discovers a disgruntled and very haunted suit of Medieval Armor that once belonged to the "Black Cross Knight" is behind the gruesome murders.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:47 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Fun episode where once again we see all the veteran actors turning up their game a notch on screen time. Pay close attention to both McGavin and Dehner when on screen together.

Interesting tale that most definitely helps the mystique of the show and Kolchak.

8!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:09 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
A Top Ten episode for me. John Dehner, Hans Conreid, & Robert Emhardt ... these three actors alone should demand a viewing of this episode.

Our synopsis: A knight of Burgundy, Guy de Mettencourt makes a deal with evil forces, presumably demons or Satan himself. In return, Guy receives a suit of armor which is impervious to all weapons. Pope Gregory IX blesses a battle axe to defeat Guy de Mettencourt. Guy is eventually slain but not before declaring that he will never tolerate music and merrymaking near his resting place. Now jump ahead 500 years and we discover that his suit or armor is now going to be a speaker holder in a museum turned disco.

Certainly this is very reminiscent of a Scooby Doo episode with a ghost in armor, but please don't let that dissuade you from viewing. This has a marvelous centerpiece, the history of the suit or armor, plus all the sleuthing Kolchak must undertake to get to the bottom of it all. This is one of the few times Carl is actually on the scene when the "Creature of the Week" attacks his victim.

John Dehner is priceless as the all knowing, Captain Rausch. More of an authority on the workings of criminal minds, World War II commando tactics and the lush comforts of living then the usual cops Carl has to deal with. This, in itself, makes Captain Rausch one of the more memorable characters in this series. He breaks the mold of the uptight, no nonsense police Captain. Plus, he actually seems to enjoy Kolchak's company ... that's a rare occurrence.

A nice climatic fight between Guy de Mettencourt spirit in armor and Kolchak with the blessed battle axe.

My only nit pick on this episode is Guy de Mettencourt is French yet he is referred to as the "Black Cross Knight." There was an order that bore this title during the times of the Crusades but they were a Germanic/Teutonic order ... not French. Oh well, I guess history and entertainment don't always need to be precise.

9/10

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:47 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Haven't seen this one in a while--I really need to break out the ole box set this weekend and catch up, but I remember this episode as being one of the better ones.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:43 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
This was one of the more enjoyable episodes of the series. Although the story of the Black Cross Knight is interesting enough and the Knight is sometimes spooky as it clanks and rattles its way around, the highlight is John Dehner's portrayal of Captain Rausch. His ramblings and interactions with Kolchak is a welcome change from the grumpy, "get-outta-here-Kolchak" attitudes of the other Captains. Actually, it was pretty funny stuff.

My Rating: 8 - Very Good