Original Air Date: December 13, 1974
Writer: Arthur Rowe and Rudolph Borchert
Director: Alex Grasshoff

Guest Stars:
William Smith ......... Jim Elkhorn
Elaine Giftos ......... Nurse Janice Eisen
Robert Yuro ........... Captain Webster
Robert Cornthwaite .... Dr. Hartfield

Chicago, Illinois: During the construction of Lakefront Hospital, something old is awakened killing Native American Construction workers. Upon its completion, the tragedies continue with doctors and patience alike. Kolchak investigates believing it's due to faulty construction work, little does he know that it's due to a Matchemonedo; a powerful Indian spirit.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:08 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Great cast that utilizes a Native American Indian theme that not only fits but works. I'm a sucker for Native American myth and lore when it's done correctly. This isn't 100% but it keeps fairly true.

William Smith - no, not Will Smith the rapper/actor - is a good guy in this episode. An nice change of pace since he was most often cast as "that guy" - you know, the bad guy as soon as he appears. Thankfully, this is before his stint on "Rich Man, Poor Man" where he forever got type cast as the bad guy. However, they do have him cast as an Indian ... really? A little white in my opinion but if they want to say he's a 1/2 breed or something, that would work. The legend and explanation works here and makes plausible since. Being that we never completely see the creature is really a bonus because it can be whatever we see in our minds eye and not a Universal make-up monster. A compelling story that never really slows down long enough to give you time to rationalize what is occurring so the suspension of belief is never called into question during the episode.

All in all, a fine story will give you goose bumps when or if you watch it alone in the dark on a cold night.

8!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:14 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
First off...DrM, the picture of Kolchak in the hardhat in this thread is awesome! Especially the way you set it against that background.

Okay...While not as good as the previous three episodes, "The Energy Eater" is a cool idea executed pretty well. I think the highlight is the way that Kolchak teams up with lady-killer Jim Elkhorn to battle the Indian spirit that is literally shaking Lakefront Hospital to pieces. Elkhorn is as unique as Kolchak and the two of them together is a laugh. The effect of the walls cracking apart is neat, too.

My Rating: 6 - Good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:13 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
whitsbrain wrote:
First off...DrM, the picture of Kolchak in the hardhat in this thread is awesome! Especially the way you set it against that background.

Thanx Whit! :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:50 am 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

My Mood: Neutral
Another tricky episode to rate. I believe this is generally considered one of the weakest episodes in the run. I know I was never very thrilled with it. However, like with a few other mediocre episodes, this one's stronger points have grown on me with repeated viewings.

Weak points:

The horror aspects are anything but horrifying. The unseen force is a positive, but its effects are generally a negative. Cracking walls okay, but the shaking camera is anything but convincing.

The pacing is a bit off in this one. Because it's Kolchak, I'm never bored with it, but on the other hand it doesn't flow well. It seemed longer than fifty minutes.

The ending is too abrupt - almost anti-climactic. Although, I must add that having the authorities heed Kolchak's advice is a refreshing change.

Strong points:

William Smith. It's great to see one of the great character actors of the 70s in a semi-leading role. As pointed out earlier, he was generally typecast as the bad guy, but in this episode he is on our side. A neat scene shows his character, Jim Elkhorn, reading a foreign language (French? - don't remember) flawlessly while a surprised Kolchak looks on. Smith was fluent in five languages.

Matchemenedo. Vampires, werewolves and demons are to be expected. This legend is probably the most obscure of the twenty episodes.

The EYE scene. This is one of my favorite scenes from the entire series run. Assembling the x-ray plates like a giant jigsaw puzzle to reveal the eye of Matchemenedo was a stroke of genius. Very effective.

I'd rate this episode near the middle of the pack. Having said that, I would *not* recommend this one to someone that has never seen the show.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:43 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

This is kind of a SPOILER, but I've read that the Elaine Giftos character becomes one of the victims, and without any real notice being drawn to it. I haven't seen it in a long while, but I remember her and William Smith having real "chemistry," so that seems like a mistake on the story's part. If anything, it really should've ended with "romance in the air" between them.