Writer: L. Ford Neale and John Huff
Director: Alex Grasshoff

Guest Stars:
Ramon Bieri ....... Captain Joe Baker
Alice Ghostley .... Dr. Agnes Temple
Victory Jory ...... Charles Rolling Thunder
Richard Kiel ...... The Diablero
Marvin Kaplan ..... Albert Delgado

Chicago, Illinois: The mysterious deaths of two wealthy society matrons leads Kolchak into another mystery involving the theft of priceless jewelry and a very tall Native Indian Medicine Man.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:53 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
It wasn't just the medicine that was bad ...

Too many things with this episode just make you stretch the imagination so far, it is all just too implausible. An ancient Medicine Man who has been cursed by the Great Spirits to restore the treasure he stole from the coffers in life. Although the myth is fairly well accurate - changing into birds and coyotes - but he can supposedly kill with just an eye to eye stare - I don't remember that part of the story. I mean, he has killed a dozen people in a room with just a look, but when Kolchak enters, he acts like a scared child. Why change into a bird when he could just kill Carl with a deadly stare? Doesn't make for good excitement in my book. I know, Kolchak has that scary camera with a flash attachment, but hell, traffic and big city lights hadn't slowed him down at all. Besides, he is in Chicago and he is killing for jewelry, not sacred or Indian in nature, just expensive jewelry. Wouldn't it have been easier to use his power to knock over a dozen or so Jewelry stores - bigger haul, less time, etc. And the story just stagnantly crawls along without any real excitement. And Richard Kiel may be big and intimidating, but an Indian he ain't. Too many things made me question this as a 10 year old that still nag at me 30+ years later.

3!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:06 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Well DrM, it seems we differ once again. I had been critical of Darren McGavin's lackluster portrayal of Kolchak in the earlier episodes "The Werewolf" and "Firefall". But in "Bad Medicine", Kolchak is sneaky, deceptive and unstoppable in his search for the answers to the odd murders of some of Chicago's rich and famous. I don't think this drags at all. In fact, Kolchak is so energetic in his investigation that he's right in the middle of a police raid and even goes so far as to fake being an officer to get a ballistics report about a murder. And the most impressive thing about that is he does it while in the police station. The "monster" is even a bit inspired primarily because it's our good friend Kanamit Richard Keil! This time, he plays an eight-foot tall Indian and is practically spry while doing so (well, spry for Richard Kiel).

My Rating: 8 - Very Good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:40 pm 

This is when McGavin started to have fun with the role, Whit. Hell, look at the title image, Carl is flipping the bird to the audience as he wards off the monster with the mirror. :D This is when Kolchak becomes a little more know the ropes and maneuver around the cops - as his every cop knows about him - reputation that precedes him proclaims.

Although I do love the fact that Richard Kiel is our 8 foot Indian spirit, Diablero, the premise is still strained for me. Thank god Kiel returned in "The Spanish Moss Murders" and redeemed himself and the show.

What makes this episode bad? I blame our writers, L. Ford Neale and John Huff. Their other contributions were Mr. R.I.N.G. and The Sentry - 2 other winners. Well, to be fair, Mr. R.I.N.G. wasn't as bad as this episode. They were very character driven writers without any true meat to make their stories pop. Just my take on it anyway.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:23 pm 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

My Mood: Neutral
This thread is over two years old, so what I write may go unread. Regardless, I wanted to contribute to the discussion of the Night Stalker episodes. This show was my clear favorite as a kid back in the 70s. I'm currently in the process of re-watching the twenty episodes for the umpteenth time. If I'm going to add my two cents on the series, I figured I may as well begin with the toughest episode for me to accurately rank/rate.

This episode was always in the bottom 5-7 episodes for me, but after a recent viewing, I'm not as down on it. The Diablero is an okay idea that is poorly executed. There is little suspense in the "creature" scenes and the ending (always crucial) is rather lame.

On the other hand, this episode contains classic scenes, such as the telephone bit between Carl, Emily, and Ron. Brilliant stuff! Likewise with another good scene between Kolchak and Vincenzo - we'll call it the cave dweller scene. In addition, as another poster pointed out, Kolchak is relentless in the pursuit of his story. Great acting from McGavin and cool shenanigans from Kolchak in this one. The episode definitely moves along at a good pace and never bores.

Ultimately, I think the episode must rank somewhere near the middle of the pack. Great parts, less than great monster of the week.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:05 pm 

Welcome to PtE, LedCollector!

Nice review :D I'm glad to see we have another Kolchak fan among us. This show was also among my childhood favorites and still holds a warm fuzzy in my memory banks.

We have no time limits on our show threads - so - dead is never truly dead, they are just not written about for a while. Thanks for waking this one up again.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:43 pm 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

Hey, I'm happy to be here. There aren't too many places on the internet to discuss Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I plan on writing reviews of each of the twenty episodes, saving my very favorites for last. Hopefully, it'll stir up some kind of discussion.

Thanks for the welcome.

john

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:07 pm 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

ledcollector wrote:
Hey, I'm happy to be here. There aren't too many places on the internet to discuss Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I plan on writing reviews of each of the twenty episodes, saving my very favorites for last. Hopefully, it'll stir up some kind of discussion.

Thanks for the welcome.

john

Welcome to the board ledcollector. :D

I look forward to reading your reviews.
I suppose now is the time and place to admit that I remember very little about Kolchak. In fact, I don't remember seeing any episodes that I recall, other than little bits and pieces here and there over the years.

Guess I better hop to it.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:44 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Led,

Please keep posting your thoughts. I always "view unread posts" so if you post it, many of us will see it. The best part about this board is the opinions about TV and movies.

No thread is too old...