Guest Stars:
Nita Talbot ........ Paula Griffon
Henry Jones ........ Captain Julian Wells
Eric Braeden ....... Bernhardt Stieglitz
Richard Gautier .... Mel Tarter
Bob Hastings ....... Hallem
Dort Clark ......... Gribs
Jackie Russell ..... Wendy

Pacific Ocean: Kolchak is assigned to cover the last voyage of the Cruise Liner Hanover. With the fresh salt seas, ocean air & big bright full moon, what could be gnawing the passengers and crew?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:02 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
This episode had a wonderful premise - a werewolf let loose aboard an ocean liner. It had a good cast, Nita Talbot, Dick Gautier, Henry Jones, & Eric Braeden, yet it just didn't work. The main reason, I feel, was the lack luster make-up job of the werewolf and just the over-all preposterous nature of the crew and their reactions. I mean I know the ship was being decommissioned and all, but the purser was obviously selling stolen or at minimum questionable goods. Other lack luster and intrinsically odd events just make this episode seemed rushed and not thought out as well as it should and could have.

3!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:24 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Not to disagree with, DrMoreau, for disagreement sake, but I do disagree. The Love Boat hadn't hit the air or the waves yet so being on board a cruise ship was an unusual occurrence for ghost or paranormal oddities. The Purser in question was Jimmy "Tommy Bailey" Hawkins from "It's a Wonderful Life." To see him go from squeaky clean to petty thief would have old George Bailey turning in his grave.

Now, obviously as soon as we see Eric Braeden, Combat & Rat Patrol, we know he is the bad guy. Hard to escape that stigma. But, as it is often pointed out on this board, the journey often overpowers the destination; as is the case here. We know who the Werewolf is, now lets find out how Kolchak discovers & proves this. Nita Talbot, one of Hollywood's "it" girls is also marvelous in this too. Although in her early forties here, she could still easily pass for being in her thirties. Sharp witted and nice too look at, she keeps this episode and Carl Kolchak moving along nicely. I would have liked to see her pop up in subsequent Kolchak episodes, but since the show only lasted a season, it just wasn't meant to be. Henry Jones as our Captain is also rock solid and dead on as a veteran Captain taking his ship out for its last voyage only to have someone like Kolchak on board to ruin the whole damn thing. His body language and facial expressions are timeless classics; very reminiscent of Mr. Mulligans hero, Buster Keaton.

The story moves smoothly and never really lags other then some time killing filler via Dick Gautier, who probably should have been used more in the Updyke character mold rather then the shipboard swinger. It is suspenseful and mysterious; two criterias for this show & genre.

8/10

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:59 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Well, this is the first "Kolchak" episode that had me wishing it would end sooner than later. In fact, the best thing about it was the big talking, womanizing Mel Tarter, played by the dynamic Dick Gautier. And I swear, Darrin McGavin seemed distracted or uninterested or something. It struck me as very strange. I guess I was a little impressed by the stunt werewolf as well. The guy was flying all over the place.

My Rating: 4 - Fair

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:04 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
whitsbrain wrote:
And I swear, Darrin McGavin seemed distracted or uninterested or something. It struck me as very strange.

Yep, he basically phoned this episode in. Sometimes he clicked but most the time it was just hit the cues.